Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' 11:51 - Mar 28 with 5167 viewsiamipswich

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-clubs-race-to-sign-ipswich-town-recor

No clubs named. Seems an obvious story to run given our defensive form but Pete O' Rourke is probably one of the more credible journalists in the Transfer space.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 12:08]

Poll: Who will return first?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 13:38 - Mar 28 with 961 viewsGeoffSentence

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 12:47 - Mar 28 by homer_123

Yep, he's had a shocker of the season.

Offload him ASAP.

People have gone massively over the top when complaining about his form this season. That article is doing the same the other way. Superlatives like 'stand out performer' and 'stunning form' are more of a reflection of the defensive quality of the team as a whole rather than CW as an individual.
In the last few games he has had to dig us out a little with a couple of penalty saves, but generally it isn't CW alone that has kept that clean sheet run going, and I am sure he'd agree.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:39 - Mar 28 with 958 viewshomer_123

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:16 - Mar 28 by tractorboy1978

The problem (or good thing for us) is that Championship clubs are not going to meet our valuations for players. Ashton said only a few days ago that players are worth 4/5 times more in the Championship than in L1. That is an exaggerated multiplier but we aren't going to suddenly sell Davis for example for £3m when we know he's a £10m+ player in waiting. We have all our big assets on decent contracts and we don't need to sell.

I think only a small number would be able to, yes. It is a good thing.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:39 - Mar 28 with 958 viewsNthQldITFC

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 12:41 - Mar 28 by Zx1988

I think that, regardless of what happens this season, this coming summer will see the first test of the club's new stance on transfers, and the degree of buy-in from the fans.

I would think that there are no players within the squad that are not for sale, whatever the cost. Ashton will have an idea of the worth of each player, and the level of fee for which the club would allow them to leave. If a club matches that valuation, and the player wants to move on, no doubt they will do so with the club's blessing.

The real test of Ashton's (and, no doubt, McKenna's) mettle and transfer acumen, will be the players that are lined up to fill any such gap in the squad. I know Ashton has been quoted in past roles as saying that he always has a shortlist of four replacement players for every position, and I reckon we'll be seeing that come into play this summer.

Will I like it straight off the bat? Probably not. But it's the model that the club is now following. It's worked for the likes of Brentford and Brighton, so why shouldn't it work for us? The challenge will be to remain civil with the "OMG, WE JUST SOLD NATHAN BROADHURST. AshToN OUt!!1!!11!" crowd.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2023 14:36]

Yup. There's certainly no lack of investment here, and if we sell but keep investing and developing the club we, the baying hordes, have got learn to keep our sh!t together and see the bigger, brighter picture.

Or else that Texas Ranger chappie they've just hired will come along and pop a cap etc.

COYB!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 13:52 - Mar 28 with 905 viewsPinewoodblue

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 13:11 - Mar 28 by Illinoisblue

Welcome to Division 3

Don’t you mean Div 3?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:22 - Mar 28 with 880 viewsitfcjoe

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:36 - Mar 28 by homer_123

Broady, Chapers (26) both fit that category.

The wider point is that we will likely consider any serious offers for players, regardless of how important they are to us.

I wouldn't say so, not may players of 27-28 getting big moves to parachute rich clubs or PL clubs - they are here and now signings

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:30 - Mar 28 with 869 viewstextbackup

I think that, regardless of what happens this season, this coming summer will see the first test of the club's new stance on transfers, and the degree of buy-in from the fans.

I would think that there are no players within the squad that are not for sale, whatever the cost. Ashton will have an idea of the worth of each player, and the level of fee for which the club would allow them to leave. If a club matches that valuation, and the player wants to move on, no doubt they will do so with the club's blessing.

The real test of Ashton's (and, no doubt, McKenna's) mettle and transfer acumen, will be the players that are lined up to fill any such gap in the squad. I know Ashton has been quoted in past roles as saying that he always has a shortlist of four replacement players for every position, and I reckon we'll be seeing that come into play this summer.

Will I like it straight off the bat? Probably not. But it's the model that the club is now following. It's worked for the likes of Brentford and Brighton, so why shouldn't it work for us? The challenge will be to remain civil with the "OMG, WE JUST SOLD NATHAN BROADHURST. AshToN OUt!!1!!11!" crowd.

Every player has their price.

I accepted a long time ago that we will likely sell players if the right price is offered… however, I trust MA to get that high price AND to replace said play with quality and high sell on value

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:31 - Mar 28 with 861 viewshomer_123

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:22 - Mar 28 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't say so, not may players of 27-28 getting big moves to parachute rich clubs or PL clubs - they are here and now signings

There's more than a few though Joe. Off the top of my head Matt Richie, Kodija, Afobe, Assombalonga and Rhodes all went for decent money wen in their late 20s. All between Championship Clubs.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:49 - Mar 28 with 799 viewsitfcjoe

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:31 - Mar 28 by homer_123

There's more than a few though Joe. Off the top of my head Matt Richie, Kodija, Afobe, Assombalonga and Rhodes all went for decent money wen in their late 20s. All between Championship Clubs.

I just don't think we see those Champ clubs spending that sort of money post Covid - not the sort to make the massive profits which this sort of model would require.

Whereas a Leif Davis could become a £15m player, someone like a Chaplin or Broadhead realistically if everything went perfectly are going to top out somewhere south of £5m at absolute best.

We've bought a lot of players in that 25-28 range

Login to get fewer ads

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:54 - Mar 28 with 775 viewsBlueandTruesince82

The club still has to be sustainable long term, despite now being well funded that will need to come back so offers will be accepted though maybe not if we don't go up as think the owners see that as a priority so perhaps only silly money then.

Ashton ( despite what Brizzle would have us belive) always illicited top money out of buying clubs) how much did well sell them Webster for? How much did they sell him for a season later? They made about 10 million off him I think. If the right money comes in everyone wi be for sale but if we don't go up i think they will look to build on a hugely positive season, 9 years out of 10 we go up with the sort of points total I think we can achieve.

I'm OK with it all myself, we can't expect unlimited spunkage of dosh, those firefighters want to be able to retire

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 14:58 - Mar 28 with 772 viewsOsborneOneNil

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 12:00 - Mar 28 by itfcjoe

Reads like he wants a new contract

There is truth is this. He loves Ipswich, but we do need to go up.
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:02 - Mar 28 with 761 viewsdavblue

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 13:38 - Mar 28 by GeoffSentence

People have gone massively over the top when complaining about his form this season. That article is doing the same the other way. Superlatives like 'stand out performer' and 'stunning form' are more of a reflection of the defensive quality of the team as a whole rather than CW as an individual.
In the last few games he has had to dig us out a little with a couple of penalty saves, but generally it isn't CW alone that has kept that clean sheet run going, and I am sure he'd agree.

He's been very, very good the last 6 weeks. When called upon he's pulled out some big moments.
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:12 - Mar 28 with 703 viewsZapers

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:36 - Mar 28 by homer_123

Broady, Chapers (26) both fit that category.

The wider point is that we will likely consider any serious offers for players, regardless of how important they are to us.

Isn't Broady 24? And I thought Chapers is 27?
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:21 - Mar 28 with 689 viewsHerbivore

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 14:49 - Mar 28 by itfcjoe

I just don't think we see those Champ clubs spending that sort of money post Covid - not the sort to make the massive profits which this sort of model would require.

Whereas a Leif Davis could become a £15m player, someone like a Chaplin or Broadhead realistically if everything went perfectly are going to top out somewhere south of £5m at absolute best.

We've bought a lot of players in that 25-28 range

Think Broadhead is arguably a different case to Chaplin as he's a few years younger, quite a bit younger in career gametime terms actually, and has that pedigree of having been at a Prem club for a number of years. He's the sort of player that with a good season under his belt in the Championship could potentially fetch a low eight figure fee from a bottom to middling Prem side. Chaplin is at the biggest club he's ever played for in the prime of his career having had limited experience of life above League 1, his ceiling in terms of transfer value is definitely lower than Broadhead's.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:26 - Mar 28 with 679 viewsStewart27

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 12:43 - Mar 28 by davblue

Not sure his form is deserving of a pay rise this season.

If only he had set an all time Ipswich Town record spanning some 150 odd years.
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:28 - Mar 28 with 682 viewsitfcjoe

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 14:58 - Mar 28 by OsborneOneNil

There is truth is this. He loves Ipswich, but we do need to go up.

He also needs to find a club willing to pay 7 figure for a keeper and pay one £20k a week though which isn't going to be a particularly easy thing to do if we don't go up unless he wants to head back to being a PL reserve.

I just don't see where he ends up, if anyone is buying a L1 keeper this summer it is Mike Cooper

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:29 - Mar 28 with 671 viewsitfcjoe

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:21 - Mar 28 by Herbivore

Think Broadhead is arguably a different case to Chaplin as he's a few years younger, quite a bit younger in career gametime terms actually, and has that pedigree of having been at a Prem club for a number of years. He's the sort of player that with a good season under his belt in the Championship could potentially fetch a low eight figure fee from a bottom to middling Prem side. Chaplin is at the biggest club he's ever played for in the prime of his career having had limited experience of life above League 1, his ceiling in terms of transfer value is definitely lower than Broadhead's.

Possibly, but he turns 25 next week so it needs to be seriously quick progress for that to happen - i.e. get promoted and he scores a hatful in the Champ and then we cash in straight away.

A Welsh team getting to the PL would help in that regard

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:36 - Mar 28 with 640 viewsHerbivore

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:29 - Mar 28 by itfcjoe

Possibly, but he turns 25 next week so it needs to be seriously quick progress for that to happen - i.e. get promoted and he scores a hatful in the Champ and then we cash in straight away.

A Welsh team getting to the PL would help in that regard

For sure, it's a small window but if we went up this season and he bagged 20 goals in the Championship as a 10 or a wide forward then his value would be pretty high the following summer. That said, I see him as a signing that's more intended to grow with us as we progress, hopefully all the way back to the top flight. The likes of Davis and Clarke seem like bet hedgers, ideally they'll end up in the Prem with us but if we get mired in the Championship they'll have pretty hefty resale value.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:53 - Mar 28 with 590 viewsOsborneOneNil

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:28 - Mar 28 by itfcjoe

He also needs to find a club willing to pay 7 figure for a keeper and pay one £20k a week though which isn't going to be a particularly easy thing to do if we don't go up unless he wants to head back to being a PL reserve.

I just don't see where he ends up, if anyone is buying a L1 keeper this summer it is Mike Cooper

Will PM you
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:53 - Mar 28 with 589 viewsReusersTown

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 13:36 - Mar 28 by le2blue

Pete's next story will be Ipswich in for Michael Cooper from Plymouth. Not a bad alternative to Walton, not that I think he will end up leaving, just his agent trying to get him a raise.

I mean, he will definitely be leaving Plymouth this summer surely!
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:58 - Mar 28 with 583 viewsitfcjoe

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 15:53 - Mar 28 by ReusersTown

I mean, he will definitely be leaving Plymouth this summer surely!

He's signed a new deal in last few weeks so if he does it will be for a big fee

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 16:00 - Mar 28 with 549 viewsKeno

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 15:53 - Mar 28 by OsborneOneNil

Will PM you

PAH!!

you never PM me, and after everything

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing Up' on 16:29 - Mar 28 with 472 viewsMattinLondon

Website says that clubs are lining up but doesn’t name one. Either, his agent is trying to get his client in the news for a move or a new contract. Or it’s just someone writing a story without any meat.
Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 19:31 - Mar 28 with 366 viewsBleuBlue

Walton links 'Clubs Queuing UP' on 12:46 - Mar 28 by StokieBlue

This narrative is a weird one.

Walton has been good this season, not really sure what level of performance some people are expecting from a keeper in league one.

The calls from some for him to be dropped were absurd.

SB

Someone doesn’t go to games
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024