Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When... 21:30 - Feb 4 with 2950 viewsnorfsufblue

Are we going to just have a pot shot like they did?.......one decent shot put them completely in charge of the game, surely it wouldn't hurt if we gave it a go occasionally seeing as we are very good at getting the ball back WHEN we are on top!
When... on 21:33 - Feb 4 with 2090 viewsWeirdFishes

I think McKenna coaches them to not shoot outside the box.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

When... on 23:11 - Feb 4 with 1986 viewsScuzzer

Yeah but he didnt have ten defenders in front of him when he scored...just the one I think.

Established 1968

When... on 23:22 - Feb 4 with 1960 viewsRyorry

Thought it was more than a good shot - looked like it was going outside the post & Walton may have thought the same, but it had one helluva cracking swerve on it.

Defensively awful from our pov tho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

When... on 23:55 - Feb 4 with 1912 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When... on 21:33 - Feb 4 by WeirdFishes

Something to do with low XG.

But it's a nonsense, it makes us too predictable and easy to defend against.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When... on 00:01 - Feb 5 with 1882 viewsFrimleyBlue

When... on 23:55 - Feb 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Something to do with low XG.

But it's a nonsense, it makes us too predictable and easy to defend against.

It's got to be coaching.

On his debut. Clarke had an effort from Miles out which wasn't a bad effort.

Today we did get a freekick from it that Evans fluffed... but In the lead up... Clarke picked up the ball from deep, I was expecting him to take a shot as per his debut.. but he kept hold of it and tried something else..

Surely that's to do with coaching and not a player just deciding he no longer fancies taking a shot after 1 game.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

When... on 00:06 - Feb 5 with 1873 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When... on 00:01 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

It's got to be coaching.

Today we did get a freekick from it that Evans fluffed... but In the lead up... Clarke picked up the ball from deep, I was expecting him to take a shot as per his debut.. but he kept hold of it and tried something else..

Surely that's to do with coaching and not a player just deciding he no longer fancies taking a shot after 1 game.

Seems that way.

It's a bad strategy.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When... on 11:35 - Feb 5 with 1702 viewsRyorry

When... on 00:01 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

It's got to be coaching.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the players had been instructed not to have a go from outside the box from say 25 yards or closer; or if they were being coached not to do so.

I know KM loves his analysis & stats, but such a strategy would surely reduce our chances of scoring, given that the defensive strategy of quite a few sides we've played recently is to simply pack their boxes with bodies, knowing that we like to play a passing/crossing game to try & score from close range.

I'd also question if it's a good thing to deny strikers their instincts as to whether a shot from wherever has a good chance.

When... on 11:44 - Feb 5 with 1679 viewsEly_Blue

On the commentary just as it went to half time Glenn W said to Stockwell “so if you’re McKenna what are you saying to the players at half time” my first words were “have a F#%*+ng shot!

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Login to get fewer ads

When... on 12:05 - Feb 5 with 1642 viewsFrimleyBlue

When... on 11:35 - Feb 5 by Ryorry

I'd be absolutely shocked if the players had been instructed not to have a go from outside the box from say 25 yards or closer; or if they were being coached not to do so.

I know KM loves his analysis & stats, but such a strategy would surely reduce our chances of scoring, given that the defensive strategy of quite a few sides we've played recently is to simply pack their boxes with bodies, knowing that we like to play a passing/crossing game to try & score from close range.

I'd also question if it's a good thing to deny strikers their instincts as to whether a shot from wherever has a good chance.

as a poster once said though, a long shot is an opportunity to gift the ball to the opposition.

Waka waka eh eh

When... on 12:11 - Feb 5 with 1625 viewsDJR

I think part of the issue is that we don't have many players with an instinct for goal, or who are capable of hitting a decent shot from inside or outside the box. Chaplin, Burns and maybe a couple of others are honourable exceptions.

I think you either have it (Wark) or you don't (Morsy), and I am not convinced it is something that can be coached.

The thing with scoring is that it is a mixture of being able to shoot, being in the right position and seeing an opportunity, something I think quite a few of our players lack.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 12:18]
When... on 12:13 - Feb 5 with 1623 viewsRyorry

When... on 12:05 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

as a poster once said though, a long shot is an opportunity to gift the ball to the opposition.

Including sometimes when the oppo keeper has to pick it out of the net.

When... on 12:16 - Feb 5 with 1612 viewsDarth_Koont

When... on 23:11 - Feb 4 by Scuzzer

Yeah but he didnt have ten defenders in front of him when he scored...just the one I think.

Indeed. It’s difficult enough (although we should be better at it) to get a decent cross in against a packed defence. Shooting from long-range with defenders in the way isn’t really much of an option.

Pronouns: He/Him

When... on 13:49 - Feb 5 with 1545 viewsbadadski

When... on 12:05 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

A long shot can go in, it can ricochet and create mayhem for a secondary chance or give the ball to the opposition to allow them to play - it’s when the opposition try’s to play and breaks formation which ironically when we are at our most dangerous and score a lot of our goals by pressing and stealing back and catching them out of formation

To me that’s win win win
When... on 13:50 - Feb 5 with 1540 viewsGeoffSentence

When... on 23:11 - Feb 4 by Scuzzer

Therein lies the problem. We gave him the sapce to shoot and he took it. Something we need to sort out.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

When... on 13:51 - Feb 5 with 1537 viewsJ2BLUE

When... on 21:33 - Feb 4 by WeirdFishes

I don't think he does because Morsy often tries shooting from outside the box. Unfortunately shooting isn't his strong point.

Doesn't seem to be actively encouraged though which is odd.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

When... on 13:55 - Feb 5 with 1511 viewsstrikalite

When... on 12:11 - Feb 5 by DJR

I think part of the issue is that we don't have many players with an instinct for goal, or who are capable of hitting a decent shot from inside or outside the box. Chaplin, Burns and maybe a couple of others are honourable exceptions.

I think you either have it (Wark) or you don't (Morsy), and I am not convinced it is something that can be coached.

The thing with scoring is that it is a mixture of being able to shoot, being in the right position and seeing an opportunity, something I think quite a few of our players lack.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 12:18]

Agree, and our ability to shoot in good positions with first time snap shot efforts from the edge of the box or just outside isn't new, we've lacked this for a decade or more...rarely have/do we score goals from outside the box..

Even this season I've noticed time and time again when we have a free kick from say 25 yards out we choose/are instructed to take it short and push it out wide..

You can't keep trying to pass through sides, they're organized and compact and are all drilled day in day out on this.
When... on 14:02 - Feb 5 with 1491 viewsWickets

When... on 13:50 - Feb 5 by GeoffSentence

Therein lies the problem. We gave him the sapce to shoot and he took it. Something we need to sort out.

Think he seemed to out muscle Morsy and Evans ! showed more desire perhaps .
When... on 14:13 - Feb 5 with 1462 viewsPremierBlue

To put it in other terms, our mindset is 'rotary' and circular, it needs to be balanced with directness.
When... on 14:14 - Feb 5 with 1455 viewsnorfsufblue

Oh look Brennan Johnson just had a snapshot!
When... on 14:59 - Feb 5 with 1399 viewsLankHenners

We shoot from outside the box more than almost every team in the division, and are among the top scorers of goals from those positions. Our issue, especially recently, is that we've lost some of the ability to play at a high tempo, meaning teams can organise themselves to the point that a long shot is a bit pointless as it would be purely speculative when trying to create a better opening is the play to make.

Think a lot of this narrative is the thing that football fans fall into when their team doesn't win - that something they didn't do (or didn't do much of) definitely, 100% would have been successful and shame on the manager and players for not doing so.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

When... on 15:18 - Feb 5 with 1350 viewsnorfsufblue

When... on 14:59 - Feb 5 by LankHenners

We shoot from outside the box more than almost every team in the division, and are among the top scorers of goals from those positions. Our issue, especially recently, is that we've lost some of the ability to play at a high tempo, meaning teams can organise themselves to the point that a long shot is a bit pointless as it would be purely speculative when trying to create a better opening is the play to make.

Think a lot of this narrative is the thing that football fans fall into when their team doesn't win - that something they didn't do (or didn't do much of) definitely, 100% would have been successful and shame on the manager and players for not doing so.

Not saying anything is definite.... just you know..you can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket!
When... on 15:21 - Feb 5 with 1335 viewsDJR

I'm not sure it's wholly that. I remember at the time when we bought players under Cook thinking that not many had a great goalscoring record: Evans and Morsy spring to mind in particular.

Of course, McKenna has improved the way we play, with the result that we are scoring more goals than last season (even Morsy has chipped in a few), but when the going gets tough, maybe our limitations on the goal-scoring front come to the fore.

Of course it's not just goal-scoring that is the issue at present, if we aren't actually creating clear enough chances, and we certainly don't seem to be doing that at the moment.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 15:22]
When... on 15:26 - Feb 5 with 1303 viewsFrimleyBlue

Ignore. Wrong link.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 15:29]

Waka waka eh eh

When... on 15:28 - Feb 5 with 1293 viewsLankHenners

When... on 15:26 - Feb 5 by FrimleyBlue

Ignore. Wrong link.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2023 15:29]

That's because you've linked something from 3 seasons ago.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

When... on 15:29 - Feb 5 with 1279 viewsFrimleyBlue

When... on 15:28 - Feb 5 by LankHenners

That's because you've linked something from 3 seasons ago.

That might be why lol.

Brilliant.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024