Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go 20:41 - Apr 13 with 3783 viewsOjc

We need a clean break, anything tied to old era needs to be washed away in every capacity.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:07 - Apr 13 with 1525 viewsBryanPlug

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 21:59 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

It sounds like people have made up their minds and are looking to justify it.

Pluggers has downvoted a fact he could easily verify because he's made his mind up.

We do take few risks but we've conceded an average of one goal per game. In this division with our superior resources we really should be scoring plenty and getting promoted.

Yes we may lose a little of that solidity but is Chambers the weak leak of our defence? He's playing out of position much of the time. I just don't see that he's the issue.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:13 - Apr 13 with 1508 viewsStewart27

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 20:44 - Apr 13 by BlueBadger

He's about the only one of this set of players bar Downes, still able to show some motivation.

The fist pump days are long gone.

He’s shown zero leadership this season. His ability went years ago. His motivational skills have also gone.

Like the rest of the losers.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:14 - Apr 13 with 1499 viewschrismakin

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:07 - Apr 13 by BryanPlug

TBF J2 has a point

Now despite me wanting chambers gone, it's not based on footballing ability and this is where J2 is coming from and rightly so people are allowed that opinion and it makes sense considering this is football and that's what Chambers is paid to do

He is currently part of the defence that has been relatively solid. IF Cook feels that Chambers does not have a negative role behind the scenes, then it would make sense on a footballing level to offer him another years contract.

BUT, and yes I say this without any actual proof. I feel Chambers is a problem, but that's a feeling of mine without any level of evidence to show why.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:14 - Apr 13 with 1496 viewsJ2BLUE

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:07 - Apr 13 by BryanPlug

Your post is emotional. Mine is factual. Not claiming he's a world beater but he's an asset in league one IMO.

Cook will decide soon enough. If he lets him go I can't say i'll be devastated but I think he will see it the way I do.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:15 - Apr 13 with 1496 viewsDubtractor

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 21:59 - Apr 13 by J2BLUE

Pluggers has downvoted a fact he could easily verify because he's made his mind up.

We do take few risks but we've conceded an average of one goal per game. In this division with our superior resources we really should be scoring plenty and getting promoted.

Yes we may lose a little of that solidity but is Chambers the weak leak of our defence? He's playing out of position much of the time. I just don't see that he's the issue.

I've not made my mind up, I'm indifferent towards Chambers staying or leaving, though as a captain he has not really stepped up to the plate this season.

I'm just stating that there is a strong link between us having a good defence and a p1ss poor attacking record. We never overload teams, we never put teams under the cosh for sustained periods, we rarely see full backs bombing past the midfield on overlaps to the byline.

We're just unbelievably solid. Stodgy. Dull. Really fooking dull.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:16 - Apr 13 with 1494 viewstown4life

Chambers has been present at the club for a long time and the only thing that has happened during his time has been the demise of ITFC, the same can be said about Cole Skuse..

Its time for pastures new, hes also 36 next season so if he gets us promoted to the championship we would need to replace him anyway..

Time to move on..
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:17 - Apr 13 with 1491 viewswkj

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 20:44 - Apr 13 by BlueBadger

He's about the only one of this set of players bar Downes, still able to show some motivation.

Be that as it may, he physically can't handle more than 90 minutes of football in a 7 day period. If you can't keep yourself sharp, you can't keep your team sharp. If he does stay next season it needs to either be in a player/coach role or as a backup - the captaincy with him ends this season though.

(Edit - Talking about Chambers, not Downes)
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 8:28]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:20 - Apr 13 with 1471 viewsJ2BLUE

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:15 - Apr 13 by Dubtractor

I've not made my mind up, I'm indifferent towards Chambers staying or leaving, though as a captain he has not really stepped up to the plate this season.

I'm just stating that there is a strong link between us having a good defence and a p1ss poor attacking record. We never overload teams, we never put teams under the cosh for sustained periods, we rarely see full backs bombing past the midfield on overlaps to the byline.

We're just unbelievably solid. Stodgy. Dull. Really fooking dull.

Yea I can see what you're saying.

Dull is spot on. I might market £10 passes to watch grey paint dry to our fans.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:32 - Apr 13 with 1450 viewsWicklowBlue

IMHO Chambers has been a great servant for the club for years and years we cannot deny that. He was part of the 14-15 team that nearly got us up apart from ME not investing at a crucial time. Chambo got the fans involved during that stage with his fist pump celebrations which we all soaked up at the time.

His best position for me is at CB but how many games was he playing at RB which really doesn't suit his game and is an indictment on our recruitment. I also agree as a captain over the past 2 seasons we haven't seen him bring the team on the pitch together and push forward. Equally like all of us supporters maybe he is just knackered/fed up being the one player trying to get a reaction.

Next season, let's be realistic, we will bring in more players and no doubt Chambo and the captain's armband will change, give it to Downes or a new midfielder. That will take pressure off him and I still think he has a part to play at CB in L1, but following the takeover I feel this will be a backup role and quite right.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 23:05 - Apr 13 with 1414 viewsEireannach_gorm

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:32 - Apr 13 by WicklowBlue

IMHO Chambers has been a great servant for the club for years and years we cannot deny that. He was part of the 14-15 team that nearly got us up apart from ME not investing at a crucial time. Chambo got the fans involved during that stage with his fist pump celebrations which we all soaked up at the time.

His best position for me is at CB but how many games was he playing at RB which really doesn't suit his game and is an indictment on our recruitment. I also agree as a captain over the past 2 seasons we haven't seen him bring the team on the pitch together and push forward. Equally like all of us supporters maybe he is just knackered/fed up being the one player trying to get a reaction.

Next season, let's be realistic, we will bring in more players and no doubt Chambo and the captain's armband will change, give it to Downes or a new midfielder. That will take pressure off him and I still think he has a part to play at CB in L1, but following the takeover I feel this will be a backup role and quite right.

Good to see a bit of common sense regarding an assessment of Chambers. He is at the end of his career and I think it is criminal that the club has not used him to bring on our young CB's. Does anyone think Wilson or Nsiala would be capable of doing this?

I think I would be a bit disheartened myself if I were beating a dead horse for 3/4 seasons so no wonder his leadership qualities are not exactly shining. I look around the squad and fail to see a future captain also. Downes would not be suitable and may not even be here next season. Obviously the next captain would be new to the club ( which may not be a bad thing ). Maybe we should give it to the top scorer, that would be peak bantz. I see it mentioned elsewhere that Chambers is not shouting at the players but Cook is. Thats going particularly well!

I just think that we should be thoughtful in the impending clear out.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 07:02 - Apr 14 with 1366 views26_Paz

Completely agree. Sometimes in football you need a clear out to keep things fresh, we’re about 4 years overdue that. Just because we bomb them out now it doesn’t mean they are not good people or we are not grateful for their service but if the culture is to change the personnel need to. Ruthless business is football.

The Paz Man

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 07:35 - Apr 14 with 1339 viewshype313

I've got a lot of time and respect for Chambers, he's a good guy and one of, if not, the only vocal players we have.

However, it's no hyperbole to say this club needs a complete root and branch clear out, if Chambo was 29-29 then I'd be minded to keep him, but approaching 36 we need to be ruthless going forward. He will still command a contract somewhere, because he has kept himself in great shape, but we really need to start looking forward now the takeover has taken place.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:30 - Apr 14 with 1305 viewsitfcjoe

It's going to be a big decision for Cook, could go either way and as fans we just have to trust him to get it right.

I think Chambers has done enough on the pitch to earn a new deal for next season, but more likely as a squad player - and I think 3 weeks ago it would have been almost nailed on.

But so much has happened since with performances, and guess we don't know if Cook now sees Chambers as part of the problem, as skipper, or whether he sees LC having the same frustrations as he is having with the rest of the players.

We are now hearing the players have a sh*t mentality, and manager isn't able to do anything about it and it isn't his fault, but on the flip side seeing those same fans thinking the captain should be able to sort the squads mentality out.

A big decision - but one I still think could go either way

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:31 - Apr 14 with 1298 viewssaffers12

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:30 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

It's going to be a big decision for Cook, could go either way and as fans we just have to trust him to get it right.

I think Chambers has done enough on the pitch to earn a new deal for next season, but more likely as a squad player - and I think 3 weeks ago it would have been almost nailed on.

But so much has happened since with performances, and guess we don't know if Cook now sees Chambers as part of the problem, as skipper, or whether he sees LC having the same frustrations as he is having with the rest of the players.

We are now hearing the players have a sh*t mentality, and manager isn't able to do anything about it and it isn't his fault, but on the flip side seeing those same fans thinking the captain should be able to sort the squads mentality out.

Agree with OP, he has to go
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:34 - Apr 14 with 1291 viewswkj

If we are making wholesale changes to the club, we have a new generation of players. Those players must start with a new captain. If Chambers has more fight left in him, great - but I would rather see him deputise the new guard.

This season has had a massive impact on his physicality - you can see it. Look at his matches at the start of the season for reference. Nothing against Chambers, but he's at the end of his career - expecting him to start the new revolution is not a good idea.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:53 - Apr 14 with 1268 viewsmaccyd9

People are massively over estimating what a captain should be like on the pitch whilst totally under estimating what a captain does off the pitch.

Gone are the days when captains lead on the pitch by shouting and swearing. You could go through most of the top teams in the country and not have a clue who the captain is. Too much emphasis is placed on it and it creates a stick to beat someone with. If he was neither captain or did a fist pump after wins (which everybody craved for), then he'd be getting no more stick than anyone else.

What he does off the pitch, in the changing room and on a day to day basis for other squad members and particularly new ones is incredible and that's just as important.

The facts are, he's played more minutes than anyone else, out of position in one of the best defences in the division. He cannot be responsible for the fact we create next to nothing and have scored just one goal a game.

For me, when you have the turnover of player we are likely to have this summer you absolutely have to have someone in that changing room with Ipswich at heart. Someone to help people bed in, help players know what the club is about. Whether people like it or not, he does that.

He's far from the problem and whilst I'm not saying he should be a guaranteed starter, he's well worthy of a 1 year deal to help during what is likely to be a hugely unsettling summer.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:01 - Apr 14 with 1263 viewsParky

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:30 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

FWIW, I don’t think anybody is expecting Chambers to “sort out the squads mentality” as you’re suggesting.

What we can’t hide from is the fact that Chambers has played a big part in instilling said mentality throughout the years, this isn’t something that’s just happened overnight.

Just my opinion of course, which I understand is pretty irrelevant as it’s Cook to make the decision; but if you’re looking for a complete squad overhaul due to underperformance and having a poor mentality within the squad, why would you keep the club captain who has been a part of that?
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 9:02]
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:04 - Apr 14 with 1258 viewsmaccyd9

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:01 - Apr 14 by Parky

FWIW, I don’t think anybody is expecting Chambers to “sort out the squads mentality” as you’re suggesting.

What we can’t hide from is the fact that Chambers has played a big part in instilling said mentality throughout the years, this isn’t something that’s just happened overnight.

Just my opinion of course, which I understand is pretty irrelevant as it’s Cook to make the decision; but if you’re looking for a complete squad overhaul due to underperformance and having a poor mentality within the squad, why would you keep the club captain who has been a part of that?
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 9:02]

Because many will have you believe he's the reason for the mentality. Nobody knows. Maybe he's a reason as to why it's not worse? There is zero evidence to suggest that Chambers has had any negative effect on the sides mentality.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:10 - Apr 14 with 1251 viewsParky

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:04 - Apr 14 by maccyd9

Because many will have you believe he's the reason for the mentality. Nobody knows. Maybe he's a reason as to why it's not worse? There is zero evidence to suggest that Chambers has had any negative effect on the sides mentality.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting Chambers is the sole reason for this poor mentality and if they are, that’s just stupid.

That said, we can’t just ignore that this has been an issue going back for years. - I don’t want to keep repeating myself, but when McGoldrick and Bialkowski both left they mentioned along the lines of “there is no pressure to succeed” . We’ve been through managers since then, we’ve now even got rid of an owner where a lot of this blame has to fall at his door, but IMO we can’t get away from the fact Chambers has also played a part.
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:47 - Apr 14 with 1229 viewsBiGDonnie

Agreed.

I'd literally keep the below and get shot of the rest...
Downes
Dozzer
KVY
Woolf
Bish
Lankester
Dobra
Miz

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 10:11 - Apr 14 with 1215 viewsJ2BLUE

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 08:34 - Apr 14 by wkj

If we are making wholesale changes to the club, we have a new generation of players. Those players must start with a new captain. If Chambers has more fight left in him, great - but I would rather see him deputise the new guard.

This season has had a massive impact on his physicality - you can see it. Look at his matches at the start of the season for reference. Nothing against Chambers, but he's at the end of his career - expecting him to start the new revolution is not a good idea.

I agree with this. I'm absolutely not suggesting he remains as captain and starts every game. He's done enough to get a one year deal as a squad player IMO.

As i've said on other threads I wouldn't lose any sleep if he's let go but think he's worth keeping.

Truly impaired.

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 11:34 - Apr 14 with 1181 viewsitfcjoe

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:04 - Apr 14 by maccyd9

I don't remember Matty Holland balling his team mates out on the pitch as we limped to relegation and at games like Bolton away, before starting the following season losing to all and sundry in the second tier.

I have a lot of love for that team of the Burley era, but that team totally capitulated for an 18 month period with those leaders like Holland, Magilton, Venus, McGreal and the front and centre of it.

But Chambers is seen as needing to be all things to all people, everyone who has played alongside him would say he is a great captain - but this isn't 1980's test cricket, the captain doesn't have any real power

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 12:11 - Apr 14 with 1163 views26_Paz

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 09:47 - Apr 14 by BiGDonnie

Agreed.

I'd literally keep the below and get shot of the rest...
Downes
Dozzer
KVY
Woolf
Bish
Lankester
Dobra
Miz

I wouldn’t keep Dozzell.
Holy and Nsila I would think about.

The Paz Man

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 12:51 - Apr 14 with 1148 viewsmaccyd9

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 11:34 - Apr 14 by itfcjoe

I don't remember Matty Holland balling his team mates out on the pitch as we limped to relegation and at games like Bolton away, before starting the following season losing to all and sundry in the second tier.

I have a lot of love for that team of the Burley era, but that team totally capitulated for an 18 month period with those leaders like Holland, Magilton, Venus, McGreal and the front and centre of it.

But Chambers is seen as needing to be all things to all people, everyone who has played alongside him would say he is a great captain - but this isn't 1980's test cricket, the captain doesn't have any real power

I heard someone on the radio a week or so ago saying Chambers was a terrible captain because you don't see him "telling people where to be". The simplicity of people is astounding sometimes.

I saw a Roy Keane interview the other day and he said he offered up very little by way words to players his role as captain was quite often just making sure the players pool was done and end of season events and nights out.

You want a captain to of course show they care and he clearly does that. If he wasn't captain and had never done a fist pump this wouldn't even be a discussion. He's been far better than Woolfenden and Toto imo
If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 13:14 - Apr 14 with 1123 viewsclive_baker

If we need a fresh start, that means Chambers has to go on 22:14 - Apr 13 by chrismakin

TBF J2 has a point

Now despite me wanting chambers gone, it's not based on footballing ability and this is where J2 is coming from and rightly so people are allowed that opinion and it makes sense considering this is football and that's what Chambers is paid to do

He is currently part of the defence that has been relatively solid. IF Cook feels that Chambers does not have a negative role behind the scenes, then it would make sense on a footballing level to offer him another years contract.

BUT, and yes I say this without any actual proof. I feel Chambers is a problem, but that's a feeling of mine without any level of evidence to show why.

I think there's 2 factors at play with Chambers. Purely in a footballing sense he's been a very reliable player for us. Very rarely makes a mistake and has marshalled a defence that has seen huge amounts of change, both in terms of management and teammates, and now ownership. He's been a mainstay for years, and been shifted out of position with no complaints, playing well enough at right back and reliable centrally. Purely on that basis I think we would all agree he's been, and continues to be a good player for us who justifies their existence in the squad and the team. Taking any emption out of it, or wider context, it's easy enough to make a compelling case that he should be here next season, based solely on his efforts on the pitch.

I don't prescribe to being indebted to footballers loyalty, it's obviously not altruistic and he's paid a good wage and lives in a nice part of the world relatively speaking, but he has stuck by the club when he could've perhaps moved on, and I think he deserves some respect on his name for his efforts.

The issue Chambers has is he's a very obvious target because of how much he takes on outside of all of that. He's taken it upon himself to be so involved, in front of the press, a active and vocal leader and captain, even housing some of the younger lads. Had he kept his head down, never captained us , rarely rolled out in front of press etc I think there would be less appetite to slate him. Skuse & Sears generally keep their head down, earn similar money and largely gets a free ride because there isn't the weight of expectation on them like there is Chambers. It's a little unfair, given I would argue Chambers has done more on the pitch than either of them, especially recently.

The reality is he IS such a big presence though. I think the message it would show to move him on is arguably more valuable than the contribution he'll likely make next season, and there's no room for sentiment here. I would say thank you for your efforts but this is a new dawn, and with that comes massive change. I think his race here is run.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024