Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's our fault people are homeless apparently 17:02 - Jan 31 with 6797 viewsMullet

This is almost as baffling as the Hopkins rant, and just as repulsive in a subtler more outrageous way. He's not in the pub, dribbling this down himself to anyone in earshot. He's in Parliament. The seat of power, slagging off the public and the underclass as he sees them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:41 - Jan 31 with 2248 viewsmonytowbray

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:37 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Homelessness is a real embarrassment for this country. I never give them money, but I will buy them a coffee and a pastry as well as a bag of treats for their dog. I saw a young lad the other day, probably about 12, walking up the road with a double pack of beef slices. He took one out and gave it to a homeless person. Made me very warm inside. Wish the wealth could be more equal, but will never happen. I voted Tory last time to get Brexit done, but it is the one and only time I would. All of these politicians are so far up their own a$$'s, it doesn't really matter who is in charge. If we all do a little bit to help those less fortunate than ourselves, then perhaps we can make it easier for those in hard times.

Homelessness will always exist, but it’s rocketed under the Tories. My friend said to me earlier “If anyone ever needs to find out what side of the class war they should be on, they should ponder how quick and likely they it would be they could end up homeless if they had no family and friends.” That really hit home for me.

I certainly think however not enough is being done to prevent people becoming homeless in the first place, let alone to help those who want to escape climb the ladder.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:43 - Jan 31 with 2255 viewsjeera

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:39 - Jan 31 by GeoffSentence

I dont think it warrants quite so much outrage. He has made a couple of reasonable points. Homelessness is a health issue and not a housing issue, I think he is bang on the money wth that, at leat in a large part. His other main point was that begging funds addictions, either alcohol or drugs, that is exactly the same advice that Shelter and Suffolk Police offer.

The police, like local councils, want the 'problem' moved elsewhere where they don't have to deal with it, so don't want 'it' encouraged.

I've done a bit of voluntary work for Shelter in the past and have been involved a little on the matter since.

I have witnessed first hand how local authorities want people to just go away if they don't have any answers for them.

Edit: And no, it is not always a health issue first at all. Often people drink and take drugs to cope with the situation they have found themselves in.

Very often it is the other way around and the MP in question is an ill-informed c-word.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 19:46]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:45 - Jan 31 with 2245 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:39 - Jan 31 by jeera

Homelessness is forced onto many, many people.

It's not [usually] a choice.

Only when people wake up to that will any real change happen.

I know of someone who has left a relationship and so is sofa surfing because they have nowhere else to go. They have a dependent child. That will not be a unique case by any means. Now think through the many possible reasons why someone would choose that over their relationship. I am sure most of them will exist in different situations across the country many times over. I am not even sure someone in that position will even count in the homelessness statistics.

It is disgraceful the lack of compassion or understanding that some people with power to make a difference have.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:46 - Jan 31 with 2226 viewsmonytowbray

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:39 - Jan 31 by GeoffSentence

I dont think it warrants quite so much outrage. He has made a couple of reasonable points. Homelessness is a health issue and not a housing issue, I think he is bang on the money wth that, at leat in a large part. His other main point was that begging funds addictions, either alcohol or drugs, that is exactly the same advice that Shelter and Suffolk Police offer.

Addicts are addicts, they won’t magically quit if you don’t give them money. I can go into an almost empty kitchen after a few bongs and walk out with some kind of snack as I want to eat no matter what, and addiction is similar. There are plenty of ways to score without money, many considerably risky and degrading. I’ll leave it to your imaginations to guess what those things could be.

I’d sooner give a homeless addict a couple of quid than have them mug someone a knife point to get their fix.

Plus I was a stone’s throw away from being an alcoholic last year and that was with money and a roof over my head thanks to some events, trauma and the resulting depression in my life. I can’t imagine what my mimd/body would want me to do to cope if I didn’t have those two safety nets.

TWTD never forgets…

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 20:34 - Jan 31 with 2207 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:46 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

Addicts are addicts, they won’t magically quit if you don’t give them money. I can go into an almost empty kitchen after a few bongs and walk out with some kind of snack as I want to eat no matter what, and addiction is similar. There are plenty of ways to score without money, many considerably risky and degrading. I’ll leave it to your imaginations to guess what those things could be.

I’d sooner give a homeless addict a couple of quid than have them mug someone a knife point to get their fix.

Plus I was a stone’s throw away from being an alcoholic last year and that was with money and a roof over my head thanks to some events, trauma and the resulting depression in my life. I can’t imagine what my mimd/body would want me to do to cope if I didn’t have those two safety nets.

While I agree with your general point and always give what I can without asking questions.... technically an addict that isn't homeless is taking money (potentially) from someone that is.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 21:16 - Jan 31 with 2164 viewsmonytowbray

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 20:34 - Jan 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

While I agree with your general point and always give what I can without asking questions.... technically an addict that isn't homeless is taking money (potentially) from someone that is.

A lot of homeless people have addictions though. The two often go hand in hand.

TWTD never forgets…

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:20 - Feb 1 with 2119 viewsDecoy_Octopus

It always baffles me, how people like this can get elected. Do people genuinely agree with him? Really, are the alternative candidates that bad? Or is it a product of our system with its safe seats and disenfranchisement that people feel they have mo choice but to vote for someone like this
It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:52 - Feb 1 with 2100 viewssparks

Indeed.

The essence of what he says has some merit. Much, but by no means all, of street homelessness is connected with health issues, and addiction.

Of course- that means we continue to fail in terms of mental health and drug treatment provision. Though there is an extent to which one can lead a horse to water, where drugs are concerned.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 9:57]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:58 - Feb 1 with 2076 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:52 - Feb 1 by sparks

Indeed.

The essence of what he says has some merit. Much, but by no means all, of street homelessness is connected with health issues, and addiction.

Of course- that means we continue to fail in terms of mental health and drug treatment provision. Though there is an extent to which one can lead a horse to water, where drugs are concerned.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 9:57]

I don’t recall the same mock outrage and political point scoring from the usual suspects on here when Mo Mowlam basically said the same thing when a minister in the last labour government when she launched their scheme to discourage people giving to beggars.

Tory scum etc.....

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 10:07 - Feb 1 with 2069 viewssparks

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:37 - Jan 31 by Pecker

Homelessness is a real embarrassment for this country. I never give them money, but I will buy them a coffee and a pastry as well as a bag of treats for their dog. I saw a young lad the other day, probably about 12, walking up the road with a double pack of beef slices. He took one out and gave it to a homeless person. Made me very warm inside. Wish the wealth could be more equal, but will never happen. I voted Tory last time to get Brexit done, but it is the one and only time I would. All of these politicians are so far up their own a$$'s, it doesn't really matter who is in charge. If we all do a little bit to help those less fortunate than ourselves, then perhaps we can make it easier for those in hard times.

I am at a loss to understand how anyone thought Brexit was more important than people's everyday lives.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 10:14 - Feb 1 with 2055 viewssparks

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:58 - Feb 1 by GlasgowBlue

I don’t recall the same mock outrage and political point scoring from the usual suspects on here when Mo Mowlam basically said the same thing when a minister in the last labour government when she launched their scheme to discourage people giving to beggars.

Tory scum etc.....

People have immediate reactions to people talking about particular subjects and dont always seem to hear properly what is actually said.

I only listened to it briefly- but to the extent he talked about homelessness being a choice- I didnt hear him say that it was a choice in the sense of it just being preferable and people's own fault. Rather he pointed out that people with serious addictions do not tend to sit quietly at home or in a hostel feeling sad because they dont have money to get a fix- they are driven to the streets to try to get money.

It may be that this bloke is an arse and one should infer a huge nasty subtext. But that point seems broadly valid.

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 10:16 - Feb 1 with 2047 viewsnoggin

Of course, the alternative for an addict would be to commit crimes to fund their habit.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 10:22 - Feb 1 with 2038 viewsnoggin

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 19:46 - Jan 31 by monytowbray

That last paragraph describes my own situation last year. Thankfully, I now live in a country that cares about it's citizens and I was given time and help to get my life back on track.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:11 - Feb 1 with 1996 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 10:14 - Feb 1 by sparks

People have immediate reactions to people talking about particular subjects and dont always seem to hear properly what is actually said.

I only listened to it briefly- but to the extent he talked about homelessness being a choice- I didnt hear him say that it was a choice in the sense of it just being preferable and people's own fault. Rather he pointed out that people with serious addictions do not tend to sit quietly at home or in a hostel feeling sad because they dont have money to get a fix- they are driven to the streets to try to get money.

It may be that this bloke is an arse and one should infer a huge nasty subtext. But that point seems broadly valid.

Indeed. The same message was being put out by a political party of a different colour twenty years ago.

Perhaps rather than making knee jerk reactions and people engaging in political point scoring we should take on board the message that giving to street beggars, many of whom are addicts, only fuels their addiction and that the money could be better sent to the relevant charities and groups who will use it to help these people.

And I say that as somebody who is as guilty as the next man for not being able to walk past somebody begging in the street without giving them some loose change. It’s human nature but may well be counterproductive.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 11:13]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:20 - Feb 1 with 1990 viewsmonytowbray

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:11 - Feb 1 by GlasgowBlue

Indeed. The same message was being put out by a political party of a different colour twenty years ago.

Perhaps rather than making knee jerk reactions and people engaging in political point scoring we should take on board the message that giving to street beggars, many of whom are addicts, only fuels their addiction and that the money could be better sent to the relevant charities and groups who will use it to help these people.

And I say that as somebody who is as guilty as the next man for not being able to walk past somebody begging in the street without giving them some loose change. It’s human nature but may well be counterproductive.

The counter productive argument often used the idea that giving to homeless people encourages people to be homeless though, as if it’s a lifestyle choice, which is madness.

My friend in scumland runs a homeless food charity and has been attacked by the local press several times on that angle, as if free soup a couple of times a week is encouraging people to live on the street.

TWTD never forgets…

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:43 - Feb 1 with 1967 viewsClapham_Junction

It is a housing issue insomuch as local authorities have far less social housing stock than they need (as a result of right to buy) and limited budgets to provide emergency accommodation.

Finland have had a lot of success in eliminating homelessness by the 'Housing First' approach, in which homeless people are given housing on an unconditional basis as the first part of the solution of dealing with their problems that caused them to become homeless.
It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:50 - Feb 1 with 1951 viewssparks

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:43 - Feb 1 by Clapham_Junction

It is a housing issue insomuch as local authorities have far less social housing stock than they need (as a result of right to buy) and limited budgets to provide emergency accommodation.

Finland have had a lot of success in eliminating homelessness by the 'Housing First' approach, in which homeless people are given housing on an unconditional basis as the first part of the solution of dealing with their problems that caused them to become homeless.

It is absolutely the case that there is a massive problem with social housing supply. And it is particularly bad for blokes, especially if they havent got kids.

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:51 - Feb 1 with 1949 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 09:20 - Feb 1 by Decoy_Octopus

It always baffles me, how people like this can get elected. Do people genuinely agree with him? Really, are the alternative candidates that bad? Or is it a product of our system with its safe seats and disenfranchisement that people feel they have mo choice but to vote for someone like this

I think so yeah, people really do agree with people like him. We’ve been turned into a ‘me first’ culture since the early 80s and there are many people who simply don’t care. They’ve been told only the Tories will give them the opportunity to get rich, and that’s all that matters. We’re a bit of a (relatively) socialist club on here, not at all representative of the real world.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 12:00 - Feb 1 with 1937 viewssparks

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:51 - Feb 1 by Swansea_Blue

I think so yeah, people really do agree with people like him. We’ve been turned into a ‘me first’ culture since the early 80s and there are many people who simply don’t care. They’ve been told only the Tories will give them the opportunity to get rich, and that’s all that matters. We’re a bit of a (relatively) socialist club on here, not at all representative of the real world.

Which bit, specifically, do you disagree with him on?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 12:48 - Feb 1 with 1899 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 11:11 - Feb 1 by GlasgowBlue

Your middle paragraph is why I give them money....much preferable to them thieving, mugging or prostituting themselves....which is the reality of what will happen.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 13:58 - Feb 1 with 1875 viewssohamblue74

This cannot be real. Has to be a parody. Democracy seems very broken nowadays, with pr1cks like this bloke having such a legitimate platform for all their evil nonsense.
It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 14:02 - Feb 1 with 1871 viewssparks

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 13:58 - Feb 1 by sohamblue74

This cannot be real. Has to be a parody. Democracy seems very broken nowadays, with pr1cks like this bloke having such a legitimate platform for all their evil nonsense.

Which thing he said, specifically, is evil nonsense?

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 15:12 - Feb 1 with 1837 viewsjeera

It's our fault people are homeless apparently on 12:00 - Feb 1 by sparks

Which bit, specifically, do you disagree with him on?

His entire approach for a start.

He's only focussed there on stereotyping; people lying about taking drugs and specific strong beers.

He even suggests if one gives up taking those things they will better themselves, instead of realising that in most cases the sight he is witnessing is the result of homelessness and not the cause.

As I say, until people can see this change will not happen.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024