Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants 21:08 - Nov 25 with 4537 viewsGuthrum

Or chefs, for that matter.

What do you use to take the place of cream and butter when making sauces? Also, are there any brands of margerine which do not contain buttermilk?

I've tried some of the the cream substitutes (e.g. Elmlea), but they just separate badly, resulting in a nasty mess.

Reason I'm asking is because I sometimes cook for lactose intolerant friends and want to expand my options.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2019 21:09]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:18 - Nov 26 with 2006 viewsHerbivore

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:15 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

All that can than gum does is to emulsify/thicken, if I am being honest starches and other fibres do a better job but they can never replace the fatty creamy feeling that is missing from your mouth during the eating.

I will give you a prime example in ice cream from a company who have done a pretty good job of trying (I know because I worked on them with them), take a look at a pot of Ben and Jerry’s and then go and taste the vegan/dairy free alternative, they do a good job at trying to get the consistency by using pea protein, that has its challenges as it tastes vile and requires huge amounts of flavour maskers to cover it up, but at the end of the day you are still left with a sense of “emptiness” on your palate as opposed to a full dairy equivalent

Booja Booja ice cream is probably the best vegan ice cream I've had for replicating that mouth feel you mention. The Alpro ice cream is also reasonably creamy, but I know what you mean about it not having that fatty cream feeling. Personally I'm not all that fussed, vegan ice cream is still decent even without it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:19 - Nov 26 with 2009 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:18 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

In all honesty when it comes to butter and cream stuff the above methods have posed no issue for me. Granted I'm cooking to my own standards and not to the public, and I've lost my reference point for the taste of animal products as it's been a while since I had them, but most feedback from guests I cook for (even meat eaters) has been positive.

You/they obviously have low standards

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:45 - Nov 26 with 1992 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:19 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

You/they obviously have low standards

This post has been edited by an administrator

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:53 - Nov 26 with 1982 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:45 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

This post has been edited by an administrator

I see you still have no sense of humour, some things never change, you should try engaging in humour rather than just insults, people may even grow to like you and respect your opinions.

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:53 - Nov 26 with 1983 viewseireblue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:18 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

In all honesty when it comes to butter and cream stuff the above methods have posed no issue for me. Granted I'm cooking to my own standards and not to the public, and I've lost my reference point for the taste of animal products as it's been a while since I had them, but most feedback from guests I cook for (even meat eaters) has been positive.

I have some friends that are really “visual” vegans. E.g they will eat a donut with egg, but won’t eat an actual egg.

However, they can’t eat dairy products anymore. From dropping milk in tea/cereals etc, they now dislike the milky/creamy taste and sensation. Even in chocolate.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:54 - Nov 26 with 1978 viewsHerbivore

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:53 - Nov 26 by eireblue

I have some friends that are really “visual” vegans. E.g they will eat a donut with egg, but won’t eat an actual egg.

However, they can’t eat dairy products anymore. From dropping milk in tea/cereals etc, they now dislike the milky/creamy taste and sensation. Even in chocolate.

Happily, quite a few supermarket donuts now use a vegan recipe.

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:56 - Nov 26 with 1975 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:54 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

And most of the takeaway pizza chains use vegan dough (not dominos iirc)

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:00 - Nov 26 with 1971 viewsStokieBlue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:53 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

I see you still have no sense of humour, some things never change, you should try engaging in humour rather than just insults, people may even grow to like you and respect your opinions.

To be honest it didn't really look like a joke. Perhaps best work on the delivery.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:02 - Nov 26 with 1967 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:00 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

To be honest it didn't really look like a joke. Perhaps best work on the delivery.

SB

It certainly wasn’t warranting of the abusive response that it got

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:03 - Nov 26 with 1967 viewseireblue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:54 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Really, oh cr@p, that’s another couple of kilos gained in the future.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:05 - Nov 26 with 1962 viewsHerbivore

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:03 - Nov 26 by eireblue

Really, oh cr@p, that’s another couple of kilos gained in the future.

It's not ideal. In most Sainsburys the recipe is now vegan, including their custard donuts (which have been rebranded as vanilla donuts). Think some of Morrisons and Asda ones are too, but I'm a classy bitch so tend to avoid Asda.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 12:08]

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:06 - Nov 26 with 1960 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:02 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

It certainly wasn’t warranting of the abusive response that it got

Considering your posting history and the fact you called me a c*nt in recent memory over my veganism it really didn't come across as one. Context.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:08 - Nov 26 with 1954 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:05 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

It's not ideal. In most Sainsburys the recipe is now vegan, including their custard donuts (which have been rebranded as vanilla donuts). Think some of Morrisons and Asda ones are too, but I'm a classy bitch so tend to avoid Asda.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 12:08]

I'm trying to reduce the carby stuff I eat in favour of vegetables and less stodge. London has ruined me diet wise with all the junk food on offer and the supermarkets are getting worse for stocking it too (or better depending on what you fancy).

I mean, crippling depression, trauma and having no desire to look after myself hasn't helped this year either.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:10 - Nov 26 with 1954 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:06 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

Considering your posting history and the fact you called me a c*nt in recent memory over my veganism it really didn't come across as one. Context.

I’d love you to point out where I called you that, I may use plenty of colourful language but wouldn’t use that word either in person or in any online forum, it’s a vile word.

And considering I was actually entering into reasoned debate on the subject today with valid responses then I think my reply about standards was justified, your reply wasnt

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:13 - Nov 26 with 1949 viewsHerbivore

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:08 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

I'm trying to reduce the carby stuff I eat in favour of vegetables and less stodge. London has ruined me diet wise with all the junk food on offer and the supermarkets are getting worse for stocking it too (or better depending on what you fancy).

I mean, crippling depression, trauma and having no desire to look after myself hasn't helped this year either.

Every now and then I fancy a dirty donut. Mostly I eat pretty well.

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:15 - Nov 26 with 1949 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:10 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

I’d love you to point out where I called you that, I may use plenty of colourful language but wouldn’t use that word either in person or in any online forum, it’s a vile word.

And considering I was actually entering into reasoned debate on the subject today with valid responses then I think my reply about standards was justified, your reply wasnt

The post was deleted unsurprisingly. But I saw it. It was in relation to a joke tweet I posted to ITFC about a free vegan pie at a Fanzone event. Sitters shared it and you replied to it saying something along the lines of me being a "complete and utter c-unit".

Making sh1tty remarks to people that add nothing of value to a polite and interesting thread add nothing to the forum, regardless of your background or knowledge on the topic.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:16 - Nov 26 with 1947 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:13 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Every now and then I fancy a dirty donut. Mostly I eat pretty well.

I have a horrible addiction to crisps. Particularly supermarket brand Frazzles.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:25 - Nov 26 with 1943 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:15 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

The post was deleted unsurprisingly. But I saw it. It was in relation to a joke tweet I posted to ITFC about a free vegan pie at a Fanzone event. Sitters shared it and you replied to it saying something along the lines of me being a "complete and utter c-unit".

Making sh1tty remarks to people that add nothing of value to a polite and interesting thread add nothing to the forum, regardless of your background or knowledge on the topic.

Coming over all holier than thou about how great your vegan food is also added nothing to the debate, trust me I know more about vegan food than you can imagine, maybe I have made comments in the past as a wind up but today it was clear I was engaging in and bringing value to a polite thread, you turned it all “well I never get any complaints”

Maybe as a professional in the subject matter you would have seen that I have high standards, hence my reply!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 12:26]

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:41 - Nov 26 with 1930 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:25 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

Coming over all holier than thou about how great your vegan food is also added nothing to the debate, trust me I know more about vegan food than you can imagine, maybe I have made comments in the past as a wind up but today it was clear I was engaging in and bringing value to a polite thread, you turned it all “well I never get any complaints”

Maybe as a professional in the subject matter you would have seen that I have high standards, hence my reply!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2019 12:26]

Honestly I don't care. Just perhaps consider the context of snarky remarks to people you don't really know.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:50 - Nov 26 with 1922 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:41 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

Honestly I don't care. Just perhaps consider the context of snarky remarks to people you don't really know.

I apologise if I caused offence but also you should note that each thread you participate in doesn’t have to turn into “I don’t have an issue/it’s all about me and my view”

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:52 - Nov 26 with 1917 viewsmonytowbray

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:50 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

I apologise if I caused offence but also you should note that each thread you participate in doesn’t have to turn into “I don’t have an issue/it’s all about me and my view”

The apology was all that was needed.

TWTD never forgets…

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:58 - Nov 26 with 1915 viewsEly_Blue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 12:52 - Nov 26 by monytowbray

The apology was all that was needed.

Likewise regarding the uncalled for bellend comment!

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 16:06 - Nov 26 with 1904 viewsBigManBlue

Vegan popcorn at the ready...

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 17:44 - Nov 26 with 1894 viewseireblue

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 16:06 - Nov 26 by BigManBlue

Vegan popcorn at the ready...

Nothing to see here.

That's probably the best place for the popcorn.
Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 23:36 - Nov 26 with 1875 viewsRyorry

Question for TWTD vegans - and lactose intolerants on 11:16 - Nov 26 by Ely_Blue

Not to mention almond milk which is only around 2% almonds anyway

Ecomil varies from 2.6% to 6% for their calcium-enriched almond milk; and their almonds are grown in Spain.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024