Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Pigott 09:07 - May 18 with 3902 viewsThatMuhrenCross

I'm not prepared to write him off yet. He's the kind of big physical striker that normally gets you out of this division, and I also think he's a confidence player. If McKenna can get into him and he has a decent pre-season, I still think he's as good as anything else we're going to find at this level.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Joe Pigott on 09:57 - May 18 with 836 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 09:52 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

I think take Pigott's contract out of the equation and McK would have preferred to keep Norwood out of the two.

I think Pigott may well sit on his contact and take the wages because I thnk it's going to be hard for him to get an equivalent pay cheque somewhere else.

I'm not sure Pigott's contract situation would have come into the Norwood thinking. His form over his time here has been patchy, his lack of fitness having been a big issue and that was unlikely to improve. On top of that there was the off-field baggage.
Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 with 813 viewsjayessess

Joe Pigott on 09:42 - May 18 by Dubtractor

But he isn't really a big physical striker is he?

He's tall, but I haven't seen too much physicality in his game at all.

Of his 20 goals for Wimbledon there's one with his head (which is uncontested), there's only one that noticeably involves any strength (he holds off a defender before he gets a shot away).

If we wanted to retain a physical striker who holds the ball up well, we should probably look at the guy who won the most aerial duels of anyone in our squad. Anyone got QPR's phone number?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 with 810 viewshomer_123

The only possible way I see him staying and being of use would be as a plan B/C - if Plan A/B isn't working and we need to be a little more direct/ traditional etc.

He certainly doesn't fit the way McK wants us to play - he's simple not mobile enough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 with 813 viewswkj

I think Pigott is a perfectly good player, I don't think we're set up to play to his strengths. I am not a fan of binning a player off after a single season, but if we are to do better, we need better up front.

If Kayden stays fit and pulls holes in the defence then we need a marksman that might not rely so much on physical strength, but good movement into channels and a marksman's instict. Can Pigott fit in to this? I doubt it - in all honesty.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Joe Pigott on 10:01 - May 18 with 816 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 09:56 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

So who do we think Phil?

Harper.
Pigott
Penny
Hladly
Idris
KVY
Edwards

?

I reckon you're right on the first five, not sure on KVY but certainly possible and I think Edwards will be in the thoughts. Dobra's another I reckon will go if they get someone interested. Both him and Idris a bit unlucky to be at the stage of their development they are when the money has come in and managers have looked to bring in several senior players.
Joe Pigott on 10:02 - May 18 with 794 viewsSTYG

Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 by homer_123

The only possible way I see him staying and being of use would be as a plan B/C - if Plan A/B isn't working and we need to be a little more direct/ traditional etc.

He certainly doesn't fit the way McK wants us to play - he's simple not mobile enough.

The only way I can see him staying is if he can work a washing machine, use an iron and heat press squad numbers.
Joe Pigott on 10:03 - May 18 with 796 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 09:56 - May 18 by Guthrum

Probably always going to be the case that when so many new players come into a club, not all of those will work out (or be needed) - especially when coupled with a change of Manager.

Indeed, always going to be some who don't work out when you bring in 19 players and different managers have different ideas.
Joe Pigott on 10:05 - May 18 with 778 viewshomer_123

Joe Pigott on 10:02 - May 18 by STYG

The only way I can see him staying is if he can work a washing machine, use an iron and heat press squad numbers.

I'm not sure you have made your feelings clear.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Joe Pigott on 10:06 - May 18 with 778 viewsBlueBadger

Joe Pigott on 10:02 - May 18 by STYG

Let's face it, we've needed someone in that role since Cook's 'coaching' team left.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Joe Pigott on 10:06 - May 18 with 782 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Joe Pigott on 10:01 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

I reckon you're right on the first five, not sure on KVY but certainly possible and I think Edwards will be in the thoughts. Dobra's another I reckon will go if they get someone interested. Both him and Idris a bit unlucky to be at the stage of their development they are when the money has come in and managers have looked to bring in several senior players.

I think it's probably needed but the potential churn of players is a little bit worrying.

No one wants a repeat of last year.

And if you add the players already gone who featured at all last season:

Harper.
Pigott
Penny
Hladly
Idris
KVY
Edwards
Dobra
Norwood
Bonne
Bakinson
Thompson
Holy
McGavin

It's going to be quite a changed team that requires 'gelling' again.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Joe Pigott on 10:09 - May 18 with 778 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 by wkj

I think Pigott is a perfectly good player, I don't think we're set up to play to his strengths. I am not a fan of binning a player off after a single season, but if we are to do better, we need better up front.

If Kayden stays fit and pulls holes in the defence then we need a marksman that might not rely so much on physical strength, but good movement into channels and a marksman's instict. Can Pigott fit in to this? I doubt it - in all honesty.

I don't like to see teams built around a single player. Too fragile*. Better to get men in to fit an overall system/style.

* Especially somewhere like L1, where there's not just injury or loss of form, but also the risk of the star being poached by teams in higher divisions.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Joe Pigott on 10:12 - May 18 with 771 viewsBlueBadger

Joe Pigott on 10:00 - May 18 by wkj

Joe Pigott by BlueBadger 18 May 2022 9:26
But what ARE his strengths?

He doesn't have any presence in the box, doesn't hold the ball up and bring others into play and doesn't have any pace.

I'm not sure what exactly it is he offers.
I suspect the only reason he'll be still on the books come next season is that no-one else will be willing to pay his wages.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Joe Pigott on 10:15 - May 18 with 764 viewsjayessess

Harper, Pigott, Hladky I get, but not a big fan of ditching too many squad players, just so we can go and sign more. Are we really going to make a worthwhile improvement on Penney and El Mizouni if we're recruiting for 2nd choice left back and 4th/5th choice centre midfielder?
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:29]

Joe Pigott on 10:16 - May 18 with 761 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 10:06 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

I think it's probably needed but the potential churn of players is a little bit worrying.

Harper.
Pigott
Penny
Hladly
Idris
KVY
Edwards
Dobra
Norwood
Bonne
Bakinson
Thompson
Holy
McGavin

However, a lot of those were only bit-part players, or loans which are in the process of going back (unless we sign some of them).

Also, I think this "gelling" thing can be overstated, especially if there is a decent pre-season with most or all of the squad. The problems we had this time were less "gelling" and more that the system simply wasn't working properly.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:16]

Joe Pigott on 10:16 - May 18 with 760 viewswkj

Do you think there is validity to the idea he might well be looking at bringing some Man U lads in, following his recent trip to watch them play, or do you think it's just a case of sentiment towards people he coached in his old role?

Joe Pigott on 10:23 - May 18 with 738 viewswkj

Joe Pigott on 10:12 - May 18 by BlueBadger

Joe Pigott by BlueBadger 18 May 2022 9:26
But what ARE his strengths?

He doesn't have any presence in the box, doesn't hold the ball up and bring others into play and doesn't have any pace.

I'm not sure what exactly it is he offers.
I suspect the only reason he'll be still on the books come next season is that no-one else will be willing to pay his wages.

Well those are fine questions, but you don't just score 20 in a season by being a post. Something changed around him that didn't suit his style, whatever that style may be.

However, a Championship chasing striker he is not, his CV before Wimbledon was that of a L2 striker who was lucky to be where he was, not a championship striker who slipped down the leagues.

Joe Pigott on 10:23 - May 18 with 741 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 10:16 - May 18 by wkj

Do you think there is validity to the idea he might well be looking at bringing some Man U lads in, following his recent trip to watch them play, or do you think it's just a case of sentiment towards people he coached in his old role?

That game was as he'd had an invite along with other ex-staff. But I'm sure we'll have at least one Man U loanee come in.
Joe Pigott on 10:24 - May 18 with 744 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 10:15 - May 18 by jayessess

Harper, Pigott, Hladky I get, but not a big fan of ditching too many squad players, just so we can go and sign more. Are we really going to make a worthwhile improvement on Penney and El Mizouni if we're recruiting for 2nd choice left back and 4th/5th choice centre midfielder?
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:29]

You've also got to think of the players themselves. Not great for El Mizouni's development to play, say, 12 games next season. Needs to move on to play regularly, as much as I'd like him to stay here and prove himself.
Joe Pigott on 10:24 - May 18 with 735 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Joe Pigott on 10:16 - May 18 by Guthrum

However, a lot of those were only bit-part players, or loans which are in the process of going back (unless we sign some of them).

Also, I think this "gelling" thing can be overstated, especially if there is a decent pre-season with most or all of the squad. The problems we had this time were less "gelling" and more that the system simply wasn't working properly.
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:16]

Maybe the easier way to look at it, is what we think our starting 11 will be on day one of the season, and leave gaps where we think the player hasn't been signed yet.

Walton

Donacian Woolfie Edmundson

Burns Evans Morsy(if he stays) (Someone New)

Chaplin Celina (if he stays)

Jackson (although may well be 2nd behind new forward)
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:26]

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Joe Pigott on 10:27 - May 18 with 725 viewsitfcjoe

I would add Burgess to that list as well

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joe Pigott on 10:28 - May 18 with 724 viewsitfcjoe

Joe Pigott on 10:06 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

Harper.
Pigott
Penny
Hladly
Idris
KVY
Edwards
Dobra
Norwood
Bonne
Bakinson
Thompson
Holy
McGavin

Even with all them gone, this team doesn't need 'time to gel'

––––––––––-Walton––––––––-
Donacien–Woolf–––––Edmundson––-?
–––––--Morsy––––-Evans––––––
Burns––––––-Aluko–––––-Chaplin
––––––––-Jackson–––––––––-

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Joe Pigott on 10:29 - May 18 with 716 viewswkj

Joe Pigott on 10:27 - May 18 by itfcjoe

I wouldn't. Whilst Edmundson is better, Burgess did much better under McKenna than he did under Cook. He would be adequate cover for a long term injury, Bagott would be good for the odd patch here and there while he gets used to the physicality of the senior game.

Joe Pigott on 10:29 - May 18 with 715 viewsGuthrum

Joe Pigott on 10:24 - May 18 by OriginalMarkyP

Maybe the easier way to look at it, is what we think our starting 11 will be on day one of the season, and leave gaps where we think the player hasn't been signed yet.

Walton

Donacian Woolfie Edmundson

Burns Evans Morsy(if he stays) (Someone New)

Chaplin Celina (if he stays)

Jackson (although may well be 2nd behind new forward)
[Post edited 18 May 2022 10:26]

Indeed. Tho "Someone New" might be Edwards or even KVY, if McKenna thinks they can convert.

Then we have to consider backup/cover - for which we will require another FB, a midfielder and more forwards. Maybe a goalie, too.

Unless I've missed it, Celina isn't ours for next season yet, either.

Joe Pigott on 10:29 - May 18 with 719 viewsPhilTWTD

Joe Pigott on 10:27 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Perhaps, although they'd need to get someone in first. But can see he's not quite what KMc wants in a centre-half, even if he's said a lot of positive things about him.
Joe Pigott on 10:31 - May 18 with 702 viewsjayessess

Joe Pigott on 10:23 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

That game was as he'd had an invite along with other ex-staff. But I'm sure we'll have at least one Man U loanee come in.

Hard to see actual candidates there though, I think? The ones who would obviously improve us won't be looking for League One loans.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024