Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. 09:25 - Jan 2 with 1461 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

In a back four that is.

He was pretty good yesterday I thought. That role suits him far better than the role he has been playing in the 442. He clearly isn't an out and out defender so that wing back role actually allows him to play.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:29 - Jan 2 with 1436 viewsHerbivore

He's our best left back and we've generally been better playing with a back 4, so I sincerely hope that we do play Garbutt as a left back again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:31 - Jan 2 with 1429 viewsr2d2

Trouble is, he will. Oxford fans said last season he was a cr@p left back. Better further forward.
Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:40 - Jan 2 with 1415 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:29 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

He's our best left back and we've generally been better playing with a back 4, so I sincerely hope that we do play Garbutt as a left back again.

Kenlock is a better left back and Garbutt should play in front of him as a left midfielder imo. That is what worked at the beginning of the season when we had the strong defensive record. There is a reason Garbutt got dropped completely out of the Oxford team last year when playing as a Lb.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:41 - Jan 2 with 1410 viewsgeg1992

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:40 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

Kenlock is a better left back and Garbutt should play in front of him as a left midfielder imo. That is what worked at the beginning of the season when we had the strong defensive record. There is a reason Garbutt got dropped completely out of the Oxford team last year when playing as a Lb.

100% agree.

People say he's better than Kenlock, but stats say the complete opposite.

Garbutt is fantastic as a LM.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:42 - Jan 2 with 1404 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:40 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

Kenlock really isn't a better left back than Garbutt, I've no idea what you're basing that on. I agree that Garbutt is better playing on the left of midfield but he's done fine at left back and is our best option in that position so that's where he's playing.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:47 - Jan 2 with 1382 viewsChrisd

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:29 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

As he showed yesterday, he's more of threat further forward especially when he gets in positions to deliver the ball. The role yesterday works for him and he probably is our best LB option currently in a flat back 4, but I think that negates his threat offensively. So if Kenlock isn't the answer, PL needs to go out and get another fullback in that can do that job and be that defensive ally behind Garbutt. Another strange decision by the club, didn't Kenlock sign a long term contract in the summer or did I make that up?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:49 - Jan 2 with 1369 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:42 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

Kenlock really isn't a better left back than Garbutt, I've no idea what you're basing that on. I agree that Garbutt is better playing on the left of midfield but he's done fine at left back and is our best option in that position so that's where he's playing.

I have literally said what I am basing that on?? The defence at the start of the season?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:52 - Jan 2 with 1341 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:49 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

I have literally said what I am basing that on?? The defence at the start of the season?

We were getting results despite Kenlock's performances, not because of them. I genuinely don't know how anyone who has seen both play can claim with a straight face that Kenlock is a better left back than Garbutt.

Login to get fewer ads

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:53 - Jan 2 with 1335 viewsStokieBlue

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:41 - Jan 2 by geg1992

100% agree.

People say he's better than Kenlock, but stats say the complete opposite.

Garbutt is fantastic as a LM.

Kenlock isn't a better LB and the stats don't say the complete opposite.

We went through this two days ago.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:55 - Jan 2 with 1328 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:47 - Jan 2 by Chrisd

As he showed yesterday, he's more of threat further forward especially when he gets in positions to deliver the ball. The role yesterday works for him and he probably is our best LB option currently in a flat back 4, but I think that negates his threat offensively. So if Kenlock isn't the answer, PL needs to go out and get another fullback in that can do that job and be that defensive ally behind Garbutt. Another strange decision by the club, didn't Kenlock sign a long term contract in the summer or did I make that up?

Yep. He's our best left back and he's our best option further forward on the left too. Lambert should just make him run more!

That's not as daft as it sounds. There's no reason why he can't play in a flat back four and be asked to bomb on if we are well drilled positionally. There are all sorts of options from the left mid/winger covering for overlapping runs, or a CB pulling wide and DM dropping into the back or a DM covering the left when he bombs on....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:00 - Jan 2 with 1310 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:52 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

We were getting results despite Kenlock's performances, not because of them. I genuinely don't know how anyone who has seen both play can claim with a straight face that Kenlock is a better left back than Garbutt.

This is something that was said at the time that I didn't subscribe to. Some people were saying we were defending well despite Kenlock. I just thing that is a strange argument considering it is a back 4 unit. Kenlock wasn't unbelievable and he Is nowhere near a better footballer than Garbutt. However, I can genuinely say to you with a straight face that in a back 4 I would choose Kenlock every day of the week.

I think it is also to do with getting the best out of players. Garbutt is one of the best players at the club imo, were we seeing that when he was playing Lb I don't think we were.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:01 - Jan 2 with 1306 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:55 - Jan 2 by Swansea_Blue

Yep. He's our best left back and he's our best option further forward on the left too. Lambert should just make him run more!

That's not as daft as it sounds. There's no reason why he can't play in a flat back four and be asked to bomb on if we are well drilled positionally. There are all sorts of options from the left mid/winger covering for overlapping runs, or a CB pulling wide and DM dropping into the back or a DM covering the left when he bombs on....

Personally I'd like to see us go 4-3-3 with genuine wide forwards (Jackson, Sears, Dobra, Lankester if he ever gets fit) as our defenders are more comfortable in a back 4 and it enables us to still have three CMs playing too. In that system, Garbutt can still bomb forward with the wide forward or a CM dropping in to cover. It's only worth signing or playing a different LB if we're going to play Garbutt wide left in a 4-4-2 and I'm not convinced that is the formation for us going forward.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:02 - Jan 2 with 1300 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:00 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

This is something that was said at the time that I didn't subscribe to. Some people were saying we were defending well despite Kenlock. I just thing that is a strange argument considering it is a back 4 unit. Kenlock wasn't unbelievable and he Is nowhere near a better footballer than Garbutt. However, I can genuinely say to you with a straight face that in a back 4 I would choose Kenlock every day of the week.

I think it is also to do with getting the best out of players. Garbutt is one of the best players at the club imo, were we seeing that when he was playing Lb I don't think we were.

Genuinely staggered that anyone who has seen them both play thinks that Kenlock is a better left back than Garbutt. Each to their own I guess, but I make you way off on that.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:04 - Jan 2 with 1289 viewsStokieBlue

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:01 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

Personally I'd like to see us go 4-3-3 with genuine wide forwards (Jackson, Sears, Dobra, Lankester if he ever gets fit) as our defenders are more comfortable in a back 4 and it enables us to still have three CMs playing too. In that system, Garbutt can still bomb forward with the wide forward or a CM dropping in to cover. It's only worth signing or playing a different LB if we're going to play Garbutt wide left in a 4-4-2 and I'm not convinced that is the formation for us going forward.

I'm coming round to Jackson playing as a wide forward as long as he's actually a forward and not dropping back all the while leaving the CF isolated.

His crossing has been excellent in the most part and certainly would inject a bit of pace down the wings.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:13 - Jan 2 with 1265 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:01 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

One thing I will give you is I don't think that the centre back cover has been superb for him in recent weeks.

Also agree RE Dobra, not sure where he has gone, he is very raw, but he can carry the ball and beat a man, and we have really missed that in recent weeks. Hopefully Bish coming back can aid with that as well.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:29 - Jan 2 with 1240 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:04 - Jan 2 by StokieBlue

I'm coming round to Jackson playing as a wide forward as long as he's actually a forward and not dropping back all the while leaving the CF isolated.

His crossing has been excellent in the most part and certainly would inject a bit of pace down the wings.

SB

Jackson works the channels really well and can occupy a CB and a full back with his pace and energy. I think he'd still get goals playing as a wide forward as well as adding to his assists. Imagine him on one side and Sears on the other side, incredible pace and directness for this level.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:33 - Jan 2 with 1232 viewsPinewoodblue

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 09:52 - Jan 2 by Herbivore

You seem to be missing the point. If we play 4-4-2 Garbutt in front of Kenlock is a better combination than almost anyone else in front of Garbutt.

It is a team game, you play the best combinations which may not be the ‘best’ players.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:36 - Jan 2 with 1224 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:04 - Jan 2 by StokieBlue

SB

Agree with this, I like Jackson and he has scored some good goals this season. But I cant help but feel he is lacking something when he plays upfront. I cant put my finger on what though.

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:43 - Jan 2 with 1208 viewsLankHenners

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:36 - Jan 2 by TRUE_BLUE123

Agree with this, I like Jackson and he has scored some good goals this season. But I cant help but feel he is lacking something when he plays upfront. I cant put my finger on what though.

Jackson's main weakness is that he needs several touches to get the ball under control and his decision making when given time is pretty poor. He's much more effective when he can be played in behind with the defence on the turn where he can use his pace to create an opportunity or can bang the ball across goal from the dead ball line. As a team we're not very good at creating the best opportunities for any of our forwards.

A 433 with Jackson as a wide forward with Sears on the other side should be far more than good enough at this level and would allow us to get 3 in midfield which suits us more as well.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 11:04 - Jan 2 with 1168 viewsHerbivore

Hopefully Lambert never plays Garbutt as a left back again. on 10:33 - Jan 2 by Pinewoodblue

You seem to be missing the point. If we play 4-4-2 Garbutt in front of Kenlock is a better combination than almost anyone else in front of Garbutt.

It is a team game, you play the best combinations which may not be the ‘best’ players.

I don't think we should play a 4-4-2 so it's rather moot. If we do want to play that system then our best bet is to sign a new left back. Kenlock isn't the answer, he's pony. And actually the OP was claiming Kenlock is a better left back than Garbutt, he wasn't talking about combinations.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 11:06]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024