Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... 09:33 - Jun 1 with 5892 viewsBloots

....people that can't pronounce the word "ask/asked".

Highlighted by Darren Bent on TalkSport this morning.

When did "Arks" and "Arksed" become commonplace?

He's not even "youth".

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:16 - Jun 1 with 1246 viewsfactual_blue

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:14 - Jun 1 by footers

I expected better from you than this cheap tap-in.

And anyway, she's on fries.

As Gary Lineker would say, it may be a tap-in, but it's still a goal.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:20 - Jun 1 with 1241 viewsEwan_Oozami

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by clive_baker

My guess is it must be hard for Caribbeans to pronounce 'ask', with their accent. So I guess some of those UK born of Caribbean descent that grew up around that pronunciation (parents / grandparents etc) probably just learnt that as the way to say it.

I might start using it.

I was born in Tooting and lived there till 14, and "aksed" was definitely being used in the 60s by first-generation afro-caribbeans..

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 10:22 - Jun 1 with 1235 viewsfactual_blue

My pet peeve is people pointlessly baiting others... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by Kropotkin123

The English language hardly helps with pronunciation. 20 vowel sounds represented by 5 vowels + y, and they don't even bother to stick to their lanes.

Consonants hardly perform better. X = KS. C pointlessly takes the place of S or K, unless it is followed by an H.

Some words are just simply spelt wrong in the dictionary - Phoenix. No one can convince me that is correct.

And then we are supposed to blame the kids for giving up on trying, when their schools are underfunded.

But it's okay, we've elected another Etonian, as he just gets it. Says it like it is. A man of the people.

So, I guess my pet peeve is people having pet peeves about consequences and not causes.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 10:55]

As George Bernard Shaw pointed out, you can spell fish as 'ghoti'

gh, pronounced as in tough;
o, pronounced as in women; and
ti, pronounced as in nation.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:24 - Jun 1 with 1232 viewsIllinoisblue

Boiling my piss lately:

Videos on YouTube being described as “rare footage”

Parents who send their kid to football practice without a ball or a water bottle

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:24 - Jun 1 with 1226 viewsBeckets

Repetitive use of lol in forum posts....
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:24 - Jun 1 with 1228 viewsVic

H pronounced Haych. Not a new thing, but always annoys me. What is wrong with people, it’s not even an accent things, it’s just wrong!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:33 - Jun 1 with 1207 viewsLesta_Tractor

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:42 - Jun 1 by chicoazul

Could of

Off of

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:51 - Jun 1 with 1181 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:24 - Jun 1 by Vic

H pronounced Haych. Not a new thing, but always annoys me. What is wrong with people, it’s not even an accent things, it’s just wrong!

And, ironically, a large proportion of people working in, or with, HR are culprits.

Also, to avoid permanent teeth-grinding, never watch TV gameshows that require contestants to spell things out, e.g. Lingo - only about 1 in 20 contestants correctly say "aitch" and poor Adil Ray cannot decide for himself, when also deluged with "haitches".

Rant over.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Login to get fewer ads

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:53 - Jun 1 with 1172 viewshoppy

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 09:55 - Jun 1 by footers

While we're on it, I've a new girl in my team who, like, says like, you know, like every other, like, word and it's, like, well annoying.

Is she any good at summarising commentaries?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:54 - Jun 1 with 1167 viewsMattinLondon

People who use ASAP as an actual word.
I remember a story, although..... on 11:13 - Jun 1 with 1144 viewsBloots

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:24 - Jun 1 by Beckets

Repetitive use of lol in forum posts....

....it may be an urban myth, about an old girl that assumed LOL meant "Lots of Love".

As a result she sent a text to a family member, consoling them on a recent death, by typing something like:

"He will be sorely missed by us all, LOL"

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 11:14 - Jun 1 with 1140 viewsKeno

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 10:54 - Jun 1 by MattinLondon

People who use ASAP as an actual word.

That needs to be stopped ASAP. Lol

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Oh, and another one..... on 11:18 - Jun 1 with 1131 viewsBloots

....people posting "selfies" on social media.

When they aren't "selfies", they are photos!

"Here's a selfie of me where I'm plainly standing about 10 foot away from the phone, so therefore I'm an idiot"

I remember a story, although..... on 11:20 - Jun 1 with 1130 viewsfooters

I remember a story, although..... on 11:13 - Jun 1 by Bloots

....it may be an urban myth, about an old girl that assumed LOL meant "Lots of Love".

As a result she sent a text to a family member, consoling them on a recent death, by typing something like:

"He will be sorely missed by us all, LOL"

That was also Cameron's defence when questioned on his LOLs to Rebekah Brooks.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 11:26 - Jun 1 with 1086 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Absolutely....
Yeah, but what you have to remember is that.... on 11:44 - Jun 1 with 1073 viewsBloots

I remember a story, although..... on 11:20 - Jun 1 by footers

That was also Cameron's defence when questioned on his LOLs to Rebekah Brooks.

....he's a witless dong spasm of an individual.

Uppie for the sentiment and inventive diss. on 11:47 - Jun 1 with 1070 viewsfooters

Yeah, but what you have to remember is that.... on 11:44 - Jun 1 by Bloots

....he's a witless dong spasm of an individual.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 11:53 - Jun 1 with 1049 viewsJ2BLUE

lol someone needs to ark Phil to like, literally, lock this thread, like ASAP lol

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 11:58 - Jun 1 with 1022 viewsBeckets

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 11:53 - Jun 1 by J2BLUE

lol someone needs to ark Phil to like, literally, lock this thread, like ASAP lol

lol
Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 11:59 - Jun 1 with 1023 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Only eejts, perverts and deviants on 09:47 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

But you're not an eejit.

..or a deviant...

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:03 - Jun 1 with 1008 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

People who want to "reach out" in emails.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:16 - Jun 1 with 983 viewsvilanovablue

People who don't understand the use of did and done is something which drives me nuts.
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:18 - Jun 1 with 977 viewsBluespeed225

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:03 - Jun 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

People who want to "reach out" in emails.

We have a winner! ‘Reach out’ has seeped into the mainstream only in the last 2 years. Used to hear it on US shows a few years back, but unless your Levi’s Stubbs, it’s a diabolical phrase. If you say ‘my bad’ you should be executed on the spot.
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:21 - Jun 1 with 960 viewsBeckets

Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:18 - Jun 1 by Bluespeed225

We have a winner! ‘Reach out’ has seeped into the mainstream only in the last 2 years. Used to hear it on US shows a few years back, but unless your Levi’s Stubbs, it’s a diabolical phrase. If you say ‘my bad’ you should be executed on the spot.

Being super excited.
Middle aged man pet peeves/annoyances..... on 12:23 - Jun 1 with 943 viewslowhouseblue

all use of the phrase "reaching out". urrrgghhhh.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024