Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam 10:37 - Jun 5 with 1993 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

Has Flynn shown more promise than Luke did at his stage of his career?

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 10:40 - Jun 5 with 1971 viewsBiGDonnie

I've always thought we held Hyam back trying to get him to play further forward. He's a harrier and that's it. Energy and strong in the tackle, would have done thrice the job Skuse has over the years.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 10:42 - Jun 5 with 1958 viewsTractorCam

Most definitely.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 10:45 - Jun 5 with 1943 viewsclive_baker

I think Downes is technically a better football than Hyam. Hyam was an ankle biter and put himself about a bit, and there's always some fans that let him off because he flies in late to a tackle in the centre circle to pick up a yellow. 'He's one of our own' and all that, but he never really looked like a Championship player to me. Didn't create a lot, offered little going forward and defensively he flattered to deceive - positioning wasn't great and nor was his use of the ball. Couple that with his injury record and it's no surprise he couldn't kick on here. I wish him luck but if I were a betting man I wouldn't think he'll ever play at that level again. Downes has more potential, I would really like to see him playing further forward and given licence to get forward because I think he's a pretty smart footballer and could in time be the goal scoring midfielder we've lacked for a long time.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 11:02 - Jun 5 with 1882 viewsParisBlue

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 10:45 - Jun 5 by clive_baker

I think Downes is technically a better football than Hyam. Hyam was an ankle biter and put himself about a bit, and there's always some fans that let him off because he flies in late to a tackle in the centre circle to pick up a yellow. 'He's one of our own' and all that, but he never really looked like a Championship player to me. Didn't create a lot, offered little going forward and defensively he flattered to deceive - positioning wasn't great and nor was his use of the ball. Couple that with his injury record and it's no surprise he couldn't kick on here. I wish him luck but if I were a betting man I wouldn't think he'll ever play at that level again. Downes has more potential, I would really like to see him playing further forward and given licence to get forward because I think he's a pretty smart footballer and could in time be the goal scoring midfielder we've lacked for a long time.

He was very good for the first 3-4 months of the 14/15 season before his injury at Charlton at the end of November.

The 1-0 win at home to Watford is one of my favourite memories of the MM era and he was excellent that day. Really tough game, 1-0 win, and sadly the beginning of Jonny Williams injuries after being taken out by a Watford defender.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:07 - Jun 5 with 1710 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:11 - Jun 5 with 1682 viewsflimflam

Downes is superior to Hyam in every way possible.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:40 - Jun 5 with 1641 viewsitfcjoe

He has shown more, evidence by being in the England squads when they are very technical teams.

I think Hyam was a bit underrated here, he had the drive that would often set the standards and pull the team with it - but he wasn't technically good enough to really kick on with it. Great energy, covered the pitch brilliantly and always in position to receive an easy ball and relieve the pressure from a team mate - unfortunately that meant he was then on the ball and not able to use it as well as he needed to

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:42 - Jun 5 with 1631 viewsunstableblue

Flynn has only really 'owned' a couple of games... and if I contrast those with Hyam's better performances (which were sporadic, and to be fair to him in a dysfunctional centre mid player selection), e.g. Wigan away some years back - Downes is by far the better player in terms of passing range, vision and technical execution.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:51 - Jun 5 with 1606 viewsActionMan

Hyam was a classic Ipswich decent average player for us. He could probably feel a touch hard done by in getting released and seeing what was signed to replace him and the inevitable result of those poor decisions. Downes has a way to go, but I like what I see so far/.
Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:53 - Jun 5 with 1600 viewsBigManBlue

Downes is definitely better from a technical perspective, and I think that (hopefully) being in a team that isn't generally pummeled/overrun in the middle of the park every week he can really start to push on.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:53 - Jun 5 with 1600 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'd say Hyam was ahead of Downes. He had that very good spell under Keane when we started the 2010 season brilliantly before getting injured and when Jewell brought him back he was a very important player for us. I still remember him bossing the midfield when we beat West Ham 5-1.

Downes can eclipse Hyam though if he stays injury free.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 13:55]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:57 - Jun 5 with 1582 viewsActionMan

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:53 - Jun 5 by GlasgowBlue

I'd say Hyam was ahead of Downes. He had that very good spell under Keane when we started the 2010 season brilliantly before getting injured and when Jewell brought him back he was a very important player for us. I still remember him bossing the midfield when we beat West Ham 5-1.

Downes can eclipse Hyam though if he stays injury free.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 13:55]

Who remembers Tom Eastman and Shane O'Connor? Two others Keane brought into the first team!
Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 14:00 - Jun 5 with 1572 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 10:40 - Jun 5 by BiGDonnie

I've always thought we held Hyam back trying to get him to play further forward. He's a harrier and that's it. Energy and strong in the tackle, would have done thrice the job Skuse has over the years.

Ahaha

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 14:22 - Jun 5 with 1522 viewsBiGDonnie

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 14:00 - Jun 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Ahaha

Keano was always telling us he could and should play further forward when it was clear he had less technical ability than Mowbray.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 15:33 - Jun 5 with 1438 viewsParisBlue

Flynn Downes v Luke Hyam on 13:53 - Jun 5 by BigManBlue

Downes is definitely better from a technical perspective, and I think that (hopefully) being in a team that isn't generally pummeled/overrun in the middle of the park every week he can really start to push on.

Downes definitely has more potential. Hopefully we see that fulfilled next season. Big year for him.

I recall Alex Ferguson talking about John O'Shea becoming a man (from a boy, not after transgender surgery) over the summer months and at that point becoming a regular first team player. Hopefully we see similar.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024