Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago 14:37 - Mar 7 with 8144 viewsunstableblue

Saw this tweet!

That’s Ipswich at home against Wolves in the Championship

That crowd was pathetic.

The game was described as drab

Stuart Watson headlines ‘the usual tedium has returned’ and added
“ Ipswich Town fans had to sit through a typically stale spectacle at Portman Road this evening, a goalless affair with relegation-battling Wolves making it six draws from seven for Mick McCarthy’s men.” And “ The crowd was so quiet that you could hear skipper Luke Chambers shout ‘liven up’ at his team-mates at one stage”

Wolves we’re on an awful run, 6 defeats in a row, and we mustered 43% and 3 shots

And we had Lawrence and McGoldrick up front!! Jesus wept

There were 15,000 in Portman Road to watch Wolves in the Championship.

There will be 25,000 tonight against Accrington Stanley in League One

Never forget!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:41 - Mar 8 with 485 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 14:25 - Mar 8 by chicoazul

Mach - what do you miss
Chico - playing in the Championship
Mach - you have used the kind of wrong term

OK I get it.

You miss the nights like that one against Wolves. You miss the manager insulting our fans and making derogatory comments about them. You miss Skuse, Hyam and Douglas playing at home and all excitement they'd offer. You miss moments when Leon Best was going to be a replacement for Daryl Murphy. You miss Evans and his puppets in Milne or O'Neill.

You are saying it was a 'lot better'. A lot better under Evans than current owners. Dear me ! Lot better !
Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:02 - Mar 8 with 436 viewspositivity

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 15:22 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

And for all talk of 'participating' in Championship we finished in the top half 4 seasons out of 5, plus from time Jewell was sacked we were something like 7th or 8th best team over rest of season.

So for the remainder of the first Mick season (7th or 8th best side), his second season (9th), his 3rd season (6th) and his 4th season (7th) we have finished in the same position or higher than we have previously managed in L1 (11th, 9th and 11th),

That Mick and those players who achieved that is still seen as the boogeyman by some is strange - the football wasn't great at times, but the biggest issue was we had an owner who couldn't afford to match the bigger teams in the league for finances, and wasn't smart enough to match the traditionally smaller teams in the league for innovation, nimbleness, transfer prowess etc when we could out spend them.

After Mick left it had been 3 and a half season of rubbish management - but we've been saved by McKenna. And whilst we are playing well and look a good side we are doing so from a position where we are blowing away the rest of the division financially.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2023 15:26]

the op was talking about 2016/17 when we weren't competing, we finished 16th (4 points clear of relegation).

i'd take this season over that one (and all those that followed) every day of the week!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:09 - Mar 8 with 418 viewsTractorCam

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:02 - Mar 8 by positivity

the op was talking about 2016/17 when we weren't competing, we finished 16th (4 points clear of relegation).

i'd take this season over that one (and all those that followed) every day of the week!

I can't remember it being that close but jeez you're right. Unrelated but my favourite part of that table is Burton Albion scoring more goals than Aston Villa.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:27 - Mar 8 with 386 viewsitfcjoe

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:02 - Mar 8 by positivity

This season is probably in our top 3-4 ever for points per game picked up - at the time that season (16/17) was seen by some as a disaster when others were pointing out that a disastrous season sees us relegated - despite a half decent season the year after under Mick we ended up with Hirst/Lambert and being one of the worst sides the Championship has seen.

We've had 2 good managers in the last 8 or so - one of them has punched well above his weight, the other one hasn't had an opportunity to, thes rest fell woefully short

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:28 - Mar 8 with 383 viewspositivity

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:09 - Mar 8 by TractorCam

I can't remember it being that close but jeez you're right. Unrelated but my favourite part of that table is Burton Albion scoring more goals than Aston Villa.

the best bit of the season after that is us nestled above leeds and norwich on goal difference (12th)!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:29 - Mar 8 with 382 viewsitfcjoe

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:09 - Mar 8 by TractorCam

We were safe at Easter after the wins over Burton and Newcastle, so after that we did take foot of gas and give other players a run out but maybe that was part of the problem - even when we got into a relegation fight it was boring and over before it got exciting/nerve wracking

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 18:14 - Mar 8 with 304 viewsChurchman

Remarkable insight to the state of Ipswich 6 years ago on 16:29 - Mar 8 by itfcjoe

We were safe at Easter after the wins over Burton and Newcastle, so after that we did take foot of gas and give other players a run out but maybe that was part of the problem - even when we got into a relegation fight it was boring and over before it got exciting/nerve wracking

Did we ever have our foot on the gas? We were awful to watch most of the time. Turgid, finished off with a public humiliation at Lincoln that season. Every point is a prisoner approach propped us up but it was embarrassingly bad to watch with no hope for the future. Scratching about with a rotting stadium and a season ticket appeal based on empty promises. Watching the crowds dribble away suggests I wasn’t alone in that view.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024