Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible 18:31 - Jul 9 with 11510 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been critical of JC over Europe but a new vote, knowing what we know now, is the right decision. Took him a while but I'm happy he's got here.

I'm obviously in favour of Remain, which Labour now are, but a new vote just seems right.

"Jeremy Corbyn has challenged the next Tory leader to hold another referendum before taking Britain out of the EU, saying Labour will campaign for Remain."

Don't believe the fake news:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48919695

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:13 - Jul 9 with 2663 viewsWD19

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:28 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

Well, there goes any hope of keeping this thread on the straight and narrow...

To be fair to the OP, it probably needed a sharp change of direction anyway because the original content wasn’t landing quite how he hoped....
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:33 - Jul 9 with 2638 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:37 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

I don't know what you're saying on your first point? Are you saying I have been hitherto less vocal about the Brexit Party than I have about Labour? Because that's clearly just made up bollox. I'm widely reviled on this site for mercilessly mocking and abusing the Brexit Party and their followers.

Your second point just isn't true. It makes me wonder whether you've actually read the article, or at least understood the context.

Please clarify, without the shouting this time. Be nice.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 20:49]

It wasn't shouting, it was emphasis. I just couldn't be arsed to do the italics thing.

I mean, I dunno what else to say. Yes you've been anti-Brexit Party, but we're talking about the context of being in power. I don't think you've ever seriously thought about the context of the Brexit Party being in power, or commented on such.

Regarding point 2 we'll have to agree to disagree. The BBC lead with "Brexit: Labour to back Remain." Seems pretty definitive from the Beeb, dunno why you're saying it isn't true.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:38 - Jul 9 with 2628 viewsDubtractor

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:55 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

"This is a man for pretty much his whole political career has campaigned against our membership of the EU "

You got any evidence for this? Feel free to post it...

Brief snapshot from wikipedia. Didn't take too long to find!

edit. This has already been posted I see,

In the 1975 European Communities referendum put forward by the Labour Party in the United Kingdom, Corbyn opposed Britain's membership of the EEC.[207] Corbyn also opposed the ratification of the Maastricht Treaty in 1993, saying: "... the whole basis of the Maastricht treaty is the establishment of a European central bank which is staffed by bankers, independent of national Governments and national economic policies, and whose sole policy is the maintenance of price stability[.] That will undermine any social objective that any Labour Government in the United Kingdom–or any other Government–would wish to carry out. ... The Maastricht treaty does not take us in the direction of the checks and balances contained in the American federal constitution[.] It takes us in the opposite direction of an unelected legislative body–the [European] Commission–and, in the case of foreign policy, a policy Commission that will be, in effect, imposing foreign policy on nation states that have fought for their own democratic accountability".[208][209][210]

We have a European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody, powers have gone from national parliaments - they haven't gone to the European Parliament, they've gone to the Commission and to some extent the Council of Ministers. These are quite serious matters.

– Jeremy Corbyn views on the European Union in 1996, Labour Party conference, 1996 [211]
Corbyn also opposed the Lisbon Treaty in 2008[212] and backed a proposed referendum on British withdrawal from the European Union in 2011.[213] Additionally, he accused the institution of acting "brutally" in the 2015 Greek crisis, accusing the EU of allowing financiers to destroy its economy.[214][215]

In July 2015, Corbyn said that if Prime Minister David Cameron negotiated away workers' rights and environmental protection as part of his renegotiation of Britain's membership of the European Union (EU), he would not rule out advocating for a British exit in a proposed referendum on EU membership,[216] and that he was in favour of leaving the EU if it became a "totally brutal organisation". Pro-European Labour MPs and campaigners expressed fear that Corbyn's lukewarm attitude towards the EU would convince Labour voters towards withdrawa
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 21:40]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:39 - Jul 9 with 2626 viewssparks

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:33 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

It wasn't shouting, it was emphasis. I just couldn't be arsed to do the italics thing.

I mean, I dunno what else to say. Yes you've been anti-Brexit Party, but we're talking about the context of being in power. I don't think you've ever seriously thought about the context of the Brexit Party being in power, or commented on such.

Regarding point 2 we'll have to agree to disagree. The BBC lead with "Brexit: Labour to back Remain." Seems pretty definitive from the Beeb, dunno why you're saying it isn't true.

You havent read the article have you?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:40 - Jul 9 with 2623 viewsElderGrizzly

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:33 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

The BBC article is correct. Labour will back remain, BUT ONLY while in opposition.

A number of Labour MPs and one Union leader have been interviewed today and said Labour would support Leave if in Government, albeit a ‘soft brexit’ containing a customs union and only on a deal they have negotiated.

On both they would go to a Peoples Vote.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2019 21:41]
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 23:48 - Jul 9 with 2551 viewsHerbivore

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:34 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

Labour are now a remain party. That is clear.

I admire your honesty in your second para.

They aren't a remain party at all. It a GE took place tomorrow they'd be campaigning on negotiating a Brexit deal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 01:19 - Jul 10 with 2538 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:39 - Jul 9 by sparks

You havent read the article have you?

Yes I have. Poor from you. You're normally better than cheap digs. Me having a different opinion doesn't mean I haven't read the thing.

All I can hope is you're having an off day.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 04:21 - Jul 10 with 2505 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:18 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

There's no sharpness from me. I asked you two very direct questions, which aren't answered elsewhere in the thread.

"Everyone's telling me Labour won't win the next General Election, so what's your problem? "

If you believe Labour won't win the next Election, which you've stated pretty clearly, why are you opposed to their position having won it?

"You'd rather what we have now than Labour going back to the public?!"

Again, a genuine question, which you haven't answered elsewhere, unless I've missed it.

Because their complete inability to get a coherent Brexit message across is a very telling symptom of their ongoing dysfunction and incompetence. That doesn’t appear to have changed today - their announcement clearly does not position them as a remain party for the reasons others have outlined on this thread, and appeal to no one except those automatically programmed to lap up anything Corbyn does

All this when the current government is an absolute sh*tshow, have been driving significant austerity measures which have had a huge negative impact on the country and are seemingly about to be led by one of the worst chancers imaginable. And yet it looks increasingly possible that we will have to endure 5+ more years of Tory government due to Labours complete lack of opposition

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 04:28 - Jul 10 with 2494 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 19:34 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

Labour are now a remain party. That is clear.

I admire your honesty in your second para.

It quite clearly isn’t:

“In an interview with the BBC's John Pienaar, Mr Corbyn said Labour was now the "party of choice" when it came to Brexit”

Straight from the horses mouth, in the article you linked

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 06:47 - Jul 10 with 2464 viewsBlueBadger

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 21:13 - Jul 9 by WD19

To be fair to the OP, it probably needed a sharp change of direction anyway because the original content wasn’t landing quite how he hoped....

I don't why he's thinking the reaction is going to be any different in the evening to what it is in teh morning when he first tried, tbh. It was a bag-of-a-fag-packet mess then and it still is now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 06:48 - Jul 10 with 2469 viewsBlueBadger

Is 'brilliant' some kind of hipster London speak for 'confusing, garbled, bag-of-a-fag-packet mess'?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 6:48]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 07:13 - Jul 10 with 2442 viewsgordon

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:28 - Jul 9 by SpruceMoose

Well, there goes any hope of keeping this thread on the straight and narrow...

The tone and manner of the OP is actually eerily similar to the giddy delusion of GlasgowBlue in the aftermath of the referendum vote, when he was in his 'Get Behind Your Country' phase.
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 08:17 - Jul 10 with 2417 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:27 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

The party you voted for has ruined this country. You ought to be utterly ashamed.

I guess all is well at Glasgow Towers, so you don't care.

Some of us do.

Oh Dollers you seem to have had a humour bypass.

I would imagine that some time after 9pm this evening one of us shall be utterly ashamed how we voted. But it won’t be me.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 08:17 - Jul 10 with 2416 viewswrightsrightglove

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 04:21 - Jul 10 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Because their complete inability to get a coherent Brexit message across is a very telling symptom of their ongoing dysfunction and incompetence. That doesn’t appear to have changed today - their announcement clearly does not position them as a remain party for the reasons others have outlined on this thread, and appeal to no one except those automatically programmed to lap up anything Corbyn does

All this when the current government is an absolute sh*tshow, have been driving significant austerity measures which have had a huge negative impact on the country and are seemingly about to be led by one of the worst chancers imaginable. And yet it looks increasingly possible that we will have to endure 5+ more years of Tory government due to Labours complete lack of opposition

This.

Poor opposition breeds poor leadership. This conservative government should have been dead and buried a long time ago by a dynamic party offering an alternative to what we've currently got, an inept and self-serving group of politicians. That's not defending the conservatives who have been appalling in power, but the opposition has allowed them to maintain that power when, with strong leadership and a clear direction, Labour would be very firmly in power by now.
Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 08:21 - Jul 10 with 2406 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 07:13 - Jul 10 by gordon

The tone and manner of the OP is actually eerily similar to the giddy delusion of GlasgowBlue in the aftermath of the referendum vote, when he was in his 'Get Behind Your Country' phase.

A slight misrepresentation of what I said actually. And I remember it very well.

The day after the referendum when doom merchants like you were all “woe is me” and “were going into a recession” I said that rather than wallowing in self pity we should get behind the U.K. economy to negate any adverse effects if the vote. Continue with any major purchases planned, if you are buying or selling a house continue to do so.

It worked. We didn’t go into a recession. Had the British public acted like you and went into blub mode we’d have been fcuked. As it is most people went about their business as if nothing had happened.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 8:27]

Iron Lion Zion

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 08:42 - Jul 10 with 2368 viewsitfcjoe

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 23:48 - Jul 9 by Herbivore

They aren't a remain party at all. It a GE took place tomorrow they'd be campaigning on negotiating a Brexit deal.

Nail. On. The. Head.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 09:12 - Jul 10 with 2345 viewschicoazul

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 20:12 - Jul 9 by BrixtonBlue

"In July 2015, Corbyn said that if Prime Minister David Cameron negotiated away workers' rights and environmental protection as part of his renegotiation of Britain's membership of the European Union (EU), he would not rule out advocating for a British exit in a proposed referendum on EU membership,[216] and that he was in favour of leaving the EU if it became a "totally brutal organisation".

Can't see a problem with that. Well said.

Don't go changing, Jerseys.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:25 - Jul 10 with 2305 viewsfooters

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 08:21 - Jul 10 by GlasgowBlue

A slight misrepresentation of what I said actually. And I remember it very well.

The day after the referendum when doom merchants like you were all “woe is me” and “were going into a recession” I said that rather than wallowing in self pity we should get behind the U.K. economy to negate any adverse effects if the vote. Continue with any major purchases planned, if you are buying or selling a house continue to do so.

It worked. We didn’t go into a recession. Had the British public acted like you and went into blub mode we’d have been fcuked. As it is most people went about their business as if nothing had happened.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 8:27]

No, we'd have been fcked had the BoE not taken the steps it did to mitigate the effects of the vote. Had the BoE not gone into 'blub mode' itself then we may have been a lot worse off.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:41 - Jul 10 with 2274 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:25 - Jul 10 by footers

No, we'd have been fcked had the BoE not taken the steps it did to mitigate the effects of the vote. Had the BoE not gone into 'blub mode' itself then we may have been a lot worse off.

That is opinion. I’m merely correcting Gordon on what I said the day after the referendum.

Iron Lion Zion

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:42 - Jul 10 with 2270 viewsfooters

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:41 - Jul 10 by GlasgowBlue

That is opinion. I’m merely correcting Gordon on what I said the day after the referendum.

Oh ok then. Btw, I'm all for Brexit now anyway. I've seen the light!

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 14:57 - Jul 10 with 2183 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 10:41 - Jul 10 by GlasgowBlue

Haha, priceless.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:02 - Jul 10 with 2162 viewsfooters

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 14:57 - Jul 10 by BrixtonBlue

Haha, priceless.

Stop complaining and go out and buy a new telly.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:03 - Jul 10 with 2158 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:02 - Jul 10 by footers

Stop complaining and go out and buy a new telly.

And throw it through the window of your nearest Polish cornershop. That'll show 'em!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:06 - Jul 10 with 2152 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 09:12 - Jul 10 by chicoazul

Don't go changing, Jerseys.

A pisstake from you is like a compliment. You're the dumbest poster on TWTD, and I include Benters in that.

I can only hope that you're quite old.

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:08 - Jul 10 with 2143 viewsSpruceMoose

Brilliant by Labour. This is what we need and utterly sensible on 15:06 - Jul 10 by BrixtonBlue

A pisstake from you is like a compliment. You're the dumbest poster on TWTD, and I include Benters in that.

I can only hope that you're quite old.

"You're the dumbest poster on TWTD"

Now, I like a ruck with Chico as much as the next man, but that is a silly claim.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024