Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Absolutely ridiculous decision. 21:53 - Mar 6 with 10097 viewsSuperblue95

I don’t particularly like PSG and I actually don’t mind United at all but what a f*cking joke that is to give that penalty

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:38 - Mar 6 with 2583 viewsTractorCam

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:01 - Mar 6 by Superblue95

How can you give a penalty?

Was it deliberate? No
Was the shot going in? No

One of the most ridiculous penalty decisions I’ve seen in a long time. Football is broken

It really makes a mockery out of the sport when not a single soul appeals for a penalty, but some weapon in a box who's viewing all sorts of replays waves a red flag.

The referee reviews the incident himself, and has watched it at least 7/8 times. Therefore after about 3 views, he is clearly not sure and should not be giving a penalty and just play on as he first signalled for a corner. Instead after 8 views he decides to point to the spot, meaning the referee who made a normal decision has actually watched a replay and now given the wrong decision, all this which takes 4 minutes of players/fans just standing around.

Can't believe any person has backed VAR and wants to see it.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:40 - Mar 6 with 2575 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:11 - Mar 6 by Superblue95

Only in football could technology come in and actually make the decision makers make worse decisions

Actually when the review system first came in for cricket it made the thing a farce.

They quickly refined it, brought in the "umpire's call" option and it is now much better than before. I would suggest it has improved the quality of umpiring too because they are rapidly shown to have made a mistake if they get it wrong.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:43 - Mar 6 with 2565 viewsSuperblue95

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:38 - Mar 6 by TractorCam

It really makes a mockery out of the sport when not a single soul appeals for a penalty, but some weapon in a box who's viewing all sorts of replays waves a red flag.

The referee reviews the incident himself, and has watched it at least 7/8 times. Therefore after about 3 views, he is clearly not sure and should not be giving a penalty and just play on as he first signalled for a corner. Instead after 8 views he decides to point to the spot, meaning the referee who made a normal decision has actually watched a replay and now given the wrong decision, all this which takes 4 minutes of players/fans just standing around.

This is pretty spot on

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:53 - Mar 6 with 2542 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I feel that this thread is going down a bit of a cul-de-sac!...............

............Phil!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 23:24 - Mar 6 with 2514 viewsRobTheMonk

Personally, I think it's very harsh. He's turning away and his arm is going back into his body. There's still some ambiguity as to what is a hand ball.
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 23:37 - Mar 6 with 2510 viewsReusersTown

Is nobody looking at the defenders face!. He saw the ball coming and made himself bigger by leaving his arm out!
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 00:32 - Mar 7 with 2484 viewsStirlingArcher

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:38 - Mar 6 by TractorCam

But the United players ARE appealing for it...

watch the highlights, they are all pointing to their arms

The defender turned his body but left the arm where he knew the ball would be
the ball hit his arm and under the interpretation of the law, penalty.

Final point - doesn't matter a jot if it was going wide or not
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 02:25 - Mar 7 with 2461 viewsMrTown

Was it deliberate? No

One of the most ridiculous penalty decisions I’ve seen in a long time. Football is broken

Football is broken...

Tonight a team went out of the tournament that is owned by a state, spends ludicrous amounts of money evidentially not with in the barriers of FFP, paying over £250m on 2 players in a single transfer window competing in a League they win every year by Christmas.
Tonight they played in there special kit because of promotional contract deals to Nike Jordan they have on there logo instead of their home kit.

United have 10 first team players missing through injury and finished the game with 2 academy graduates in Chong and Greenwood who played in one of the greatest European nights in Man Utd history with a 93rd minute goal to win the tie.

That’s not football broke , that’s why we love football!

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 06:18 - Mar 7 with 2430 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazed some people think that was actually the correct decision. Absolute shocker

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 07:52 - Mar 7 with 2364 viewsm14_blue

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 06:18 - Mar 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazed some people think that was actually the correct decision. Absolute shocker

It’s insane. A nothing incident like that shouldn’t decide the game.

There seems to be some debate about what the rules say but, if that is the rule, then it’s a joke. The whole joy of football is that goals are so hard to come by, a speculative shot, nowhere near on target, that just happens to catch someone’s arm should not be the deciding factor.

Delighted for United though, I actually like them under Ole, which is an odd feeling.
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:10 - Mar 7 with 2337 viewschicoazul

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:00 - Mar 6 by Trequartista

V.A.R. is the final death of football, along with this garbage from the other game

Pepe should be punished at every opportunity though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:17 - Mar 7 with 2325 viewsHerbivore

Was it deliberate? No

Whether it was going in or not isn't relevant.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:33 - Mar 7 with 2307 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 07:52 - Mar 7 by m14_blue

There seems to be some debate about what the rules say but, if that is the rule, then it’s a joke. The whole joy of football is that goals are so hard to come by, a speculative shot, nowhere near on target, that just happens to catch someone’s arm should not be the deciding factor.

Delighted for United though, I actually like them under Ole, which is an odd feeling.

Indeed

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:39 - Mar 7 with 2295 viewsitfc48

VAR is there to eradicate howlers, therefore, I think the referee/panel should get one replay at full speed.
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:47 - Mar 7 with 2284 viewsBiGDonnie

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 22:13 - Mar 6 by Darth_Koont

Agreed but it was still a penalty given he blocked it with his arm out and far enough away for him to have brought his arm in.

It was turning his back that was the problem for him as it left his arm hanging out when he didn't know where the ball was.

But them's the rules.

He knew exactly what he was doing IMO. Turn your back and keep your arm high so you can plead innocence if it does hit your arm/hand. Definite penalty.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:49 - Mar 7 with 2279 viewsITFC_Forever

Was it deliberate? No

Why does it matter if the shot was going in? Makes zero difference.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:56 - Mar 7 with 2271 viewsNo9

Was it deliberate? No

'Interesting' ref decisons have payed a major part in the revival of MU since Mourino departed
Just as if Ferguson has had a word in someones ear?
Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:10 - Mar 7 with 2248 viewsSuperblue95

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 08:17 - Mar 7 by Herbivore

Whether it was going in or not isn't relevant.

Perhaps not in the official ruling but surely using common sense it should be relevant? It was a desperate, speculative effort that was going to sail into the stand. Defender panicked and thought he better try and block it so jumps in the way, ball brushes off elbow and goes out for a corner. He didn’t block it with his arm deliberately so surely he should only then be penalised if it prevents a goal or a goal scoring opportunity, which it didn’t.

Only my opinion of course but that’s how I think the handball rule should be applied otherwise it’s incredibly harsh

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:11 - Mar 7 with 2241 viewsITFC_Forever

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:10 - Mar 7 by Superblue95

Perhaps not in the official ruling but surely using common sense it should be relevant? It was a desperate, speculative effort that was going to sail into the stand. Defender panicked and thought he better try and block it so jumps in the way, ball brushes off elbow and goes out for a corner. He didn’t block it with his arm deliberately so surely he should only then be penalised if it prevents a goal or a goal scoring opportunity, which it didn’t.

Only my opinion of course but that’s how I think the handball rule should be applied otherwise it’s incredibly harsh

Not a single word of that makes sense. A handball is a foul, no matter where on the pitch it is.

If it happens to be in your own penalty box, then it's a penalty. End of story.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:13 - Mar 7 with 2240 viewsRadlett_blue

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 07:52 - Mar 7 by m14_blue

The rules makers have been looking at handball & how it is interpreted. No defender "deliberately" handles the ball unless it's about to go into an unguarded goal so I understand why. I also understand the previous protocol whereby a referee should take into account distance from the ball & speed of the ball as to whether he had "allowed" his arm to block a shot or cross. I believe the new interpretation will lead to MORE penalties being given for handball, which I think is a terrible idea, as in most of these cases, it is highly unlikely that a goal would have resulted. If this leads to more games being decided by VAR decisions such as last night, the game will be the loser as a result.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:15 - Mar 7 with 2235 viewsitfcjoe

Thought VAR was supposed to correct 'clear and obvious' mistakes.

That wasn't one, was never a penalty - what was he supposed to do with his arms when he jumped? Tuck them into his shorts?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:18 - Mar 7 with 2229 viewsitfcjoe

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:13 - Mar 7 by Radlett_blue

The rules makers have been looking at handball & how it is interpreted. No defender "deliberately" handles the ball unless it's about to go into an unguarded goal so I understand why. I also understand the previous protocol whereby a referee should take into account distance from the ball & speed of the ball as to whether he had "allowed" his arm to block a shot or cross. I believe the new interpretation will lead to MORE penalties being given for handball, which I think is a terrible idea, as in most of these cases, it is highly unlikely that a goal would have resulted. If this leads to more games being decided by VAR decisions such as last night, the game will be the loser as a result.

It'll end up like hockey where players play the ball into opponents feet - but in hockey you only get a short corner rather than a penalty flick if it is accidental

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:23 - Mar 7 with 2206 viewsRadlett_blue

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:11 - Mar 7 by ITFC_Forever

Not a single word of that makes sense. A handball is a foul, no matter where on the pitch it is.

If every apparent foul in the penalty area was given, there would be 10 penalty kicks or more each game. Referees already apply the laws differently in the penalty areas & last night's decision was a good example of how common sense should have prevailed. Or do you want the VAR to look at footage for 5 minutes after every corner kick & then toss a coin to see if he gives a free kick to the defence (the referee's preferred default option) or a penalty kick?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:26 - Mar 7 with 2198 viewsSuperblue95

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:11 - Mar 7 by ITFC_Forever

It makes sense, you just have a different opinion.

Plenty of handballs aren’t given as fouls if they are deemed to be accidental or not interfering with play.

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:40 - Mar 7 with 2169 viewsITFC_Forever

Absolutely ridiculous decision. on 09:26 - Mar 7 by Superblue95

It makes sense, you just have a different opinion.

Plenty of handballs aren’t given as fouls if they are deemed to be accidental or not interfering with play.

It's not an opinion - it's a fact.

For a handball to be given, it doesn't need to be goal-bound.

That's the point I'm correcting you on. Whether it was intentional or not, who knows... but that's another point entirely.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024