Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Deals that did n't happen 10:25 - Jan 28 with 3979 viewsmarkyatetractor

Hi All,
interesting comment by Lance at 10.08 on BBC live transfer news regarding ITFC
Deals that did n't happen on 10:30 - Jan 28 with 3911 viewsBlueBadger

What was it?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Deals that did n't happen on 10:32 - Jan 28 with 3921 viewsPhilTWTD

"Lance: Bobby Robson had a young Dutchman by the name of Ruud Gullit on trial at Ipswich in 1980. Robson had doubts about signing him, so Gullit signed for Feyenoord instead. We also had Gazza on trial at Portman Road too in '83, but he was considered "too fat"!"

Not actually true re Gullit, he was watched no more than that. It was actually another player that was the reason for the trip to watch Haarlem, a goalkeeper if I remember rightly.
Deals that did n't happen on 10:32 - Jan 28 with 3900 viewsGeoffSentence

Deals that did n't happen on 10:30 - Jan 28 by BlueBadger

What was it?

Isn't this fvking annoying. It would have been nice to have a little hint what the interesting comment was, if not the actual comment.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Deals that did n't happen on 10:33 - Jan 28 with 3890 viewsGeoffSentence

Deals that did n't happen on 10:32 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

"Lance: Bobby Robson had a young Dutchman by the name of Ruud Gullit on trial at Ipswich in 1980. Robson had doubts about signing him, so Gullit signed for Feyenoord instead. We also had Gazza on trial at Portman Road too in '83, but he was considered "too fat"!"

Not actually true re Gullit, he was watched no more than that. It was actually another player that was the reason for the trip to watch Haarlem, a goalkeeper if I remember rightly.

So is all the stuff about Gullit being turned down because we already had Mich D'Avray as our allowed international contingent all urban myth?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Deals that did n't happen on 10:38 - Jan 28 with 3851 viewsITFC_Forever

Deals that did n't happen on 10:32 - Jan 28 by PhilTWTD

I've got a copy of the Evening Star in the loft at home from the day after the second leg of the UEFA Cup Final in 1981... and in amongst all the coverage of the cup win, there is a side column which says we are interested in a Dutch youngster by the name of Ruud Gullit.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Deals that did n't happen on 10:40 - Jan 28 with 3832 viewsPJH

Deals that did n't happen on 10:33 - Jan 28 by GeoffSentence

So is all the stuff about Gullit being turned down because we already had Mich D'Avray as our allowed international contingent all urban myth?

As I remember it we were looking at Gullit as a possible replacement for Frans Thijssen in 1981 because it did not look like Frans was going to sign a new contract.
Frans did sign so along with Arnold Muhren (and D'Avray)we had our quota of 'foreigners'.
Deals that did n't happen on 10:41 - Jan 28 with 3818 viewsElephantintheRoom

D'Avray turned up for a trial with Richard Gough.... Robson definitely bet on the wrong horse there.

Gullit was watched a few times but deemed to skinny allegedly... and Gazza had a trial - but I am not sure there was any prospect of signing him. There is a photo with a very young Gazza looking up to John Wark.... and also in the picture is Pat Nevin.... who Town certainly missed the boat on.

When you have a very good side it is perhaps easier to let good prospects go

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Deals that did n't happen on 10:41 - Jan 28 with 3825 viewsPJH

Deals that did n't happen on 10:38 - Jan 28 by ITFC_Forever

I've got a copy of the Evening Star in the loft at home from the day after the second leg of the UEFA Cup Final in 1981... and in amongst all the coverage of the cup win, there is a side column which says we are interested in a Dutch youngster by the name of Ruud Gullit.

As a replacement for Frans Thijssen if he did not sign his new contract, Frans did sign.

I have got that Evening Star too.
Login to get fewer ads

Deals that did n't happen on 10:46 - Jan 28 with 3778 viewsPhilTWTD

I think that story may have been one which developed in the subsequent years, even if signing another foreigner would have been difficult given the players already at the club.
Deals that did n't happen on 11:04 - Jan 28 with 3662 viewsLord_Lucan

Not sure about Gullit but if we had continued our interest then D'Avray might have been an issue we would have had to consider.

The fact that Sheff U nearly signed Maradonna is a better story.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Deals that did n't happen on 11:07 - Jan 28 with 3656 viewsfactual_blue

Deals that did n't happen on 10:41 - Jan 28 by PJH

As a replacement for Frans Thijssen if he did not sign his new contract, Frans did sign.

I have got that Evening Star too.

I now have this image of your lounge...

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Deals that did n't happen on 11:11 - Jan 28 with 3618 viewsPJH

Deals that did n't happen on 11:07 - Jan 28 by factual_blue

I now have this image of your lounge...

It might be if my wife let me.

Football books, cricket books, Jack The Ripper books, JFK books and loads of others in various places in the house.

Some ITFC memorabilia in the loft and some in a wardrobe plus loads of stuff that I wished that I had kept but have not.
Deals that did n't happen on 12:14 - Jan 28 with 3482 views66notout

Deals that did n't happen on 10:41 - Jan 28 by ElephantintheRoom

D'Avray turned up for a trial with Richard Gough.... Robson definitely bet on the wrong horse there.

Gullit was watched a few times but deemed to skinny allegedly... and Gazza had a trial - but I am not sure there was any prospect of signing him. There is a photo with a very young Gazza looking up to John Wark.... and also in the picture is Pat Nevin.... who Town certainly missed the boat on.

When you have a very good side it is perhaps easier to let good prospects go

Charlie Nicholas was another that apparently ‘got away’. He was always destined for Celtic but after being persuaded to come on trial at Portman Road he was asked by Bobby Ferguson to play at centre-half. A severely p***ed off Nicholas proceeded to dribble his way up the pitch, play a couple of one-twos and lash one into the top corner before being subbed by Fergie for his ‘cheek’.
So I was told.....
Deals that did n't happen on 12:40 - Jan 28 with 3383 viewsfactual_blue

Deals that did n't happen on 11:11 - Jan 28 by PJH

Football books, cricket books, Jack The Ripper books, JFK books and loads of others in various places in the house.

Some ITFC memorabilia in the loft and some in a wardrobe plus loads of stuff that I wished that I had kept but have not.

Posner and Mailer have written, IMHO, the two best books on JFK.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Deals that did n't happen on 12:44 - Jan 28 with 3368 viewsLord_Lucan

Deals that did n't happen on 12:14 - Jan 28 by 66notout

Charlie Nicholas was another that apparently ‘got away’. He was always destined for Celtic but after being persuaded to come on trial at Portman Road he was asked by Bobby Ferguson to play at centre-half. A severely p***ed off Nicholas proceeded to dribble his way up the pitch, play a couple of one-twos and lash one into the top corner before being subbed by Fergie for his ‘cheek’.
So I was told.....

I think that is a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend story

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Deals that did n't happen on 13:26 - Jan 28 with 3273 viewsyorkshire

Deals that did n't happen on 10:30 - Jan 28 by BlueBadger

What was it?

I think Charlie Austin is probably in this category - fee agreed just couldn’t get the personal terms done
Deals that did n't happen on 14:07 - Jan 28 with 3190 viewsAlexGreen

Deals that did n't happen on 13:26 - Jan 28 by yorkshire

I think Charlie Austin is probably in this category - fee agreed just couldn’t get the personal terms done

And Kevin Phillips before him!

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Deals that did n't happen on 14:15 - Jan 28 with 3156 viewspatrickswell

Deals that did n't happen on 14:07 - Jan 28 by AlexGreen

And Kevin Phillips before him!

I think that was the other way round. Philips was ready and willing to sign, but Watford wanted 75 grand more than we were prepared to pay.
Deals that did n't happen on 14:20 - Jan 28 with 3135 viewsPinewoodblue

Deals that did n't happen on 14:15 - Jan 28 by patrickswell

I think that was the other way round. Philips was ready and willing to sign, but Watford wanted 75 grand more than we were prepared to pay.

Could have gone to a tribunal but Sheepshanks, being prudent, wasn’t prepared to risk it. Didn’t we sign David Johnson instead?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Deals that did n't happen on 14:23 - Jan 28 with 3121 viewsconnorscontract

Deals that did n't happen on 11:11 - Jan 28 by PJH

It was Walter Sickert. Just accept that as fact (whether it is true or not) and you can move on with part of your life...
Deals that did n't happen on 15:17 - Jan 28 with 3032 viewsBlueNomad

Batistuta.........................

Didn't Gazza get homesick after a few days down here and returned home?
Deals that did n't happen on 16:28 - Jan 28 with 2952 viewsmonty_radio

Deals that did n't happen on 14:23 - Jan 28 by connorscontract

It was Walter Sickert. Just accept that as fact (whether it is true or not) and you can move on with part of your life...

But that would mean that I would then feel queasy about enjoying one of my favourite painters - so, no. it wasn't Walter!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Deals that did n't happen on 13:16 - Jan 29 with 2711 viewsPJH

Deals that did n't happen on 14:23 - Jan 28 by connorscontract

I will never believe that Walter Sickert shot JFK.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024