Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) 13:04 - Oct 9 with 7334 viewsAlan_Essex

BardfieldBlue
Poll: VAR - or no VAR in League One

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 16:14 - Oct 9 with 2184 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 15:11 - Oct 9 by Churchman

I detested McCarthy in so many ways, but surely he has to be better than Jewell and quite a few other clueless horrors in that list!

Jewell always reminded me of a bloke who’d been dragged out of a boozer to be told he’d won a ‘be a manager for the day’ prize.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 15:13]

Anyone voting McCarthy has considered him worse than Jewell, Keane AND Hurst, not to mention a couple from years back

Quite astonishing that anyone can hold such an opinion. One was probably Mach mind you

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:15 - Oct 9 with 2181 viewsitfcjoe

Had to give PJ a vote as he was massively unrepresented in this and deserves to be right up there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:20 - Oct 9 with 2173 viewsActionMan

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:04 - Oct 9 by BrixtonBlue

It's because he came after Keane. However bad he was, he was trying to clear up Keane's mess. Keane inherited a much better squad.

I also dispute the statement, "The spending also went out of control under his watch as well." Keane spent a bit more and equally wasted it.

Plus if you're talking style in terms of "and the football", Keane's was far less easy on the eye.

I am not sure Keane's was worse to be honest. Certainly the start of 2012-13 was some of the worst football ever played by any Ipswich team, I never felt so awful watching Ipswich as I did then and that also includes Hurst, as while the players were rubbish, the effort was there, I can't say that for much of Jewells players, wasters, total wasters. As for the spending this pretty much shows how bad they both were I guess - http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/ipswich-great-club-big-problems - buck ultimately stops with Evans who oversaw it though.

Keane's issue was he took a sledgehammer to Jim's team far too quickly, he invested far too much stock in ex Sunderland players and arrived under a stormcloud from his shaming at Sunderland, again, Evans should have NEVER appointed him. The man broke a tactics board over his captains head at the last club he managed. Also what did Evans do when he found out his manager threatened to fight one of his players (Walters) who asked about a transfer request the manager had already agreed to? Because that should have been an outright sacking right then.

This club has been a joke since Sheepshanks left to be frank.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:33 - Oct 9 with 2160 viewsitfcjoe

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:20 - Oct 9 by ActionMan

I am not sure Keane's was worse to be honest. Certainly the start of 2012-13 was some of the worst football ever played by any Ipswich team, I never felt so awful watching Ipswich as I did then and that also includes Hurst, as while the players were rubbish, the effort was there, I can't say that for much of Jewells players, wasters, total wasters. As for the spending this pretty much shows how bad they both were I guess - http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/ipswich-great-club-big-problems - buck ultimately stops with Evans who oversaw it though.

Keane's issue was he took a sledgehammer to Jim's team far too quickly, he invested far too much stock in ex Sunderland players and arrived under a stormcloud from his shaming at Sunderland, again, Evans should have NEVER appointed him. The man broke a tactics board over his captains head at the last club he managed. Also what did Evans do when he found out his manager threatened to fight one of his players (Walters) who asked about a transfer request the manager had already agreed to? Because that should have been an outright sacking right then.

This club has been a joke since Sheepshanks left to be frank.

I've never been so disillusiond with the football club as I was under PJ a the start of 12/13 - and this was supposed to be a safe pair of hands and an experienced manager to steady the ship

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:34 - Oct 9 with 2152 viewsTommyparker

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:15 - Oct 9 by itfcjoe

Had to give PJ a vote as he was massively unrepresented in this and deserves to be right up there

Paul Jewell G 86 W 30 D 18 L 38.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 16:58 - Oct 9 with 2141 viewsbaxterbasics

I went with Hurst s the obvious choice, but could have swung towards Keane simply for selling Jordan Rhodes.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 21:41 - Oct 9 with 2092 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 16:14 - Oct 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone voting McCarthy has considered him worse than Jewell, Keane AND Hurst, not to mention a couple from years back

Quite astonishing that anyone can hold such an opinion. One was probably Mach mind you

No it wasn't me and don't know where you take your stupid assumptions from. Just because I have no respect for your messiah doesn't mean I regard him as a worst one. He's obviously a p***k as a person but as for managers Hurst and Jewell have been the worst ones.

You must be upset with not having opportunity to continue your inane attacks on Lambert. Poor you ! When we lose our first game this season you will probably utter some tripe.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 21:41]
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 00:05 - Oct 10 with 2049 viewsronnyd

For me, it has to be Keane, if only because he,s a massive turd.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 06:43 - Oct 10 with 2005 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 21:41 - Oct 9 by Mach_foreignBlue

No it wasn't me and don't know where you take your stupid assumptions from. Just because I have no respect for your messiah doesn't mean I regard him as a worst one. He's obviously a p***k as a person but as for managers Hurst and Jewell have been the worst ones.

You must be upset with not having opportunity to continue your inane attacks on Lambert. Poor you ! When we lose our first game this season you will probably utter some tripe.

Ahahaha

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:12 - Oct 10 with 1983 viewsDarth_Koont

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:26 - Oct 9 by BlueBadger

Spot on. Keane singlehandedly decimated ME's trust in managers to the extent that he's never really backed them in the transfer market since, either used badly or sold off a large chunk of a promising youth team, alienated a number of quality senior professionals who could have genuinely contributed and mired us in a turgid style of play.
In a very real way, Keane is responsible for us finding our way into the third division.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2019 14:46]

At the risk of turning this into a Jewell vs. Keane discussion when Hurst is now in a class of his own, your premise isn't correct.

Jewell spent more than any other manager. And on wages too which was value we would never have a chance of getting back. It left us with an aging, shambolic squad and almost zero player development. An approach that took several years and much of our limited investment to turn around.

Pronouns: He/Him

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:30 - Oct 10 with 1966 viewsChurchman

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:12 - Oct 10 by Darth_Koont

At the risk of turning this into a Jewell vs. Keane discussion when Hurst is now in a class of his own, your premise isn't correct.

Jewell spent more than any other manager. And on wages too which was value we would never have a chance of getting back. It left us with an aging, shambolic squad and almost zero player development. An approach that took several years and much of our limited investment to turn around.

Jewell certainly took the word clueless to another level and you can add to your list the largely useless, dysfunctional pub players he signed.

I still err towards Keane though due to the destruction he wrought to the essence of the club, the opportunity he threw away and the unhappy mess that he left.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:58 - Oct 10 with 1949 viewsDarth_Koont

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:30 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Jewell certainly took the word clueless to another level and you can add to your list the largely useless, dysfunctional pub players he signed.

I still err towards Keane though due to the destruction he wrought to the essence of the club, the opportunity he threw away and the unhappy mess that he left.

We were a bit stuck and muddled with Jim who never seemed to get to grips with the team after he started fiddling with the midfield at great expense. Agreed that Keane still had an opportunity but he had more of a momentum problem and just wasn't the manager to turn that around - put simply, I think that initial winless start put the team and him on the defensive far too quickly.

Jewell was ridiculous though. He didn't just bloat the squad with old, expensive players he chopped and changed his overall approach several times so we ended up with a squad that had little going for it in any particular direction.

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:19 - Oct 10 with 1923 viewsChurchman

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:58 - Oct 10 by Darth_Koont

We were a bit stuck and muddled with Jim who never seemed to get to grips with the team after he started fiddling with the midfield at great expense. Agreed that Keane still had an opportunity but he had more of a momentum problem and just wasn't the manager to turn that around - put simply, I think that initial winless start put the team and him on the defensive far too quickly.

Jewell was ridiculous though. He didn't just bloat the squad with old, expensive players he chopped and changed his overall approach several times so we ended up with a squad that had little going for it in any particular direction.

Jim wanted to do so well. It was a shame. When it was going well (that thumping series of home wins) he looked ok. It was when it wasn’t he appeared to struggle and his grip appeared to slip. Could he have made a manager? Subsequent tries suggest not but that may be as much the club’s (QPR for example) as him. Overall, I think not. But he was better than the idiots that followed (bar MM and PL)

When Keane took the job I didn’t think the team needed too much doing to it. Much the same as shorty numbskull Hurst. But he went though the club and team like a bad curry and I think it’s that which doomed him from the start.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:36 - Oct 10 with 1902 viewsDarth_Koont

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:19 - Oct 10 by Churchman

Jim wanted to do so well. It was a shame. When it was going well (that thumping series of home wins) he looked ok. It was when it wasn’t he appeared to struggle and his grip appeared to slip. Could he have made a manager? Subsequent tries suggest not but that may be as much the club’s (QPR for example) as him. Overall, I think not. But he was better than the idiots that followed (bar MM and PL)

When Keane took the job I didn’t think the team needed too much doing to it. Much the same as shorty numbskull Hurst. But he went though the club and team like a bad curry and I think it’s that which doomed him from the start.

It's ironic that despite many people complaining about Evans's perceived lack of investment it's always been when we've spent extra money that we've gone backwards.

Magilton, Keane, Jewell and Hurst accelerated our slide whenever they spent money. McCarthy built us back up (points and/or squad value) when he had to work with budget limitations and the squad he had. It's a consistent pattern over a number of managers and transfer windows that even suggests not investing more in January 2015 wasn't necessarily a missed opportunity - certainly not a clearcut miss anyway.

Remains to be seen how Lambert will do. Inheriting Hurst's shambles and now in League One makes it difficult to assess how well he's doing with money. Here's hoping we'll see how he does in the Championship next year - although there's a good argument for building that team down here by picking up a player or two of KVY's ability and developing our youngsters rather than giving him a big Championship budget to start messing things up.

badabing on 09:42 - Oct 10 with 1893 viewsDyland

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 14:22 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

Opinion - Roy Keane. For where we were at the time and the new optimism and platform he had to build on For pissing away our then finanacial advantage.And for being a thoroughly unpleasant and badly matched individual.

Hurst was absolutely rubbish of course, but much of the damage had been done by then and we were only hanging on by the grace of Mick's ability to slog out a result now and then.

It was and always will be Royston Keano.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:44 - Oct 10 with 1902 viewsDyland

Anyone voting for anyone other than Keane, Jewell or Hurst should fess up so we know not to take any of their posts seriously, ever ever ever.

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:52 - Oct 10 with 1882 viewsDarth_Koont

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 09:44 - Oct 10 by Dyland

Anyone voting for anyone other than Keane, Jewell or Hurst should fess up so we know not to take any of their posts seriously, ever ever ever.

Indeed. Seems to be around 10% who fall into that category.

Which fits in with my theory that 1 in 10 people are idiots by choice and a drain on their fellow human beings.

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 10:17 - Oct 10 with 1860 viewsSwailsey

This. I’d be tempted to narrow it down to Jewell or Hurst, as much as I hate Keane.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 10:25 - Oct 10 with 1849 viewsSuperblue95

The two people voting for a man who took us to 5th in the Prem and not any of the list of managers who have failed to get us back up since (in particular the 3 you mention) should be banned from all football related activities forever

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 10:28 - Oct 10 with 1842 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 10:25 - Oct 10 by Superblue95

The two people voting for a man who took us to 5th in the Prem and not any of the list of managers who have failed to get us back up since (in particular the 3 you mention) should be banned from all football related activities forever

I’m inclined to believe those votes were a joke

That said Burley did take us backwards when all was said and done... 😇

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 11:03 - Oct 10 with 1821 viewsPJH

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 10:28 - Oct 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m inclined to believe those votes were a joke

That said Burley did take us backwards when all was said and done... 😇

As has been said there are only three possible candidates and Burley is certainly not one of them.

He was in charge for two of our four ever relegation's from the top division although the first of his was way beyond his control.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 12:18 - Oct 10 with 1798 viewsChurchman

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 11:03 - Oct 10 by PJH

As has been said there are only three possible candidates and Burley is certainly not one of them.

He was in charge for two of our four ever relegation's from the top division although the first of his was way beyond his control.

No, GB isn’t. Despite his dreadful last season we saw some exciting times and great football during his time. He brought in and developed some really good players too. The club had its ‘identity’.

I think a little honourable mention should go to John Duncan. He was hopeless and his side played awful football. I remember him shuffling around the pitch just before the start of his first game with a little piece of paper talking to the players. Their faces said ‘wtf’. We lost. There were some ghastly, hopeless performances in his time. A measure of his ineptitude was that 2 seasons after he went, John Lyall got us promoted with many of the same players.

However, hapless Duncan still isn’t in the same league of awfulness as the abject threesome.
Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 12:21 - Oct 10 with 1795 viewsBrixtonBlue

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 08:12 - Oct 10 by Darth_Koont

I'd dispute that. I reckon Keane wasted more of Evans' kids' inheritance than Jewell, though there's probably not much in it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 12:25 - Oct 10 with 1790 viewsSuperblue95

Worst Manager since Sir Bobby (opinion, not stats) on 12:21 - Oct 10 by BrixtonBlue

I'd dispute that. I reckon Keane wasted more of Evans' kids' inheritance than Jewell, though there's probably not much in it.

Keane probably spent more on fees but I reckon Jewell splurged more in wages.

The likes of Bullard and Bowyer must have been on ridiculous money

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 12:28 - Oct 10 with 1784 viewsDyland

Mick has more votes than Jewell..... on 21:41 - Oct 9 by Mach_foreignBlue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024