Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strikers....... 14:28 - Nov 16 with 2485 viewsbobbyramsey

I've seen a lot of talk of new strikers recently, that one or even two are "essential" if we are to gain automatic promotion. What type, how tall, match ready, prem loans, how much can we spend, will we be able to entice our competitors best player? etc, etc, blah blah ad infinitum and on and on.....

Do we have any evidence to suggest that KM actually wants or is interested in a new striker? After all, we all know that that is "not the way we play" and that the goals actually come from any number of forward players (supposedly.)

Coz if KM doesn't want a new striker all of this chat is meaningless........
[Post edited 16 Nov 2022 14:30]
Strikers....... on 14:33 - Nov 16 with 2451 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The pursuit of George Hirst

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Strikers....... on 14:36 - Nov 16 with 2437 viewsclive_baker

I don't think we'll ever know with a 100% degree of accuracy what KM / MA are looking for in the window as they would probably be keeping their cards closer to their chests. So speculating is just that, but not to say we can't engage in it.

Personally I don't think we *need* anyone. Want is a different thing though, and that might depend on who becomes available.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Strikers....... on 14:37 - Nov 16 with 2423 viewsbobbyramsey

Strikers....... on 14:33 - Nov 16 by WestStanderLaLaLa

The pursuit of George Hirst

Please nooooo.....
Strikers....... on 14:43 - Nov 16 with 2408 viewsjayessess

Think it was fairly well-known that we were recruiting all Summer for a striker who was at least at the same status as Ladapo and probably the main striker. Later John-Jules pushed himself up to Ladapo's status, but we were still looking for another senior centre forward right up to the end of the window (hence the Will Keane inquiry) and only belatedly recruited Ahadme, who is fairly obviously an understudy and a project.

Now John-Jules is long-term injured, we'll clearly need a number 9 just to restore us to August levels of strength, which was in any case less than we were hoping for.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Strikers....... on 14:49 - Nov 16 with 2369 viewsFrimleyBlue

I can see maybe Scarlett from spurs being recalled and then loaned out to someone else. Might not be us but he could be well suited.

Will Keane is obvious if he's not yet signed that new deal.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Strikers....... on 15:09 - Nov 16 with 2323 viewsSheffordBlue

Strikers....... on 14:43 - Nov 16 by jayessess

Think it was fairly well-known that we were recruiting all Summer for a striker who was at least at the same status as Ladapo and probably the main striker. Later John-Jules pushed himself up to Ladapo's status, but we were still looking for another senior centre forward right up to the end of the window (hence the Will Keane inquiry) and only belatedly recruited Ahadme, who is fairly obviously an understudy and a project.

Now John-Jules is long-term injured, we'll clearly need a number 9 just to restore us to August levels of strength, which was in any case less than we were hoping for.

I agree with this but would add that we don't know whether FL is over or underachieving what McK and team thought they had bought at the time (and if he can keep his recent goal tally going over a longer period this may yet change)

There are lots of opinions on him but no one really knows what % of what different things that McKenna wants him to do he is actually doing

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Strikers....... on 15:19 - Nov 16 with 2295 viewsclive_baker

Strikers....... on 15:09 - Nov 16 by SheffordBlue

I agree with this but would add that we don't know whether FL is over or underachieving what McK and team thought they had bought at the time (and if he can keep his recent goal tally going over a longer period this may yet change)

There are lots of opinions on him but no one really knows what % of what different things that McKenna wants him to do he is actually doing

Even if he is, KM's appetite for strength in depth has been evidenced elsewhere, and it's fair to say we don't have a huge amount up depth up top, especially since TJJ got injured.

If the window closes as Ladapo gets crocked we're a bit fooked, unless Jackson can suddenly demonstrate what he's rarely managed on a consistent basis in his time here.

Strikers....... on 15:30 - Nov 16 with 2247 viewsbob12

Let's not forget... We still own Piggot. We could recall him in Jan.
Login to get fewer ads

Strikers....... on 15:32 - Nov 16 with 2219 viewsitfcjoe

Strikers....... on 15:19 - Nov 16 by clive_baker

Even if he is, KM's appetite for strength in depth has been evidenced elsewhere, and it's fair to say we don't have a huge amount up depth up top, especially since TJJ got injured.

If the window closes as Ladapo gets crocked we're a bit fooked, unless Jackson can suddenly demonstrate what he's rarely managed on a consistent basis in his time here.

Jackson doesn't seem to be seen as a number 9 here any more, at best he rotates that role with John-Jules but generally plays on the flank now

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Strikers....... on 15:36 - Nov 16 with 2193 viewsclive_baker

Strikers....... on 14:49 - Nov 16 by FrimleyBlue

I can see maybe Scarlett from spurs being recalled and then loaned out to someone else. Might not be us but he could be well suited.

Will Keane is obvious if he's not yet signed that new deal.

Isn't he playing pretty regularly for Pompey? Not sure why they would call him back from there to send him to us. Probably want a Championship loan if they're going to do that.

Strikers....... on 15:39 - Nov 16 with 2187 viewsclive_baker

Strikers....... on 15:32 - Nov 16 by itfcjoe

Jackson doesn't seem to be seen as a number 9 here any more, at best he rotates that role with John-Jules but generally plays on the flank now

Yeah he seems to be more likely to play on the right than through the middle. At Burton he was effectively RWB in a 3-4-2-1. He's handy enough as a squad player but not someone you really want to be talking about as a starter IMO.

Strikers....... on 15:41 - Nov 16 with 2175 viewsitfcjoe

Strikers....... on 15:39 - Nov 16 by clive_baker

Yeah he seems to be more likely to play on the right than through the middle. At Burton he was effectively RWB in a 3-4-2-1. He's handy enough as a squad player but not someone you really want to be talking about as a starter IMO.

He's just a chess piece that McK uses when an opportunity to exploit a slow wide CB behind an attacking FB on either side now.

I think striker wise we are one short - unless Ahadme is going to hit ground running we are totally reliant on Ladapo staying fit and in form and KM likes to rotate his strikers anyway

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Strikers....... on 15:44 - Nov 16 with 2158 viewsclive_baker

Strikers....... on 15:41 - Nov 16 by itfcjoe

He's just a chess piece that McK uses when an opportunity to exploit a slow wide CB behind an attacking FB on either side now.

I think striker wise we are one short - unless Ahadme is going to hit ground running we are totally reliant on Ladapo staying fit and in form and KM likes to rotate his strikers anyway

I don't know the extent of the injury to J-J but that'll, I presume, influence what we look to do in January. 6 weeks is a long time so if he (and Ahadme to a lesser extent) can demonstrate they back or close to being back then perhaps the need for reinforcements is less pressing. As you say at the moment we look light.

Ahadme has had sh1t luck really, as by the time he's fit we're looking at H2 of the season where the lions share of cup opportunities have gone, depending on progress of course. Can't see him getting his chance this season really which is a shame.

Strikers....... on 15:48 - Nov 16 with 2128 viewsSheffordBlue

Strikers....... on 15:19 - Nov 16 by clive_baker

Agreed - my point was more that that might dictate the type of target we are going for. E.g Is it a 'better' version of Ladapo or a backup? Is it a development loan that might turn into a buy if/when we go up (another TJJ)? Is it a 'different' type of striker - someone really tall who can win headers when other teams pack the box.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Strikers....... on 16:52 - Nov 16 with 1940 viewsBroadhill

Strikers....... on 15:30 - Nov 16 by bob12

Piggot is on a season long loan. We can't recall him l don't think.
Strikers....... on 17:05 - Nov 16 with 1895 viewsGeoffSentence

"Coz if KM doesn't want a new striker all of this chat is meaningless"

Which doesn't matter, it's part of the fun of football.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Strikers....... on 17:06 - Nov 16 with 1885 viewsclive_baker

Strikers....... on 15:30 - Nov 16 by bob12

Nah you're alright thanks Bob, he's pony.

Strikers....... on 17:08 - Nov 16 with 1874 viewsbobbyramsey

Strikers....... on 17:05 - Nov 16 by GeoffSentence

"Coz if KM doesn't want a new striker all of this chat is meaningless"

Which doesn't matter, it's part of the fun of football.

I know lol, I enjoy the tittle tattle as much as the next man….
Strikers....... on 17:08 - Nov 16 with 1874 viewsBLUEBEAT

It’s nearing Ahadme time!

Poll: W or W

Strikers....... on 17:27 - Nov 16 with 1827 viewsdeano85

If nothing changes, then there us no dire 'need' to...but if someone better comes avaliable, then shuffling the pack cant hurt...or if something changes. For example, if TJJ gets recalled for whatever reason... An offer comes in for someone like jackson...?
Strikers....... on 18:05 - Nov 16 with 1785 viewsBlueBadger

Strikers....... on 16:52 - Nov 16 by Broadhill

Piggot is on a season long loan. We can't recall him l don't think.

Plus, he's sh1t.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Strikers....... on 18:22 - Nov 16 with 1751 viewsjayessess

Strikers....... on 15:44 - Nov 16 by clive_baker

I don't know the extent of the injury to J-J but that'll, I presume, influence what we look to do in January. 6 weeks is a long time so if he (and Ahadme to a lesser extent) can demonstrate they back or close to being back then perhaps the need for reinforcements is less pressing. As you say at the moment we look light.

Ahadme has had sh1t luck really, as by the time he's fit we're looking at H2 of the season where the lions share of cup opportunities have gone, depending on progress of course. Can't see him getting his chance this season really which is a shame.

McKenna said "quite a major hamstring tear" which he'd need a scan on to determine whether he needed surgery.

If it's a complete tear that needs surgery, he certainly won't be back before the window closes.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024