Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- 09:32 - Jun 29 with 10505 viewssparks

but it kept me up last night with the noise... So I watched bits.

Dont get "Stormzy" at all. Modern rap music is so uninspired. The rhythms in the lyrics are monotonous and repetitive- and it seemed very hard to make out any of the lyrics.

Just noticed, however, that Wu Tang are playing today. Blimey. Maybe I should have gone.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:42 - Jun 29 with 4387 viewsmos

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:37 - Jun 29 by footers

To add that Dave is/was about 17 or something when he was writing lyrics like that. Doubt there are many better out there at the moment, regardless of genre.

He’s ridiculously clever.

Rap is never going to be a hit with a lot of people, however you should be able to appreciate the skill that goes into producing the lyrics for a rap song, and then delivering those lyrics too.

Dave’s wordplay is very interesting, and quite fascinating how he comes up with such things.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:54 - Jun 29 with 4365 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:35 - Jun 29 by mos

Well it’s all subjective.

His target audience is probably not people like yourself, and you can’t really say his Music is ‘uninspired’, some rappers especially a man called ‘Dave’ have an incredible amount of imaginitivity and in fact do create some great wordplay in their songs.

But I presume you will refuse to accept that, and won’t give them a chance, because you are stubborn.

WTF?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:56 - Jun 29 with 4364 viewsballycastle

I'm sure Hugo, Tabatha, Lottie, Rupert et al, really enjoyed the recital.
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:02 - Jun 29 with 4351 viewsfooters

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:56 - Jun 29 by ballycastle

I'm sure Hugo, Tabatha, Lottie, Rupert et al, really enjoyed the recital.

And the millions who were able to watch for free thanks to the BBC.

You really do have an odd way of looking at the world. It isn't healthy. You even said you found me funny. Worrying.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:13 - Jun 29 with 4327 viewsJakeITFC

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:33 - Jun 29 by sparks

Im sure it was excellent for many people. I think that ears and minds are trained to appreciate certain things though- and they are probably missing out on nuance. Though perhaps it is there, and I simply cant hear it.

Entertaining to see the broadsheets claiming its a 5 star performance though. The chances of broadsheet writers actually being sufficiently knowledgeable and into that genre strike me as limited...

Of course Stormzy himself is only one album deep and is mastering his craft as he goes.

Veterans of the scene like Ghetts and Wretch 32 have the ability to switch flows and navigate the beat in the way you describe of early 90s rap (although the general 140bpm of grime does lend itself to gunfire delivery as you suggest).
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:20 - Jun 29 with 4321 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:13 - Jun 29 by JakeITFC

Of course Stormzy himself is only one album deep and is mastering his craft as he goes.

Veterans of the scene like Ghetts and Wretch 32 have the ability to switch flows and navigate the beat in the way you describe of early 90s rap (although the general 140bpm of grime does lend itself to gunfire delivery as you suggest).

Its interesting to note that early British rap tended to be breakneck speed stuff as well.

From Silver Bullet, through to Gunshot et al. Whilst O owned a lot of that stuff, it never quite excited me as more nuanced stuff did. After a while, the noise washed over me.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 12:25]

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:34 - Jun 29 with 4305 viewsJ2BLUE

He put on a good show but the music isn't for me.

Obviously it's his set and he can do what he likes, no one made me watch, but the god stuff makes me uncomfortable. "Give god all the glory" and then singing the song about the grace of god. i find it very odd from someone so connected to Grenfell.

Each to their own though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:45 - Jun 29 with 4283 viewsjeera

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 11:54 - Jun 29 by sparks

WTF?

Mos pops up every now and then to tell people 3-4 times his age how the world works.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:45 - Jun 29 with 4283 viewsjeera

He doesn't even spell his name with an 's'.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:49 - Jun 29 with 4276 viewscrunchie1978

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 09:58 - Jun 29 by Steve_M

Interpol were excellent yesterday, well worth a look on iPlayer later.

I'm now watching them.....superb!
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:12 - Jun 29 with 4259 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I like this. Don't know if it was one of many that got a shout out last night...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:13 - Jun 29 with 4251 viewsballycastle

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:02 - Jun 29 by footers

And the millions who were able to watch for free thanks to the BBC.

You really do have an odd way of looking at the world. It isn't healthy. You even said you found me funny. Worrying.

Sorry Hugo.
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:14 - Jun 29 with 4246 viewsfooters

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:13 - Jun 29 by ballycastle

Sorry Hugo.

No problem, Kev.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:26 - Jun 29 with 4232 viewsJakeITFC

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 13:12 - Jun 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

I like this. Don't know if it was one of many that got a shout out last night...

Yes he was.

Plays one of the stages at around 4 this afternoon.
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 14:00 - Jun 29 with 4189 viewsmos

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 12:45 - Jun 29 by jeera

Mos pops up every now and then to tell people 3-4 times his age how the world works.

Whereas people 3-4 times my age are making sweeping statements about a genre of music that they know very little about and refuse to appreciate the talent and skill that is involved in the production of the music.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 14:52 - Jun 29 with 4152 viewsITFC_Forever

When are the Levellers on?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 15:04 - Jun 29 with 4148 viewsFtnfwest

Will be having a look at Janet Jackson later just to see what she’s like these days but otherwise nothing I’m bothered about. I’ve always been into the musicality rather than having some sort of message rammed down my throat so never liked rap music but it’s very popular with many so each to their own.
I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 15:06 - Jun 29 with 4147 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 14:00 - Jun 29 by mos

Whereas people 3-4 times my age are making sweeping statements about a genre of music that they know very little about and refuse to appreciate the talent and skill that is involved in the production of the music.

I think you are making some rather crass assumptions about people who know vastly more than you about the origins, history and substance of the music over a considerable time period...

Bonus points to the first person to identify the silver bullet sample "20 seconds to comply".
[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 15:07]

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 15:47 - Jun 29 with 4110 viewsDubtractor

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 15:06 - Jun 29 by sparks

I think you are making some rather crass assumptions about people who know vastly more than you about the origins, history and substance of the music over a considerable time period...

Bonus points to the first person to identify the silver bullet sample "20 seconds to comply".
[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 15:07]

Robocop.

Too easy.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 15:48]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:00 - Jun 29 with 4104 viewsBigManBlue

Re. the whole Stormzy debate - I basically agree that he's pretty good, but the beats and delivery are a bit too one-note for my tastes personally. It's like modern art, the football of Big Sam, or early Swans - I can appreciate that it's achieving what it sets out to do, and to people who enjoy that kind of aesthetic then it it's great - but I'd rather have Special Ed, Eyedea or Lowkey any day.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:19 - Jun 29 with 4065 viewssparks

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 15:47 - Jun 29 by Dubtractor

Robocop.

Too easy.

[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 15:48]

And yet edited :-)

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:22 - Jun 29 with 4060 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 14:52 - Jun 29 by ITFC_Forever

When are the Levellers on?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:34 - Jun 29 with 4045 viewsDubtractor

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:19 - Jun 29 by sparks

And yet edited :-)

Ha. No, I was trying to add a pic of Ed209 but it failed so I gave up!

One of my favourite scenes of any film ever.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:35 - Jun 29 with 4046 viewsEwan_Oozami

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 10:18 - Jun 29 by hoppy

I read that in the style of Johnny the shoe shine guy...

"What's the word on the street, Johnny?"

Up there with Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers and Blackadder in my book

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:52 - Jun 29 with 4023 viewsITFC_Forever

I have no real interest in Glastonbury- on 16:22 - Jun 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

I’m a bit late then.

In all seriousness, the Levs website was streaming the footage of their 1994 headline set for 24 hours yesterday. That’s when Glastonbury was proper.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2019 18:17]

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024