Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Speeding and wrist slapping 20:06 - Jun 8 with 11901 viewswkj

Has anyone ever been zapped by a group of village people, not those ones, while driving? Apparently on bank holiday Monday I got caught doing 32 in a 30 at the bottom of a hill by a pack of yellow vested villagers of a mature age.

Whilst speeding is speeding and I am not sympathetic when people get caught, it seems a bit expensive sending friendly reminders out to people who barely break the limit at such a weird place, I remember looking at the speedometer when I saw them and it said 30, so im skeptical such an informal system is entirely accurate.

Seems like a bit of a waste of money if you ask me.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 20:06]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:43 - Jun 9 with 4126 viewsNo9

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:41 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

Yeah the bloke in his Range Rover probably gets fined more in court because they’re means based.

If you take a look at some of the cases that isn't true.
Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:44 - Jun 9 with 4125 viewsPinewoodblue

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:41 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

Yeah the bloke in his Range Rover probably gets fined more in court because they’re means based.

Fixed penalty tickets are not means based.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Speeding and wrist slapping on 12:03 - Jun 9 with 4101 viewsclive_baker

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:44 - Jun 9 by Pinewoodblue

Fixed penalty tickets are not means based.

Hence the ‘in court’.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Speeding and wrist slapping on 12:11 - Jun 9 with 4092 viewsNo9

Speeding and wrist slapping on 12:03 - Jun 9 by clive_baker

Hence the ‘in court’.

Quite a lot of 'bikers' have gone to chokey for speeding - shoud that be a jailing offence?
How many speeding in class cars or Range Rovers have had the same sentence?
Speeding and wrist slapping on 12:42 - Jun 9 with 4078 viewssparks

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:38 - Jun 9 by No9

Speeding in the UK has become a class thing.
A well heeled senior bod in his class car Jag Range Rover etc gets treated diferently from an erk on a motorbike

Evidence for this?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 12:49 - Jun 9 with 4064 viewsjeera

On a slight side note, the Smiley Face/Sad Face sign always keeps me in check if I'm close to the mark.

I always feel bad at upsetting the little fella.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 12:54]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:22 - Jun 9 with 4029 viewsTrequartista

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:38 - Jun 9 by No9

Speeding in the UK has become a class thing.
A well heeled senior bod in his class car Jag Range Rover etc gets treated diferently from an erk on a motorbike

I have noticed some 20mph limits appear in Ipswich recently. Are they in poorer areas where cars are parked nose to tail on both sides of the road where even 20mph is probably too fast? No, they are in Berners St and leafy Constitution Hill.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 13:22]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:38 - Jun 9 with 4014 viewsjas0999

It’s very debatable whether you would get a fine for doing 32 in a 30 if-an authorised speed van caught you. Wouldn’t be worth the paperwork.
Login to get fewer ads

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:51 - Jun 9 with 4000 viewssparks

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:43 - Jun 9 by No9

Evidence for this please.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:58 - Jun 9 with 3994 viewsKievthegreat

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:07 - Jun 9 by wkj

If it becomes the case I would refute the accuracy in either my speedometer (8 month old car with digital speedo and no wheel size mods) or the gun. It was always my thought newer cars read slightly higher than the actual travelspeed, but that could be cobblers. It will I'm not anti public concern groups fyi just irritated that this happened given my driving philosophy

A speedo can display higher than the true speed up to 10% + 6.25 mph. A calibrated speedo should never read below your true speed. Manufacturers will add a fudge factor in to prevent the car being too close to not legal.

Example: if your speedo said 39.25 mph, you could actually be going only 30, but never 40mph. Assuming your car is working as required by law.

If you want an idea for how accurate your speedo is, compare it to your sat nav speed. Your sat nav will likely be more accurate, but there will be errors when going up or down hills.
Speeding and wrist slapping on 14:59 - Jun 9 with 3964 viewsNo9

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:51 - Jun 9 by sparks

Evidence for this please.

Read what I posted.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2019 15:07]
Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:04 - Jun 9 with 3961 viewsjeera

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:58 - Jun 9 by Kievthegreat

A speedo can display higher than the true speed up to 10% + 6.25 mph. A calibrated speedo should never read below your true speed. Manufacturers will add a fudge factor in to prevent the car being too close to not legal.

Example: if your speedo said 39.25 mph, you could actually be going only 30, but never 40mph. Assuming your car is working as required by law.

If you want an idea for how accurate your speedo is, compare it to your sat nav speed. Your sat nav will likely be more accurate, but there will be errors when going up or down hills.

"...sat nav will likely be more accurate, but there will be errors when going up or down hills."

Or, if anything like my Garmin, will only occasionally show you on the road at all.

Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:09 - Jun 9 with 3954 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Speeding and wrist slapping on 09:38 - Jun 9 by sparks

My tip is not to speed through small villages where kids, pets, disabled people etc are likely to be.

People get fed up of cars flying through and the police not dealing with it, so they volunteer for these community speedwatch teams. They have to be trained and provided with kit by the local police. If you get several warning letters, the police do take an interest...

My old house was on a wide straight hill through a village. People routinely went through at 40mph despite there being no pavement in parts, horses, kids, pets, elderly folk etc. 12 cats were killed in a year on that road- including 2 of ours.

Methinks you may have one of these...

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:14 - Jun 9 with 3947 viewsBinner

Speeding and wrist slapping on 13:58 - Jun 9 by Kievthegreat

Spot on.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:23 - Jun 9 with 3944 viewsjeera

Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:14 - Jun 9 by Binner

Spot on.

No, up to 10% + 6.25 mph.

You're not listening.

Some people...

Speeding and wrist slapping on 16:18 - Jun 9 with 3904 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:43 - Jun 9 by No9

You appear to have confused high paid lawyers finding loopholes with a court actually treating people differently

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 16:44 - Jun 9 with 3892 viewssparks

Speeding and wrist slapping on 15:09 - Jun 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Methinks you may have one of these...

Nope. But i can well understand why people do.

Speeding and wrist slapping on 19:39 - Jun 9 with 3827 viewsjeera

Speeding and wrist slapping on 16:44 - Jun 9 by sparks

I always keep one in the boot in case I break down/get a flat tyre in a precarious place.

That's dull but sensible I suppose.

Speeding and wrist slapping on 20:13 - Jun 9 with 3805 viewsbluelagos

Speeding and wrist slapping on 19:39 - Jun 9 by jeera

I always keep one in the boot in case I break down/get a flat tyre in a precarious place.

Thats the law in France. For bikers too, have to carry a hi-viz in case of brake down.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 20:21 - Jun 9 with 3797 viewsSwansea_Blue

Speeding and wrist slapping on 19:39 - Jun 9 by jeera

I’ve got 4, and 2 triangles, and a breathalyser kit, and spare bulbs. Get me! The France kit stays in the car all the time. Not because I’m organised, just because if I unpacked after our summer hols and put them in the garage I’d never find them again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 20:56 - Jun 9 with 3781 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Speeding and wrist slapping on 16:44 - Jun 9 by sparks

Yep that Macron is a wrong'un!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Speeding and wrist slapping on 09:53 - Jun 10 with 3727 viewsSouperJim

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:17 - Jun 9 by sparks

They have proper training and accurate kit. If they provide a witness statement confirming that it was used properly on a particular occasion, then there is no reasno why that could not be evidence for a prosecution.

I recently had a letter from a group of these claiming I was doing 45 in a 30 in my village on the way out to work one morning.

I can say with 100% certainty that I have never driven at that speed in my village. I even recall the exact morning in question because it just so happens my car was booked in for a service that morning and I was taking it to the garage prior to work. I had loads of time and was pootling along more casually than usual.

Giving amateurs the power to hand out tickets is a recipe for chaos.

Anybody who knowingly speeds in a residential area is scum in my book, but leave policing to the police.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Speeding and wrist slapping on 09:57 - Jun 10 with 3723 viewswkj

Speeding and wrist slapping on 09:53 - Jun 10 by SouperJim

I recently had a letter from a group of these claiming I was doing 45 in a 30 in my village on the way out to work one morning.

I can say with 100% certainty that I have never driven at that speed in my village. I even recall the exact morning in question because it just so happens my car was booked in for a service that morning and I was taking it to the garage prior to work. I had loads of time and was pootling along more casually than usual.

Giving amateurs the power to hand out tickets is a recipe for chaos.

Anybody who knowingly speeds in a residential area is scum in my book, but leave policing to the police.

This i agree with. Although Sparks has come out and said the kit is highly tuned and the people highly trained- I have plenty of finely tuned equipment in the car computer to say I wasn't going over 30mph, so something somewhere wasn't right, and my guess is the position they were doing their survey might hold the answer.

45 in a 30 is one hell of a discrepancy, and certainly not a speed I could see people willingly do in their own village, unless an utter git.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Speeding and wrist slapping on 10:10 - Jun 10 with 3710 viewsSouperJim

Speeding and wrist slapping on 09:57 - Jun 10 by wkj

This i agree with. Although Sparks has come out and said the kit is highly tuned and the people highly trained- I have plenty of finely tuned equipment in the car computer to say I wasn't going over 30mph, so something somewhere wasn't right, and my guess is the position they were doing their survey might hold the answer.

45 in a 30 is one hell of a discrepancy, and certainly not a speed I could see people willingly do in their own village, unless an utter git.

The letter they send out says where they "measured" your speed too, in my case going past a bus stop used by children on their way to school, my daughter included. I can say with 100% certainty I have never driven past it at 45mph. 35mph I would highly doubt but accept it was just about possible if the streets were empty that early and I wasn't watching my speedo, but 45, absolutely no chance whatsoever. I'm not even sure I could get my car up to 45 on that bit of road if I was actively trying, it bends, is narrow and has parked cars.

Maybe they caught someone else doing 45 and then put my registration against it in error. Who knows. But the idea that their word would be worth more than mine in court is quite worrying.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:12 - Jun 10 with 3680 viewsEwan_Oozami

Speeding and wrist slapping on 11:05 - Jun 9 by SpruceMoose

This is why all small villages should be compelled to build a flyover.

Now you're talking! I'd even have the Ipswich Northern Bypass going over my house - provided I get my own personal entry and exit slip roads in both directions of course.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024