Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be 16:17 - Feb 9 with 2643 viewsyorkshire

I know a lot of people got pretty excited when Hurst was announced only for that to quickly disappear once the season started so badly. At that time I think a lot of fans wanted a good young manager in the mold of a Sir Bobby and hoped that it was Hurst.

Having had to suffer through the disappointment of Hurst, then Lambert then Cook I think fans are a little more jaded but it does seem like people are falling in love with McKenna

Obviously results have been good under him so far, even if performances have been amazing - however for me it’s the way he comes out to talk with the press and actually what he says that has really impressed me so far

I think a play off spot is still a tough ask but feel much more confident now and if we don’t get up this season then I am daring to dream that next season will be a good one
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:20 - Feb 9 with 647 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:09 - Feb 9 by RadioOrwell

Hate to poke a hornets nest but maybe it was Ashton ...???

I've wandered if KM was a shortlisted target by ashton and those above before the mcgreal incoming or if it was after.. was it the gk coach who came in with mcgreal but who also worked with KM but also ashton previously. Or have I got the coaches mixed up?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:28 - Feb 9 with 625 viewsDennyx4

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:08 - Feb 9 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think it goes deeper than simple physical fitness (which all 3 of our previous seemed to bemoan with different players). We are mentally fitter and able to play the game situation. Under our last two managers we were unable to adapt according to the needs of the match. That was the main reason for throwing away leads under Cook.

Think it actually helps to play 3 central defenders too - something Cook was reluctant to change to.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:30 - Feb 9 with 619 viewscbower

One fundamental difference. McKenna has tactical awareness. He can adapt and crucially, doesn't seem to want to play square pegs in round holes. Hurst seemed clueless and panicked. His selection against Norwich was, frankly, baffling. Lambert was a pseudo tactician. The splitting defenders he deployed in the first two months was embarrassing. Cook - wedded to one system and no defensive shape or nous.

bluescouser

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:32 - Feb 9 with 611 viewsMullet

If you mean successful then possibly.

We’ve certainly had no one worth talking about since Mick in terms of success. Thanks to Hurst though all frame of reference for that has shifted. We are nothing like the club Hurst joined, thanks to him ironically enough

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:58 - Feb 9 with 563 viewsRonFearonsHair

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:16 - Feb 9 by Pendejo

Shirley Hurst was on an upward trajectory?

He hasn’t exactly gone on to bigger and better things..

I suppose I meant it more as in McKenna hopefully has his most successful days ahead of him rather than many of our other managers, whose were already behind them.
Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:04 - Feb 9 with 547 viewscbower

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:32 - Feb 9 by Mullet

If you mean successful then possibly.

We’ve certainly had no one worth talking about since Mick in terms of success. Thanks to Hurst though all frame of reference for that has shifted. We are nothing like the club Hurst joined, thanks to him ironically enough

Some seem to think Hurst was young, up and coming. He was 43 with several hundred games under his belt as a manager. His demolition of a half decent Championship squad were not rookie errors. He was arrogant and totally out of his depth. All but a one hit one season wonder with the Shrews. His Grimsby stuff was non league. I remember just how happy I was when he got the sack after the game at Leeds but the damage was irreparable.

bluescouser

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:06 - Feb 9 with 537 viewsMullet

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:04 - Feb 9 by cbower

Some seem to think Hurst was young, up and coming. He was 43 with several hundred games under his belt as a manager. His demolition of a half decent Championship squad were not rookie errors. He was arrogant and totally out of his depth. All but a one hit one season wonder with the Shrews. His Grimsby stuff was non league. I remember just how happy I was when he got the sack after the game at Leeds but the damage was irreparable.

Yep, that night at Leeds was as low as it gets. He was already done by then, but the manner in which Bielsa dealt with us was humiliating.

The problem was, as with Cook there had become this "anyone but the last guy" mentality from too many and not enough objectivity from a dedicated minority.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:07 - Feb 9 with 534 viewsFrimleyBlue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:04 - Feb 9 by cbower

Hadn't he won only 1 in 16 games before coming to us.

May not have been quite that bad but the 2nd half of the season before wasn't that prolific, he'd just had an incredible first half of season.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:23 - Feb 9 with 499 viewsGuthrum

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 18:30 - Feb 9 by cbower

One fundamental difference. McKenna has tactical awareness. He can adapt and crucially, doesn't seem to want to play square pegs in round holes. Hurst seemed clueless and panicked. His selection against Norwich was, frankly, baffling. Lambert was a pseudo tactician. The splitting defenders he deployed in the first two months was embarrassing. Cook - wedded to one system and no defensive shape or nous.

He's a different type of manager to Hurst. I see the latter as more like a young Cook, coming up through the system, with traditional attitudes.

Whereas McKenna has been a technician, working under some very significant managers, grounded in the most up-to-date methods used at the highest levels.

His problem is not upgrading what has already been done at Grimsby or Chesterfield, but of turning all the theory he knows into practice as the man in charge.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:32 - Feb 9 with 483 viewsGuthrum

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 19:07 - Feb 9 by FrimleyBlue

Hadn't he won only 1 in 16 games before coming to us.

May not have been quite that bad but the 2nd half of the season before wasn't that prolific, he'd just had an incredible first half of season.

Not that bad, but Shrewsbury did drop from top spot on 24th March to nine points behind 2nd place at the end of the season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 20:30 - Feb 9 with 436 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is McKenna the manager we hoped Paul Hurst would be on 17:25 - Feb 9 by tractorboy1978

Important to add as well that McKenna is working within a structure that offers all of the support tools he needs to do his job effectively - comprehensive medical team, fitness team, sports science team, empowered CEO, recruitment team being built, supportive owners, financial backing.

Realistically Evans could never appoint someone of his ilk as the structure wasn't right. And a manager like McKenna used to working with this sort of set up wouldn't think about coming here.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2022 17:31]

Yep. Switch it around and we could never have had someone like McK because Evans hadn’t put the infrastructure in place. That’s something everyone was pointing out through his whole time here. We never had a proper football CEO to steer the club on a daily basis in his 13 or so years. That’s awful leadership. And he paid the price as well as us, through £90 million wasted to go backwards. The club certainly paid the price.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024