Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting Brexit done... sort of 07:58 - Feb 1 with 853 viewstractordownsouth

So we may now have left but for all the Tory bluster about " Getting Brexit Done", in reality the process is only just beginning. I do genuinely hope that we make a success of it but now we need to hold these people accountable for all their promises that haven't been delivered - the £350m a week, new trade deals with countries we don't currently have agreements with, new fishing quotas and agricultural policy.

Throughout the last year, I have asked so many people what they were looking forward to after we leave.

1) " Sovereignty" - The simple response to this, is to ask what EU laws that were imposed on us that they don't like... I'm yet to hear one. And besides, we only vote in one constituency in both the EU and Westminster elections, so it makes no difference anyway.

2) "Democracy" - While I agree the commission should be elected, our PM has just appointed Zac Goldsmith (whom the electorate rejected) into the House of Lords. And actually the Proportional Voting system for EU elections actually gave us much more chance of a candidate we like being represented to elect us, as there are multiple members in each constituency and no ' safe seats'. There is also the big issue that voth leave campaigns, Vote Leave and Leave.EU, have been found guilty of overspending during the refernedum by the electoral commission. The irony of this is that if the referendum had been legally binding, the result would have been declared void.

3) Immigration - We could already control this ( See European Union Citizens Travel Directive Article 7.) And, if people are unhappy with their financial situation, I'm inclined to say it's more likely due to welath inequality rather than Igor from Bulgaria earning minimum wage.

4) (Insert any meaningless slogan)

However, I don't want to lambast most of the people who voted out; as my fellow liberal snowflake James O'Brien has said, "have contempt for the conmen and compassion for the conned".

Brexit is and always has been a tabloid project designed to convince people into blaming their legitimate problems ( low wages, poorer public services, lack of housing) on Europe and/ or immigration rather than the Global Financial Crisis, caused by the bankers.

As I said, I hope it goes well. But if it doesn't, don't come blaming us. It is solely down to the likes of Johnson, Gove, Farage, Rees Mogg, Raab, Patel. I've always said that for a party based around the notion of individualism and personal responsibility, the Tories are remarkably good at blaming their problems on anyone but themselves. Let's hope that this time they don't have to.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 7:59]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:01 - Feb 1 with 833 viewsbournemouthblue

Phase 1 is compete now onto Phase 2 which will make Phase 1 look like a speedy process

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:25 - Feb 1 with 778 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yup, it's like celebrating a house move, when all you've done is seen a house you like on Rightmove.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:27 - Feb 1 with 770 viewsEdmundo

You should be a journalist. Much more reasoned than the gutter tabloids

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:43 - Feb 1 with 743 viewsunstableblue

Great post and love the quote “ "have contempt for the conmen and compassion for the conned"

What I want to see is a detailed analysis of how much has been spent by government to date on Brexit, literally every government department has been spending a high portion of operating costs on Brexit ‘arrangements’ and external consulting costs are very high. I want detailed analysis of the new departments and functions being recreated to replace Brussels which are substantial, and is a recurring cost - Irish customs, the programme to manage European residency, must be significant.

I am convinced that they will end up reducing the wage / skill and entry requirements for Europe migrant workers... take London it cannot function without that labour force, our hospitality and agricultural sectors are completely reliant.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 736 viewsunstableblue

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 08:25 - Feb 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yup, it's like celebrating a house move, when all you've done is seen a house you like on Rightmove.

You haven’t seen the house; you just got a fact sheet from an estate agent with some pretty big falsehoods.

Oh and you get an invoice from the removers for 1/3 the cost of the house!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 14:48 - Feb 1 with 628 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think you will find that Brexit takes very little blame for our woes of the future. Everyone knows there is already a huge economic downturn that will now be maintained for decades - but there will always be an excuse of plausible consequence... china, coronavirus,world recession, pesky foreigners... and guess what - the EU. Certainly not lying politicians, deeply-ingrained racism nor uninformed ignorance. And anyway it wasn't them...it was the will of the people.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 15:08 - Feb 1 with 611 viewsPinewoodblue

Shame then that instead of spelling out why we should vote remain too much effort was put into trying to scare people.

When the history books are written the story will be of failure to get the message over rather than voters being mislead.

Cameron and co put so much effort into convincing their supporters that our relationship with the EU needed to change. They then had to try and get everyone to accept that what we had was better for Britain than leaving. Too much effort was put into scare tactics and not enough into explaining why the leave campaign was flawed.

If you want to point the finger anywhere it has to be at the boys David and George.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 15:15 - Feb 1 with 600 viewstractordownsouth

Getting Brexit done... sort of on 15:08 - Feb 1 by Pinewoodblue

Shame then that instead of spelling out why we should vote remain too much effort was put into trying to scare people.

When the history books are written the story will be of failure to get the message over rather than voters being mislead.

Cameron and co put so much effort into convincing their supporters that our relationship with the EU needed to change. They then had to try and get everyone to accept that what we had was better for Britain than leaving. Too much effort was put into scare tactics and not enough into explaining why the leave campaign was flawed.

If you want to point the finger anywhere it has to be at the boys David and George.

The remain campaign was poor. I think Cameron blamed the EU when it was politically convenient in order to appease the ERG, so in a sense the damage was done when he then asked us to support the EU. If remain had run a campaign highlighting austerity as the cause of the problems, the result may have been different, but as the architects of austerity, the government couldn't run that campaign.

I also think a Pro EU Labour leader like Andy Burnham could have really spoken to the working classes who eventually voted leave, rather than Corbyn ducking out of it. This then allowed the Tories to own the narrative, which led to the General Election Result.

I'm annoyed at Cameron, Corbyn, Osborne and the Brexit snake oil salesman.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2020 15:20]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024