Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Royle 22:48 - Jul 30 with 3686 viewsRonFearonsHair

Asides from the actual match today, I was really quite sad to hear on Life's a Pitch earlier that Joe Royle has never come back to visit because he is not convinced he would be welcome. I think it may even have been Phil that mentioned it?

I had hoped he may have been guest of honour for the Oldham cup match last season and would still love to see him back. I have some great memories of his tenureship. I know that ultimately he didn't 'achieve' anything in the sense that we didn't go up, but I loved his sense of humour and his teams were brilliant fun to watch, at a time when things were looking doom and gloom off the pitch.
Joe Royle on 22:50 - Jul 30 with 3341 viewsJ2BLUE

Perhaps we need to make it clear he would be welcomed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Joe Royle on 22:51 - Jul 30 with 3326 viewsCoastalblue

Didn't hear those comments but agree with all that you say. The Royle period was a fun time for supporting the team, even if the club weren't always in great shape and he always seemed to be a good guy with integrity.

You sure it wasn't due to him being ashamed of ruining somebody's wedding?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Joe Royle on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 3280 viewsVeggie

Same with Jim Magilton as well. Shame as the guy should be hailed as a hero here for the Bolton playoff hat trick alone.
Joe Royle on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 3274 viewsjeera

Really liked the guy and never understood the criticism.

Would hate to think he'd see out his days thinking that, although like all clubs we have our share of twonks who would possibly not feel the same way.

Caught a bit on the radio today when it was said the club was so skint that Ferguson was buying the petrol for the lawn mowers out of his own pocket.

That's pretty serious sh1t.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Joe Royle on 22:56 - Jul 30 with 3258 viewsSitfcB

Don’t think that could be further away from the truth? Never seen a bad word said about him to be honest and makes me sad that he thinks that.

Needs to be invited down for a game maybe.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Joe Royle on 22:57 - Jul 30 with 3240 viewsRonFearonsHair

Joe Royle on 22:54 - Jul 30 by jeera

Really liked the guy and never understood the criticism.

Would hate to think he'd see out his days thinking that, although like all clubs we have our share of twonks who would possibly not feel the same way.

Caught a bit on the radio today when it was said the club was so skint that Ferguson was buying the petrol for the lawn mowers out of his own pocket.

That's pretty serious sh1t.

Yes it was around the time of the Ferguson anecdote in the show, which also took me aback somewhat.
Joe Royle on 22:57 - Jul 30 with 3235 viewsSitfcB

Joe Royle on 22:54 - Jul 30 by Veggie

Same with Jim Magilton as well. Shame as the guy should be hailed as a hero here for the Bolton playoff hat trick alone.

I think Magilton knows he’s loved but didn’t want to return whilst Evans was here, understandably.

Hopefully he will make an appearance this season?!

COYB

Joe Royle on 23:02 - Jul 30 with 3162 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Joe Royle on 22:56 - Jul 30 by SitfcB

Don’t think that could be further away from the truth? Never seen a bad word said about him to be honest and makes me sad that he thinks that.

He’s been back at least once - was in the directors box for a game (presumably Wigan) and given a very warm welcome by the club, albeit wouldn’t have seen many normal fans.
Login to get fewer ads

Joe Royle on 23:08 - Jul 30 with 3117 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Royle on 23:02 - Jul 30 by PrideOfTheEast

He’s been back at least once - was in the directors box for a game (presumably Wigan) and given a very warm welcome by the club, albeit wouldn’t have seen many normal fans.

He came back for the Ex-Players' Dinner one year but other than that he's not been back. I can't remember what he said when he was on before about not feeling welcome but I don't think he feels that now.
Joe Royle on 23:10 - Jul 30 with 3077 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Royle on 22:57 - Jul 30 by SitfcB

I think Magilton knows he’s loved but didn’t want to return whilst Evans was here, understandably.

Hopefully he will make an appearance this season?!

I think he will come back at some point soon, both Terry Butcher and Adam Tanner invited him back on the show today.
Joe Royle on 23:11 - Jul 30 with 3029 viewsFrimleyBlue

Joe Royle on 23:08 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

He came back for the Ex-Players' Dinner one year but other than that he's not been back. I can't remember what he said when he was on before about not feeling welcome but I don't think he feels that now.

I can't remember Joe leaving on bad terms. Did he?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Joe Royle on 23:13 - Jul 30 with 3019 viewsSitfcB

Joe Royle on 23:10 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

I think he will come back at some point soon, both Terry Butcher and Adam Tanner invited him back on the show today.

Spoiler alert!

How comes they can’t do LAP from the fanzone this season? BBC cost cutting or still using COVID as an excuse?

I know Mark is on from 10am but had images of him playing a couple of songs at 11:55 and hot footing it down to PR.

COYB

Joe Royle on 23:15 - Jul 30 with 3002 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Royle on 23:11 - Jul 30 by FrimleyBlue

I can't remember Joe leaving on bad terms. Did he?

Not particularly, as far as I recall. I think he essentially felt he had taken the club as far as he could on the money made available to him.
Joe Royle on 23:16 - Jul 30 with 2957 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Royle on 23:13 - Jul 30 by SitfcB

Spoiler alert!

How comes they can’t do LAP from the fanzone this season? BBC cost cutting or still using COVID as an excuse?

I know Mark is on from 10am but had images of him playing a couple of songs at 11:55 and hot footing it down to PR.

That's part of it, difficult to do with Mark on for two hours before hand.
Joe Royle on 23:17 - Jul 30 with 2935 viewsFrimleyBlue

Joe Royle on 23:15 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

Not particularly, as far as I recall. I think he essentially felt he had taken the club as far as he could on the money made available to him.

Thought as much.

Tbh there's not many managers who wouldn't be welcome back imo. All just tried to do the best they could.

Mccarthy might find it hard with how it ended. But even then he did his best with the resources.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Joe Royle on 23:29 - Jul 30 with 2828 viewswiltshireblue

Rest assured I would like to think I personally covered this off.

After quite a few shandys I found myself sat next to him at a Town v Burnley game at Turfmoor, probably about 10 years ago.

I felt the need to rant at him about how much of a legend I thought he was and how terrible Roy Keane and Paul Jewell were.

I personally feel saddened if he didn't take on board the compliments and rantings of a pi$$ed guy at a football game.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2022 23:35]
Joe Royle on 07:12 - Jul 31 with 2063 viewsChurchman

Joe Royle on 23:15 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

He had taken the club as far as he could and did amazingly well with the (lack of) resources at his disposal. He was a really good manager. Royle seemed ‘tired’ at the end too - a bit like John Lyall did. We haven’t had a better manager since.

JR is more than welcome back, as is Jim Magilton, of course. I don’t blame Jim for wanting to be as far away as possible after Evans did what he did.
Joe Royle on 07:33 - Jul 31 with 1958 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Joe Royle on 23:10 - Jul 30 by PhilTWTD

Cracking show by the way. Really enjoyed the Jim appearance and Adam Tanner came across really well too.
Joe Royle on 07:37 - Jul 31 with 1938 viewsITFC_Forever

Joe Royle on 23:17 - Jul 30 by FrimleyBlue

Thought as much.

Tbh there's not many managers who wouldn't be welcome back imo. All just tried to do the best they could.

Mccarthy might find it hard with how it ended. But even then he did his best with the resources.

Keane, Jewell, Lambert, Hirst, Mick….

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Joe Royle on 07:51 - Jul 31 with 1849 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Imagine big Joe having any kind of budget!

I thought, esp for a team with no money he did a great job here and had a side who played good football. Be great to have him back

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Joe Royle on 08:38 - Jul 31 with 1636 viewsDyland

Joe Royle on 22:56 - Jul 30 by SitfcB

Maybe he just means Malcy. And Bullers and Dryers.

:)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Joe Royle on 08:42 - Jul 31 with 1592 viewsDyland

Joe Royle on 22:54 - Jul 30 by Veggie

That's all about Marcus though innit, and Clegg etc. Great to hear Magic was on Life's a Pitch yesterday. I only half jokingly think Magic cursed ITFC, even if it was kind of by mistake. But karma works in mysterious ways. I have a vague feeling the curse may have been lifted but we shall see.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Joe Royle on 08:43 - Jul 31 with 1580 viewsthebooks

That’s really sad and I’d hope we could remedy that. A great guy who guided us through one of the most difficult periods of our history – while producing some outrageously attacking football that very nearly got us promoted again. It was fun supporting Town back then.

The ents here will remember how acrimonius the board got over BFJ which, looking back, doesn’t really reflect well on us. I guess he comitted the sin of succeeding GB. I’d hope he doesn’t think it’s because of the fans.
Joe Royle on 09:19 - Jul 31 with 1392 viewsGarv

Joe Royle on 07:37 - Jul 31 by ITFC_Forever

Keane, Jewell, Lambert, Hirst, Mick….

There's no real reason Jewell should face much animosity if he was ever to return. Granted, he failed here but it's not as if he tried to rip the place apart like Keane, and to a lesser extent Hurst.

Keane is by the far the biggest football evil of all of those names. He came into the club in the strongest position compared to any of the others, at a time Evans was still happy to splash the cash.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 9:20]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Joe Royle on 09:28 - Jul 31 with 1324 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Royle on 07:33 - Jul 31 by PrideOfTheEast

Cracking show by the way. Really enjoyed the Jim appearance and Adam Tanner came across really well too.

Cheers. Adam's a top man and Jim was excellent, always good to hear from him. Interesting to hear him talking about Kieran McKenna. They're on from 3hrs 7mins-ish on here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ckpk0q

Nice photo of Adam and Terry Butcher from back in the day here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024