Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlton under Jackson 04:09 - Dec 8 with 1225 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

As dreadful as we were, I couldn’t help but be very impressed by Charlton.

What I liked most about them is the way that to a man, they were showing for the ball. They played like a team in form and the individual movement from the wing backs to striker to get in the game and create something was too much for our lot. It’s one thing doing what Morsy and Evans do in showing for it only to give it instantaneously back to Edmundsen or Nsiala but the Charlton midfielders (particularly Gilbey who was my MOTM) were getting the ball and looking to create, looking to drive forward or spread it wide.

For pure creativity alone, we can learn a lot from them as they created plenty of chances through simple passing into space and movement from players off the ball. We’ve only really got Chaplin and Celina who link up that huge gap between Evans/Morsy and Bonne. Whereas the Charlton midfielders weren’t allowing that huge space by moving up the pitch with the ball and being hungry for it. The second goal pretty much encapsulated the entire game for me. Simple football from Charlton, excellent movement from Gilbey to link up with the strikers and get himself in the game, excellent hunger to win the ball and keep it and then a good finish.

I did see earlier tonight UnstableBlue suggested Charlton were sh*t and whilst it was clear he was just very very angry about things and his judgement was swayed, I personally think Charlton were arguably the best team we have played this season. Yes we made them look better being how poor we were and they’re not as good footballing wise as a Rotherham perhaps but they do the basics very very well and when you combine that with a clear playing style (the aforementioned simple football and consistent movement through the team) and then having that desire and hunger that we lacked and I found myself annoyingly quite impressed. Wouldn’t at all surprise me if they have a run and end up as that team that challenges late every year to nick a playoff spot.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Charlton under Jackson on 07:26 - Dec 8 with 1037 viewsBloomBlue

Charlton played to Washington's strength, he's always been a physical player a bit of a battering ram. Most teams who get promoted from L1 have a physical No9. He just kept pestering the defence, roughing them up it was a really simple approach and it worked.
Charlton under Jackson on 07:28 - Dec 8 with 1030 viewsBlueAllOver

Agreed to me they were up there with Rotherham for being the best team we have played this season, Don't believe the result would have been any different if PC had still been in charge.

Change of Manager certainly helped them, look like they could come through to get a play off place.
Charlton under Jackson on 07:31 - Dec 8 with 1016 viewsHerbivore

Thought there was nothing in the game for the first 20 minutes, we weren't playing great but we were doing okay and Charlton hadn't really got anything going. Once they scored (and it was a poor goal from our point of view) they started played with confidence and we lost what little confidence we'd had. They knocked it around well, won every second ball, lots of movement off the ball, players showing and backing up, using the ball quickly. It was everything we are not and haven't been for a long time. I think too many players in key areas here aren't hungry enough, that's what it looks like to me. The midfield in particular is embarrassing at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Charlton under Jackson on 07:58 - Dec 8 with 964 viewsSharkey

Alex Gilbey has the most bizarrely long Wikipedia entry ever.
Charlton under Jackson on 08:22 - Dec 8 with 917 viewsDubtractor

I'm surprised to see a few on here saying Charlton were rubbish. They looked a well drilled team playing with a lot if confidence.

That's not to ignore that we were absolute tosh though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Charlton under Jackson on 08:55 - Dec 8 with 854 viewsSwansea_Blue

One of the best posts on the board in the last 12 hours.

They were 22nd when Jackson took over, after only 2 wins in their first 13 games under Adkins. Since then they've won 5 of their last 8 in the league, only losing once, cruised through the first 2 rounds of the FA Cup and seen off Villa U23s in the trophy.

It's quite a turnaround, and you can see why. They were pretty good. If you look at the table since Jackson came in they've been nearly twice as good as us - https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/daterange/fromdate:2 It's the sort of form we needed to be showing to stand any change of catching up with the top 6, but could never manage.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Charlton under Jackson on 09:20 - Dec 8 with 795 viewsitfcjoe

Yep - they were better organised with proper patterns of play but also much sharper than us all over the pitch.

Was a perfect performance in reality from them - edgy first 20 mins that they saw off, then grew in confidence then kept twisting the kinife

Who is our Johnnie Jackson? Because if someone can turn them round that well, then someone can do the same to us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Charlton under Jackson on 09:24 - Dec 8 with 765 views2-5-7

Charlton under Jackson on 09:20 - Dec 8 by itfcjoe

Yep - they were better organised with proper patterns of play but also much sharper than us all over the pitch.

Was a perfect performance in reality from them - edgy first 20 mins that they saw off, then grew in confidence then kept twisting the kinife

Who is our Johnnie Jackson? Because if someone can turn them round that well, then someone can do the same to us

Charlton bench was animated and up for it also.
Ipswich bench once again so passive.
That has to be addressed.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlton under Jackson on 09:24 - Dec 8 with 762 viewsclive_baker

I don't think they're in the same league as Rotherham who absolutely schooled us on our own patch, but they're a decent side who know their strenghts and limitations. Washington and Stockley are dangerous, and I thought Lee was excellent too. We completely lost the midfield battle, and asked nothing of them. Our worst performance of the season I would say, and it has some competition.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Charlton under Jackson on 09:36 - Dec 8 with 724 viewsDJR

Along with MK Dons, I think they were the best footballing side we have played this season. This is how I want us to play but I am not sure our players are good enough. All season there have been too many misplaced passes, which suggests to me that many of our team can't do the basics well. I suppose it doesn't help that there is little movement off the ball, and that we don't seem to have been coached to be a passing and movement team.
Charlton under Jackson on 10:52 - Dec 8 with 604 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Charlton under Jackson on 09:24 - Dec 8 by clive_baker

I don't think they're in the same league as Rotherham who absolutely schooled us on our own patch, but they're a decent side who know their strenghts and limitations. Washington and Stockley are dangerous, and I thought Lee was excellent too. We completely lost the midfield battle, and asked nothing of them. Our worst performance of the season I would say, and it has some competition.

I’d say it was the worst performance since we were relegated to league 1. Partly due to Charlton being so well drilled but mostly because the players look like they couldn’t be arsed. The lack of ambition to attack, the lack of idea as to what to do to create chances and the lack of self belief to win the individual battles meant we were comfortably outplayed. An awful performance.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024