Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aggressive defending 09:23 - Oct 5 with 1054 viewsJakeITFC

Something I thought was very good last night was how we got on the front foot and squeezed the pitch to make high tackles, pressures and interceptions with our centre backs. Thought it was a key part of how we played - so often in the past we’ve faced teams sitting in like that and their lone forward has managed to make things stick so they could get runners off him. Absolutely none of that last evening really, and that lead to us being camped in their half all evening.

McKenna spoke of the need for patience in games like that last night and hopefully how comprehensively we dismissed them once they tired and we made subs will encourage everyone involved (both on and off the pitch).
Aggressive defending on 09:30 - Oct 5 with 998 viewsRobTheMonk

Although I have no definite info, I'm almost sure that the Keogh influence is already having a positive effect with the defence.
Aggressive defending on 09:31 - Oct 5 with 995 viewsTractorJack

I don't mean to compare us to the best team in the world but it did remind me of the way Man City sustain attacks in this way. Even when we didn't create too many clear chances in the first half it was so much better than in previous games against similar opposition.
Aggressive defending on 09:33 - Oct 5 with 965 viewsportmanking

Aggressive defending on 09:31 - Oct 5 by TractorJack

I don't mean to compare us to the best team in the world but it did remind me of the way Man City sustain attacks in this way. Even when we didn't create too many clear chances in the first half it was so much better than in previous games against similar opposition.

I thought exactly the same last night. Was just like watching City vs Forest/Bournemouth on a lesser scale. Our counter press and general domination just suffocates teams and there's no way they can hold out for 90 mins without a lot of lady luck.
Aggressive defending on 09:41 - Oct 5 with 934 viewsLankHenners

Thought Smith for them gave it as good as he could in the first half without really causing much trouble but as the game went on it turned into total domination and in the end looked like 2 teams at least a league apart.

What I really like is that when McKenna and the players say things that so often get dismissed as cliches and ordinarily you can tell they don't really mean or believe it ('whether I'm starting or not it doesn't matter as long as I help the team' etc.) they do genuinely have full faith in what they're saying and being told by the manager. It just allows everyone to be really calm and controlled when necessary and believe they can find a breakthrough which didn't happen enough last season. Obviously Wednesday and Plymouth showed there's still a bit of work to do on that front when good teams really step on the gas but can't see many games where teams will be able to knock us off our stride for large periods of the match.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Aggressive defending on 09:55 - Oct 5 with 877 viewsGuthrum

Aggressive defending on 09:31 - Oct 5 by TractorJack

In a sense, I don't think it is an invalid comparison. McKenna's entire experience as a coach has been at Prem level. He's using modern Prem techniques and styles in L1, backed by an ownership who can and will hire players of the quality to make it viable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Aggressive defending on 10:15 - Oct 5 with 815 viewsitfcjoe

The set up was very similar to the big teams - almost a 235/325 throughout the game and trusting players to go 1v1 in defensive positions to allow the overloads higher up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Aggressive defending on 10:44 - Oct 5 with 731 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Aggressive defending on 10:15 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

The set up was very similar to the big teams - almost a 235/325 throughout the game and trusting players to go 1v1 in defensive positions to allow the overloads higher up

This ignorant old codger doesn't know what "235/235" means - could you explain it, please?

EDIT: Is it formation plan?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2022 10:44]

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Aggressive defending on 10:53 - Oct 5 with 660 viewsJakeITFC

Aggressive defending on 10:44 - Oct 5 by BasingstokeBlue

This ignorant old codger doesn't know what "235/235" means - could you explain it, please?

Yes, effectively leaving two players back to mark their one/two forward players and backing them to be strong enough to do it. Risky at times (and you’ve seen Man City and Liverpool be on the end of hidings at times when they’ve tried it) but shows real confidence in both the one v one attributes of the defenders and the ability to retain possession and win the wall back high up the pitch with your remaining outfielders.
Login to get fewer ads

Aggressive defending on 11:00 - Oct 5 with 627 viewsitfcjoe

You basically end up attacking with something like the below - and back your other players to go one on one and win their battles

For us it is effectively a front 5 of Burns, Harness, Ladapo, Chaplin and Davis from R-L, With JD flipping between the Defensive line and midfield line to change those from a 2 to a 3

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Aggressive defending on 11:14 - Oct 5 with 589 viewsGuthrum

2-3-5 was the ancient-even-then formation played when I was at school. Two defenders, three midfielders and five across the front line. The setup which Ramsey's 4-4-2 overthrew. Funny how things come full circle like that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024