Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tips for working from home 12:03 - Mar 18 with 4563 viewsKeno

I guess some of you are new to this so having been someone who has worked form home for a while I thought I'd share some tips and am happy if other posters want to add there own pearls of wisdom

1, Try to have a routine - a start time, a break time, a lunch time and end to day. That helps stop the day become a blur
2, In the office you talk to people so occasionally stop to look in on here (there are other forums available .... apparently), talk to the wife, stroke the dog (or vice versa), It the day go smoother
3, no matter how well intentioned you start the day some days you just won't 'get into it' just accept that and do what you can
4, Be strict in getting done the really important things first, I know some may laugh but a do list helps
5, use the time you would have been commuting to do something useful, if not work they try e learning a language 20 mins a day

feel free to add

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Tips for working from home on 12:06 - Mar 18 with 3884 viewsfooters

"talk to the wife"

Things aren't that bad yet, are they?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Tips for working from home on 12:07 - Mar 18 with 3876 viewsusm

Yo, Keno, hows it hangin dude?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Tips for working from home on 12:07 - Mar 18 with 3877 viewsSwansea_Blue

- Arrange to have a virtual coffee break with colleagues at the same time each day via video (whatsapp, or MS Zoom, facetime, Skype, etc). Can be to discuss work or just check in on each other and make sure everyone's still well/sane.

- Try not to get sucked into spam posting on TWTD.

So on that note, I need to go and get some more stuff done....laters all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tips for working from home on 12:08 - Mar 18 with 3865 viewsGeoffSentence

stock up on tissues and lube

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tips for working from home on 12:12 - Mar 18 with 3836 viewsartsbossbeard

Get out of the house for an hour over lunch - go for a walk, go to the gym, pop to the shop.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Tips for working from home on 12:13 - Mar 18 with 3835 viewsUB9Blue

When I started working from home many years ago I found that I got very little achieved because there were so many distractions....breakfast, gym, tv etc

Once I got the hang of it I used to work five hours solid a day with the odd coffee break and so could get finished around lunchtime. I achieved as much if not more than I had when I was in the office for 8 hours because I was focused and didn't get so many interruptions or last minute calls to go to pointless meetings.

Social interaction was also very important but clearly that is slightly more problematic currently.
Tips for working from home on 12:15 - Mar 18 with 3810 viewsRyorry

Remember if you wear a skirt that you no longer need to put knickers on.

Happy to help xx (no, I don't mean help not put knickers on ...)

Great to see you back Keno

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Tips for working from home on 12:19 - Mar 18 with 3784 viewsfabian_illness

Ive got 3 boiler services, a new thermostat and a non flushing WC still to get to today.
Ive got a screwdriver with a really long handle but can't quite reach from home.
All tips welcome.
Login to get fewer ads

Tips for working from home on 12:26 - Mar 18 with 3749 viewsSWGF

I'd add that (ideally) having a room to work in, separate from the normal rooms you spend time in, so you can distance/distinguish between work and home.
When you finish work, shut down your laptop and close the door until the next day.
PopMaster is 10:30am
Ensure any videoconferencing programs' settings are fixed to start-up with the camera *OFF*.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 12:27]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Tips for working from home on 12:34 - Mar 18 with 3703 viewsclive_baker

Great thread. I'm a seasoned wfh'er although not to this extent, normally a couple of times per week. Tips from me:

1) Set up & infrastructure: Make sure you have a place to work. Not sitting in bed, but whether it be at a desk, the kitchen table, a regular spot helps me. It's my work space outside of work.

2) Discipline. Just because you're closer to your fridge and biscuit cupboard doesn't mean you need to visit them more

3) Fresh air & exercise. You might find yourself doing less steps than normal - make sure you get out when you can. Walk the dog, stroll at lunch, go for a run or cycle. Keep active and get some fresh air into your lungs.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tips for working from home on 12:35 - Mar 18 with 3684 viewshomer_123

Tips for working from home on 12:26 - Mar 18 by SWGF

I'd add that (ideally) having a room to work in, separate from the normal rooms you spend time in, so you can distance/distinguish between work and home.
When you finish work, shut down your laptop and close the door until the next day.
PopMaster is 10:30am
Ensure any videoconferencing programs' settings are fixed to start-up with the camera *OFF*.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2020 12:27]

Sorry, read that first one as 'a room to w*nk in'....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tips for working from home on 13:02 - Mar 18 with 3597 viewsSWGF

Tips for working from home on 12:35 - Mar 18 by homer_123

Sorry, read that first one as 'a room to w*nk in'....

Another perk of WFH

IANAP

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Tips for working from home on 13:47 - Mar 18 with 3502 viewsPendejo

5. Replace the commute with a walk before and after work, thus still a commute. I found it difficult separating person to work time until I used this tactic.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Tips for working from home on 13:50 - Mar 18 with 3491 viewsclive_baker

Tips for working from home on 13:47 - Mar 18 by Pendejo

5. Replace the commute with a walk before and after work, thus still a commute. I found it difficult separating person to work time until I used this tactic.

Nice idea. Commutes are annoying but they do give a clear divide between work and home. I find the optimum something like 30 minutes, listen to some tunes, catch up on the news etc. Then when you walk through your door you've hopefully left work in the office. Those lines can easily become blurred WFH. I'm going to try this as soon as I shut my laptop down. Cheers

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tips for working from home on 15:05 - Mar 18 with 3412 viewsdavblue

Exercise, go for a walk at lunch or a run or when you have time before or after work.
Tips for working from home on 15:08 - Mar 18 with 3399 viewsdavblue

Tips for working from home on 12:08 - Mar 18 by GeoffSentence

stock up on tissues and lube

It’s got to be a sock surely atm with the tissue/ bog roll shortage?
Tips for working from home on 15:13 - Mar 18 with 3388 viewsITFC_Forever

Used to work from home all the time, now I hate it - I have got too used to the big screen I have at my desk in the office.... to then work from a laptop screen is frustrating.

When I worked at home before, it was ok.... popping to the shop for a mid-afternoon bar of chocolate was common, and listening to Pop Master is a must...

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Tips for working from home on 15:14 - Mar 18 with 3381 viewsBLUEBEAT

Tips for working from home on 13:02 - Mar 18 by SWGF

Another perk of WFH

IANAP

Poll: W or W

Tips for working from home on 15:21 - Mar 18 with 3355 viewsSwailsey

All sound advise.

I'd also add:

1) Try and set up an 'office' environment if you are used to one - i.e. a desk, plant, coaster

2) Have your normal pre-work routine - shower/bath/run etc.

3) Don't have distractions on in the background.

4) Keep the curtains and blinds open!

5) Stand outside your house, or go for a brief walk if possible, even if it's for just a few minutes. You'll find you enjoy the evenings more if you do - a change of scenery refreshes you.

6) It's ok to not like it, to feel a bit lonely, or out of sorts. You'll get a new normal.

7) Enjoy the fact you can have 99p oven pizza for lunch EVERY DAY if you want to

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Tips for working from home on 15:36 - Mar 18 with 3321 viewsSharkey

If you're going to be sitting at a computer all day, make sure you have a good office chair or you'll mess up your back. If necessary, go and borrow your chair from work if that's possible.
Tips for working from home on 16:40 - Mar 18 with 3241 viewsleitrimblue

I work from home a lot. In my experience yer gonna need a quantity of large silver rizla, chocolate milk and boxes of Tunnocks Teacakes
Tips for working from home on 16:52 - Mar 18 with 3203 viewsgiant_stow

Tips for working from home on 16:40 - Mar 18 by leitrimblue

I work from home a lot. In my experience yer gonna need a quantity of large silver rizla, chocolate milk and boxes of Tunnocks Teacakes

When I saw the title, I was gonna come on here with advice for Leitrimblue on what time it's acceptable to skin the first one (clue: Way before any yardarm nonsense).

Sadly, I see you're way ahead of me.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Tips for working from home on 17:52 - Mar 18 with 3158 viewsleitrimblue

Tips for working from home on 16:52 - Mar 18 by giant_stow

When I saw the title, I was gonna come on here with advice for Leitrimblue on what time it's acceptable to skin the first one (clue: Way before any yardarm nonsense).

Sadly, I see you're way ahead of me.

Im definitely not waiting for 4:20 u'll,s
Tips for working from home on 17:55 - Mar 18 with 3151 viewsDubtractor

Tips for working from home on 12:12 - Mar 18 by artsbossbeard

Get out of the house for an hour over lunch - go for a walk, go to the gym, pop to the shop.

This is a serious point IMO.

I get out into the garden a few times a day, feed the fish, see the garden grow etc.

I'm going to have to give serious thought to taking up jogging (prob at lunch time) too. My weekly football and badminton are out for the foreseeable future, as is my 2 mile walk to work, so I need to do something! Have always hated jogging (boring, and shags my knees) but I've limited choices.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Tips for working from home on 19:05 - Mar 18 with 3097 viewsSharkey

Tips for working from home on 17:55 - Mar 18 by Dubtractor

This is a serious point IMO.

I get out into the garden a few times a day, feed the fish, see the garden grow etc.

I'm going to have to give serious thought to taking up jogging (prob at lunch time) too. My weekly football and badminton are out for the foreseeable future, as is my 2 mile walk to work, so I need to do something! Have always hated jogging (boring, and shags my knees) but I've limited choices.

Jogging is much less painful if you can find a podcast or audiobook you actually look forward to, and reserve it for jogging.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024