Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 14:23 - Dec 15 with 3100 viewssolemio

It must surely be time for the annual discussion concerning Yorkshire Pudding with Christmas dinner.

Knowledgeable sophisticates understand that it should only be on Christmas plates if you are having beef - not a common choice on 25/12. Never with turkey , goose or any other meat.

Modesty forbids that I should mention any 'knowledgeable sophisticates' by name.
No way on 16:46 - Dec 15 with 1141 viewsDyland

No way on 16:40 - Dec 15 by hype313

Protein heavy, no veg!

Although, that does look effing good!

Sprouts and braised red cabbage buh, so veg and fruit all there.

Copious amounts of Stilton and truffled Baron Bigod for afters to make sure yer well and truly clogged up.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:47 - Dec 15 with 1138 viewsRadlett_blue

While I rather like Yorkshire pudding, so many extras are heaped on a plate on Christmas Day that I feel it is something I can do very well without.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

hmmmm on 16:50 - Dec 15 with 1128 viewsDyland

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:42 - Dec 15 by Mullet

Absolute bobbins that.

Batter puddings go with anything roasted, given some of the nonsense people scoff on Christmas day then they're fine.

Besides if you're actually applying the rules, then you should only have them as a starter before consuming your beef feast.

We just need our other local gourmet Eggers here to make the debate complete.

hmmmm on 16:58 - Dec 15 with 1097 viewsMullet

hmmmm on 16:50 - Dec 15 by Dyland

We just need our other local gourmet Eggers here to make the debate complete.

Given you've probably not tasted much since 2006, I'd respectfully suggest you pipe down old fruit x

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:03 - Dec 15 with 1077 viewsChurchman

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:58 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

That's how my grandmother used to do it.

Yorkshire pudding with gravy to start with.

I think it was to fill them up before the more expensive stuff was server, but had the bonus f being delicious.

I’m glad I’m not alone in having experienced the joy of the Yorkshire pudding tray before the main course. We all shared it before my grandad carved the joint. I suspect eating it that way’s origins were to fill up before the more expensive stuff, but by the time I experienced it, it was pure tradition. My grandparents lived well, close to Christchurch Park.

The modern frozen Yorkshire puddings are not the same. The merest nod to a good home made one, but since Mrs C does most of the cooking and is good at it, I’m not going to complain.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 19:11]
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:04 - Dec 15 with 1072 viewsPinewoodblue

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:58 - Dec 15 by GeoffSentence

That's how my grandmother used to do it.

Yorkshire pudding with gravy to start with.

I think it was to fill them up before the more expensive stuff was server, but had the bonus f being delicious.

My grandmother, a Yorkshire lass, ate her yorkshire pudding at tea time with a big dollop of jam.

Before you knock it try it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:07 - Dec 15 with 1056 viewsJ2BLUE

Yorkshires and stuffing belong on the plate regardless of the meat.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:07 - Dec 15 with 1050 viewshoppy

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:04 - Dec 15 by Pinewoodblue

My grandmother, a Yorkshire lass, ate her yorkshire pudding at tea time with a big dollop of jam.

Before you knock it try it.

Mine had it with a spoon full of Lyle's golden syrup.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:11 - Dec 15 with 1046 viewsfactual_blue

Turkey+Yorkshire pudding = the meal of a child.

Anyway, it's a batter pudding, arrogantly renamed by people from the arrogantly (and misleadingly) named 'God's Own County'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:12 - Dec 15 with 1040 viewsfactual_blue

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 16:09 - Dec 15 by Illinoisblue

She’s a keeper

Aunt Bessie's products are wrong on so many levels.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:15 - Dec 15 with 1016 viewsDyland

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:07 - Dec 15 by J2BLUE

Yorkshires and stuffing belong on the plate regardless of the meat.

Excellent, here he is :)

What stuffing goes with a roast rib of beef ffs?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 18:15 - Dec 15 with 973 viewsJ2BLUE

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:15 - Dec 15 by Dyland

Couldn't give a fook, I would rather have a big slab of stuffing than meat.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 18:27 - Dec 15 with 964 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:15 - Dec 15 by Dyland

Hazelnut and stilton?

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 18:47 - Dec 15 with 954 viewsCotty

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 15:09 - Dec 15 by Lord_Lucan

No way baby, they fill too much of the plate up. Mind you, if having beef then I think it is a possibility.

If having turkey then a bit of suet pudding perhaps - with a sprinkling of curry powder.

Edit - I think you mean batter puddings
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 15:12]

I challenge you to fill a plate so full of food that you can’t top it with a yorkie
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 18:52 - Dec 15 with 934 viewsEdwardStone

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 17:03 - Dec 15 by Churchman

I’m glad I’m not alone in having experienced the joy of the Yorkshire pudding tray before the main course. We all shared it before my grandad carved the joint. I suspect eating it that way’s origins were to fill up before the more expensive stuff, but by the time I experienced it, it was pure tradition. My grandparents lived well, close to Christchurch Park.

The modern frozen Yorkshire puddings are not the same. The merest nod to a good home made one, but since Mrs C does most of the cooking and is good at it, I’m not going to complain.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 19:11]

I read that as.... you have had your grandparents cryogenically frozen....but now I see what you meant

But I'm with you all the way with the hate towards Aunt Bessie's cardboard Tutt

Although I vaguely approve of the ones she makes that are little hockey-pucks of frozen batter in a small foil holder. They are kinda ok
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 19:05 - Dec 15 with 927 viewsjeera

There really needs to be a poll on this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 19:19 - Dec 15 with 919 viewsChurchman

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 18:52 - Dec 15 by EdwardStone

I read that as.... you have had your grandparents cryogenically frozen....but now I see what you meant

But I'm with you all the way with the hate towards Aunt Bessie's cardboard Tutt

Although I vaguely approve of the ones she makes that are little hockey-pucks of frozen batter in a small foil holder. They are kinda ok

Wording amended! Have you noticed how Aunt Bessie has got younger over the years? Weird. Must be the roasties.
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 19:47 - Dec 15 with 903 viewsEdwardStone

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 19:19 - Dec 15 by Churchman

Wording amended! Have you noticed how Aunt Bessie has got younger over the years? Weird. Must be the roasties.

Slight point of interest

I have been cryogenically frozen and bought back

On 3 seperate occasions
Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 20:16 - Dec 15 with 882 viewssotd78

Yorkies with anything other than roast Beef is a fusion food. Whatever next? Apple sauce with roast Turkey? Batter puddings as they should correctly be termed in our county were always the food that was put on your plate to reduce the amount of meat. That and suet tray; dumplings, or any other "fillers". With the way food prices are heading we may be going back to those wonderful things. Chitterlings anyone? Haslet? Pork cheese?

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 20:46 - Dec 15 with 835 viewshoppy

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 19:05 - Dec 15 by jeera

There really needs to be a poll on this.

Especially with one of the options as “Why do you ask this every year?”

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 20:51 - Dec 15 with 815 viewsjeera

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 20:46 - Dec 15 by hoppy

Especially with one of the options as “Why do you ask this every year?”

You'd have to be a bit of a prick to list that as an option.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 21:26 - Dec 15 with 767 viewshoppy

Recurring thread every Christmas since 1998 on 20:51 - Dec 15 by jeera

You'd have to be a bit of a prick to list that as an option.

Good point, well made.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024