Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull 17:54 - Mar 30 with 4747 viewsunstableblue

As the fans sang “que sera sera, whatever will be, will be, we’re going to Shrewsbury, que sera sera” and a beautiful rendition of “don’t worry, about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright” and as Kenlock cried and was comforted by a similarly emotional Chambers.... the reality struck, our fate sealed.

It was not a terrible performance and Hull are not a poor side. And indeed if you compare our teamsheets, and the fact a Keane and a Martin can’t make the first team, it should have been 5-0.

We had 65% posession and 15 shots.

At times we played some nice stuff, and we continue to try and play football the right way.

BUT, and it a big but, we are so lacking a true goal scorer, we do not have enough of a ruthless cutting edge. Jackson is not being served when he makes his runs. Hull were ruthless in comparison.

And again senior players were poor, Barts kicking was terrible, Skuse gifted posession. It’s simply not acceptable. Bart was bemoaning his international chances in League One - we’ll sort out your kicking, poor.

Hull defended well and in numbers. They were well drilled. And we simply have the guile or numbers to break them down. And that sense of urgency and spark was missing.

Losing Bishop and Nolan was a big issue. We needed a runner to break between the lines. Chalobah didn’t really turn up, and combine with Skuse backward passing this further retarded our attacking intent.

The positives were Kenlock - who had his best game in a Town shirt. I also thought Toto was good and energetic. Dozzell is a classy classy player - some of his passing is Premeiship class. But he is not dynamic enough and is not grabbing games.

Our new striking youngster looked much more promising in his second cameo.

All a bit flat I’m afraid. We need some confidence building wins in our remaining games.

We are not a bad side despite our budget - we just lack goals and make silly errors.

“We’re all going on a Division 1 tour”!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:01 - Mar 30 with 4170 viewsHorseboy

But this is what the fans wanted, tippy tappy football, no end product and get done.

We laughed at teams we done this to time and again, now we are being trumped.

Winning football is all that matters, this could get worse before it gets better.......
Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:05 - Mar 30 with 4137 viewsKeaneish

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:01 - Mar 30 by Horseboy

But this is what the fans wanted, tippy tappy football, no end product and get done.

Winning football is all that matters, this could get worse before it gets better.......

Fans wanted tippy tappy football with no end product?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:07 - Mar 30 with 4119 viewsunstableblue

No - fans want points and in most games passing, movement, energy and goals. Occasional ground out wins.

They want to feel their team is the home team.

We just lack a decent striker.

Pulis is disliked by the majority of Boro fans. Because of his style. They are in the play offs.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2019 19:24]

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:08 - Mar 30 with 4112 viewsHorseboy

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:05 - Mar 30 by Keaneish

Yep, that's all our budget can stretch too.
Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:30 - Apr 1 with 3744 viewsunstableblue

.... and thinking about the game after a few days.... I am struggling to see how Town fans are describing that Lambert's worst performance, and that we were poor/terrible

There were some passages of play of real merit... and again some good performances.

We just had poor performances from senior players in patches - Bart, Skuse.... we made some defensive errors and we just couldn't finish - albeit brilliantly cleared off the line.

But it wasn't a disaster. I think the fans just needed a win.

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 11:41 - Apr 1 with 3714 viewsSwansea_Blue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 18:05 - Mar 30 by Keaneish

Must be true, I've seen it on the internet.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:42 - Apr 1 with 3702 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:30 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

.... and thinking about the game after a few days.... I am struggling to see how Town fans are describing that Lambert's worst performance, and that we were poor/terrible

There were some passages of play of real merit... and again some good performances.

We just had poor performances from senior players in patches - Bart, Skuse.... we made some defensive errors and we just couldn't finish - albeit brilliantly cleared off the line.

I always assume it from either people who either weren't at the game or only go to football to see a win and don't really like the game otherwise. You see it all the time on here after a loss, even if we play well (I'm not saying we did or not on Sat, I wasn't there so have no idea what the performance was like).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:50 - Apr 1 with 3674 viewsunstableblue

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:42 - Apr 1 by Swansea_Blue

I always assume it from either people who either weren't at the game or only go to football to see a win and don't really like the game otherwise. You see it all the time on here after a loss, even if we play well (I'm not saying we did or not on Sat, I wasn't there so have no idea what the performance was like).

I'm not saying Saturday was great or good, or overly exciting. But we did have a go of sorts, we did keep a level of energy (albeit we needed to go up two gears at times), and there was no aimless punting.

We desperately missed Bishop, and probably Nolan when he went off. We clearly need a striker, albeit Jackson didnt get the service.

Obviously I'd have preferred an ugly win over Saturday's performance, but only just!!

There were performances of merit, especially from Kenlock.

If we can add a striker, a wiley midfielder, another centre back, and if Downes and Wolfenden can come through, we may have a good season next time.

A few wins this term would set the tone nicely.

Hope the fans don;t turn and give up on the Lambert project

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 11:52 - Apr 1 with 3666 viewsHerbivore

It should have been 5-0? If that helps you then fair enough but it's utter garbage, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:55 - Apr 1 with 3651 viewsSouperJim

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 11:30 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

I think that's a measure of how far our play has come under Lambert. We've gotten used to seeing us play well enough to beat teams at home, albeit without actually managing it. Seeing us struggle to create more than a couple of half chances and looking a bit less convincing than we have was tough to watch. Felt like our momentum has faltered a little.

I expect we'll do better at Bolton next weekend.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Give over.... on 11:56 - Apr 1 with 3645 viewsBloots

...we were crap.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 11:59 - Apr 1 with 3624 viewsSouperJim

I wouldn't swap where we are now for going back to dull "winning" football under McCarthy and I'm far from alone. I'll take soul and passion above mid-table mediocrity every day of the week.

If takes relegation to give us back our identity and sense of purpose, bring on League One I say. We are slowly becoming the Ipswich I fell in love with again, thanks to Lambert.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:03 - Apr 1 with 3601 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 11:52 - Apr 1 by Herbivore

It should have been 5-0? If that helps you then fair enough but it's utter garbage, mate.

errrrr, I don't understand.... I meant 5-0 to Hull because of their squad strength compared to ours?!?

Indeed their squad is valued at £44m to our £20m.

Ipswich were not garbage on Saturday, they just weren't dynamic enough in the final third, and senior players made errors. And again they were playing a better team on paper.

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:22 - Apr 1 with 3491 viewsSuperblue95

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:03 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

errrrr, I don't understand.... I meant 5-0 to Hull because of their squad strength compared to ours?!?

Indeed their squad is valued at £44m to our £20m.

Ipswich were not garbage on Saturday, they just weren't dynamic enough in the final third, and senior players made errors. And again they were playing a better team on paper.

Their squad really isn’t that good. The only reason they aren’t in a relegation battle is because of the great job Adkins is doing

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:43 - Apr 1 with 3410 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:22 - Apr 1 by Superblue95

Their squad really isn’t that good. The only reason they aren’t in a relegation battle is because of the great job Adkins is doing

How do you figure that?

They brought on Martin, as a sub, who is ahead of Keane who is our number one striker?!

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:53 - Apr 1 with 3367 viewsSuperblue95

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:43 - Apr 1 by unstableblue

How do you figure that?

They brought on Martin, as a sub, who is ahead of Keane who is our number one striker?!

The same Chris Martin who has scored 2 goals in 27 games in comparison to the 3 goals in 8 games Keane has for us?

Not the best example to highlight your point of view

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Agree with a lot of that on 12:59 - Apr 1 with 3327 viewsDyland

Toto is still inconsistent but there's a decent defender in there. Not sure what him and Luke were doing so far away from each other for the first goal though.

Dozzers oozes class BUT gets caught in possession too easily when players sit on him. He needs others to be more clever, which was severely lacking on Saturday. As you say, Cole and Trev had off days. Judge can't do it all on his own.

Main problem as you say is no cutting edge up front. We're toothless. And crap.

It was an incredibly annoying game.

EDIT: added the crap verbiage for clarity :)
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 13:00]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:00 - Apr 1 with 3321 viewsskyblue23

I agree with everything you have said except for one thing. 'Jackson is not being served when he makes his runs'. The guy stands out wide whenever the ball comes forward. He literally couldn't be any less attacking if he tried because he's never in the box when the crosses are coming in. Also if he not getting the ball, go and get it like Quaner did when he came on. Quaner might not rip up this league but at lest he gets involved and goes looking for the ball. Pulling out wide every single time we move forwards is never going to get him a goal!

Other than that I agree 100% with what you've said.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

" I think the fans just needed a win." on 13:02 - Apr 1 with 3301 viewsDyland

Er, well, yes.

And as Blooters said, we were indeed crap.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:03 - Apr 1 with 3300 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 12:53 - Apr 1 by Superblue95

The same Chris Martin who has scored 2 goals in 27 games in comparison to the 3 goals in 8 games Keane has for us?

Not the best example to highlight your point of view

Errrr Jarred Bowen has scored 21 goals this term, he is the 4th highest striker in the league. Hull have scored the same amount of goals as Derby!

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:50 - Apr 1 with 3170 viewsbefxblue

I think people are a bit quick to criticize our performance, and are overlooking how well organised hull were at the weekend.

They had 2 well organised banks at the back that were no further than 5-8 yards apart whenever we threatened an attack.

Yes, we lacked a bit of energy in the middle but still managed to try and create in a way we wouldn't have 4-5 months ago, but Hull were simply tactically spot on at the back when they needed to be, we were not.
Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:55 - Apr 1 with 3149 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:00 - Apr 1 by skyblue23

I agree with everything you have said except for one thing. 'Jackson is not being served when he makes his runs'. The guy stands out wide whenever the ball comes forward. He literally couldn't be any less attacking if he tried because he's never in the box when the crosses are coming in. Also if he not getting the ball, go and get it like Quaner did when he came on. Quaner might not rip up this league but at lest he gets involved and goes looking for the ball. Pulling out wide every single time we move forwards is never going to get him a goal!

Other than that I agree 100% with what you've said.

Thanks for note.

Yes agree with your point of view on jackson. I had a great seat to see two runs from him he was right on the shoulder and ready to break clean through in the centre (not wide) and he was pointing to the spot, and the midfield failed to deliver.

But you’re right in the main he was ineffective and didn’t step up himself.

Such a shame Kenlock put that shot over after a great run, he walloped it.

I do wonder if some posters are actually watching these games or just going in with pre-conceptions.

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 14:01 - Apr 1 with 3121 viewsHoppersblue10

Couple of things that disappointed me; Skuse and Trevor together does not bring the best out of either of them, especially TC I accept that Bishop being unfit restricted selection options, compounded with Nolan limping off. Biggest gripe from Sat was the replacement of striker for striker, this only moved our problems up top sideways, surely the plight we are in it was 2 up top what was required.? Love Lambert just think he got those bits wrong on Saturday.

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 14:03 - Apr 1 with 3117 viewsunstableblue

Thoughts on Ipswich vs Hull on 13:50 - Apr 1 by befxblue

I think people are a bit quick to criticize our performance, and are overlooking how well organised hull were at the weekend.

They had 2 well organised banks at the back that were no further than 5-8 yards apart whenever we threatened an attack.

Yes, we lacked a bit of energy in the middle but still managed to try and create in a way we wouldn't have 4-5 months ago, but Hull were simply tactically spot on at the back when they needed to be, we were not.

Exactly my Dad came and gives a neutral point of view. He felt Hull
were very drilled, sat deep in banks, and therefore we needed runners (like Bishop)

Hulls tactics and good homework meant they knew we’d be weak if they broke. And with a 21 goal striker and a Polish international winger who starts out wide... they’d have joy.

I’d agree with the old man that judge and Edwards service was at times poor, BUT also we didn’t get enough players coming into the box. Perhaps another reason losing Nolan was a blow.

I don’t get the lazy ‘Ipswich were terrible’ and Hull have a poor squad.

Barts kicking, Skuse and others errors and a lack of runners and a cutting edge lost us the game. NOT our general play.

Looking back at the highlights, reading the press reports.... on 14:05 - Apr 1 with 3105 viewsitfcjoe

I think the timing of the Hull goals made it all feel a bit flat - had one of the 2 efforts not been cleared of the line late in the 1st half it would have been a different game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024