Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants 21:08 - Nov 25 with 4526 viewsGuthrum

Or chefs, for that matter.

What do you use to take the place of cream and butter when making sauces? Also, are there any brands of margerine which do not contain buttermilk?

I've tried some of the the cream substitutes (e.g. Elmlea), but they just separate badly, resulting in a nasty mess.

Reason I'm asking is because I sometimes cook for lactose intolerant friends and want to expand my options.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 21:09]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 21:26 - Nov 25 with 2487 viewsHerbivore

Alpro soya cream generally works pretty well as a cream substitute. All Flora, including their buttery offering, is vegan.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 21:57 - Nov 25 with 2452 viewsMJallday

Mrs MJ is gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant and generally a fussy sod.

i just asked and shes said "its easier just to buy the free from cream sauces such as the white sauces - asda do the best range of free from "

she said that the "green carton lactose free milk and cream" is good for making them and they are availble in any supermaket ( we use sainsburys) - but they are only suitable for lactose intollerant people - not people with milk allergies.

hth

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:14 - Nov 25 with 2426 viewsStokieBlue

I made a cheesecake the other month for a dinner where someone was lactose intolerant.

I think I used the Oatly cream cheese substitute and the Oatly single cream substitute. Single cream (or substitutes) won't set as well so I believe I used some agar agar to help it along.

Mango along the top and plenty of sugar and to be honest it was pretty good. It's mostly sugar anyway. They were very happy as they are never usually able to have cheesecake.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:21 - Nov 25 with 2403 viewsWeWereZombies

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 21:26 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

Alpro soya cream generally works pretty well as a cream substitute. All Flora, including their buttery offering, is vegan.

Although, last time I looked, Flora contains palm oil - so if you are boycotting the stuff for environmental reasons that does rule that out.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:25 - Nov 25 with 2388 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 21:26 - Nov 25 by Herbivore

What he said.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:25 - Nov 25 with 2393 viewsDubtractor

Yeah, Mrs Dub uses Flora - as do I for the most part - and it is perfectly fine.

She also swears by the various Oatly products for milk/cream and that.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 22:27]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:32 - Nov 25 with 2371 viewsRyorry

I don't make sauces, so don't know in practical terms about that, but Alpro organic soya milk is the best substitute milk going out of the dozen+ that I've tried (used to be called 'wholebean' but has just been repackaged as https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/alpro-organic-longlife-unsweetened-wholeb )

Best margerine going from the many I've tried is https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/pure-dairy-free-sunflower-spread-

Does use some palm oil but RSPO sustainably certificated.

I'm extremely allergic to all dairy, but have never had any problem with either of the above.

G'luck!
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 22:33]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:39 - Nov 25 with 2355 viewsMelford

A small amount of baking soda can reduce the coconut taste in coconut milk, I'd put that into a sauce or curry instead of cream if I was doing a lactose intolerant/vegan dish, thicken it up with a bit of cornflour because you won'y have the consistency of cream.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:40 - Nov 25 with 2352 viewseireblue

Oatly products.

Sometimes you can make nice cream sauces from a combination of soft tofu, cashew nuts, vegetable stock, a bit of any non-dairy milk.

Many vegan margarines, Naturli, Pure and Vitalite spring to mind.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:41 - Nov 25 with 2343 viewsStokieBlue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:39 - Nov 25 by Melford

A small amount of baking soda can reduce the coconut taste in coconut milk, I'd put that into a sauce or curry instead of cream if I was doing a lactose intolerant/vegan dish, thicken it up with a bit of cornflour because you won'y have the consistency of cream.

Xanthan gum is also a good thickener which is vegan safe and gives a more creamy texture than cornflour due to the way it emulsifies the liquid.

SB

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:49 - Nov 25 with 2328 viewsRyorry

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:40 - Nov 25 by eireblue

Oatly products.

Sometimes you can make nice cream sauces from a combination of soft tofu, cashew nuts, vegetable stock, a bit of any non-dairy milk.

That's just reminded me about -

https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/ecomill-cuisine-cashew.html

https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/ecomill-cuisine-drink.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uB

Ecomil is a great brand for taste and variety - where you can still get it in the UK, because most UK suppliers have stopped importing it owing to trend towards less sugar.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 23:40 - Nov 25 with 2292 viewsGuthrum

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:14 - Nov 25 by StokieBlue

I made a cheesecake the other month for a dinner where someone was lactose intolerant.

I think I used the Oatly cream cheese substitute and the Oatly single cream substitute. Single cream (or substitutes) won't set as well so I believe I used some agar agar to help it along.

Mango along the top and plenty of sugar and to be honest it was pretty good. It's mostly sugar anyway. They were very happy as they are never usually able to have cheesecake.

SB

I di a cheesecake once which was both lactose and gluten free. It sort of worked, altho the DF "cream cheese" was rather on the runny side. And the tinned cherries turned out to have stones in.

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 23:41 - Nov 25 with 2290 viewsGuthrum

Thanks all.

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 00:54 - Nov 26 with 2259 viewsSwansea_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 21:57 - Nov 25 by MJallday

Mrs MJ is gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant and generally a fussy sod.

i just asked and shes said "its easier just to buy the free from cream sauces such as the white sauces - asda do the best range of free from "

she said that the "green carton lactose free milk and cream" is good for making them and they are availble in any supermaket ( we use sainsburys) - but they are only suitable for lactose intollerant people - not people with milk allergies.

hth

She can’t be that fussy!

*runs away*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:49 - Nov 26 with 2166 viewsChiefXL

Seconded for the Flora Buttery option as a vegan replacement for butter.
It's incredibly realistic.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:52 - Nov 26 with 2156 viewschicoazul

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 22:40 - Nov 25 by eireblue

Oatly products.

Isnt oat milk problematic, as in it requires loads and loads of water which is locked into it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:54 - Nov 26 with 2153 viewsChiefXL

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:52 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

Isnt oat milk problematic, as in it requires loads and loads of water which is locked into it?

It's also incredibly difficult and time consuming to milk an oat.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:55 - Nov 26 with 2151 viewschicoazul

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:54 - Nov 26 by ChiefXL

It's also incredibly difficult and time consuming to milk an oat.

tiny nipples.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:57 - Nov 26 with 2146 viewseireblue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 10:52 - Nov 26 by chicoazul

No.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46654042
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:08 - Nov 26 with 2136 viewsEly_Blue

As a chef, and one who now works in the manufacturing industry, the biggest problem with trying to replace dairy in sauces is twofold, firstly any butter/margarine replacements are based on water and oil emulsions and as such are not good for cooking with.

The second issue is with cream replacers and it’s a problem particularly for dairy free ice cream as well as sauces, the big missing thing is the mouth feel of cream, it’s really difficult to try and replace this (the same can be said for low fat recipes too)

If I’m being honest with you then it is better to try and be creative with your cooking and make something that wouldn’t normally need dairy than to make a bad imitation by trying to make a non dairy version

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:10 - Nov 26 with 2128 viewsStokieBlue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:08 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

As a chef, and one who now works in the manufacturing industry, the biggest problem with trying to replace dairy in sauces is twofold, firstly any butter/margarine replacements are based on water and oil emulsions and as such are not good for cooking with.

The second issue is with cream replacers and it’s a problem particularly for dairy free ice cream as well as sauces, the big missing thing is the mouth feel of cream, it’s really difficult to try and replace this (the same can be said for low fat recipes too)

If I’m being honest with you then it is better to try and be creative with your cooking and make something that wouldn’t normally need dairy than to make a bad imitation by trying to make a non dairy version

Isn't Xanthum gum used in many ice creams to give that creamy emulsified texture?

It can be used in sauces to accomplish the same thing although perhaps not the same as pouring a load of double-cream in.

SB

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:15 - Nov 26 with 2117 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:10 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

Isn't Xanthum gum used in many ice creams to give that creamy emulsified texture?

It can be used in sauces to accomplish the same thing although perhaps not the same as pouring a load of double-cream in.

SB

All that can than gum does is to emulsify/thicken, if I am being honest starches and other fibres do a better job but they can never replace the fatty creamy feeling that is missing from your mouth during the eating.

I will give you a prime example in ice cream from a company who have done a pretty good job of trying (I know because I worked on them with them), take a look at a pot of Ben and Jerry’s and then go and taste the vegan/dairy free alternative, they do a good job at trying to get the consistency by using pea protein, that has its challenges as it tastes vile and requires huge amounts of flavour maskers to cover it up, but at the end of the day you are still left with a sense of “emptiness” on your palate as opposed to a full dairy equivalent

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:16 - Nov 26 with 2114 viewsmonytowbray

Oat is one of the most environmentally friendly of the fake milks. Cashew and almond the worst. Still all considerably better for sustainability though vs cow milk.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:16 - Nov 26 with 2112 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:16 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

Oat is one of the most environmentally friendly of the fake milks. Cashew and almond the worst. Still all considerably better for sustainability though vs cow milk.

Not to mention almond milk which is only around 2% almonds anyway

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:18 - Nov 26 with 2108 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:08 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

In all honesty when it comes to butter and cream stuff the above methods have posed no issue for me. Granted I'm cooking to my own standards and not to the public, and I've lost my reference point for the taste of animal products as it's been a while since I had them, but most feedback from guests I cook for (even meat eaters) has been positive.

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024