Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 13:11 - May 24 with 3015 viewsIpswichRising

Sheffield Wednesday fans are moaning at the use of VAR for Monday's play off final, they are probably scared at getting players sent off and goals chalked off for offside, how ironic would it be for them to lose by having a goal ruled out
VAR on 13:13 - May 24 with 2960 viewshoppy

Do they realise it will be used for both teams?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

VAR on 13:14 - May 24 with 2944 viewsHerbivore

Sheffield Wednesday fans moaning about something? Surely not!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

VAR on 13:22 - May 24 with 2911 viewsSheffordBlue

I do think it's odd it's come in for the final only. Would be better to have the same standards for the whole season in my opinion.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

VAR on 13:34 - May 24 with 2849 viewsyorkshireblue

VAR on 13:22 - May 24 by SheffordBlue

I do think it's odd it's come in for the final only. Would be better to have the same standards for the whole season in my opinion.

Yeah I agree.

Which is what the Owls I've spoken to have mentioned. I've not seen any complaints, per se, just that it's odd or annoyance in general about VAR.

Lots of "we don't want it as it's rubbish" rather than "we don't want it as it disadvatages us"
VAR on 14:10 - May 24 with 2729 viewsEastTownBlue

It doesn’t bother me in the play offs. When the Premier League clubs enter the FA Cup third round where their grounds have VAR and non PL grounds don’t it doesn’t make sense.
VAR on 14:17 - May 24 with 2707 viewsRadlett_blue

The usual irrational position where people object to change.
One is entitled to dislike the advent of VAR, but the theory behind it is that more correct decisions are reached & some howlers are over-ruled. It is not designed to help any time. Therefore, objecting to its use in a one off final - with a lot of stake - is irrational. Of course, fans of both Wednesday & Barnsley will moan about the introduction of VAR if it leads to a decision against their team and/or if their team loses the final.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR on 14:26 - May 24 with 2657 viewsSheffordBlue

VAR on 14:17 - May 24 by Radlett_blue

One is entitled to dislike the advent of VAR, but the theory behind it is that more correct decisions are reached & some howlers are over-ruled. It is not designed to help any time. Therefore, objecting to its use in a one off final - with a lot of stake - is irrational. Of course, fans of both Wednesday & Barnsley will moan about the introduction of VAR if it leads to a decision against their team and/or if their team loses the final.

I take your point but I think there's an element of 'fairness' at play here that comes from having the same officiating standards throughout the entire competition and that includes the potential for wrong decisions.

I think VAR would have sent a Sheff Weds player off in the 2nd leg of their semi. In the final they could benefit from exactly the same circumstances leading to a Barnsley player being sent off by VAR. One fewer incorrect decision - Yes. Fair - I don't think so.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

VAR on 14:28 - May 24 with 2649 viewsSE1blue

I can understand a little bit of their 'annoyance' as it does smack a little of 'we can't be arsed to invest in VAR for lower league clubs but now you're at our home of football, we can't allow any embarrassing errors' etc.

There have been some terrible decisions and refereeing this season, so if what you say about VAR is true and it's worth having, then they should have stumped up and invested in this for everyone earlier. Huge amounts of potential income rests on footballing decisions each week for smaller clubs, not just at the play-off final.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 14:49 - May 24 with 2578 viewsRadlett_blue

VAR on 14:28 - May 24 by SE1blue

I can understand a little bit of their 'annoyance' as it does smack a little of 'we can't be arsed to invest in VAR for lower league clubs but now you're at our home of football, we can't allow any embarrassing errors' etc.

There have been some terrible decisions and refereeing this season, so if what you say about VAR is true and it's worth having, then they should have stumped up and invested in this for everyone earlier. Huge amounts of potential income rests on footballing decisions each week for smaller clubs, not just at the play-off final.

The PL has the money to fund VAR. The football League doesn't. It's available at Wembley so it's irrational not to use it.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 9:25]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

VAR on 15:00 - May 24 with 2538 viewsITFC_Forever

Didn't do Forest any harm last season .... wasn't VAR used and still didn't overrule the incomptent, waddling, last-game-before-retirement Moss for the two penalties Hudds should have had?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

VAR on 15:06 - May 24 with 2501 viewsKeno

VAR on 15:00 - May 24 by ITFC_Forever

Didn't do Forest any harm last season .... wasn't VAR used and still didn't overrule the incomptent, waddling, last-game-before-retirement Moss for the two penalties Hudds should have had?

If only there had been VAR in 1975!!!

That cheating ******* **** Welsh ******* **** B'stard wouldnt have cost up the FA Cup

Not that I am still bitter about it anything
[Post edited 24 May 2023 15:06]

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

VAR on 15:22 - May 24 with 2432 viewshoppy

Had it been in place through the season, there would've been several decisions even just in our own games that would've made big differences - Harness' disallowed goal, a Sheff Weds player being sent off at PR in the first half after review on VAR just a couple of examples... but being the same for both teams in a one-off final if it's available, makes sense to use it, rather than switch it off and wishing later it hadn't been.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

VAR on 15:31 - May 24 with 2380 viewsGeoffSentence

VAR on 15:06 - May 24 by Keno

If only there had been VAR in 1975!!!

That cheating ******* **** Welsh ******* **** B'stard wouldnt have cost up the FA Cup

Not that I am still bitter about it anything
[Post edited 24 May 2023 15:06]

If we'd had it this season we probably would have four more points vs Sheffield Wednsday and two more vs Barnsley

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

VAR on 15:51 - May 24 with 2297 viewsBasuco

Why would anyone not want the correct decision to be made? The fact that the video referee's are sometimes unable to come to the correct decision even with slow motion replay's is another question.
VAR on 15:59 - May 24 with 2270 viewsSE1blue

VAR on 14:49 - May 24 by Radlett_blue

The PL has the money to fund VAR. The football League doesn't. It's available at Wembley so it's irrational not to use it.
[Post edited 25 May 2023 9:25]

Oh I agree, you don't drink PG Tips at afternoon tea in the Ritz.

I just think it should be all in for everyone, all season.

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

VAR on 17:20 - May 24 with 2078 viewsTrequartista

I think the same standards should apply at all levels of professional football, i.e. get rid of VAR

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR on 19:36 - May 24 with 1895 viewsArnieM

According to a number of Owls fans on FB only 1 fan racially abused their manager. So they also have selective memory.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

VAR on 19:56 - May 24 with 1860 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

If a VAR decision goes against them it will still be Moore’s fault.
VAR on 20:05 - May 24 with 1839 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’m the opposite. It’s a shame they’re only using it in 1 game, but 1 is better than none.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

VAR on 20:46 - May 24 with 1779 viewsNutkins_Return

VAR on 15:22 - May 24 by hoppy

Had it been in place through the season, there would've been several decisions even just in our own games that would've made big differences - Harness' disallowed goal, a Sheff Weds player being sent off at PR in the first half after review on VAR just a couple of examples... but being the same for both teams in a one-off final if it's available, makes sense to use it, rather than switch it off and wishing later it hadn't been.

Yep. Can't understand the problem whatsoever. It's a final. They will get the best officials available at this level also which isn't the case for every match. They are playing at Wembley which isn't available in the season etc etc. Non story. People listen to much to the likes of Shearer slating VAR. It's improved massively but nobody talks about that because the moaning rhetoric was set.

On VAR more generally I for one would have bloody loved VAR this season. We would have won the league. (Not really the point - change happens, progress happens. Seldom ever smooth).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024