Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago 14:37 - Mar 7 with 8123 viewsunstableblue

Saw this tweet!

That’s Ipswich at home against Wolves in the Championship

That crowd was pathetic.

The game was described as drab

Stuart Watson headlines ‘the usual tedium has returned’ and added
“ Ipswich Town fans had to sit through a typically stale spectacle at Portman Road this evening, a goalless affair with relegation-battling Wolves making it six draws from seven for Mick McCarthy’s men.” And “ The crowd was so quiet that you could hear skipper Luke Chambers shout ‘liven up’ at his team-mates at one stage”

Wolves we’re on an awful run, 6 defeats in a row, and we mustered 43% and 3 shots

And we had Lawrence and McGoldrick up front!! Jesus wept

There were 15,000 in Portman Road to watch Wolves in the Championship.

There will be 25,000 tonight against Accrington Stanley in League One

Never forget!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 7 with 4711 viewschicoazul

Yeah god forbid we have one of our best players of the last 15 years who subsequently went to the premier league up front eh. Give me Hirst any day!11!1

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:52 - Mar 7 with 4674 viewsSitfcB

Doubt there were even 15,000. Probably 10/12,000.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:53 - Mar 7 with 4677 viewsunstableblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Yeah god forbid we have one of our best players of the last 15 years who subsequently went to the premier league up front eh. Give me Hirst any day!11!1

I was referring to the fact that we had two of the best attackers we’ve had for years, and we put in that insipid performance against a team that was leaking goals like a sinking ship.

McGoldrick was excellent and sadly missed. Look what he’s doing this term, and at his age.

Hope that’s clear now?

And are you suggesting that that was a good time in our history - because if really really wasn’t.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 14:55]

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:54 - Mar 7 with 4653 viewsunstableblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:52 - Mar 7 by SitfcB

Doubt there were even 15,000. Probably 10/12,000.

Agree

Reading Watsons report against his review of Saturday - it’s telling!

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:13 - Mar 7 with 4523 viewsIllinoisblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:49 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

In a Dexy’s style: “Oh, Chico.”

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 with 4504 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:53 - Mar 7 by unstableblue

I was referring to the fact that we had two of the best attackers we’ve had for years, and we put in that insipid performance against a team that was leaking goals like a sinking ship.

McGoldrick was excellent and sadly missed. Look what he’s doing this term, and at his age.

Hope that’s clear now?

And are you suggesting that that was a good time in our history - because if really really wasn’t.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2023 14:55]

It was a lot better than now if that’s what you mean.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:19 - Mar 7 with 4487 viewsportmanking

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

You can't be serious? We were a shell of a team and a club. Rudderless. Zero off-field infrastructure. The transformation has been like night and day - without promotion. With promotion, we would arguably be much further ahead of where we were in 2017.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:21 - Mar 7 with 4435 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:19 - Mar 7 by portmanking

You can't be serious? We were a shell of a team and a club. Rudderless. Zero off-field infrastructure. The transformation has been like night and day - without promotion. With promotion, we would arguably be much further ahead of where we were in 2017.

We were literally in the league above where we are now.

Login to get fewer ads

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:25 - Mar 7 with 4405 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I was there that night. It's probably the worst game of club football I've ever seen. Wolves came with absolutely nothing, no drive, no attempt to play the game and we just didn't bother to take advantage of it. Seem to remember Chambers was pissed at the draw, and as noted. You could hear him audibly. It was unbelievably cold that night too.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:28 - Mar 7 with 4361 viewsTractorCam

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:21 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

We were literally in the league above where we are now.

But ultimately for a match going fan, what league your in doesn't have an affect on your enjoyment of the game. As this fanbase has proven.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:30 - Mar 7 with 4336 viewsunstableblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:15 - Mar 7 by chicoazul

Were you there that night?

I was, and many similar games that season. It was anti football, it was truly awful to be at Portman Road.

Me and buddy used to take our lads that season, they hated it, in the end we just said you don’t have to come anymore. Now they simple wouldn’t miss a game and are now rabid blues.

No one can deny we’re in the league below, and promotion is far from guaranteed.

It’s much much better now… and hopefully all this promise, all this good football, gets to where we want to be.

But man 13k fans against a big club like wolves to watch a game that was slaughtered by the press and garnered 3 shots –// you’re having a laugh

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:31 - Mar 7 with 4322 viewsunstableblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:25 - Mar 7 by JammyDodgerrr

I was there that night. It's probably the worst game of club football I've ever seen. Wolves came with absolutely nothing, no drive, no attempt to play the game and we just didn't bother to take advantage of it. Seem to remember Chambers was pissed at the draw, and as noted. You could hear him audibly. It was unbelievably cold that night too.

It was horrendous - I can’t remember any singing?!

Chicoazul loved it!! Far better than what we’re watching now… far better

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:36 - Mar 7 with 4285 viewsclive_baker

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:28 - Mar 7 by TractorCam

But ultimately for a match going fan, what league your in doesn't have an affect on your enjoyment of the game. As this fanbase has proven.

I've noticed this is where there's probably a difference between fans who go to games and those who don't. Not a criticism of those btw, everyone's circumstances are different and each to their own but when you go to games you want to see football being played, ambition, chances, goals etc. Where we are now is a million times better than that, despite the fact we're a league lower.

I suppose if you're not going to the game it becomes of a results business and league status, as you don't have to witness the journey and you're just interested in the outcome.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:43 - Mar 7 with 4226 viewsunstableblue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:36 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

I've noticed this is where there's probably a difference between fans who go to games and those who don't. Not a criticism of those btw, everyone's circumstances are different and each to their own but when you go to games you want to see football being played, ambition, chances, goals etc. Where we are now is a million times better than that, despite the fact we're a league lower.

I suppose if you're not going to the game it becomes of a results business and league status, as you don't have to witness the journey and you're just interested in the outcome.

It’s a fascinating debate isn’t it?

I wonder if Chicoazul goes to games? Or was present during that season?

I go as far as to say that those who go to Portman Road are split a little… into those like you and I who go to see football being played, ambition, waves of attack, and yes goals and hopefully a win and those who seeing a win is the main driver

I left Portman Road in that period - when yes we were in the championship - and despite having won and taken 3 points, feeling short changed as the opposition had played far the better football and we’d been less than adventurous

Obviously the win is the priority, but for me the performance is as important. If not you might as well stay at home.

Each to their own

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:48 - Mar 7 with 4180 viewsitfcjoe

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:36 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

I guess it's the problem that football has to be run on business decisions now - relegations aren't a speedbump they are a car crash.

Mick did what was asked of him, it wasn't pretty sometimes, but the issue was the support structure around him and the club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:56 - Mar 7 with 4071 viewsElephantintheRoom

Wolves wont be playing Accrington tonight,

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:57 - Mar 7 with 4078 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:31 - Mar 7 by unstableblue

It was horrendous - I can’t remember any singing?!

Chicoazul loved it!! Far better than what we’re watching now… far better

I can't either, but the first half set the tone, and it was bloody freezing and a tuesday night, and ugh. Just ugh.

Don't think there was any shots on target - seem to remember it was just a game where the ball was passed in the middle of the pitch for 90 minutes. Truly dreadful stuff.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:57 - Mar 7 with 4054 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:28 - Mar 7 by TractorCam

He asked if I thought it was a good time in our history. We were in the league above and doing ok with a great Manager.
Still, we have a lot of executive-level staff now. Maybe that’s recompense for being much worse off in the pyramid?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:00 - Mar 7 with 4029 viewschicoazul

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:56 - Mar 7 by ElephantintheRoom

Wolves wont be playing Accrington tonight,

You can beat that drum again and again but some people simply won’t listen because for many Ipswich fans failure is a form of success.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:00 - Mar 7 with 4037 viewsPhilTWTD

Think it has some impact, doesn't it? You pretty much know eight times out of 10 in this division that it's going to be a case of breaking down a massed defence, which doesn't make for a hugely exciting match in terms of a contest. I don't think there would be a continuing appetite for League One football if we remain in this division.
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:01 - Mar 7 with 4026 viewsKropotkin123

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:48 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

I guess it's the problem that football has to be run on business decisions now - relegations aren't a speedbump they are a car crash.

Mick did what was asked of him, it wasn't pretty sometimes, but the issue was the support structure around him and the club

Sometimes?

Regarding the support structure, that is one issue. I'd saying having a manger like Mick is the result of having no support structure. If we had a better support structure we'd identify and pursue more ambitious managers. Ones that believe they can achieve success through playing football.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:02 - Mar 7 with 4016 viewspositivity

also might be a reflection on what you've grown up with.

if you started out watching bobby's brand of attacking football or even burley/royle, you're never going to fully accept mick's approach.

however if you started out with the hapless football of keane or jewell, then mick's organisation might have been a breath of fresh air

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:02 - Mar 7 with 4007 viewstextbackup

BCWYWF
that went well

Or something along those lines

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:03 - Mar 7 with 3990 viewschicoazul

I think most people would enjoy being in the premier league more than league one.

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:09 - Mar 7 with 3931 viewsclive_baker

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:48 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Certainly not knocking Mick, he played the hand he was dealt and he played it about as well as could have been expected. Sadly ME dealt him a 2 and a 7.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024