Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quailty Centre Back 09:52 - Jul 31 with 3927 viewsWickets

Badly needed if we are going to mount a promotion push . OK so i'm stating the obvious .
Quailty Centre Back on 09:57 - Jul 31 with 3081 viewsElderGrizzly

Wasn’t Nsiala in the L1 team of the year, alongside Nolan too in their Shrewsbury days?
Quailty Centre Back on 09:59 - Jul 31 with 3067 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Quailty Centre Back on 09:57 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

Wasn’t Nsiala in the L1 team of the year, alongside Nolan too in their Shrewsbury days?

How long is he out for?

If we can get back the injured and suspended players we have enough.

However, we are likely to pick up injuries and suspensions over the season. We could do with a CB and a striker, even if they are window-to-window loans (much as Lambert doesn't want to go that route).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Quailty Centre Back on 10:05 - Jul 31 with 3044 viewsjudespiveyg

Chambers and Wolf, Toto when he's fit. No team needs four first team centre halves. I'm happy with the centre back situation.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Quailty Centre Back on 10:05 - Jul 31 with 3040 viewsWickets

Quailty Centre Back on 09:57 - Jul 31 by ElderGrizzly

My post was not meant to be a criticism of any of our players .
Quailty Centre Back on 10:15 - Jul 31 with 3008 viewsBlueBadger

Quailty Centre Back on 10:05 - Jul 31 by judespiveyg

Chambers and Wolf, Toto when he's fit. No team needs four first team centre halves. I'm happy with the centre back situation.

One who is getting no younger, another essentially unproven and the other one is rubbish. Christ.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Quailty Centre Back on 10:21 - Jul 31 with 2987 viewsWallingford_Boy

Quailty Centre Back on 10:15 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

One who is getting no younger, another essentially unproven and the other one is rubbish. Christ.

Toto is just 27, Woolfie had an excellent season at L2 and looked more than comfortable in Championship previous season, Chambo is certainly past his best, but is our leader and will be much needed to get us out of this league.

RIP Sir Bobby

Quailty Centre Back on 10:21 - Jul 31 with 2984 viewsBloomBlue

But youngsters will always be unproven unless you play them as SBR said
Quailty Centre Back on 10:23 - Jul 31 with 2977 viewsBlueBadger

Quailty Centre Back on 10:21 - Jul 31 by Wallingford_Boy

Toto is just 27, Woolfie had an excellent season at L2 and looked more than comfortable in Championship previous season, Chambo is certainly past his best, but is our leader and will be much needed to get us out of this league.

At this point, Chambers is comfortably the pick of the bunch.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Quailty Centre Back on 10:24 - Jul 31 with 2973 viewsCoastalblue

Genuine question, and not intended as a dig, how much did you see of Nsiala last season? You appear to be one of his harshest critics on here, but in my view we had far worse performers on a regular basis.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Quailty Centre Back on 10:27 - Jul 31 with 2967 viewsSwansea_Blue

As mentioned above, Toto was actually very good in this league last time he was in it. I know we saew scant evidence of that last year, and he's now in a different team surrounded by different team mates, but I'm still clutching that straw!

I'm not getting carried away though - I actually think most of our players are nowhere near as good as people think they are (or think they will be), and that includes the likes of Judge, Teddy, Nolan, etc. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quailty Centre Back on 10:30 - Jul 31 with 2959 viewsBlueBadger

Quailty Centre Back on 10:24 - Jul 31 by Coastalblue

Genuine question, and not intended as a dig, how much did you see of Nsiala last season? You appear to be one of his harshest critics on here, but in my view we had far worse performers on a regular basis.

Early season performances mostly. I basically gave up on watching us in the flesh by about mid-October last season given that we weren't winning and I couldn't see where we WERE going to win.
Nsiala always struck me as being seconds away from a ridiculous mistake or a reckless lunge that would put us into trouble.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 12:23]

Quailty Centre Back on 10:34 - Jul 31 with 2944 viewsSuperfrans

The issue with this (and I acknowledge that i also have my reservations) is that, when fit, we already have Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden. If there is any point having him, Woolfie has to be competing for a starting place this season, and we have Chambers and Nsiala in there too.

An additional experience CB risks blocking Woolfie's route into the first team.

IMHO, the only reason this is an issue is because neither Nsiala nor Chambers can play on Saturday. But we can't sign a player for 1/2 matches.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Quailty Centre Back on 10:36 - Jul 31 with 2928 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Erm, technically it's 3 who are getting no younger ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Quailty Centre Back on 10:36 - Jul 31 with 2926 viewsCoastalblue

Quailty Centre Back on 10:30 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

Early season performances mostly. I basically gave up on watching us in the flesh by about mid-October last season given that we weren't winning and I couldn't see where we WERE going to win.
Nsiala always struck me as being seconds away from a ridiculous mistake or a reckless lunge that would put us into trouble.

He does look like he has a ricket in him, I'll agree with that, but I also think in a settled defence that's not getting battered every week and watching cleared balls come straight back like they're on a bit of elastic tied to our goal he'll be quite competent at this level.

Not outstanding, but competent.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

Quailty Centre Back on 10:40 - Jul 31 with 2906 viewsBlueBadger

Quailty Centre Back on 10:36 - Jul 31 by Coastalblue

He does look like he has a ricket in him, I'll agree with that, but I also think in a settled defence that's not getting battered every week and watching cleared balls come straight back like they're on a bit of elastic tied to our goal he'll be quite competent at this level.

Not outstanding, but competent.

'Quite at competent at League One'

This is where we're at.

Quailty Centre Back on 11:02 - Jul 31 with 2871 viewsitfcjoe

Quailty Centre Back on 10:34 - Jul 31 by Superfrans

The issue with this (and I acknowledge that i also have my reservations) is that, when fit, we already have Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden. If there is any point having him, Woolfie has to be competing for a starting place this season, and we have Chambers and Nsiala in there too.

An additional experience CB risks blocking Woolfie's route into the first team.

IMHO, the only reason this is an issue is because neither Nsiala nor Chambers can play on Saturday. But we can't sign a player for 1/2 matches.

Yep, I think a CB of the profile of our 2 trialists is what I expect.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Quailty Centre Back on 11:53 - Jul 31 with 2780 viewsCoastalblue

Quailty Centre Back on 10:40 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

'Quite at competent at League One'

This is where we're at.

Sad to say, but.....

Quailty Centre Back on 11:57 - Jul 31 with 2772 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Quailty Centre Back on 10:30 - Jul 31 by BlueBadger

Glory hunter!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Quailty Centre Back on 12:22 - Jul 31 with 2718 viewsBlueBadger

Quailty Centre Back on 11:57 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Glory hunter!

To be honest, never mind glory, I'd settle for being a 'midtable Championship hunter' right now.

Quailty Centre Back on 13:33 - Jul 31 with 2615 viewsWickets

Doesn't look as though i am stating the obvious in some posters view but lots of games coming thick and fast so no need for any young player to be overlooked or held back and we go into the first game minus 2 centre backs so that shows what could happen . I think PL must share my concern as he has two on trial at the moment ,not sure either fits the bill but happy to be proved wrong .
Quailty Centre Back on 13:44 - Jul 31 with 2583 viewsclive_baker

Don't disagree Wickets, but who might that be? Given we're not likely to be paying fees, I don't know who is available, fit, on sub £8k a week and wants to come here. A few names I've heard mentioned:

Liam Ridgewell - Experienced, would play a Collins type role and take some weight of Chambers' shoulders. No doubt great for the likes of Ndaba and Woolfenden. Definite question marks around fitness though, hasn't played much football in recent years.

Greg Halford - As above really. I'm sure a move here would appeal, not too far from family etc. Versatile, can play centrally or RB. I just wonder if he's any better than what we've got.

It's a tough one, going with expecting Woolfenden to be able to play in the absence of Chambers & Nsiala is a bold call but it might prove to be inspired. He needs to be given the opportunity at some stage if he's to make it, and I've really liked what I've seen of him in the past. Donaicen is a question mark too, there's talk of him offering cover centrally, but I'm not sure what to make of him. He's a bit of an enigma, but I'm starting to think he's perhaps just not a very good footballer.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Quailty Centre Back on 14:17 - Jul 31 with 2526 viewsSuperfrans

Quailty Centre Back on 13:44 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

Don't disagree Wickets, but who might that be? Given we're not likely to be paying fees, I don't know who is available, fit, on sub £8k a week and wants to come here. A few names I've heard mentioned:

Liam Ridgewell - Experienced, would play a Collins type role and take some weight of Chambers' shoulders. No doubt great for the likes of Ndaba and Woolfenden. Definite question marks around fitness though, hasn't played much football in recent years.

Greg Halford - As above really. I'm sure a move here would appeal, not too far from family etc. Versatile, can play centrally or RB. I just wonder if he's any better than what we've got.

It's a tough one, going with expecting Woolfenden to be able to play in the absence of Chambers & Nsiala is a bold call but it might prove to be inspired. He needs to be given the opportunity at some stage if he's to make it, and I've really liked what I've seen of him in the past. Donaicen is a question mark too, there's talk of him offering cover centrally, but I'm not sure what to make of him. He's a bit of an enigma, but I'm starting to think he's perhaps just not a very good footballer.

I really can't see us paying anywhere near a salary of £8k a week in League 1 for a 3rd or 4th choice CB. Fact is Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden and our first 3 CBs this season. Anyone else coming in is going to be on £2/3k absolute maximum pw, aren't they?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Quailty Centre Back on 14:23 - Jul 31 with 2493 viewsclive_baker

Quailty Centre Back on 14:17 - Jul 31 by Superfrans

I really can't see us paying anywhere near a salary of £8k a week in League 1 for a 3rd or 4th choice CB. Fact is Chambers, Nsiala and Woolfenden and our first 3 CBs this season. Anyone else coming in is going to be on £2/3k absolute maximum pw, aren't they?

I think to meet the remit of 'quality centre back' i.e. nailed on started, we would be looking at that sort of money, but as I said I can't see who that player would be.

Agree if we're talking about filling a gap as a backup then yes, significantly less.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Quailty Centre Back on 14:30 - Jul 31 with 2454 viewsCoastalblue

Quailty Centre Back on 14:23 - Jul 31 by clive_baker

I think to meet the remit of 'quality centre back' i.e. nailed on started, we would be looking at that sort of money, but as I said I can't see who that player would be.

Agree if we're talking about filling a gap as a backup then yes, significantly less.

and if we think we're just filling a squad place as back up then surely one of the two currently on trial have to be considered. Strong possibility they would play less than a dozen games.

Quailty Centre Back on 14:38 - Jul 31 with 2422 viewsWestcountryblue

If Chamo wasn't suspended or Nsiala out for another 5 weeks or so, i'd feel confident with those 2 and Woolfenden. Donancien would be my 4th choice CB. Therefore, all we'd need to bring in would be a right back and we'd be completely covered.

Wishful thinking, but a phone call to Tommy Smith might be an idea ?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2019 14:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024