Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lineker's social media comments 09:09 - Mar 8 with 10697 viewsTrequartista

I understand Lineker is a high profile presenter for a public broadcaster, and he mildly irritates me on motd, but for goodness sake, is it not obvious that freedom of speech has to apply to everyone.

He's not broadcasting these views on the Ten O'Clock News. I think that those who cite cancel culture as a thing (as i do) and then think Lineker should be silenced over this (as i don't) are a perfect example of those 'fighting the culture wars' for want of a better description.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Lineker's social media comments on 09:16 - Mar 8 with 4620 viewsOldsmoker

I've read what he said and he's not wrong.
The Truth can hurt sometimes.

It's a journalists mantra - speak Truth to Power - but very few challenge this Tory government. They just report what the Government say and by making no comment they endorse Government policy by default.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Lineker's social media comments on 09:19 - Mar 8 with 4602 viewsDJR

You make a good point about cancel culture. Whilst it is the right that use this issue as part of the culture wars, they are equally condemning (or cancelling) of views they don't like. Just look at their attempts to shut down things they regard as woke.

So I'm with you. Free speech must prevail on both sides, unless of course it strays into hate or racism.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 9:24]
Lineker's social media comments on 10:07 - Mar 8 with 4443 viewsGuthrum

Lineker's social media comments on 09:16 - Mar 8 by Oldsmoker

I've read what he said and he's not wrong.
The Truth can hurt sometimes.

It's a journalists mantra - speak Truth to Power - but very few challenge this Tory government. They just report what the Government say and by making no comment they endorse Government policy by default.

That's mainly because the Government are holding a defunding Sword of Damocles over their heads if they stray from their definition of "impartiality" (which is, in effect, not criticising policy at all).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Lineker's social media comments on 10:11 - Mar 8 with 4395 viewsBasuco

Johnson appointed his mate Richard Sharp as chairman so he can stop all this anti far right stuff from BBC employee's and BBC content, having a personal view on government policy is only allowed if it is in agreement with it now, or so it seems.
Lineker's social media comments on 12:12 - Mar 8 with 4195 viewspointofblue

That would be fine, as long as people support the right for someone from the BBC to say on Twitter that they agree with the policy too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lineker's social media comments on 12:20 - Mar 8 with 4179 viewsDarth_Koont

Also and more importantly he’s not wrong.

People warn about the demonisation of others, authoritarianism, lack of respect for international laws and human rights, nationalism and xenophobia coming closer and closer together etc. as signs of danger to society and especially to minorities precisely because of where those forces, otherwise unchecked, took Nazi Germany after the 30s.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lineker's social media comments on 12:24 - Mar 8 with 4116 viewschicoazul

Hope and expect to see all ITT say similar next time Farage is on.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Lineker's social media comments on 12:25 - Mar 8 with 4120 viewsJ2BLUE

Tory politicians queuing up to say he is out of touch with the people. Unlike the Tory government...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Lineker's social media comments on 12:27 - Mar 8 with 4073 viewschicoazul

Lineker's social media comments on 12:20 - Mar 8 by Darth_Koont

People warn about the demonisation of others, authoritarianism, lack of respect for international laws and human rights, nationalism and xenophobia coming closer and closer together etc. as signs of danger to society and especially to minorities precisely because of where those forces, otherwise unchecked, took Nazi Germany after the 30s.

But don’t you think in fact that what he is saying is gross hyperbole and does nothing for “the cause” apart from turn people off from what is a very important point? Orwell said in Road to Wigan Pier that people often agree with the message but often can’t stand the people delivering the message due to their tone, appearance etc.
We all know Stop The Boats isn’t going to affect anything anyway.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Lineker's social media comments on 12:29 - Mar 8 with 4058 viewsBlueNomad

Lineker is a decent human being who will be heard by more people than we would. Well done Gary!
Lineker's social media comments on 12:32 - Mar 8 with 4038 viewsDarth_Koont

Lineker's social media comments on 12:27 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

But don’t you think in fact that what he is saying is gross hyperbole and does nothing for “the cause” apart from turn people off from what is a very important point? Orwell said in Road to Wigan Pier that people often agree with the message but often can’t stand the people delivering the message due to their tone, appearance etc.

Not at all.

There’s no hyperbole in pointing out the worst case of what we risk when people’s humanity is denied.

Lineker's social media comments on 12:36 - Mar 8 with 4022 viewsgiant_stow

Its fun watching them cry about it. Also speaks of the power he holds as an opinion formerr, which is a little unsettling. He's not wrong though and don;t they hate that!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Lineker's social media comments on 12:38 - Mar 8 with 4006 viewsgiant_stow

Lineker's social media comments on 12:27 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

It does sound like all this is for show, at least once the lawyers have got involved, but if nothing else, it tells us where that horrible party is coming from.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Lineker's social media comments on 13:40 - Mar 8 with 3822 viewsElderGrizzly

Lineker's social media comments on 12:38 - Mar 8 by giant_stow

It does sound like all this is for show, at least once the lawyers have got involved, but if nothing else, it tells us where that horrible party is coming from.

They've added sex education in schools on their hitlist now.

After the immigrant issue in the USA, sex ed was next on the MAGA list.

We appear to be replicating the USA, which is no surprise with Bannon pulling strings on both sides of the Atlantic.
Lineker's social media comments on 13:51 - Mar 8 with 3789 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lineker's social media comments on 13:40 - Mar 8 by ElderGrizzly

They've added sex education in schools on their hitlist now.

After the immigrant issue in the USA, sex ed was next on the MAGA list.

We appear to be replicating the USA, which is no surprise with Bannon pulling strings on both sides of the Atlantic.

Needs to be fought and defeated. Where's that 'on the path' to fascism thread gone again?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lineker's social media comments on 14:29 - Mar 8 with 3667 viewschicoazul

Lineker's social media comments on 12:32 - Mar 8 by Darth_Koont

Not at all.

There’s no hyperbole in pointing out the worst case of what we risk when people’s humanity is denied.

So I *can* reasonably worry about the gulag if Labour get into power?

Lineker's social media comments on 14:45 - Mar 8 with 3609 viewsHARRY10

Cancel culture and woke are merely more manifestations of 'newspeak'. Meaningless gibberish offered up to the thick to suggest there is something new happening.

The right has always sought to control how the masses think and do From regulating pub hours, when shops could pen to Mary Whitehouse and her lunacy

Any sign of a rejection of their absolute views is met with demonising them. The BBC was/is cited as the cause of lax morals, whereas it merely reflects a changing society. We hear little now of Norman Tebbits attack on the 60's. There are different targets now.

Almost every government body has been under attack and will continue to be attacked. It fits well with the narrative. Gone is the devil, the red menace, loony lefties.... replaced with yet another supposed a conspiracy. This time loosely rolled into a new word 'woke'.

This conspiracy includes among many others the Church of England, the Premier League, Schools, hospitals, even (last week) the Brownies. All part of some fiendish plot aimed at subverting society, or so it would seem if you swallow this idiocy.

it plays on the ignorance and fears of a small part of society. Those who need some kind of certainty, as once was provided by religion. These attacks provide a simple solution to their inability to grasp or embrace change,

The point however is to accept that paranoia. Understand it has long been part of human society, back through recorded history. Where practices and behaviours that are now accepted as normal were once demonised. Any natural phenomena that affected the populace could be blamed on witches, or Jews. Now it is 'woke'. I suspect a new name, and a new target will be along at some point.

There is no cancel culture, merely a continuing wish of the right to control people's behaviour/thinking. That control can be as basic as determining the language we use. Right wing newspeak, is right-wing newspeak.

Treat it as such.
Lineker's social media comments on 14:56 - Mar 8 with 3582 viewsDarth_Koont

Lineker's social media comments on 14:29 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

So I *can* reasonably worry about the gulag if Labour get into power?

No. That’s not reasonable on multiple levels.

Lineker's social media comments on 14:57 - Mar 8 with 3567 viewschicoazul

Lineker's social media comments on 14:45 - Mar 8 by HARRY10

Cancel culture and woke are merely more manifestations of 'newspeak'. Meaningless gibberish offered up to the thick to suggest there is something new happening.

The right has always sought to control how the masses think and do From regulating pub hours, when shops could pen to Mary Whitehouse and her lunacy

Any sign of a rejection of their absolute views is met with demonising them. The BBC was/is cited as the cause of lax morals, whereas it merely reflects a changing society. We hear little now of Norman Tebbits attack on the 60's. There are different targets now.

Almost every government body has been under attack and will continue to be attacked. It fits well with the narrative. Gone is the devil, the red menace, loony lefties.... replaced with yet another supposed a conspiracy. This time loosely rolled into a new word 'woke'.

This conspiracy includes among many others the Church of England, the Premier League, Schools, hospitals, even (last week) the Brownies. All part of some fiendish plot aimed at subverting society, or so it would seem if you swallow this idiocy.

it plays on the ignorance and fears of a small part of society. Those who need some kind of certainty, as once was provided by religion. These attacks provide a simple solution to their inability to grasp or embrace change,

The point however is to accept that paranoia. Understand it has long been part of human society, back through recorded history. Where practices and behaviours that are now accepted as normal were once demonised. Any natural phenomena that affected the populace could be blamed on witches, or Jews. Now it is 'woke'. I suspect a new name, and a new target will be along at some point.

There is no cancel culture, merely a continuing wish of the right to control people's behaviour/thinking. That control can be as basic as determining the language we use. Right wing newspeak, is right-wing newspeak.

Treat it as such.

“I suspect a new name….will be along at some point”

Righties?

Lineker's social media comments on 15:17 - Mar 8 with 3489 viewsHARRY10

Lineker's social media comments on 14:57 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

“I suspect a new name….will be along at some point”

Righties?

Whatever it is your sort will be bleating it out
Lineker's social media comments on 15:19 - Mar 8 with 3495 viewsDJR

I wonder if the Mail's front page today about Lineker's comments would have been so apoplectic had he instead referred to the UK in the 1930s?

The Mail under the ownership of the non-domiciled Fourth Viscount Rothermore isn't really any different today than it was under his Nazi-sympathising great-grandfather, the First Viscount Rothermere, who also wrote an article for the paper headed Hurrah for the Blackshirts.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-britains-nazi-loving-press-baron-made-the-case
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 17:42]
Lineker's social media comments on 15:43 - Mar 8 with 3402 viewsRadlett_blue

Lineker's social media comments on 12:20 - Mar 8 by Darth_Koont

So it's fine for Lineker to tweet his views if they are in line with yours? I personally think he should be allowed to air his political views on Twitter if he wishes as he's a sports presenter, not a political joiurnalist, but would you think it was equally acceptable if he tweeted in support of the Government's policy?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Lineker's social media comments on 15:50 - Mar 8 with 3378 viewsHARRY10

Lineker's social media comments on 15:43 - Mar 8 by Radlett_blue

So it's fine for Lineker to tweet his views if they are in line with yours? I personally think he should be allowed to air his political views on Twitter if he wishes as he's a sports presenter, not a political joiurnalist, but would you think it was equally acceptable if he tweeted in support of the Government's policy?

Would you have the same argument for free speech applied about pedophilia

For balance perhaps we should then hear Gary Glitters views
Lineker's social media comments on 17:28 - Mar 8 with 3262 viewsRyorry

Lineker's social media comments on 15:19 - Mar 8 by DJR

I wonder if the Mail's front page today about Lineker's comments would have been so apoplectic had he instead referred to the UK in the 1930s?

The Mail under the ownership of the non-domiciled Fourth Viscount Rothermore isn't really any different today than it was under his Nazi-sympathising great-grandfather, the First Viscount Rothermere, who also wrote an article for the paper headed Hurrah for the Blackshirts.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/how-britains-nazi-loving-press-baron-made-the-case
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 17:42]

Thanks for posting that, hadn't seen. Shocking.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lineker's social media comments on 17:35 - Mar 8 with 3245 viewsRyorry

May have got this wrong as was only listening with half an ear due to phone call, but according to 'The Media Show' on BBCR4 at 16.30 today, Lineker was wrong to speak out (I disagree) not only because he went too far with his reference to 1930s Nazism (I'd agree solely in the sense that I think that may be counterproductive in winning people over his/our pov) - but also because he's paid over a £million annually (tot disagree, would mean he'd been in effect bought off).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024