Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) 13:08 - Mar 21 with 3808 viewspafcprogs

Greetings,

So in advance of Paul Mariner day, which I am gutted to be missing, I wanted to test the temperature of where you think the play offs will land after your somewhat unfortunate draw at Oxford.

Of all our remaining games and we have some toughies I think the trip to PR is the one I would happily snap your hand off for a draw. Your defensive form is unreal ( as is ours by and large) although we seem to have the edge on attacking/goalscoring but despite winning 4-0 on Saturday the consensus was we were not that good and the scoreline flattered us.

This is written before we play Cheltenham which I hope delivers is a scabby 1-0 or whatever we need to take our haul to 74 before we hike cross country to you guys.

My gut is that 7/7 wins is what you need and that's not impossible but seems improbable. I have a suspicion I know how we will set out our stall and I am sure your coaching team will have an idea of how to combat it as well, so I would expect a cagey game, first goal being all important.

There is a cluster of green super optimists who think we can gatecrash the automatics....which I again think is possible but unlikely, so my prediction in the playoffs will be MK Us Wendies and either Oxford or Wycombe. The only thing that might change at the top end is if Rotherhams fixture mash up in April causes them to drop more points and MK continue their remarkable
form.

Sunderland obviously still have a shot but have to visit us and Oxford. Whycome have a simpler run in and is the second most problematic fixture for us as they do seem to have a thing about us ( and our fans rise to the bait every time).

Given your defensive strength is that at the expense of attacking verve or do you simply have a new style being coached that suits the players? Is Morsy fit? I commented on the Oxford forum ( which I have found d surprisingly welcoming and not remotely salty on my visits) that Morsy is the player that all footballing sides wish they had when they come up against them....does the dog work and has a nasty streak, but can play too. I saw he subbed on at the weekend, so I guess he is being managed but if this one is sh*t or bust for you then I presume you want him in?

I hope the Wendies continue to implode as I think they are the most problematic of the teams we might face in the play offs , plus it will keep the Yorkshire Samaritans in chip butties.....

Suffice to say we are happy to still be in contention and in form....even if our Chairman has indicated that going up might be a bit too soon financially but if we do he might play his ukulele naked in Union Street. That has to be worth a point or two!

Obviously I wish you well after Saturday. We will try and decapitate the Oxford challenge the following week, all the more so if you beat us.

Two of the best young coaches in the league going head to head......nil nil then :)
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:16 - Mar 21 with 3698 viewsRadlett_blue

We've improved massively under McKenna but still struggle to score goals. If you come and play for a draw, which I agree would suit you very well, I think we may well struggle to break you down as we've drawn 4 of our last 6 games, despite being the better side in all of them.
All the top 10 seem in decent form so I think it's going to take 80 points to make the play offs so I think our race is pretty much run.
Rotherham seem to have lost form at the wrong time but you'll have to keep winning to stand a chance of automatic. I've always had a soft spot for Argyle as a friend's dad was vice-chairman in the 1970s.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:22 - Mar 21 with 3651 viewscarlo88

I live near Plymouth and (almost) have divided loyalties, if we fail I would love to see Argyle reach the play offs. I fear the last minute equaliser was the end of our hopes on the weekend and I agree think we need to win all the remaining games - maybe one draw and six wins might be enough. I think actually we will beat you next week as we usually do pretty well against Plymouth.

You must be playing really well as every time I think you'll fall away you come back with really strong results.
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:24 - Mar 21 with 3639 viewsJ2BLUE

Wouldn't mind you going up but looking to next season I would rather get rid of Sunderland or Sheff Wed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 3632 viewsNthQldITFC

We're one sticky striker away from being almost unbeatable in this division. If Bonne gets it right on Saturday and the next six, and if Morsy stays fit (if everyone stays fit!) I wouldn't be surprised if we did make it, but the odds are against. If we don't make it, I sincerely hope that you do.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:26 - Mar 21 with 3625 viewsitfcsuth

I think it will be difficult for any side to dent the top 2 now.

Plymouth are in red hot form, and I have to say I thought you’d fall away when Lowe left, but appointing his no.2 looks to have been a shrewd move purely to ensure no drastic playing style changes to the side.

Should be a really good game. Two really good sides in good form. We are as good a side as any currently I believe in the division so I have to say I don’t fear anyone coming to PR now, but there is a lot of respect for Plymouth and how good you are yourselves.

I don’t think Town will make the play-offs due to such a poor first half of the season - and if it isn’t us, I’d love to see Plymouth make it - good club, good style of play, lovely place, decent group of fans and of course a strong Paul Mariner connection.

Looking forward to the game - no doubt it will end 0-0 now.
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:27 - Mar 21 with 3614 viewstractordownsouth

As someone who grew up in Cornwall I know a fair few Argyle fans and have visited Home Park a number of times. Of all the teams in the play off picture, I'd probably prefer you to get promoted but for selfish reasons I want to be able to visit Home Park next year.

I think a 0-0 or 1-1 is the likely outcome for Saturday.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:37 - Mar 21 with 3499 viewsjayessess

I think our race is run really. I'm impressed that yours is still going considering the run in you had.

Rotherham's form seems to have deserted them and they've got some tricky one to come, so it's not inconceivable someone will catch them, but I'd guess MK Dons rather than yourselves still.

Saturday, well, I'd have us as favourites, especially if Morsy's fit to start. But we seem to be finding a multitude of ways not to win games when we ought to right now, so part of me is resigned to another bloody draw.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2022 15:08]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:42 - Mar 21 with 3467 viewsHARRY10

Still all up on the air with only a few games left.

Rotherham are in danger of losing the title - and possibly even an automatic spot

While general trends are perhaps a guide (to finishing total) they are only a guide, and much can happen. No Town fans would have predicted ALL those around us would be drawing in the closing second with us winning - happy days .

Then fark !

Sunderland, Wendies and Pompey highlight the dangers of getting stuck down here. All, like ourselves, have spent much of their time in the top two tiers.

Getting out is not just about the money and the size of the fanbase.

Hopefully it will go down to the wire, the last day. More fun that way.
Login to get fewer ads

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:54 - Mar 21 with 3380 viewspafcprogs

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 13:26 - Mar 21 by itfcsuth

I think it will be difficult for any side to dent the top 2 now.

Plymouth are in red hot form, and I have to say I thought you’d fall away when Lowe left, but appointing his no.2 looks to have been a shrewd move purely to ensure no drastic playing style changes to the side.

Should be a really good game. Two really good sides in good form. We are as good a side as any currently I believe in the division so I have to say I don’t fear anyone coming to PR now, but there is a lot of respect for Plymouth and how good you are yourselves.

I don’t think Town will make the play-offs due to such a poor first half of the season - and if it isn’t us, I’d love to see Plymouth make it - good club, good style of play, lovely place, decent group of fans and of course a strong Paul Mariner connection.

Looking forward to the game - no doubt it will end 0-0 now.

I think you might be right.

the Lowe thing is interesting. there is no doubt that when he left we thought Shuey would go too, but the fact we announced him immediately and we then went and grabbed a decent draw at MK very quickly cemented the fans behind him.

There was a lot of "car salesman " about Lowe, and the way he left felt pretty classless.....telling the PNE fans that he had to go because they were such a big club ( ie in comparison) after almost three years of undying love for Argyle.

He never relocated, Shuey did, and frankly we ended up with the better man and I think the better coach/manager. With Lowe It always seemed to be all about him,. Schumacher it seems to be all about everyone but him.

Not sure we are in red hot form.....despite the line of green W's. But we will probably score.....and we are good at keeping shots down/out and have an excellent keeper for the ones on target.

Time will tell.
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 14:17 - Mar 21 with 3193 viewsGarv

Saturday should be fun as it's two good teams but unfortunately it's all set up for a damp squib.

We're done in terms of play offs. Completely done, there's no chance we're getting there - zero. A win on Saturday will send us home happy but it won't mean anything come the end of the season.

Barring a disaster you'll be in there and I can only see MK getting in the autos if anyone, so as you said a point will be more than welcome.

I agree with your 0-0 prediction. 1-1 at a push.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 15:09 - Mar 21 with 2994 viewsFtnfwest

you want Rotherham, they're imploding. Amazed we're still just about in it but it shows the job that McK has done.
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:01 - Mar 21 with 2783 viewsLankHenners

Anything less than 7/7 wins for us and we'll be relying on a remarkable breakdown from at least a couple of teams above to see us into 6th which sadly isn't going to happen.

As for yourselves I think a few wondered if you'd slip away when you had a little wobble around the time Lowe left but you've done well to recover and keep chugging along, and your run-in is particularly tough so fair play to you if come through it with a strong top 6 finish (seems if anyone will upset the Rotherham/Wigan top 2 bid it'll be MK Dons).

As for the upcoming fixture, I think the first half could mimic our recent games against Portsmouth and Oxford - we'll come out of the traps fast but the opening periods could be a bit open with both teams having a couple of decent chances. In these games and others we've then turned it up a notch in the 2nd and have been comfortably the better side but so far failed to really turn the screw, although you could argue we've been on the wrong side of fine margins/bad luck (a late goal wrongly flagged offside against Portsmouth, a last second corner headed in against Oxford).

Morsy is a big help - drives the team forwards but has been managing a hamstring problem over the last few games (hence why he only appeared from the bench on Saturday). I think we all feel confident we can keep any opponent quiet and our problem is more converting chances rather than creating them, which we do plenty at times. If the season had just a few more weeks we could really hit our stride but as it stands we'll run out of time and this Saturday I can see being either 0-0 or 1-1.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:25 - Mar 21 with 2663 viewsBLUEBEAT

Ginsters.

Poll: ACID, FUNK, ACID FUNK?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:30 - Mar 21 with 2639 viewsTractorCam

Saturday was a sickener, you could see it in the players body language at full time. They knew just like we did that we needed 3 points from that. The only good side is all of the other teams (bar yourselves) also drew, but that could just as equally be looked at in a bad light as that would have been a perfect weekend.

7 wins will get us there, but with yourselves, Rotherham and Wigan all to play, I won't exactly be checking out Wembley train tickets....

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:35 - Mar 21 with 2604 viewsStenvict

It's worrying that you're taking about automatics, as I had you down as dropping out of the Top 6 due to your end of season run in. I had us down as replacing you, however we won't get in the Top 6 now, but of all the teams up there, I hope you go up, mainly because that hill from the train station to Home Park is a nightmare.

It'll be 0-0 on Saturday

Poll: What will be announced first?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:58 - Mar 21 with 2492 viewsTractorCam

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:35 - Mar 21 by Stenvict

It's worrying that you're taking about automatics, as I had you down as dropping out of the Top 6 due to your end of season run in. I had us down as replacing you, however we won't get in the Top 6 now, but of all the teams up there, I hope you go up, mainly because that hill from the train station to Home Park is a nightmare.

It'll be 0-0 on Saturday

Especially when your train doesn't arrive until 2:35pm!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 17:25 - Mar 21 with 2402 viewsITFC_Forever

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 16:35 - Mar 21 by Stenvict

It'll be 0-0 on Saturday

I like Plymouth away, best away game I've been to this season (although admittedly my count has been somewhat restricted for various reasons this year).

I thought Plymouth would drop away after Lowe left, but it seems not and they are going strong again.

Other than the fact it would mean losing Argyle from our away games next season, I too hope they would go up... I too have a family connection to them as my Mum's side of the family are from Cornwall and my Grandad followed them (although not to the extent of actually going to games as far as I know).

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 17:55 - Mar 21 with 2307 viewsSawtrich

Plymouth are a strong, strong side for this league. Like a lot of people I thought you'd slip down when the manager left but you've done brilliantly. Anyone from this division that can go to Chelsea and give them a game has got plenty going for them. The play offs are always a bit of a lottery though, there will be four strong sides in there this season. No reason Plymouth can't win them though and the way Rotherham are going, who knows for the automatics? MK must be getting quite excited.
Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 20:03 - Mar 21 with 1995 viewsquirkie

Argyle are effectively my 2nd team. I live in West Cornwall and been to many Argyle games so if we don't go up in the play offs, hope that Argyle manage to do so over the other sides.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 22:58 - Mar 21 with 1667 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think Wigan and either Rotherham or Dons will take automatic.

I would be surprised if you didn't take up one of the other 3 play-off spots. That leaves Oxford, Sunderland, Wednesday and Wycombe fighting it out for the last two places. If 3 of those four really mess it up, we could sneak in there but we would need fairly phenomenal form over our last 7 as well. To make up a 6 point gap in 7 matches would be impressive, especially with us having 3 of the top four in those matches. even if we won 5 of them, they only need 3 wins and a draw to stay ahead.

I would be delighted for you to win the play-offs. I don't buy into the division being more difficult with Sunderland and Portsmouth in it. They have not prevented any side going up since they arrived here. We need to be better than all of the teams at this level next season, whoever they are.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Argyle fan in peace ( as I believe is the correct form) on 01:03 - Mar 22 with 1516 viewsbournemouthblue

My cousins lived in Plymouth for a fair part of their Childhood but given the geographical distances involved, I have rarely ever visited it and they have rarely seen Ipswich

But I was down there for my cousins wedding and it seems alright, it must have serious potential as a fanbase, you literally could have the entirety of Cornwall and much of Devon?

I quite liked it, there seemed to be an unusually high number of American diners along the roads, is that a thing down there or did I just take a road where this was more common?

Moving over to Football, McKenna has been brilliant for us and has us playing an excellent brand of football with a far more organised defence

Are we less potent upfront as a result? Probably not, we do seem to create plenty of guilty edged chances, we just have League One quality strikers who miss more than they take

I noticed when we first dropped down from the Championship how wasteful League One sides are in particular

The composure, footballing intelligence and technical skills are all that much lower at this level and whilst the teams can be quite good, I think we have an abnormal amount of capable sides this season, hence the high points totals, the reality is most sides lack Championship quality strikers

That's the issue for us, we simply don't take enough of our decent chances to really put teams to the sword

Next season if McKenna can secure a striker or two of that quality, I suspect we will storm the league

Going back to our result earlier in the season against yourselves, I get the impression we played really well but spurned tonnes of chances against you, innevitably to be punished by not taking them, that's football

We did the same at Sunderland

Flip both those results on their head and we would be on the verge of the play-offs

It's a funny old season, as many as 80 points could be enough for the playoffs so I think our chances are gone

We could win all 7 games but it's unlikely

We have the squad to do it but I think it's too tall an order

So I wish you guys well, the biggest disappointment for me isn't where we are now under McKenna

It's that we won't get a crack at Norwich again next season, that probably isn't a bad thing

Another season of building and recruiting smartly, will set us up better for the Championship assuming we can finally get back there the following season

Marcus Evans ground us into the dirt and it's sad to see where we are now, our new owners however are serious operators and I have no doubt will make us considerably more competitive as time goes on

The club has a buzz around it again and is again, considerably more optimistic for the future

It should be a good game, I haven't had a season ticket for a few years but I may actually go to this one, we are overdue a decent performance

Perhaps with the shackles off, we will be a bit more relaxed and play with a bit less pressure on our shoulders

We will see, bring on the game
[Post edited 22 Mar 2022 1:04]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024