Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? 11:58 - Apr 18 with 3396 viewsmattrolow

Hear me out here - I would obviously be gutted if we didn't make it now.

However, what a time to be an Ipswich fan again. Everything is so positive, if we don't go up this year then we've got an unbelievable squad ready to go again next year.

It might be the third tier but what a joy it is to support this team again.

On the flipside - Plymouth are enjoying their run, but judging by their comments they're viewing it as an opportunity they won't get again so there is some pressure and inevitable disappointment if they don't make it.

Wednesday fans - well we know they weren't even happy at the top. They don't have a manager they believe in, the squad is ageing and I don't know how confident they will be if they don't make it this year. Imagine there would be a lot of negativity around.

So therefore is the pressure on us the lowest, in some ways?

Not discounting Barnsley to make it either.
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:01 - Apr 18 with 2560 viewsDubtractor

I will be gutted if we don't go up.

Not getting promoted would be a terrible end to the season.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:09 - Apr 18 with 2499 viewspointofblue

If we don’t go up it will be a monumental failure. Simple as that.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:12 - Apr 18 with 2457 viewschicoazul

Not sure what you mean really but as I have said for months, failure to get promoted this year after everything would be the greatest failure in our history.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:12 - Apr 18 with 2451 viewsmattrolow

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:09 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

If we don’t go up it will be a monumental failure. Simple as that.

But wouldn't we be in an even better situation than we started the season with?

The team will have been together for 6/7 months and we would, realistically, only need to replace or sign Hirst for the first XI at least.

I agree we're in a huge position and have invested in the team. But this isn't our one shot, what we're building is impressive and exciting.

Don't get me wrong, we should do it from here and I would be gutted if we didn't make it. But I'm just looking at the bigger picture.
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:13 - Apr 18 with 2447 viewsgainsboroughblue

It's the consequences of not going up that concerns me. We have built an incredible feel around the place, players seem committed and we have a potential future PL manager in charge. A summer kicking the heels knowing you're still in the third tier with vultures eyeing your best players and manager could feel a long time.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:15 - Apr 18 with 2414 viewsTractorCam

Failing to go up from this position would be the most upset i've been as a Town fan, even more than when we got relegated.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 with 2389 viewshomer_123

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:12 - Apr 18 by mattrolow

The team will have been together for 6/7 months and we would, realistically, only need to replace or sign Hirst for the first XI at least.

I agree we're in a huge position and have invested in the team. But this isn't our one shot, what we're building is impressive and exciting.

Don't get me wrong, we should do it from here and I would be gutted if we didn't make it. But I'm just looking at the bigger picture.

You assume the team stays together if we don't go up.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 with 2392 viewsNthQldITFC

I hear you, but still one game at a time for me.

On the subject of Wednesday fans, I can't quite believe that it's less than a month since their defeat to Barnsley and subsequent implosion. If you look at Owlstalk page 20 (~20th March) and backwards, a very large proportion of them seemed to be so certain they had the league sewn up, that Darren Moore was a miracle worker, and that they'd forgotten how to lose.

I think the majority of them were actually very happy and confident at the top; it's been a phenomenal collapse and the sort of thing that lives in a club's psyche for a good few years after all the current players and staff have left. I feel a bit of pity for them. Not much but.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 with 2388 viewstractorboy1978

We are financially in a position where we won't be getting bullied but we are still susceptible to having to sell our ambitious, best players or to losing our outstanding young manager.

We need to be in the Championship to be able to really blossom and kick on as club. This league isn't going to be any easier next year, there will be 3/4 strong sides competing for the top 2. We need out of it fast.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2023 12:19]
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:21 - Apr 18 with 2350 viewsCoastalblue

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:12 - Apr 18 by chicoazul

Not sure what you mean really but as I have said for months, failure to get promoted this year after everything would be the greatest failure in our history.

You were also saying we weren't going to even make the playoffs not very long ago, so perhaps pinch of salt required.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:21 - Apr 18 with 2346 viewsclive_baker

I mean it would be absolutely gutting if we don't go up. Reading between the lines of your post, we perhaps NEED it slightly less than Wednesday in the very short term, given the age profile of their key squad members. The best thing they could do is to go up and take the opportunity to overhaul the squad to consolidate in the Championship. 7 or 8 additions, few loans, 8-10 departures.

I don't think we need anything like that level of change, and if we don't go up we'll probably be favourites to next season. But it would be gutting, and feel like a wasted opportunity. The thought of fecking Fleetwood and Accrington again next season makes me want to scream.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:23 - Apr 18 with 2330 viewsjayessess

I wouldn't say "least disappointed" - think Barnsley and Plymouth are the two who could say they'd given it a good go but were always up against it.

I might say that we're the club it would probably damage the least? Finances are fine, 21k already there for next season, not many loanees, nor many key players nearing retirement, no real pressure to sell good players. We'd go again next season just fine.

Plymouth - I think they'd struggle to repeat this season - like MK Dons they'll lose half a team of players in expiring loans, might have to sell others.
Sheffield Wednesday - Would be in total disarray, probably a total overhaul under a new manager and with an incompetent ownership group.
Barnsley - In a similar situation to Plymouth.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2023 12:26]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:24 - Apr 18 with 2319 viewsRobTheMonk

Definitely want to go up, but we've built the infrastructure to challenge next season if things don't go to plan.

I think the way we've been playing these past 12 games, to miss out now would be hugely disappointing. In the grand scheme of things, we're guaranteed a playoff place which is huge progress on where we had been, but yes, we really need to capitialise on it.
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:26 - Apr 18 with 2301 viewsTractorCam

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 by NthQldITFC

On the subject of Wednesday fans, I can't quite believe that it's less than a month since their defeat to Barnsley and subsequent implosion. If you look at Owlstalk page 20 (~20th March) and backwards, a very large proportion of them seemed to be so certain they had the league sewn up, that Darren Moore was a miracle worker, and that they'd forgotten how to lose.

I think the majority of them were actually very happy and confident at the top; it's been a phenomenal collapse and the sort of thing that lives in a club's psyche for a good few years after all the current players and staff have left. I feel a bit of pity for them. Not much but.

No surprise, there were Ipswich fans who were rooting for them to beat Barnsley as they thought they were already champions.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:27 - Apr 18 with 2287 viewschicoazul

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:21 - Apr 18 by Coastalblue

You were also saying we weren't going to even make the playoffs not very long ago, so perhaps pinch of salt required.

I’m not wrong about not going up. Unless you disagree?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:27 - Apr 18 with 2286 viewsclive_baker

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:15 - Apr 18 by TractorCam

Failing to go up from this position would be the most upset i've been as a Town fan, even more than when we got relegated.

Same. I think the disappointment would be because we really deserve this. Of course it was a shame to get relegated but we didn't deserve to stay up, so the disappointment was tempered somewhat for me. Same under Mick, after that Norwich defeat of course there was disappointment, especially losing to them, but above all there was pride in the squad and the nature of how we had competed. We punched above our weight really, we lost to a better team on the day and if we're honest we weren't quite at that level. The top 2 went up, next 2 got to the final and team that came 3rd won it. It's hard to argue with that really.

This year is completely different. We're the best side in the division, humping sides at a canter, and anything less than promotion would be such a sucker punch, seeing 3 lesser sides than us getting the reward.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:28 - Apr 18 with 2262 viewsOldFart71

I think it was season 80-81 when Town should have won the League. Games in hand and points in hand. The big difference was the number of games left until the end of the season and a raft of injuries to vital players and a much smaller squad. We have an amazing chance now of automatic promotion. I have said all along that I don't want playoffs as firstly they are unfair and secondly a complete lottery. We can and must get automatic promotion. We are definitely capable and the best team in this league despite being second. I do believe there's every chance we will be top after tonoghts games. At the end of the day it's application by the players and as KM has indicated the crowd can play their part. No silly mistakes and take our inevitable chance we win.
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:31 - Apr 18 with 2224 viewsN2_Blue

No it could be quite damaging, and every single fan, supporter, player, staff would be be more than disappointed...i'd say gutted. That can cause a hangover into next season potentially.

Gamechanger my begin to worry promotion is not as straightforward from this division as they thought and reign back spending. It would become increasingly difficult to hold on to players like Chaplin, Burns, Morsy etc. We may not need the money but when a player starts angling for a move because they want to play at a higher level they rarely reach the same heights even if they stayed. Morsy hasn't got many year's to play at Champ level.

Even Mckenna could begin to look elsewhere as he would definitely be sought after, especially if next season had its own challenges.

Whilst i'm sure we'd have every chance of promotion next year IF we didn't get promoted its not a risk i want to even contemplate. I think we will secure promotion and deservedly so.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2023 12:34]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:32 - Apr 18 with 2211 viewsIllinoisblue

It would be a disaster if we don’t go up. Starting next season at home to Stevenage is not what anybody needs. For all the talk of patience and long term project, now is absolutely the time to go up.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:34 - Apr 18 with 2181 viewsjayessess

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 by homer_123

You assume the team stays together if we don't go up.

I think there's very few players who look like realistic targets for other clubs, really.

There's not that much money for fees in the Championship, really only the 3 relegated clubs are in a position to pay the kind of money we'd ask for our players and they don't tend to look very hard at L1 players.

Only players I'd really worry about are Davis and Woolfenden, who are young enough and good enough to get that kind of move, then Chaplin and Morsy, who are entering the last 12 months of their contracts.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:35 - Apr 18 with 2135 viewsstickymockwell

I'd be soooo gutted.
I want to see what this team can do in the championship. Morsey and Luongo at their age probably only have next season together.
If KM could get a 15 million kitty or possibly a bit more, then 3 or 4 quality additions will set us up for a real go in the top half next year I reckon.
I seriously don't want another year in L1

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:39 - Apr 18 with 2108 viewsPlums

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:18 - Apr 18 by NthQldITFC

How much of that collapse is due to our comeback at PR with them two up? After an awful 40 mins from us and a missed opportunity to finish the game before half time, they were lucky (and grateful) to get a point.

It's possible that was the point at which the doubt crept in. We've built from there, they've crumbled.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:42 - Apr 18 with 2073 viewsBigCommon

100% agree with everything you've said....
If we don't go up, it's a set back, that is all. It's certainly not the disaster some are making it out to be.
Just think some are leaving scope for a mighty meltdown,(just in case). Instead of revelling in us, winning games, breaking records, packing out the stadium.And enjoying a style of play and squad of players, the likes of which, we haven't seen in years..
We win tonight, we set a new club record for points gained in league season. How anyone can consider that a disaster, should we not go up, is bizarre.
Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:44 - Apr 18 with 2045 viewsIllinoisblue

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:42 - Apr 18 by BigCommon

100% agree with everything you've said....
If we don't go up, it's a set back, that is all. It's certainly not the disaster some are making it out to be.
Just think some are leaving scope for a mighty meltdown,(just in case). Instead of revelling in us, winning games, breaking records, packing out the stadium.And enjoying a style of play and squad of players, the likes of which, we haven't seen in years..
We win tonight, we set a new club record for points gained in league season. How anyone can consider that a disaster, should we not go up, is bizarre.

It’s Division 3, mate.

62 - 78 - 81

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:46 - Apr 18 with 2033 viewsIllinoisblue

Would we be the least disappointed to not go up? on 12:39 - Apr 18 by Plums

How much of that collapse is due to our comeback at PR with them two up? After an awful 40 mins from us and a missed opportunity to finish the game before half time, they were lucky (and grateful) to get a point.

It's possible that was the point at which the doubt crept in. We've built from there, they've crumbled.

There were some on owlstalk who brought up the 2-2 as a turning point. Although they won the next 5 games after that so it doesn’t really check out.

62 - 78 - 81

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024