Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Running towards adversity... 14:14 - Jun 16 with 8532 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I like the new kits, pleased the clubs new slogan wasn't made visible.

I suspect Mark Ashton would have liked it to be on view.

Just seems a bit try hard to me.

On the KOA podcast, the players didn't seem interested in the slogan when it was mentioned. It was almost glossed over.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Running towards adversity... on 15:57 - Jun 16 with 865 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 15:30 - Jun 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

I wasn't suggesting sports people are comparable with fire fighters!

They do have to fight against adversity though. Just in a different way.

I just don't think there is a relevant connection.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Running towards adversity... on 15:57 - Jun 16 with 868 viewshype313

Running towards adversity... on 15:42 - Jun 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

You've got to be as thick as mince to not understand it.

We all understand it, just don't see the comparison between emergency services and football players.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Running towards adversity... on 15:58 - Jun 16 with 855 viewsN2_Blue

Running towards adversity... on 15:57 - Jun 16 by hype313

We all understand it, just don't see the comparison between emergency services and football players.

exactly!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 with 840 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Running towards adversity... on 15:54 - Jun 16 by itfcjoe

Yep, I'm not a massive fan of it - it just doesn't fit really as what adversity do footballers run towards? To try and compare it to emergency services is a bit crass for me.

Quelle surprise. It's hardly crass if i's intention is to honour those who do run towards adversity. I admit it's a bit contrived but it is clearly born out of respect and not intended to be direct comparison with footballers - more a symbolic gesture about being brave, respectful and not shirking from responsibility.
Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 with 836 viewsportmanking

Running towards adversity... on 15:57 - Jun 16 by hype313

The emergency services from Arizona that just so happen to be paying the wages of our players? Seems quite a clear link to me.
Running towards adversity... on 16:07 - Jun 16 with 834 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 by FromReuserWithLove

Quelle surprise. It's hardly crass if i's intention is to honour those who do run towards adversity. I admit it's a bit contrived but it is clearly born out of respect and not intended to be direct comparison with footballers - more a symbolic gesture about being brave, respectful and not shirking from responsibility.

Just a contrived narrative really, but doesnt do much harm I guess.

Its would be better if it was something less generic and more relevant to the club.

Running towards adversity... on 16:11 - Jun 16 with 823 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 by portmanking

The emergency services from Arizona that just so happen to be paying the wages of our players? Seems quite a clear link to me.

I think there is too much being made of the link to create a marketing story.

The service men and women didnt choose to pay into Ipswich through any form of sentiment. The manager of their fund decided it would be a good punt to get some growth to pay their pension.

I doubt the service men and women are fussed.

Running towards adversity... on 16:12 - Jun 16 with 815 viewsportmanking

Running towards adversity... on 16:11 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think there is too much being made of the link to create a marketing story.

The service men and women didnt choose to pay into Ipswich through any form of sentiment. The manager of their fund decided it would be a good punt to get some growth to pay their pension.

I doubt the service men and women are fussed.

*sigh*

It's a mark of respect/gratitude to those servicemen and women whose funds are being used to try and turn the club around. Nothing more, nothing less.
Login to get fewer ads

Running towards adversity... on 16:13 - Jun 16 with 809 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:12 - Jun 16 by portmanking

*sigh*

It's a mark of respect/gratitude to those servicemen and women whose funds are being used to try and turn the club around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Happy to agree to differ.

Running towards adversity... on 16:14 - Jun 16 with 811 viewsportmanking

Running towards adversity... on 16:07 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its would be better if it was something less generic and more relevant to the club.

How much more relevant do you want it to be?! The club was quite literally bought out by a pension fund for servicemen and women in Arizona. The club wanting to embody their spirit and professionalism is hardly contrived.
Running towards adversity... on 16:15 - Jun 16 with 809 viewsitfcjoe

Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 by FromReuserWithLove

Just because the intentions behind something are right doesn't stop it from being crass.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Running towards adversity... on 16:23 - Jun 16 with 793 viewsclive_baker

Running towards adversity... on 15:07 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Football pitches are full of pussys, no comparison.

I know what you're saying, but the comparison is more of an insult than a compliment.

I bet most of the service men and women dont even know they fund Ipswich.

But as you say, no real harm.

I dunno, poor old Pigott's got a tough life, 28 and sitting on the bench in League 1 on half a million quid a year.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Running towards adversity... on 16:24 - Jun 16 with 792 viewshype313

Running towards adversity... on 16:05 - Jun 16 by portmanking

Yes, there's obviously a link, but that's where it ends in comparison between the two.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Running towards adversity... on 16:24 - Jun 16 with 808 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Running towards adversity... on 16:25 - Jun 16 with 785 viewsclive_baker

Running towards adversity... on 15:24 - Jun 16 by Illinoisblue

It’s basically saying Let’s facking ave it. In a more polite way. Don’t back down, never give up, all that good stuff. But as a wise man once said, everyone’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. And we got punched in the mouth too many times last season. And the season before. And the season before that….

An old captain of mine used to encourage us to "get our dicks up" before a game. He didn't mean literally thankfully, but used to bark it at everyone. "Get your f***ing d**ks up lads". Irish, hard as nails.

Running towards adversity... on 16:27 - Jun 16 with 783 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:14 - Jun 16 by portmanking

How much more relevant do you want it to be?! The club was quite literally bought out by a pension fund for servicemen and women in Arizona. The club wanting to embody their spirit and professionalism is hardly contrived.

Maybe something more relevant to Ipswich or the club.

The purchase of the club by a pension fund is just an investment fund looking for a financial return. Its not a personal or emotional investment.

I doubt the service men and women pay much attention to the thousands of businesses that have been invested in on their behalf.

There is no sentiment involved here.

Running towards adversity... on 16:28 - Jun 16 with 774 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:24 - Jun 16 by SitfcB

[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 16:29]

Running towards adversity... on 16:32 - Jun 16 with 762 viewsclive_baker

Running towards adversity... on 16:24 - Jun 16 by SitfcB

It's still a load of horsesh1t, let's be honest. But it's hardly a big deal.

Running towards adversity... on 16:34 - Jun 16 with 768 viewsitfcjoe

Running towards adversity... on 16:27 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Maybe something more relevant to Ipswich or the club.

The purchase of the club by a pension fund is just an investment fund looking for a financial return. Its not a personal or emotional investment.

I doubt the service men and women pay much attention to the thousands of businesses that have been invested in on their behalf.

There is no sentiment involved here.

Where Ashton talks about representing them etc it just doesn't sit right as I see it like you - a purely financial transaction that they have no say in, and likely little interest in as long as they keep getting their money out.

The people the players are representing are us - the fans, plus also the town of Ipswich, and the county of Suffolk.

I understand that the 3 Lions and Ashton feel a responsibility to represent where they are getting the money from as they have had to win the trust of the money men to do so - but there is no real link with Ipswich

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Running towards adversity... on 16:39 - Jun 16 with 754 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Running towards adversity... on 16:34 - Jun 16 by itfcjoe

Where Ashton talks about representing them etc it just doesn't sit right as I see it like you - a purely financial transaction that they have no say in, and likely little interest in as long as they keep getting their money out.

The people the players are representing are us - the fans, plus also the town of Ipswich, and the county of Suffolk.

I understand that the 3 Lions and Ashton feel a responsibility to represent where they are getting the money from as they have had to win the trust of the money men to do so - but there is no real link with Ipswich

100% agreed!!

I can imagine the strategy meeting, scraping around for a 'hook' for a mission statement, and then latching on to the fire service etc and it snow balling.

Its not really relevant, certainly not as relevant as they think it is.

If anything, it massively misses the target. As you say, the players represent the club, the fans and the town.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2022 16:41]

Running towards adversity... on 16:39 - Jun 16 with 745 viewsSE1blue

Running towards adversity... on 16:07 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

'Bimbling towards obscurity'? (Under Evans)

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I'm afraid its not a good motto, purpose or vision statement on 16:40 - Jun 16 with 753 viewsunstableblue

What is the adversity referenced? is it being mired in League One? Is it being 1-0 down with 10mins to go?

Its certainly not a lack of funds? or good players? or improving stadium? or fans that are disgruntled

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Running towards adversity... on 16:51 - Jun 16 with 732 viewsdirtyboy

Running towards adversity... on 15:24 - Jun 16 by BasingstokeBlue

Why is it there at all?

Haven't any of the club's officers looked up the meaning of "adversity" yet?

The whole slogan means "hurtling towards hardship." Surely this is not the intended club philosophy?

It literally doesn't mean that and you know it.

Context is everything.
Running towards adversity... on 16:55 - Jun 16 with 729 viewsdirtyboy

Running towards adversity... on 16:15 - Jun 16 by itfcjoe

Just because the intentions behind something are right doesn't stop it from being crass.

I think you have to bear in mind that the American attitude to these small nods are much more welcome than here.

Ashton is a great salesman and he knows very well that keeping the owners happy is a massive part of his job, he also would know that putting this slogan (that's arisen from their partnership - not something he's just made up) will be loved by them, so it's a lot more subtle in terms of who it's aimed at.

I deal with a few American clients and there is a genuine difference in culture to erm....'cheese'? and I don't mean the edible kind.

Us Brits see through it or perhaps are just less interested, but they love it and embrace it.
Running towards adversity... on 16:57 - Jun 16 with 727 viewsBig_Jase

Running towards adversity... on 15:56 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

There is a desperate need for a 'story' or 'narrative' in most businesses these days. Most of these narratives are terribly engineered.

...just be authentic is my view.

On the KOA Pod Woolfie and Burns glossed straight over it when Andy Warren mentioned it.

I’m sure Woolfenden and Burns probably feel the same way as most of us do when our respective employers ask us to speak about their brand/company values.

I wonder if they have to do a professional development meeting showing 3 examples where they have had to run towards adversity in the season etc.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024