Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is Paul Lamberts plan? 10:33 - Feb 5 with 3628 viewsMartus

My biggest issue right now, as it has been for the whole season, has been the playing style. Whilst it has kept us in the top 6 for the season up until now - it hasn't been the the best to watch. When Mick McCarthy left i thought there would be more emphasis on a better playing style and that hasn't been the case. We try and play it on the floor across the defence a bit more, before the likes of Wilson or Chambers get scared and hoof it long. We are simply not using our midfield enough and i just dont get why.

Our current game plan is hopelessly hoofing it long and hoping eith Jackson can get in behind or Keane/Norwood win the battle for a header .... both of which rarely ever happen. I don't get what Lambert does with his players during the week ... what does he teach them and what is he telling the players to do for the games. We have had some good periods of exciting fotball and we have been a great watch at times - but against the bigger more physical sides we just don't play. Are we to scared to try and play football or do we just get bullied? Either way - we arent convincing, even when we win. This side is not ready to be promoted, if we go up we would need investment to keep us up and that isnt likely to happen. Playing the style we are now isnt going to help us - we need get our midfield working and playing through it and playing balls through to Jackson and Norwod instead of hopeless 50/50 balls in the air and over the top.

We need to put more faith in the midfield and allow them to get the ball and use it rather than launch it from the back.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 10:34]

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

What is Paul Lamberts plan? (n/t) on 10:37 - Feb 5 with 3212 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 3205 viewsitfcjoe

He doesn't have one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

He's never had one (n/t) on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 3207 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Ha! (n/t) on 10:38 - Feb 5 with 3199 viewsBloots

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 10:38 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

He doesn't have one

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 10:39 - Feb 5 with 3196 viewsChrisd

He doesn't have one

Spot on. Fingers crossed and hope for the best. Pretty much the same approach adopted by our owner too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 10:41 - Feb 5 with 3182 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I do worry what, if anything they are doing Monday to Friday. Paul has been here over a year now, are any further forward in terms of his style of play?

In terms of league position we are clearly worse off.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:39 - Feb 5 with 3078 viewsPilgrimblue

Agree 100%

What baffles me is that every free kick and goal kick is hoofed with no particular aim. No invention and it’s so boring knowing that the ball will come straight back to defend again.
In recent games I noticed that Judge and Huws preferred time pass back at times instead of turning. On one occasion I think the crowd shouted ‘turn’!
For too often the midfield just watch the ball go over their heads so don’t get involved. Is it any wonder they’re not used to getting involved in passing to forwards. Just wish that Nash had been given the coaching role and leave PL the rest.
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:41 - Feb 5 with 3064 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:39 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

Agree 100%

What baffles me is that every free kick and goal kick is hoofed with no particular aim. No invention and it’s so boring knowing that the ball will come straight back to defend again.
In recent games I noticed that Judge and Huws preferred time pass back at times instead of turning. On one occasion I think the crowd shouted ‘turn’!
For too often the midfield just watch the ball go over their heads so don’t get involved. Is it any wonder they’re not used to getting involved in passing to forwards. Just wish that Nash had been given the coaching role and leave PL the rest.

Kick off is my annoyance.

Ball back to Chambers, boot into touch. It is like a Rugby match.

Keep the ball, it is a free opportunity to keep the ball!!

Login to get fewer ads

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:46 - Feb 5 with 3034 viewsPilgrimblue

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:41 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Yes that too! Why do they do it when it just doesn’t work.
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:46 - Feb 5 with 3035 viewsSamWhiteUK

This is nothing new. We've done this for years. Yes, Lambert hasn't fixed it, but it's not his "style" (or lack of)
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:54 - Feb 5 with 2989 viewsMartus

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:39 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

Agree 100%

We have players like Dozell who can look fr positive forward passes - which Lambert has praised him for in the past. Huws can pick a pass and Dozell can drive forward and pass it forward - but we just dont utlise their skill sets well enough.

As a midfielder for a big clubs in europe .... has Paul ever menioned that, you would have thought our midfielders would have improved under him and been utilised more.

"Bobby conquered Europe!!! And we won the FA cuuuuup!"

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:08 - Feb 5 with 2952 viewsRobTheMonk

Watching my local team (Oxford) last night made me even the more frustrated with the way we've been playing. They were calm under pressure, everyone knew what their jobs were and there was lots of technical football on show. They looked as if they had been coached. Ours do not.

That was not an anomaly from Oxford last night either. They play like that more often than not.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 12:31]
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:10 - Feb 5 with 2945 viewsGarv

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:46 - Feb 5 by SamWhiteUK

This is nothing new. We've done this for years. Yes, Lambert hasn't fixed it, but it's not his "style" (or lack of)

I’d guess than 70-80% of teams do this, but it doesn’t stop it from being infuriating. It’s takes the pressure off, but in doing that you just give the ball away.

I imagine an experienced player would be able to give a reasonable explanation for it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:24 - Feb 5 with 2908 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:46 - Feb 5 by Pilgrimblue

Yes that too! Why do they do it when it just doesn’t work.

We have been doing it for years, I would love to know the success rate on it, if one at all.

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:25 - Feb 5 with 2902 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 11:46 - Feb 5 by SamWhiteUK

Oh no I'm not suggesting that it defines our style more just an annoyance of mine.

Like you said, we have been doing it for years, even under MM. Although I am not sure why Lambert has not taken a look at it at thought, well this is constantly a waste of the ball.

There is no plan on 12:29 - Feb 5 with 2899 viewsDyland

We're being mugged off. It's gone from infuriating to enervating. Not sure what we can do except be philosophical and cross our fingers. Getting close to stopping going at all, but honesty not sure what Evans is meant to do at this stage.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 13:15 - Feb 5 with 2729 viewsChrisd

Perhaps we are looking to gain territory and win the ball against the head on the line out?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 13:24 - Feb 5 with 2704 viewsPecker

To sit tight, take the money and then go work for some radio station in Germany.
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 14:33 - Feb 5 with 2605 viewslondontractorboy57

Because the midfield are rubbish and have been for many years i am affraid.
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 14:43 - Feb 5 with 2571 viewshaynes_toe1

Lambert doesn't have a clear playing style, he hasn't done throughout his managerial career.

Even with Norwich it was predominantly long balls into channels, with Hoolahan finding pockets to receive knockdowns and working in the final third from there. But in League One they had Martin, Holt and Hoolahan. Comfortably the best players in that league at the time. I'm not sure how much was down to Lambert.

Since then he's not been able to hold down a job so it's hard to judge but there's been no real element of playing style or blueprint to what he wants from his team.

The painful thing for me is I called it at the end of last season - going down without even a fight yet fans were singing his name and telling us 'everything was going to be alright' and 'weve got our club back'. It was the biggest load of rubbish i'd seen and for some reason a manager saying a few nice things in a scottish accent was enough to brainwash the majority of our fanbase.
What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 14:46 - Feb 5 with 2560 viewsSamWhiteUK

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:25 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Oh no I'm not suggesting that it defines our style more just an annoyance of mine.

Like you said, we have been doing it for years, even under MM. Although I am not sure why Lambert has not taken a look at it at thought, well this is constantly a waste of the ball.

Right, immediately as well. Ref blows the whistle at 3 o'clock, we take the kickoff, and hoof them the ball. By 15:00:04, they have possession.
Bang on Rob... on 16:45 - Feb 5 with 2449 viewsunstableblue

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 12:08 - Feb 5 by RobTheMonk

Watching my local team (Oxford) last night made me even the more frustrated with the way we've been playing. They were calm under pressure, everyone knew what their jobs were and there was lots of technical football on show. They looked as if they had been coached. Ours do not.

That was not an anomaly from Oxford last night either. They play like that more often than not.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 12:31]

.... bang on

Even in the monsoon conditions at Oxford away you could see they were better than us in many areas, and as perhaps as individuals.

They have a more experienced back room from a higher level.

Having said that Ipswich came with great energy,and no lack of shape, and our performance was commendable.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Why don't you leave..... on 16:49 - Feb 5 with 2441 viewsBloots

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 14:43 - Feb 5 by haynes_toe1

Lambert doesn't have a clear playing style, he hasn't done throughout his managerial career.

Even with Norwich it was predominantly long balls into channels, with Hoolahan finding pockets to receive knockdowns and working in the final third from there. But in League One they had Martin, Holt and Hoolahan. Comfortably the best players in that league at the time. I'm not sure how much was down to Lambert.

Since then he's not been able to hold down a job so it's hard to judge but there's been no real element of playing style or blueprint to what he wants from his team.

The painful thing for me is I called it at the end of last season - going down without even a fight yet fans were singing his name and telling us 'everything was going to be alright' and 'weve got our club back'. It was the biggest load of rubbish i'd seen and for some reason a manager saying a few nice things in a scottish accent was enough to brainwash the majority of our fanbase.

....the Lambert bashing to us Ipswich fans.

We don't need your help.

Concentrate on your own fruitless attempt to avoid relegation.

He's never had one (n/t) on 19:16 - Feb 5 with 2332 viewsBlueBadger

He's never had one (n/t) on 10:38 - Feb 5 by Bloots

Sure he does, it goes 'do some pressers, impress some idiots, sell some season ticket so that the owner thinks you known what you're doing, get a new contract'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What is Paul Lamberts plan? on 19:43 - Feb 5 with 2308 viewstextbackup

He doesn't have one

he borrows plans off sheff utd

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024