Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do the honest, hard working, working class 10:21 - Jun 3 with 13163 viewsFromReuserWithLove

Still grovel and aspire to the self imposed elite? They really play their role in the archaic British class system and help promote the narrative of trickle down economics. The concept of royalty really is absurd.

Sorry for the random morning musings.
Please don’t… on 16:48 - Jun 4 with 1589 viewsGlasgowBlue

Please don’t… on 15:45 - Jun 4 by lowhouseblue

having empathy with the people you want to vote for you used to be pretty basic politics. it's part of understanding why people think the way they do. it avoids writing people off a brain washed, stupid, tricked or selfish. those on the extremes of politics caricature, dismiss and belittle their opponents and therefore have no credible model of why people don't vote for them - it's the fault of the press, it's cos people are thick, it's cos they're racist (and after saying all that they're still surprised people don't vote for them).

Bizarrely, Attlee and Wilson would be considered flag shaggers by some of our younger left leaning posters in here.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Please don’t… on 16:54 - Jun 4 with 1579 viewsGlasgowBlue

Please don’t… on 16:06 - Jun 4 by Mullet

I think it's more measurable as generational in that respect. Plenty of my generation are fairly ambivalent for example.

There's also the impact of the far-right on the generations immediately below mine and an argument that they've warped "working class" views towards the right wing, but I don't think it holds water to ascribe it to one thing or the other.

The media coverage of the Tories and the Royal Family has been far more damaging to this country, but which class/generation has it cut through with? In the same way flags come out for the World Cup, once the excuse for a piss up disappears so does anything resembling support for most people.

With lots due respect, I feel that your generation has allowed the racists and knuckle dragged appropriate the symbols of our national pride without putting up much resistance.

42% of the French electorate voted for a Nazi party in the recent Presidential elections. But the far right hasn’t been allowed to appropriate the tricolore in the way the far right in the UK have been allowed to do so with the cross of StGeorge or the Union flag. You won’t find a Frenchman or woman who is ashamed of their culture of national symbols.

Social media was awash with so called progressives comparing the flags in Regent Street to Nazi Germany. And these people were being serious.

Your generation, and the onc coming up below you, are far more tolerant and enlightened than my own. But with it seems to have some some shame and embarrassment of our national symbol.

I don’t see this in any other country.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2022 16:58]

Iron Lion Zion

Please don’t… on 17:02 - Jun 4 with 1548 viewsMullet

Please don’t… on 16:54 - Jun 4 by GlasgowBlue

With lots due respect, I feel that your generation has allowed the racists and knuckle dragged appropriate the symbols of our national pride without putting up much resistance.

42% of the French electorate voted for a Nazi party in the recent Presidential elections. But the far right hasn’t been allowed to appropriate the tricolore in the way the far right in the UK have been allowed to do so with the cross of StGeorge or the Union flag. You won’t find a Frenchman or woman who is ashamed of their culture of national symbols.

Social media was awash with so called progressives comparing the flags in Regent Street to Nazi Germany. And these people were being serious.

Your generation, and the onc coming up below you, are far more tolerant and enlightened than my own. But with it seems to have some some shame and embarrassment of our national symbol.

I don’t see this in any other country.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2022 16:58]

Perhaps, although there's far greater evidence it's the media who feel that balance is having Farage and SYL on their platforms that help with that. Likewise the NF and BUF have much longer histories of coopting the regalia and symbols in a way which you won't find in other countries.

There's far greater cultural parallel with America in that respect and I'd say as a society we've allowed the far right into government and politics all too easily. Most of the problems that make the immigrants are stealing your jobs rhetoric stick are caused by the older generations owning multiple homes, removing access to education, industry and with Brexit innumerable rights etc.

I've always resented the right-wing insistence they own the flag, patriotism etc whilst doing everything they can to impoverish most of us.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 17:03 - Jun 4 with 1547 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 11:03 - Jun 4 by Ryorry

Yep, I agree, you're right as you always are & must be because you have a perfect command of English, always read & uderstand everyones' posts perfectly, never put words into anyone's mouths, never distort, ignore or twist what they've said to suit yourself, never spiral an argument up out of nothing, never insult people because you lack justification for what you're saying, never straw-man.

And above all you never expect people to go without food or sleep until they've either written a 3-page essay or agreed with you. Thank heavens, I can now get away from your demands & complete wasting of my time.

Have you been to Glassers' school of debating? Your entire first para is another straw man, and whatabouterry. And frankly an ad hominem attack on me personally.

Anything other than answering the point you can't answer.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 17:23 - Jun 4 with 1515 viewsRyorry

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:49 - Jun 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'll give you my thoughts in response to the question, before saying where I stand now.

I think there are a number of historical factors at play. In no particular order:

1. England tried it once. It was horrible.

2. Even when the royals were as feckless as the German George's within a hundred years of the restoration there was no appetite for another Civil War, or the return to Puritanism.

3. Jingoistic "rules the waves", "sun never sets on the British Empire" nostalgia still stirs the loins of some.

4. Moving into the 20th Century:

The Queen's parents were central to national identity during World War 2. Legendary walkabouts during the Blitz, Bertie's broadcasts on the Radio. The Queen served as an Auxillary.

5. Millions served in the military in two world wars and through National Service. Two, nearly three, generations of men taught to obey, with the crown being the ultimate focus of their loyalty.

6. Huge swathes of the country still have forms of feudalism, with tenant farms leased from landowners, and estate workers living in tied housing. There are plenty of the rituals and customs of the countryside that tie into everyone "knowing their place" which would seem completely foreign to city dwellers.

7. Coins and stamps have reinforced the monarchy day in, day out. It would be interesting to see the percentage figures for support amongst those who don't use cash and have never posted a letter.

8. God Save the Queen is belted out before every England match

9. She has been Queen for 70 years and it has always seemed in bad taste to speak out against the decent old lady.

10. The resulting stability has been seen as a good thing.

11. The 70 years have seen a steady improvement in living standards for the majority of honest, hard working, working class people, so why change things? Now that is being eroded the question is more likely to be asked.

12. When did you last see a sensible discussion of arguments for Republicanism on mainstream TV?

13. The whole theatre of pageantry is a reinforcement of the role and institution.

14. Everyone knows somebody who has been sent a telegram, or given an honour, or invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party, don't they? There are lots of people who have their own "Royal story" which comments them to the Royal Family and makes them feel invested, and in some way invested in the system.

15. Something about tourism and value for money which we are all expected to repeat without question, as if that is the purpose of a Head of State in a mature democracy. It's like saying the RAF should have kept the Harrier because it was popular at Air Shows.

16. The current system works for the powers that be. They make sure that radical alternatives don't gain traction, and those with criticisms are pounced upon, even if they are the Queen's grandson and his wife.

There are going to be more, but that is a list of inter-woven reasons why working class culture can express affection for a hierarchy, in spite of their place in it.

My personal views:

I've moved from being a "mildly against in principle, but she does the job well" type, to believing that the UK requires a proper written Constitution and Proportional Representation in order to protect the "checks and balances" on Executive Power. The Queen was always seen as the last check, but she has failed abysmally in that task in recent years, and allowed the Judiciary and Parliament to be marginalised through her inaction.

She should enforce the Ministerial Code, call the PM to Buckingham Palace and point out chapter and verse how he has breached the Code and tell him that as he isn't decent enough to resign, as every single one of his predecessors would have, she is informing him that he no longer has her confidence and his services are no longer required by her as her Prime Minister.

For those who say that she "can't" do that, she can. The Prime Minister serves at the invitation of the Queen.

The fact that she chooses not to, or her advisors (unelected bureaucrats) counsel her not to and she acquiesced, is the problem. We need a Head of State who protects the "unwritten Constitution", and she has proven herself, and the whole Buckingham Palace system, to not be up to the job.

Don't agree with absolutely everything (the Queen potentially intervening in particular) but all the same, that's a superb post 👍

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 17:33 - Jun 4 with 1496 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 13:49 - Jun 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

I'll give you my thoughts in response to the question, before saying where I stand now.

I think there are a number of historical factors at play. In no particular order:

2. Even when the royals were as feckless as the German George's within a hundred years of the restoration there was no appetite for another Civil War, or the return to Puritanism.

3. Jingoistic "rules the waves", "sun never sets on the British Empire" nostalgia still stirs the loins of some.

The Queen's parents were central to national identity during World War 2. Legendary walkabouts during the Blitz, Bertie's broadcasts on the Radio. The Queen served as an Auxillary.

5. Millions served in the military in two world wars and through National Service. Two, nearly three, generations of men taught to obey, with the crown being the ultimate focus of their loyalty.

6. Huge swathes of the country still have forms of feudalism, with tenant farms leased from landowners, and estate workers living in tied housing. There are plenty of the rituals and customs of the countryside that tie into everyone "knowing their place" which would seem completely foreign to city dwellers.

7. Coins and stamps have reinforced the monarchy day in, day out. It would be interesting to see the percentage figures for support amongst those who don't use cash and have never posted a letter.

9. She has been Queen for 70 years and it has always seemed in bad taste to speak out against the decent old lady.

11. The 70 years have seen a steady improvement in living standards for the majority of honest, hard working, working class people, so why change things? Now that is being eroded the question is more likely to be asked.

12. When did you last see a sensible discussion of arguments for Republicanism on mainstream TV?

13. The whole theatre of pageantry is a reinforcement of the role and institution.

14. Everyone knows somebody who has been sent a telegram, or given an honour, or invited to a Buckingham Palace garden party, don't they? There are lots of people who have their own "Royal story" which comments them to the Royal Family and makes them feel invested, and in some way invested in the system.

15. Something about tourism and value for money which we are all expected to repeat without question, as if that is the purpose of a Head of State in a mature democracy. It's like saying the RAF should have kept the Harrier because it was popular at Air Shows.

16. The current system works for the powers that be. They make sure that radical alternatives don't gain traction, and those with criticisms are pounced upon, even if they are the Queen's grandson and his wife.

There are going to be more, but that is a list of inter-woven reasons why working class culture can express affection for a hierarchy, in spite of their place in it.

My personal views:

I've moved from being a "mildly against in principle, but she does the job well" type, to believing that the UK requires a proper written Constitution and Proportional Representation in order to protect the "checks and balances" on Executive Power. The Queen was always seen as the last check, but she has failed abysmally in that task in recent years, and allowed the Judiciary and Parliament to be marginalised through her inaction.

She should enforce the Ministerial Code, call the PM to Buckingham Palace and point out chapter and verse how he has breached the Code and tell him that as he isn't decent enough to resign, as every single one of his predecessors would have, she is informing him that he no longer has her confidence and his services are no longer required by her as her Prime Minister.

For those who say that she "can't" do that, she can. The Prime Minister serves at the invitation of the Queen.

The fact that she chooses not to, or her advisors (unelected bureaucrats) counsel her not to and she acquiesced, is the problem. We need a Head of State who protects the "unwritten Constitution", and she has proven herself, and the whole Buckingham Palace system, to not be up to the job.

Excellent and well thought out post.

Iron Lion Zion

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:27 - Jun 4 with 1464 viewsLeaky

Have you ever thought that the hard working British people aspire to being in a position where they can become the elite.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:39 - Jun 4 with 1446 viewsXYZ

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:27 - Jun 4 by Leaky

Have you ever thought that the hard working British people aspire to being in a position where they can become the elite.

... and that's the "con" in "Conservative Party" right there.
Login to get fewer ads

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:53 - Jun 4 with 1434 viewsnoggin

Aspire to have more money than they can ever spend, while working people go hungry?

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:56 - Jun 4 with 1433 viewsLeaky

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:39 - Jun 4 by XYZ

... and that's the "con" in "Conservative Party" right there.

No your wrong, I left school in 1966 with no qualifications, I have run my own business as a heating engineer. I had opportunities to grow bigger, the opportunities came at a time I didn't want to take the risk. Other's in construction took the risk some excelled some failed its down to personal ambition & a lot of luck. I feel that a lot of people in recent years have took the option to go to University for a three year piss up to come out with a non degree when they would have been better off getting an apprenticeship & leaning a trade. My granddaughters partner is a classic example, has just graduated from Birmingham Uni with a degree is now trying to get a job washing trucks.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 19:01 - Jun 4 with 1422 viewsnoggin

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 18:56 - Jun 4 by Leaky

No your wrong, I left school in 1966 with no qualifications, I have run my own business as a heating engineer. I had opportunities to grow bigger, the opportunities came at a time I didn't want to take the risk. Other's in construction took the risk some excelled some failed its down to personal ambition & a lot of luck. I feel that a lot of people in recent years have took the option to go to University for a three year piss up to come out with a non degree when they would have been better off getting an apprenticeship & leaning a trade. My granddaughters partner is a classic example, has just graduated from Birmingham Uni with a degree is now trying to get a job washing trucks.

Boris Johnson still doesn't give a toss about you.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 19:11 - Jun 4 with 1407 viewsXYZ

That makes me wrong how exactly?

You're not part of the "elite" and voting tory won't, and never did, make it more likely that you would be.

If you are worried about the current state of the UK then blame the party that's been running it for the last 12 years.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 19:25 - Jun 4 with 1391 viewsjeera

You will never be the elite.

You cannot buy your way into that club from your background.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 21:45 - Jun 4 with 1328 viewsSwansea_Blue

Your grand daughter’s partner (hopefully) has a long life ahead. That degree will at some point open doors. Posts in the top third of our pay scales, for example, all need degrees. It’s not guaranteed, but normally it’s worth getting a university education. Although it is becoming a harder choice purely from an economic perspective. Especially now the cost of the recent tax give always have been quietly loaded onto students.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 22:39 - Jun 4 with 1272 viewslazyblue

Did you enjoy your bank holiday?
Please don’t… on 00:21 - Jun 5 with 1217 viewsN2_Blue

Please don’t… on 09:38 - Jun 4 by unstableblue

… start using ‘the left’ or ‘the right’ for that matter… it’s what the Daily Mail increasingly use as well as other dangerous voices who seek to divide and polarise us

And before you know it we’ve become American politics, which is very divisive and frankly dangerous

I’m left of centre, had respect for Tories such as heseltine, respect many other conservative MPs. Centrists.

I also don’t dislike the queen, have some respect for her service, and I’ve enjoyed a number of jubilee events already. But i wouldn’t put bunting up, or sing the national anthem. I would scrap the monarchy or at least massively defund and reform it in an instant. Why are we the taxpayer funding £45m a year to an already very wealthy family? Why did you and I pay for a man to go and hang out on lavish islands with a paedophile.

It’s 2022!!!

To your main point, of course large swathes of the British public, including working class are duped into a fervour about these events. Like they they were duped to vote Brexit (something now so damaging it is causing long term pain for Britain), to vote Boris…

We need to reconnect with what Britishness means, and find new ways to celebrate it.

The five British Values are:
Democracy.
The rule of law.
Individual liberty.
Mutual respect.
Tolerance of those of different faiths and beliefs.

Because I can tell you this jubilee is not celebrating those, as the media that dupes… wraps non British values in our flag and our identity… and Charles sits on a throne in parliament and reads out new legislation that erodes the above. And we send immigrants who have experienced pain to Rwanda….. a scandal

I’d rather have Gareth Southgate on a massive carriage, with a huge crown, speaking decency and truths, and we all have a massive knees up around those 5 core values, than a bunch of Sloanes gazing down from a balcony… and a very large number of people and media outlets cementing a two world wars and one World Cup fervour and mind set… that is fundamental un-British.

Booing of Boris has been the highlight of the jubilee .., as it shows many still have standards

I thank you

Pretty much agree with everything here and echoes exactly how I feel about it all.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 05:34 - Jun 5 with 1133 viewstextbackup

For me its about a few very simple things,

Tradition, History and respect.

I've not travelled down to london to celebrate, ive worked the whole weekend, but am i proud to be part of the country with the queen in her position for 70 yes, yeah i am.

and i couldnt give a toss what anyone thinks of that. chances are i wont agree with them on most subjects in life. some people just wont be friends or agree, life innit.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 05:41 - Jun 5 with 1128 viewstextbackup

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 22:39 - Jun 4 by lazyblue

Did you enjoy your bank holiday?

they did, but from what i can gather they hate the queen, but had the time off work anyway, and are angry that some people didnt get the choice to not work.

basically, just miserable pr1cks

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 08:36 - Jun 5 with 1053 viewsChurchman

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 05:34 - Jun 5 by textbackup

For me its about a few very simple things,

Tradition, History and respect.

I've not travelled down to london to celebrate, ive worked the whole weekend, but am i proud to be part of the country with the queen in her position for 70 yes, yeah i am.

and i couldnt give a toss what anyone thinks of that. chances are i wont agree with them on most subjects in life. some people just wont be friends or agree, life innit.

Good for you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if that’s a concept one or two on here struggle with. Your view actually is in accord with the majority of the people, if the polls are to be believed.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 08:57 - Jun 5 with 1025 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 05:41 - Jun 5 by textbackup

they did, but from what i can gather they hate the queen, but had the time off work anyway, and are angry that some people didnt get the choice to not work.

LOL. In the space of 7 minutes you went from not being bothered what anyone thinks, some people just wont be friends or agree and that's just life...

...to someone who disagrees with you is angry and a miserable pr1ck.

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 08:59 - Jun 5 with 1018 viewssolomon

My personal views:

Whilst agree with much if your post, point 11 makes me uncomfortable whilst we tolerate a society that’s sees record numbers of homeless on our streets. It’s a bit too early to pat ourselves on the back for living standards.
Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 09:03 - Jun 5 with 1009 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 08:59 - Jun 5 by solomon

Whilst agree with much if your post, point 11 makes me uncomfortable whilst we tolerate a society that’s sees record numbers of homeless on our streets. It’s a bit too early to pat ourselves on the back for living standards.

Indeed. And while they say, "The 70 years have seen a steady improvement in living standards for the majority of honest, hard working, working class people, so why change things?" - I don't see the correlation. What has the Queen done to improve living standards?!

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 09:21 - Jun 5 with 981 viewsJ2BLUE

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 05:41 - Jun 5 by textbackup

You should work for the Daily Mail mate.

No one has said they hate the queen.

Not everyone had the time off and even if they did, our taxes have more than paid for the few meagre days off we've had recently due to them.

No one is angry some people didn't get the choice to have the day off. I merely questioned why the big stores always put profit over people and open the absolute maximum hours they can. I have the same rant every Christmas when the likes of Tesco Express stay open until 11pm on Christmas Eve and then open up again 6am Boxing Day. It's something I despise. I now work from home so i'm not affected, but if I can avoid going in a shop where the company are exploiting their staff to squeeze out an extra few quid then I will.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 09:34 - Jun 5 with 957 viewssolomon

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 09:03 - Jun 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Indeed. And while they say, "The 70 years have seen a steady improvement in living standards for the majority of honest, hard working, working class people, so why change things?" - I don't see the correlation. What has the Queen done to improve living standards?!

But what has she personally done to lower them?
She was literally being called… on 09:36 - Jun 5 with 956 viewsBloots

Why do the honest, hard working, working class on 09:21 - Jun 5 by J2BLUE

You should work for the Daily Mail mate.

No one has said they hate the queen.

Not everyone had the time off and even if they did, our taxes have more than paid for the few meagre days off we've had recently due to them.

No one is angry some people didn't get the choice to have the day off. I merely questioned why the big stores always put profit over people and open the absolute maximum hours they can. I have the same rant every Christmas when the likes of Tesco Express stay open until 11pm on Christmas Eve and then open up again 6am Boxing Day. It's something I despise. I now work from home so i'm not affected, but if I can avoid going in a shop where the company are exploiting their staff to squeeze out an extra few quid then I will.

….a “c” on here the other day.

You must have missed that.

You should work for the Guardian mate.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024