Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna interview in the Guardian 09:06 - May 14 with 5558 viewsIscaBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/may/14/ipswich-kieran-mckenna-its-more

Was a nice surprise scrolling through the app this morning to see the badges and McKenna front and centre. Good interview too, he's definitely a football obsessive! Thought the point about not seeking fame was interesting, hopefully means he'll stick around longer with us!
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:20 - May 14 with 4753 viewsNthQldITFC

Lovely Sunday morning read trying to get through the summer withdrawal period, thanks. Looking forward to an ITFC season in the Championship already.

Can anybody tell me though:
Have we got someone who knows exactly what we need?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:30 - May 14 with 4678 viewsfab_lover

It's funny, McK is almost the "perfect" manager if you were creating one from scratch.

Ambitious, yet humble. Experienced, yet young. Has worked at the highest levels, yet came to Ipswich having to prove himself in a new role.

I urge everyone to read that interview, it shows (not that it needs showing) what a lovely yet determined man he is.

My hope is that he is only after one job - at Man U. And he will only go to that after having got us comfortably into the top half of the Prem.

However, there is still a hope that he's so grounded, he's going to ask himself if he wants that sort of spotlight on himself and whether he needs the extra money and stress. Sounds like his family is young, if they settle here who knows he could wait a dozen years and take it on when they leave home.

I so hope we have him here for the long term.
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:48 - May 14 with 4556 viewskiwiblue

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:30 - May 14 by fab_lover

It's funny, McK is almost the "perfect" manager if you were creating one from scratch.

Ambitious, yet humble. Experienced, yet young. Has worked at the highest levels, yet came to Ipswich having to prove himself in a new role.

I urge everyone to read that interview, it shows (not that it needs showing) what a lovely yet determined man he is.

My hope is that he is only after one job - at Man U. And he will only go to that after having got us comfortably into the top half of the Prem.

However, there is still a hope that he's so grounded, he's going to ask himself if he wants that sort of spotlight on himself and whether he needs the extra money and stress. Sounds like his family is young, if they settle here who knows he could wait a dozen years and take it on when they leave home.

Great article thanks for sharing and as others mention lets hope he finds success and happiness in sunny Suffolk. There is nothing like a day on the beach in Walberswick and a pint in the ship in Dunwich.
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:53 - May 14 with 4526 viewsKeno

Good article, great journalist

If only someone like that posted on here

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:01 - May 14 with 4452 viewsBent_double

“When you come home from getting promoted against Exeter and your daughter wants donkey rides around the living room within two minutes, and then you’re up at 6am watching cartoons, it keeps you grounded. You know where your reality is.”

Love it

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:22 - May 14 with 4317 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Would be intrigued to know who he is talking about here and if they are still at the club…

“I also had them with one or two of the players who were here last season, saying they thought it would be difficult getting out of League One playing a brave brand of football where you open the pitch up, play with the ball on the floor, try to make sure it stays in play, build from the back and look to open space up.“

Looking at who left in the summer / last season, could be any of: Norwood, Celina, Bonne, Nsiala, Nolan?
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:28 - May 14 with 4281 viewsWeWereZombies

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:30 - May 14 by fab_lover

It's strange isn't it ? For many the ultimate job would be managing their country but the Northern Ireland job might seem like a step down after Manchester United. I think our best hope is that whoever is in charge at Old Trafford in the coming years will still live in the shadow of Alex Ferguson and McKenna will know that he has to develop his management skills to the highest level to compete with that. Also, he will know that, at the moment, United's backers are more suspect than Town's.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:44 - May 14 with 4138 viewsSimonds92

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:22 - May 14 by Matt_Netherlands

Would be intrigued to know who he is talking about here and if they are still at the club…

“I also had them with one or two of the players who were here last season, saying they thought it would be difficult getting out of League One playing a brave brand of football where you open the pitch up, play with the ball on the floor, try to make sure it stays in play, build from the back and look to open space up.“

Looking at who left in the summer / last season, could be any of: Norwood, Celina, Bonne, Nsiala, Nolan?

Or someone like Morsy who has something like 4 promotions on his CV at the start of last season and knows what it takes to get promoted. Or Woolfenden who was part of the Lambert team who tried to dominate possession. Whoever he's talking about it doesnt mean they didnt fully buy in to it once it was conveyed this is the way we're going to play.
Login to get fewer ads

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:44 - May 14 with 4137 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting. It’s well worth a read.

It’s interesting that there were doubters about what it took to get out of L1 within the club as well as the supporters. McKenna’s approach was proven right.

It wasn’t just that we had good players. Cook had those. It’s how they were used and developed. Those last 15 games, we crushed most teams. We became almost unplayable at that level. The better the opposition, the more we overwhelmed them. Watching the play off games, Barnsley and Bolton are strong for L1. Peterborough have plenty of flair going forwards and are easy on the eye. Good teams. Three away games to them = 8-0.

Luton yesterday is an indicator of the physicality in the Championship, but most teams look as limited as L1, albeit bigger and stronger. Sunderland are the exception (not seen Burnley). They remind me so much of Burley’s team.

I think the article is right. This way of playing will translate to the Championship. The opposition is of course stronger, but so will we be and in fact, I believe better opposition will open themselves up even more to the way we play. Maybe I’m deluded, but I don’t think so.

Finally, I get the impression that McKenna is fully engaged with the club and not going anywhere for the moment. I’m not sure anyone quite knows the potential and from his perspective, with his family settled in Ipswich, why not find out?
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:53 - May 14 with 4033 viewsPinewoodblue

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:44 - May 14 by Churchman

It’s interesting that there were doubters about what it took to get out of L1 within the club as well as the supporters. McKenna’s approach was proven right.

It wasn’t just that we had good players. Cook had those. It’s how they were used and developed. Those last 15 games, we crushed most teams. We became almost unplayable at that level. The better the opposition, the more we overwhelmed them. Watching the play off games, Barnsley and Bolton are strong for L1. Peterborough have plenty of flair going forwards and are easy on the eye. Good teams. Three away games to them = 8-0.

Luton yesterday is an indicator of the physicality in the Championship, but most teams look as limited as L1, albeit bigger and stronger. Sunderland are the exception (not seen Burnley). They remind me so much of Burley’s team.

I think the article is right. This way of playing will translate to the Championship. The opposition is of course stronger, but so will we be and in fact, I believe better opposition will open themselves up even more to the way we play. Maybe I’m deluded, but I don’t think so.

Finally, I get the impression that McKenna is fully engaged with the club and not going anywhere for the moment. I’m not sure anyone quite knows the potential and from his perspective, with his family settled in Ipswich, why not find out?

Feel confident that the squad assembled between now and 5th August will be strong enough to succeed in the season ahead.

Much as I did the last time we were promoted. My manager, at that time, was a strong Chelsea fan and was keen on taking my money on a bet on which team would finish higher. I only accepted the bet when he raised the odds on Ipswich finishing higher to 10/1.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:00 - May 14 with 3966 viewsITFC_Forever

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:53 - May 14 by Keno

Good article, great journalist

If only someone like that posted on here

There’s Something good about that article.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:01 - May 14 with 3966 viewsnorfsufblue

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:01 - May 14 by Bent_double

“When you come home from getting promoted against Exeter and your daughter wants donkey rides around the living room within two minutes, and then you’re up at 6am watching cartoons, it keeps you grounded. You know where your reality is.”

Love it

Honestly, that was the paragraph that got me .... and I really don't well up easily, that gave me a that warm feeling inside and a " come on ,stiff upper lip " moment
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:02 - May 14 with 3962 viewsIllinoisblue

Saw it linked on twitter. Didn’t have to wait long for a salty Plymouth fan to chime in!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:05 - May 14 with 3934 viewsRyorry

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 10:44 - May 14 by Churchman

I was one of those who thought we needed a more muscular, 'agricultural', traditional L1 style to get promoted - but that IF we made it, we'd be well set up for the Champ & would actually find it less of a struggle than we did L1 during our autumn-winter 'blip'.

Delighted to be proved wrong on the first part of that, hope to be proved right on the second!

Poll: Time of the annunciation

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:10 - May 14 with 3907 viewswkj

Always happy to see a town story from Nick Ames, TWTD royalty.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:28 - May 14 with 3836 viewsChurchman

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:05 - May 14 by Ryorry

I was one of those who thought we needed a more muscular, 'agricultural', traditional L1 style to get promoted - but that IF we made it, we'd be well set up for the Champ & would actually find it less of a struggle than we did L1 during our autumn-winter 'blip'.

Delighted to be proved wrong on the first part of that, hope to be proved right on the second!

I know I felt we needed a bit more of the agricultural, if only as plan B, which we seemed to lack. I was wrong, as usual.

I think having a better pitch will help. The ground staff did wonders with what we had last season, but a modern pitch will help, especially through the winter months.
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:44 - May 14 with 3767 viewsgtsb1966

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:02 - May 14 by Illinoisblue

Saw it linked on twitter. Didn’t have to wait long for a salty Plymouth fan to chime in!

Let's see how this develops. https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/guardian-today-on-mckenna.123455/
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:45 - May 14 with 3736 viewsRyorry

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:28 - May 14 by Churchman

I know I felt we needed a bit more of the agricultural, if only as plan B, which we seemed to lack. I was wrong, as usual.

I think having a better pitch will help. The ground staff did wonders with what we had last season, but a modern pitch will help, especially through the winter months.

Indeed, at other grounds as well as PR.

Another fact I was unaware of (which looking back on it may well have helped us last season) - he'd gained "broader experience by studying sports science at Loughborough".

We now look, thankfully, like being poles apart from the treatment-room mis-management & serial-re-injury situation under ME.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 12:08 - May 14 with 3584 viewsWickets

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 09:48 - May 14 by kiwiblue

Great article thanks for sharing and as others mention lets hope he finds success and happiness in sunny Suffolk. There is nothing like a day on the beach in Walberswick and a pint in the ship in Dunwich.

Or a full English at Crumbs in Mildenhall !
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 12:12 - May 14 with 3547 viewsleitrimblue

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 12:08 - May 14 by Wickets

Or a full English at Crumbs in Mildenhall !

Pukka pie and greasy chips from Bennys bar BQ in Haverhill. Preferably eaten on the p1ssy steps of the town hall across the road
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 12:32 - May 14 with 3409 viewsWeWereZombies

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:45 - May 14 by Ryorry

Indeed, at other grounds as well as PR.

Another fact I was unaware of (which looking back on it may well have helped us last season) - he'd gained "broader experience by studying sports science at Loughborough".

We now look, thankfully, like being poles apart from the treatment-room mis-management & serial-re-injury situation under ME.

I was also gratified to see his appreciation for the development of his critical thinking in that time.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 12:33 - May 14 with 3401 viewsDJR

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:28 - May 14 by Churchman

I think we did get a bit more agricultural, or direct, during our fantastic end to the season.

In other words, we mixed it up a bit more, and it seems to me that this was something that McKenna instigated, having seen Plan A Pure get a bit bogged down.

In effect, we ended up with Plan A+, which involved long balls on occasions and playing it more through the middle, but the new players undoubtedly helped in making it successful.
[Post edited 14 May 2023 12:36]
McKenna interview in the Guardian on 13:04 - May 14 with 3210 viewsIllinoisblue

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:44 - May 14 by gtsb1966

Let's see how this develops. https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/guardian-today-on-mckenna.123455/

Too much green on that site but it’s going as you’d expect.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 13:09 - May 14 with 3184 viewsLankHenners

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 11:02 - May 14 by Illinoisblue

I try to ignore league one tit for tat stuff now as it's boring but have to say I've really gone off Plymouth since the season's ended. Can't see a tweet, article etc. about anybody or anything else without their fans chiming demanding they get some attention.

Genuinely not sure I've ever seen such a needy desperate fanbase online as theirs. Very small time behaviour.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 13:35 - May 14 with 3072 viewsChurchman

McKenna interview in the Guardian on 13:09 - May 14 by LankHenners

I try to ignore league one tit for tat stuff now as it's boring but have to say I've really gone off Plymouth since the season's ended. Can't see a tweet, article etc. about anybody or anything else without their fans chiming demanding they get some attention.

Genuinely not sure I've ever seen such a needy desperate fanbase online as theirs. Very small time behaviour.

Agreed, Plymouth have been a bit annoying with their attention seeking. Why are they so bothered? They won the division and have a good team. They’ve done well.

But they’re never going to get the same level of attention as Wednesday, ourselves or say Derby. It’s just how it is - any more than we would/will if we wind up competing with clubs bigger than us. It’s how the media works and who cares anyway? Tomorrow’s chip paper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024