Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live 09:45 - May 30 with 5745 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I’ll start - Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Lewandowski & Suarez

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 11:49 - May 31 with 947 viewsRyorry

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 11:34 - May 31 by solemio

I once said on here that I was hoping one day to find a post of yours with which I disagreed.
I've found it.

Brazil : good player, especially one on one with the keeper (as good as Marcus Stewart).
Top five players ever seen? I can think of more than five ITFC players than whom he was not better! Beattie, Mariner, Wark, Crawford, 2 Dutchmen, Mick Mills, Phillips, Butch, Burley, Whymark.

Hah! I assume you saw him live? I think you had to, to really appreciate him - his charges down the field at 90mph from one end to t'other are probably my most indelible football memory, second only to Reuser clinching our promotion in the POF.

He was like a Sherman tank at full tilt - defenders might as well have tried to stop a charging bull as stop him!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 13:48 - May 31 with 893 viewssolemio

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 11:49 - May 31 by Ryorry

Hah! I assume you saw him live? I think you had to, to really appreciate him - his charges down the field at 90mph from one end to t'other are probably my most indelible football memory, second only to Reuser clinching our promotion in the POF.

He was like a Sherman tank at full tilt - defenders might as well have tried to stop a charging bull as stop him!

I saw him live scores and scores of times and he not infrequently scored goals too.

Certainly you'd have always wanted him in your team as Whymark was past his best.

However I stand by my original assessment even though I was there when he scored 5 against Southampton.
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 14:44 - May 31 with 873 viewsParisBlue

Scholes was generally regarded as being one of the best. Such a shame he was to misused for England.

Pele: "If he was playing with me, I would have scored so many more."

Lionel Messi: "At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."

Zinedine Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Cristiano Ronaldo: "Scholes is the best I’ve played with and he helped me a lot when I was young. He’s amazing."

Xavi: "For me, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years."

Thierry Henry: "I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’."

Cesc Fabregas: "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Roy Keane: "An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being."

Pep Guardiola: “Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes — he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.”

Laurent Blanc: "I tell anyone who asks me — Scholes is the best English player."

Dimitar Berbatov: "Nobody else can play the way Paul Scholes does."

David Beckham: “He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.”

Patrick Vieira: "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy — Scholes."

Ronaldinho: “I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?”

Ronaldo (Brazilian): “He’s the phenomenon.”

Bruno Fernandes: "I think Scholes was one of the best midfielders in the world. For England, a lot of people talk about Frank Lampard because he scored a lot of goals of course, one of the best in England too, you have Steven Gerrard too, but I think Scholes is the one who makes more difference than anyone else."

Luis Figo: "I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch, you can’t catch him. Off the pitch, he disappears."

Gary Neville: "I wouldn’t swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best."

Sir Alex Ferguson: "I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He’s got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him. There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere in the world. Paul is irreplaceable."

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 14:57 - May 31 with 866 viewsChurchman

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 14:44 - May 31 by ParisBlue

Scholes was generally regarded as being one of the best. Such a shame he was to misused for England.

Pele: "If he was playing with me, I would have scored so many more."

Lionel Messi: "At La Masia his name was mentioned a lot. He’s a teacher."

Zinedine Zidane: "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Cristiano Ronaldo: "Scholes is the best I’ve played with and he helped me a lot when I was young. He’s amazing."

Xavi: "For me, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years."

Thierry Henry: "I can’t understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t seek the limelight like some of the other ‘stars’."

Cesc Fabregas: "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Roy Keane: "An amazingly gifted player who remained an unaffected human being."

Pep Guardiola: “Out of everyone at Manchester United, I would pick out Scholes — he is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him.”

Laurent Blanc: "I tell anyone who asks me — Scholes is the best English player."

Dimitar Berbatov: "Nobody else can play the way Paul Scholes does."

David Beckham: “He’s always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me ‘what’s he like’? They respect him as a footballer and see him as the ultimate.”

Patrick Vieira: "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy — Scholes."

Ronaldinho: “I want to pass like him. Who taught him how to do that?”

Ronaldo (Brazilian): “He’s the phenomenon.”

Bruno Fernandes: "I think Scholes was one of the best midfielders in the world. For England, a lot of people talk about Frank Lampard because he scored a lot of goals of course, one of the best in England too, you have Steven Gerrard too, but I think Scholes is the one who makes more difference than anyone else."

Luis Figo: "I’m star-struck when I see Paul Scholes because you never see him. On the pitch, you can’t catch him. Off the pitch, he disappears."

Gary Neville: "I wouldn’t swap Paul Scholes for anybody. He is quite simply the most complete footballer I have ever played with. He is the best."

Sir Alex Ferguson: "I think Paul Scholes is the best player in England. He’s got the best skills, the best brain. No one can match him. There isn’t a player of his mould anywhere in the world. Paul is irreplaceable."

Yes, I get all that but the thread is about the best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live. I saw Scholes a few times, but he wasn’t exceptional when I saw him. Same with Cantona and Keane - especially after Titus Bramble booted him. I saw Beckham a few times and he was a far more influential player than he looked on tv.

But there have been many brilliant players, and I managed to see a few, including Moore, Charlton, Law, Souness, Leeds great players, Platini, Bergkamp, Viera, Wright, Gerrard, Muhren.

But when George Best got the ball, people held their breath and those sitting down stood up. You felt and tasted the anticipation. For me, the best footballer I ever saw, bar none. To an extent, the same applied to Henry - and come to that Beattie in his pomp when he collected the ball and went forwards.
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 16:55 - May 31 with 835 viewsgazzer1999

George Best, simply the best by far, Bobby Moore, Johan Cruyff, Mark Lawrenson, Thierry Henry. The Beat, Paul Mariner, Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Arnie and Franz. Can't keep it to just 5.
Special mention for Marcus Stewart.
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 17:06 - May 31 with 831 viewsbazza

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 09:52 - May 30 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

We’re they playing tiddlywinks?
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 17:07 - May 31 with 829 viewsblueconscience

In no particular order.

Christian Vieri,
Paul Scholes,
Thierry Henry,
Cristiano Ronaldo,
Francesco Totti

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 20:05 - May 31 with 795 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 14:06 - May 30 by 26_Paz

I think lamps was hugely under rated. His goal record from midfield is unmatched

Except by John Wark. Who had to play both the Lampard and Makalele roles, as he played in a Midfield three and Muhren didn't tackle and Thijssen tried to but probably shouldn't have. Lampard had Makalele or Essien behind him, both of whom were world class defensive midfielders.
Login to get fewer ads

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 20:42 - May 31 with 785 viewsMelford

This is one of the best ones I've seen live. Glenn Hoddle playing sweeper for Swindon as they spanked us 4-1 at home the same season we went up as champions. He ran the game, you could hear him stood behind the goal in Churchman's shouting to the rest of the team. He just kept pinging these amazing long passes and cross-field balls with such skill.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 20:54 - May 31 with 778 viewsCopfordBlue

Messi, Maldini, Gascoigne, Matthäus, Henry

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 23:04 - May 31 with 750 viewsmidastouch

I'm not going to include any Ipswich players as it would be too easy to include the likes of Gates, Wark and Mühren.

Gascoigne, Gullit, Mølby, Waddle and Hoddle.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 9:10]

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 10:23 - Jun 1 with 710 viewssolemio

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 23:04 - May 31 by midastouch

I'm not going to include any Ipswich players as it would be too easy to include the likes of Gates, Wark and Mühren.

Gascoigne, Gullit, Mølby, Waddle and Hoddle.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 9:10]

You only chose the last two because of your poetic tendencies.
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 10:42 - Jun 1 with 706 viewsclive_baker

Just putting him out there as I've not seen him mentioned yet, I saw Cavani in his prime for PSG and I've never seen anything like it. His movement was absolutely frightening.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 10:49 - Jun 1 with 702 viewsCaptMickMills

Beattie, Waddle, Mariner, Butcher, Grealish

based on performances that I saw live

Best individual performance - Dalian Atkinson
[Post edited 1 Jun 2021 10:51]
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 12:25 - Jun 1 with 675 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Too many to pick just 5, but Glenn Hoddle gave a master class at PR when he was player/manager of Swindon. Made everything look so simple.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 12:28 - Jun 1 with 674 viewsEpiphone

George Best
Johan Cruyff
Kevin Beattie
Frans Thijssen
David Beckham
Best 5 footballers you’ve seen play live on 14:23 - Jun 1 with 651 viewsRyorry

Some people have been very lucky in who they've seen play live!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024