Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playoff position finish 10:31 - Jan 26 with 2756 viewstextbackup

18 games left

9 home
9 away

76 points would see a top 6 finish (i think)

currently on 41

35 points needed....

this "just finding a way to win" is bang on what you need in league 1. for too long we've made hard work of this league.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 10:46]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Playoff position finish on 10:43 - Jan 26 with 2652 viewsdavblue

that's going to be really good going from here on in.

We are going to need 2 lots of 5 or 6 wins on the spin in those 18 games.
Playoff position finish on 10:48 - Jan 26 with 2629 viewsitfcsuth

35 points needed from 54 available. It's going to be a tough tough ask, I don't think we've been good enough for large parts of the season if truth be told to go up.

This league is hard work to get out of, and it's getting harder every year, you have to be a good side consistently to get out of the League.
Playoff position finish on 10:50 - Jan 26 with 2607 viewsDubtractor

What's really annoying is that for 15 games or so in our first season down here lambert nailed the 'find a way to win' thing, then decided to mess around with it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Playoff position finish on 10:55 - Jan 26 with 2566 viewstextbackup

Playoff position finish on 10:48 - Jan 26 by itfcsuth

35 points needed from 54 available. It's going to be a tough tough ask, I don't think we've been good enough for large parts of the season if truth be told to go up.

This league is hard work to get out of, and it's getting harder every year, you have to be a good side consistently to get out of the League.

we were pathetically inconsistent under PC, he's the reason we face such a task now.

Playoff position finish on 11:48 - Jan 26 with 2415 viewsJon_456

Playoff position finish on 10:48 - Jan 26 by itfcsuth

Dont think it should be too big a task. A small range to go off but since McKenna has been here we've picked up 2.4ppg when we only need to achieve 2ppg.

We know when we play well we can blow teams out of the water but we've had 3 games now where they've been tight and we havent played particularly well (Wycombe, Accrington & Wimbledon) and still picked up wins.

Think the important factor will be the games against those around us. If we cant win them then make sure at a minimum we don't lose them. I'd take a point on Sat.
Playoff position finish on 12:15 - Jan 26 with 2307 viewsBouncebackIpswich

11 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses from 18 games.

It's tough but doable, there is some margin for error there.

Even if you call it 9 wins, less than half the games, that's 9W 8D 1L. Again, go on an unbeaten run and its doable.

I think Ipswich have built up some momentum now and will do this. Get a result at Sheff Weds, ie don't lose lets call it a draw, and win the next 2 against the bottom 2 it becomes:

9W 1D 5L

That's more than possible.
Playoff position finish on 12:28 - Jan 26 with 2240 viewsHighgateBlue

We need about 2 points per game. Thats [win, win, loss] six times over.

The fact that it's do-able is demonstrated by our last 7 league games, in which we've got 14 points. That is, of course, 2 points per game. It also includes 2 games from before K-Mac had graced us with his magic wand. And that 7 game run included Sunderland, Wigan and Wycombe - 3 teams who are all now in the top 4.

The fact that it's not pie in the sky, in my view, is testament to the decision-making as regards getting rid of Cook. They did it at exactly the right moment in my view. I'd have gone a little earlier, but they gave him a fairer crack. Shame it didn't work out, but it might be a case of "no harm done", and McKenna feels like a long term project manager. I just hope he takes us up and we can hang on to him...
Playoff position finish on 12:33 - Jan 26 with 2210 viewsPinewoodblue

Playoff position finish on 12:28 - Jan 26 by HighgateBlue

We need about 2 points per game. Thats [win, win, loss] six times over.

The fact that it's do-able is demonstrated by our last 7 league games, in which we've got 14 points. That is, of course, 2 points per game. It also includes 2 games from before K-Mac had graced us with his magic wand. And that 7 game run included Sunderland, Wigan and Wycombe - 3 teams who are all now in the top 4.

The fact that it's not pie in the sky, in my view, is testament to the decision-making as regards getting rid of Cook. They did it at exactly the right moment in my view. I'd have gone a little earlier, but they gave him a fairer crack. Shame it didn't work out, but it might be a case of "no harm done", and McKenna feels like a long term project manager. I just hope he takes us up and we can hang on to him...

Wonder where we would be in the table if Cook had gone 5 games earlier.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Playoff position finish on 12:36 - Jan 26 with 2195 viewsRobTheMonk

Highlights how crap the results were under Cook.

Already McKenna has mixed things up with variations on formation and lo and behold, 4 wins out of 5.

Morsy, when playing, looks to have a new lease of life and is playing as an actual box to box player.

Movement off the ball looks much better and we're finally trying to get rid of some of the deadwood.
Playoff position finish on 13:48 - Jan 26 with 2011 viewsvanmunt

Currently 2nd on the form table of last 6 games, if we can stay there or there about we should be good for playoffs.
Playoff position finish on 13:49 - Jan 26 with 2009 viewsBluroo

12 wins from 18 needed.
It was 16 from 23 when K Mac began.
Odds have improved.
Playoff position finish on 16:41 - Jan 26 with 1782 viewsHighgateBlue

Playoff position finish on 12:33 - Jan 26 by Pinewoodblue

I know, I know. And I was one of them who was calling for it at that stage. But then, (a) a stopped clock is right twice a day and all that, and (b) I probably wouldn't have unearthed a bright young thing.

The joys of being an armchair fan, and as it happens, I've had a rather nice new armchair delivered today :)
Playoff position finish on 16:48 - Jan 26 with 1739 viewsjayessess

Playoff position finish on 12:33 - Jan 26 by Pinewoodblue

If he'd gone 5 games earlier I think it would've been a much more unpopular decision with fans and players. Follow that up playing 6 games against top 6 opposition and we could've been in a very dark place by January.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Playoff position finish on 16:49 - Jan 26 with 1735 viewsOldsmoker

I see you're a stats nut like me.
Remember that it's the hope that kills yer.
I've done all tbe permutations.
I spend hours on Predictor sites
https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/
and up till now I've only seen 6th when I've favoured Town over common sense.
Some recent results have suggested that 6th is possible now but we'll have to beat every side below us and get at least a draw from those above us.
COYB.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Playoff position finish on 16:51 - Jan 26 with 1725 viewsblue62

Current form and that is possible, but there will be slip ups.

First hurdle is to make up the points on 6th place and then make sure we are one point better than the team in 7th.

Sounds easy!
Playoff position finish on 16:54 - Jan 26 with 1715 viewsN2_Blue

Playoff position finish on 13:49 - Jan 26 by Bluroo

12 wins from 18 needed.
It was 16 from 23 when K Mac began.
Odds have improved.

Don't think we'll need 12 wins.

We are going to draw a few, i think 10 or 11 wins may be enough. I also think 74/75 points will be enough for 6th

Points total for 6th has been:

2020/21 - 74
2018/19 - 73
2017/18 - 71
2016/17 - 73
2015/16 - 74
2014/15 - 69
2013/14 - 74
2012/13 - 74
2011/12 - 73
2010/11 - 71

However it should be noted that it was 80 points in 09/10

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Playoff position finish on 16:59 - Jan 26 with 1690 viewsjayessess

Playoff position finish on 16:49 - Jan 26 by Oldsmoker

I see you're a stats nut like me.
Remember that it's the hope that kills yer.
I've done all tbe permutations.
I spend hours on Predictor sites
https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/
and up till now I've only seen 6th when I've favoured Town over common sense.
Some recent results have suggested that 6th is possible now but we'll have to beat every side below us and get at least a draw from those above us.
COYB.

The stats modelling people who run all the permutations have us at a 25% chance of making the play-offs.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/league-one/

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Playoff position finish on 17:06 - Jan 26 with 1662 viewsBluroo

Playoff position finish on 16:54 - Jan 26 by N2_Blue

Don't think we'll need 12 wins.

We are going to draw a few, i think 10 or 11 wins may be enough. I also think 74/75 points will be enough for 6th

Points total for 6th has been:

2020/21 - 74
2018/19 - 73
2017/18 - 71
2016/17 - 73
2015/16 - 74
2014/15 - 69
2013/14 - 74
2012/13 - 74
2011/12 - 73
2010/11 - 71

However it should be noted that it was 80 points in 09/10

Obviously not if we draw some games!!!
But for simplicity's sake, we need 12 wins from 18 which means we can lose 6.
As I said before, we needed 16 when K Macs reign began.
It's going well so far. We've halved the gap in 5 games.
Amusing to think only a month ago, many fans were describing the notion as "delusional"!

* Is it possible to quote just part of someone's post on here?
Playoff position finish on 17:08 - Jan 26 with 1650 viewsN2_Blue

Playoff position finish on 16:59 - Jan 26 by jayessess

The stats modelling people who run all the permutations have us at a 25% chance of making the play-offs.

their modelling is predicting 77 points for 6th - hope it's not that many
I wonder what our playoff percentage was 5 games ago? less then 5% i imagine.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 18:08]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Playoff position finish on 17:17 - Jan 26 with 1605 viewsclive_baker

What I do find encouraging is that unlike most sides that would be 8th at this time of the season, and perhaps scraping 6th on the final day, I think IF we made the playoffs we would have a very decent shot of winning them. Not only would we be going into them in good form (by definition, otherwise we're not making them), but with the squad we've got and quality around the place you would fancy us against anyone.

It's definitely possible to get in there. To the doubters you would say which of the 18 games we've got left can't we win? In isolation, the answer surely is none of them. Moreover I would say we'll probably go into 12 or 13 of them as favourites with the bookies. Win those alone and lose the rest and that'll probably be enough. Although the cynics might point to the fact that while there are green shoots since KM has arrived, we're far from the finished article. We've ridden our luck a touch and the loss to Bolton was sobering. We need a statement win against a good side, Wycombe was more huff and puff and arguably came too soon for KM, and Gillingham were absolute turd. If we're sat at 5pm Saturday night after a good win at Hillsborough then that would surely have even the more cautious fans excited.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Playoff position finish on 17:18 - Jan 26 with 1594 viewsOldsmoker

Playoff position finish on 16:59 - Jan 26 by jayessess

They're bound to get that when they choose common sense over my Town bias.
There's always one team that comes good in the 2nd half of the season and this year that's us.

#strawclutching

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Playoff position finish on 18:21 - Jan 26 with 1444 viewstextbackup

Playoff position finish on 17:17 - Jan 26 by clive_baker

What I do find encouraging is that unlike most sides that would be 8th at this time of the season, and perhaps scraping 6th on the final day, I think IF we made the playoffs we would have a very decent shot of winning them. Not only would we be going into them in good form (by definition, otherwise we're not making them), but with the squad we've got and quality around the place you would fancy us against anyone.

It's definitely possible to get in there. To the doubters you would say which of the 18 games we've got left can't we win? In isolation, the answer surely is none of them. Moreover I would say we'll probably go into 12 or 13 of them as favourites with the bookies. Win those alone and lose the rest and that'll probably be enough. Although the cynics might point to the fact that while there are green shoots since KM has arrived, we're far from the finished article. We've ridden our luck a touch and the loss to Bolton was sobering. We need a statement win against a good side, Wycombe was more huff and puff and arguably came too soon for KM, and Gillingham were absolute turd. If we're sat at 5pm Saturday night after a good win at Hillsborough then that would surely have even the more cautious fans excited.

there isnt a team in this league that is the finished article, such an inconsistent bunch of teams, and the reason they are in league 1.....

the art to getting out of it is by being a team that finds a way to just win, and the last couple really have been just that, which sort of excites me! sheffield weds dont both me in the slightest, you know when you go to places like that an early goal against them and their fans get restless, and i can feel a win saturday

Playoff position finish on 18:43 - Jan 26 with 1395 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Think it's a big ask.... its been a great start under Kenny but some serious runs needed to make 76 but that it was promotion winning teams do.

The upside is any other year 76 sees you in the playoffs with room to spare and this year it feels like there are more teams than ever who can take points of each other. It could be as little as 70 which feels rather more achievable even if it is only 6 points.

Get past SW and things will look much rosier in the garden

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Playoff position finish on 22:05 - Jan 26 with 1116 viewsWestover

Playoff position finish on 16:48 - Jan 26 by jayessess

If he'd gone 5 games earlier I think it would've been a much more unpopular decision with fans and players. Follow that up playing 6 games against top 6 opposition and we could've been in a very dark place by January.

Had he gone 5 games earlier would we had got KMc what was the Man I situation at that time I wonder ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024