Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… 15:52 - Apr 12 with 4923 viewsMattinLondon

…do you offer her your seat? For arguments sake, she doesn’t look pregnant or has any form of disability and she isn’t elderly.

I wouldn’t as I don’t see why someone who happens to be female should get preferential treatment. To be it’s just a form of sexism that states that women need special treatment and looking after.

The reason I ask is because a member of my team stated that they would expect a man should get-up for a woman - despite previously stating that both sexes should be treated equally.

Just wondered what your views were on this rather unimportant subject.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:24 - Apr 12 with 1341 viewsJ2BLUE

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:22 - Apr 12 by jeera

This needs some context.

If you're driving, i.e. picking her/ him/ whatever preference, for a date chances are you're not going to be on the same side of the car.

So no, I didn't have in mind a Starsky and Hutch style roll across the thing to beat her to it and open the door in order to impress her.

I was thinking more that you've just left the restaurant and got back to the car.

I would walk to her side side first and open the door out of courtesy. That's still normal, right?

So many things which used to come under being a gentleman which now come under you sexist bastard.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:26 - Apr 12 with 1332 viewswkj

I have decided to solve this issue by creating a pre-relationship checklist. I hope this helps you as much as I know it is going to help me.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:33 - Apr 12 with 1303 viewsmutters

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:22 - Apr 12 by jeera

This needs some context.

If you're driving, i.e. picking her/ him/ whatever preference, for a date chances are you're not going to be on the same side of the car.

So no, I didn't have in mind a Starsky and Hutch style roll across the thing to beat her to it and open the door in order to impress her.

I was thinking more that you've just left the restaurant and got back to the car.

I would walk to her side side first and open the door out of courtesy. That's still normal, right?

Yeah, I am with you on this. I would probably open the door for her when we got back to the car as it was on the way. Likewise, if it was the first date and I was driving I'd open the door from the inside whilst in the driver's seat.

A Starsky and Hutch roll would be amazing and certainly lead to a second date if you pulled it off correctly and didn't end up in a heap on the floor.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:33 - Apr 12 with 1304 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I always used to.
However, after being sworn at by a woman for holding the door open for her, it’s made me think twice about offering seats or such like.
Guess I’m just getting old, but times change.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:36 - Apr 12 with 1298 viewsnoggin

Wouldn't even consider it. Of course, if she were pregnant, elderly or disabled, yes I would.

Poll: If KM goes now, will you applaud him when he returns with his new club?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:48 - Apr 12 with 1264 viewsLord_Lucan

If I were on a crowded bus or train I wouldn’t even sit down in the first place as I know that there would be people more in need of a seat than me.

On the tube today and couldn’t believe the amount of men just sitting there.

Old fashioned - maybe

Each to their own I suppose.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:50 - Apr 12 with 1264 viewsJ2BLUE

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:48 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

If I were on a crowded bus or train I wouldn’t even sit down in the first place as I know that there would be people more in need of a seat than me.

On the tube today and couldn’t believe the amount of men just sitting there.

Old fashioned - maybe

Each to their own I suppose.

That's the strategy I would use. Can't offend anyone just standing there!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:05 - Apr 12 with 1236 viewsRyorry

Female, obvs elderly now & would probably appreciatively accept unless my back or hamstring were on bad days, in which case sitting down would be excruciating & remaining standing far more comfortable .

In my younger, fitter days half a C ago I'd have regarded it as kinda sweet, but a bit patronising. (Unless heavily pregnant or young kids in tow).

If I were a young, healthy female now I'd regard it as irrational & sexist (excepting same proviso re pregnancy/kids) & give you an amused smile.

People should also remember & consider hidden illnesses & disabilities that anyone of any age may have. If I were sitting down now & any man or woman looked uncomfortable, in pain or distressed, offering them my seat would be my instinctive & immediate reation.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Login to get fewer ads

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:12 - Apr 12 with 1216 viewsFixed_It

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:16 - Apr 12 by jeera

Yeah that's a testing situation.

I remember picking up this lass I was mad about in my car and she put her feet up on my dashboard.

I kept looking over for the whole journey and it was really winding me up.

What were you hoping to see?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:14 - Apr 12 with 1209 viewsLord_Lucan

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:50 - Apr 12 by J2BLUE

I can’t see the argument anyway really. Most women aren’t swivel eyed loons and deserve and appreciate a bit of common decency - IMHO of course.

Just glanced at the post above from my fishing buddy stoabochossteve (SP) and I’d happily run the risk of getting moaned at as long as in my mind I’m doing the right thing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:21 - Apr 12 with 1185 viewsChurchman

I always open doors for women unless they’ve been unpleasant or rude.

I have always offered a seat to anyone I thought was struggling and needed it, male or female too. The fit and healthy can stand, as I would if I hadn’t rested my ample rear end first.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:21 - Apr 12 with 1188 viewsjeera

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:12 - Apr 12 by Fixed_It

What were you hoping to see?!

For her to take her ****ing shoes off for a start!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:54 - Apr 12 with 1162 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ask the woman at work if she would mind sitting on your lap or perhaps you could sit on hers.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:02 - Apr 12 with 1153 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:07 - Apr 12 by Ftnfwest

Yes I would but clearly I'm a sexist s**t rather than just polite. Of course I could then be put into the horrendous position of her politely declining my offer. Sorry 'they'.

Depends where you are. In the UK, some women I know would be offended in a 'do you think I need your seat because I'm a WOMAN?" kind of way.

In the States, offer your seat every time in-case their husband shoots you.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:03 - Apr 12 with 1151 viewssolomon

One thing I learnt early in life is all the girls love a gentleman, being chivalrous makes you an alpha male in their eyes. Makes you feel good too.
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:14 - Apr 12 with 1109 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:09 - Apr 12 by clive_baker

For a woman? No, wouldn't even cross my mind. For a parent with young kids I would offer it to the parent or if the little un wants to sit down. but that would be regardless of if its a bloke or a woman.

Elderly, yes.
Pregnant, yes.

It's always a sticky one on the tube when you're not sure if someone is pregnant or just had a heavy Christmas under their coat.

I think the important factor is whether it looks as if they need the seat more than me, be that male, female, pregnant or had a little too much Christmas lunch. I know how much I need the seat and that might vary according to many factors. How much I judge someone else to need it is the more difficult part.

However, I generally take the decision away by not using public transport.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:15 - Apr 12 with 1101 viewsRyorry

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:03 - Apr 12 by solomon

One thing I learnt early in life is all the girls love a gentleman, being chivalrous makes you an alpha male in their eyes. Makes you feel good too.

Surely "chivalrous" means being kind & treating all people of whatever gender with consideration though? Really don't see why that should be only applied to women.

Poll: Time of the annunciation

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:16 - Apr 12 with 1105 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 16:50 - Apr 12 by J2BLUE

Unless you're standing to get a glimpse down their top?
Not that I would of course........
[Post edited 12 Apr 2022 18:16]

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:17 - Apr 12 with 1097 viewsLord_Lucan

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:02 - Apr 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

Depends where you are. In the UK, some women I know would be offended in a 'do you think I need your seat because I'm a WOMAN?" kind of way.

In the States, offer your seat every time in-case their husband shoots you.

I didn’t mean to either up or down vote that, my fingers went off piste.

I would happily run the risk of offending women, I just think it’s polite and courteous.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:21 - Apr 12 with 1079 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:17 - Apr 12 by Lord_Lucan

I didn’t mean to either up or down vote that, my fingers went off piste.

I would happily run the risk of offending women, I just think it’s polite and courteous.

Me too. But It's a growing thing.

I tend to offer my seat in a crowded train or bus to the following.

Women, pregnant or otherwise.
Mums or dads with very young children, out of prams but still with tired legs.
The elderly.

I'll also think nothing of telling young, (teenage and twenty something), lads and girls to shift their arses for passengers.

Is it a date with.... on 18:21 - Apr 12 with 1079 viewsWD19

Is it a date with.... on 16:13 - Apr 12 by Bloots

...a man or a woman?

Or neither?

Or both?

More importantly, is the car on a bend and how fast is it travelling?
You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:25 - Apr 12 with 1069 viewstextbackup

Weird old world innit, one min you are offering a seat to a female (because gentlemen are a dying breed) next you are sexist.

FWIW I’ll always offer my seat, I’ll always walk between the road and a female, and hold doors open (but I’d do that for blokes too)

I’d like to think normal men of the world will continue this stuff forever.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The losers ribbons (n/t) on 18:27 - Apr 12 with 1055 viewsBloots

Is it a date with.... on 18:21 - Apr 12 by WD19

More importantly, is the car on a bend and how fast is it travelling?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:45 - Apr 12 with 1048 viewsSwansea_Blue

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 17:05 - Apr 12 by Ryorry

Female, obvs elderly now & would probably appreciatively accept unless my back or hamstring were on bad days, in which case sitting down would be excruciating & remaining standing far more comfortable .

In my younger, fitter days half a C ago I'd have regarded it as kinda sweet, but a bit patronising. (Unless heavily pregnant or young kids in tow).

If I were a young, healthy female now I'd regard it as irrational & sexist (excepting same proviso re pregnancy/kids) & give you an amused smile.

People should also remember & consider hidden illnesses & disabilities that anyone of any age may have. If I were sitting down now & any man or woman looked uncomfortable, in pain or distressed, offering them my seat would be my instinctive & immediate reation.

I don’t see why it’s sexist to be offered a seat. Even if you didn’t want to sit down, couldn’t you rest your washing basket on it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:57 - Apr 12 with 1032 viewsfooters

You’re on a crowded bus or train and a woman gets on… on 18:45 - Apr 12 by Swansea_Blue

I don’t see why it’s sexist to be offered a seat. Even if you didn’t want to sit down, couldn’t you rest your washing basket on it?

Oh yeah, special shout out to any tw@t who thinks their bag is worthy of its own seat. That's what your lap is for. Plus, it can hide any potential arousal en route.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024