Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, did relegation save our club? 14:40 - Aug 5 with 3847 viewschfsittingbell

We've seen it numerous times. Supporters saying "getting relegated would be the best thing for us!. We can get rid of the deadwood, start again and come back stronger."

Unfortunately, our relegation didn't trigger the new dawn that was so craved. The mediocrity and lack of desire to win stayed. The lack of standards within the club were clear to see. Players and staff who were going through the motions, the dirty and unwelcoming stadium. The lack of investment both on and off the pitch, excuses at the ready from those at the top but never a tangible and realistic plan to reestablish ourselves and move forward.

In my opinion its probably the best thing that could of happened to us. If the regime had of done a half decent job and not let the club decline we would not have been such an attractive proposition for the new set up. The very reasons we had become so disillusioned with Ipswich Town Football Club was what made us so attractive to others. A couple of months in and we're already seeing standards being set. Obviously Rome wasn't built in a day but its clear to see those now in charge have a desire to succeed and are not scared to put the hard work in along with the cash. I expect a lot of clubs around the country are envious of our new ownership and board. Passion, decency, a commitment to the community along with a big wallet, what else could we ask for?

So i will nod my head in recognition of Marcus Evans, Paul Hurst, Paul Lambert (and many others) who without their inadequacy's and failures we would not now be on the cusp of an exciting new era in our clubs history. Its not going to be easy and a lot of hard work is needed. However we now have people at the club who not only will but WANT to put that work in.

So, did relegation save our club? In my opinion......... Yes it did!

COYB!
So, did relegation save our club? on 14:45 - Aug 5 with 3203 viewsSteve_M

Or, alternately, a stable Championship club would have been an attractive prospect for a potential buyer too. And we wouldn't be losing players like Downes, Dozzell and Gibbs as cheaply as we are.

Given where we were at the start of this year then the takeover, welcome as it is, became necessary as the club was moribund under Evans. It didn't need to get to that stage for Evans to get a small amount of money back though and there really shouldn't be much sugar-coating of the last three seasons.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:47 - Aug 5 with 3183 viewschicoazul

Why does so much of TWTD regard failure as a form of success.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:50 - Aug 5 with 3153 viewsKeno

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:47 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

because most posters are losers?

Obviously not you

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:54 - Aug 5 with 3129 viewschfsittingbell

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:45 - Aug 5 by Steve_M

Or, alternately, a stable Championship club would have been an attractive prospect for a potential buyer too. And we wouldn't be losing players like Downes, Dozzell and Gibbs as cheaply as we are.

Given where we were at the start of this year then the takeover, welcome as it is, became necessary as the club was moribund under Evans. It didn't need to get to that stage for Evans to get a small amount of money back though and there really shouldn't be much sugar-coating of the last three seasons.

Exactly my point. Even before relegation the club had stagnated and accepted its place. Without the disaster of the last few seasons we would still be in limbo. Not good enough to trouble the top of the championship, playing with no real desire or commitment to anything. Under our new setup, there does not need to be a ceiling to what we can achieve over time. Proper people who have ambition and the knowledge to back it up. Its a long and massive path, but at least it's a path that we wouldn't be on without the incompetence of so many.
So, did relegation save our club? on 14:58 - Aug 5 with 3085 viewschfsittingbell

Why not offer your thoughts and opinion? Surely that would be more insightful....
So, did relegation save our club? on 14:58 - Aug 5 with 3099 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm not sure the club would have been as attractive a prospect to Gamechanger in the Championship as presumably the price would have been a fair bit more. Think we fell to a level where we're a relative bargain compared to similar clubs in the Championship. Also wonder whether Marcus would have sold.
So, did relegation save our club? on 15:09 - Aug 5 with 3007 viewsOsborneOneNil

Apparently buying a (big) L1 club is, currently, a far better option that Champ clubs. Better value, similar ceilings, and the financial rules in Champ hinder buyers.

So I've read.

Also, we had no chance of being a stable Championship club with that joke of a set up of the last 10 years+.

So yeah, maybe for once, we had had a slice of good fortune with what has happened and yes, relegation has possibly saved our club.
So, did relegation save our club? on 15:58 - Aug 5 with 2831 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why do ALL TWTD posters make such sweeping generalisations?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:13 - Aug 5 with 2776 viewsKropotkin123

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:58 - Aug 5 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure the club would have been as attractive a prospect to Gamechanger in the Championship as presumably the price would have been a fair bit more. Think we fell to a level where we're a relative bargain compared to similar clubs in the Championship. Also wonder whether Marcus would have sold.

Yeah, was going to post pretty much the same thing

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:18 - Aug 5 with 2751 viewsKropotkin123

They didn't say failure was success. They said the consequence of our failures is something more positive.

Time will tell of course.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 16:19]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:21 - Aug 5 with 2727 viewsStu_Magoo

So, did relegation save our club? on 14:58 - Aug 5 by PhilTWTD

Good point, he'd have thought "if we have a good season this time around, we might just sneak into the Prem"

As they say, it's the hope that kills you.
So, did relegation save our club? on 16:23 - Aug 5 with 2708 viewsChurchman

It’s an interesting question. The thing about relegation is that a lower level of competition can give a club a chance to reset itself. There are plenty of examples of that.

In a round about sort of way that’s happening with us. However it’s happening by the good fortune of some people wrestling it off the black widow Evans. A couple of years more having the life drained out of it by him and that would have been it. End of club.

I’d much rather have had the club bought out in the Championship and I suspect that would have happened regardless, given how Evans lost interest in it after a year or two. There’s so much to do now. Also, that would have meant avoiding blind man looking for a light switch Hurst and that abject bag of gas Lambert and years of toilet football.

Bring on the future. I like what I’m hearing from the current owners and have faith (blind desperation?) they can turn it into reality.

So no, I don’t think relegation saved our club.
So, did relegation save our club? on 16:25 - Aug 5 with 2696 viewsBlueBadger

Not really. It's put us back five years, at least.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:26 - Aug 5 with 2701 viewsRadlett_blue

Indeed. Town have been in decline for 6 years, as Evans's wage bill gradually became relatively smaller, but made worse by the appointment of 2 incompetent managers.
All we can hope that the new owners & Cook can get the club back into the 2nd tier soon. Then, we will be back where we were 4 years ago. Making a realistic assault on promotion to the PL will require much deeper pockets.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:26 - Aug 5 with 2689 viewsBlueBadger

Fancy that, arch Free Beers and Improved Football fanboy The Realist thinks that getting relegated and then marooned in the third division wasn't a massive failure.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:43 - Aug 5 with 2626 viewstextbackup

weird one isn't it, and I guess "save" will only be proved the right word if in 3/4/5 years we are back in championship, pressing for a playoff spot regularly.

very much doubt the yanks would have looked at us if we were sitting 13-17th in the championship year on year, price too high, and evans would have plodded along would be my guess.

long term going down "might" end up being the thing that helped us shift a crap owner and flourish, but short term going down is never a good thing, regardless of what I thought it could mean when it actually happened (had visions of us storming L1, lol @ me)
[Post edited 5 Aug 2021 18:44]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:50 - Aug 5 with 2587 viewsOldsmoker

Gamechanger saved our club.
Perhaps if we hadn't been in League 1 they wouldn't have.
I'm so pleased that football people bought the club and not someone who just had loads of cash like Marcus. I'm also thinking of the asian family that bought Bristol Rovers and had grandiose plans, but all those plans have been shelved as reality kicked in.
I also agree that with those who say a ball hasn't been kicked yet and we should wait and see.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:56 - Aug 5 with 2558 views3_5_2

I never thought leaving the Championship was good for us. It would have been better to rebuild from there but here we are.

We must get out of this league this or next season at worst surely?

It is not going to be as easy as some think and it seems some of our fans just never learn

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

So, did relegation save our club? on 18:08 - Aug 5 with 2372 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Has relegation saved our club? As we sit here today, I would say no. We are at our lowest ebb in over 50 years. Yes we have new owners who are saying all the right things and appear to be backing this up with their actions, but it remains to be seen whether this will translate into success on the pitch. The fact remains that we are in the third tier.

Will I be saying something different in 5 years time? Quite possibly. There is no reason why we cannot get back to being an upwardly mobile Championship club - where we were when Evans took over - but with owners who are prepared to invest to push us to the next level

Poll: Our final position

So, did relegation save our club? on 18:22 - Aug 5 with 2342 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

So, did relegation save our club? on 16:26 - Aug 5 by Radlett_blue

Indeed. Town have been in decline for 6 years, as Evans's wage bill gradually became relatively smaller, but made worse by the appointment of 2 incompetent managers.
All we can hope that the new owners & Cook can get the club back into the 2nd tier soon. Then, we will be back where we were 4 years ago. Making a realistic assault on promotion to the PL will require much deeper pockets.

We've been in decline for 20 years.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

So, did relegation save our club? on 18:27 - Aug 5 with 2336 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Yep. Many were calling it a disaster and I got pelters for suggesting otherwise. Even sensible posters like Somethingblue.

Still a long way to go, but clearly we have a chance now that we wouldn't have had plodding along (at best) under Evans.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

So, did relegation save our club? on 18:37 - Aug 5 with 2308 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Lambert and each player ought to have been kicked out of the club following the relegation instead of continuing to leech off the club in League One. No fight, no drive, no desire, but ... they have been clapped and cheered by SBR.

So keeping all of them after the relegation only compounded the general situation. Easy payday at Ipswich, no pressure so what's not to like?
No, we are in the 3rd Division..... on 18:45 - Aug 5 with 2286 viewsBloots

....it's as if our fans have forgotten that.

We are still in the 3rd Division.

The last two years have been dreadful and despite all the "razzmatazz" getting promoted this year is by no means certain.

There is a sense of optimism right now, but it's just optimism and nothing more. Now isn't the time to think we have achieved anything.

AKA - "Elite Pete"

So, did relegation save our club? on 19:20 - Aug 5 with 2212 viewsvanmunt

My thoughts that in a way it probably benefited Town due to covid, the losses in the championship seem exponentially higher than league 1.
No, we are in the 3rd Division..... on 19:26 - Aug 5 with 2194 viewstextbackup

No, we are in the 3rd Division..... on 18:45 - Aug 5 by Bloots

....it's as if our fans have forgotten that.

The last two years have been dreadful and despite all the "razzmatazz" getting promoted this year is by no means certain.

There is a sense of optimism right now, but it's just optimism and nothing more. Now isn't the time to think we have achieved anything.

i might sound a prick here, but even going up from L1 wont massively excite me. (unless of course its 3/4/5-0 wins weekly)
until we become a team pushing for more than boring mid/lower champ finishes ill probably remain the same in that regard

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024