Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dear Paul Lambert 06:31 - Nov 28 with 5155 viewsunstableblue

Dear Paul Lambert,

In 3 games you have reminded us Town Fans what a football manager, club/fan relationship and playing style should be. Despite a woefully inadequate squad and players who have had a passing and attacking ethos drummed out of them for multiple seasons, we are making progress. I really hope you get that bit of luck tonight to bring home the 3 points.

If only you had joined us four seasons ago. The sentiment and strategy you set out below is what town fans have craved, and we are seeing genuine change on the pitch. Just hope you can keep us in touch or better till January - when we can get much needed quality into the squad.

COYB

––––––/–––––––––––-
He says he’ll take the game to the opposition: “I’ve always been like that, I was like that as a player. I played with clubs that were always on the front foot. I was fortunate I had a good career myself and I knew what it was like and I played under some great managers and with some great players, so I know what it’s like to be on the front foot.

“And I won’t play any other way. This is the way I play, I want us to entertain. We’re in the entertainment business, I think sometimes people forget that but the performances I’ve been really, really pleased with.”

His approach with Town also involves playing the ball out from the back which at times caused them a few headaches against a West Brom side who closed them down quickly. However, he says it’s something he will continue to tell his players to do.

“We don’t have a massive physical presence to back to front,” he said. “I don’t want to play that way anyway.

“The lads are doing everything I ask of them. I actually saw the stats from the game and I’m not really one for stats and I think the passing count was about 455 for us to West Brom’s 290s or 300.

“We were brilliant on the ball. If we go back to front it’s going to keep coming back and I’d rather play football on the ground and that's the way I want to play.

“I’m the one responsible for us playing that way. If I wanted to go long and back and long and back, I’d bring in guys about 6ft 9. I don’t want to do that. I’ll play my way and I’ll take responsibility for everything.

“The players play the way I want to play and when they make mistakes it’s my fault, not theirs. I’ll take the responsibility.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 6:32]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Dear Paul Lambert on 07:14 - Nov 28 with 5070 viewschristiand

He always comes across extremely positive, I feel recharged and have more hope for our future after listening to him doing his pressers. I really liked how he said he wants all the sides at the club to play in the same manner, so transition from each side is made easier for players and they know their jobs and expectations in their role. He then went on to add that he is going to be doing a coaching clinic with Academy coaches to embed the same ethos, it makes perfect sense. Although this is a long term approach to me, is this perhaps an indicator of PL's future at the club?
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 7:18]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:04 - Nov 28 with 4972 viewsHerbivore

Oh man, this is going to be tough to watch when it inevitably goes wrong at some point.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:14 - Nov 28 with 4954 viewsstewartm

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:04 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Oh man, this is going to be tough to watch when it inevitably goes wrong at some point.

If it goes wrong then I believe PL will put it right again, that's the reason for having a good manager is it not?

Poll: How long will Lamburke survive this season?

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:19 - Nov 28 with 4941 viewswitchdoctor

not as tough as the dross M M inflicted on us which led to thousands turning their back on the club..
Dear Paul Lambert on 08:20 - Nov 28 with 4938 viewsHerbivore

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:19 - Nov 28 by witchdoctor

not as tough as the dross M M inflicted on us which led to thousands turning their back on the club..

Some of you are still utterly obsessed with Mick, it's weird. We've had two managers since he left.

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:24 - Nov 28 with 4925 viewsBiGDonnie

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:20 - Nov 28 by Herbivore

Some of you are still utterly obsessed with Mick, it's weird. We've had two managers since he left.

Why's it weird to talk about a manager who was here for five or so years and only left about 6 months ago?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:49 - Nov 28 with 4882 viewsartsbossbeard

"players who have had a passing and attacking ethos drummed out of them for multiple seasons"

*uncurls toes manually*

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:55 - Nov 28 with 4864 viewsDarth_Koont

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:24 - Nov 28 by BiGDonnie

Why's it weird to talk about a manager who was here for five or so years and only left about 6 months ago?

Probably the way they talk about him. Sounding like a bitter ex.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Dear Paul Lambert on 09:22 - Nov 28 with 4792 viewsHerbivore

I think given where we are in the table our main focus as fans should probably be on the present and trying to support the team to get out of a mess. The way some numbskulls are still obsessing over Mick at a time like this is a bit weird to be honest.

Dear Paul Lambert on 09:40 - Nov 28 with 4749 viewsGuthrum

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:14 - Nov 28 by stewartm

If it goes wrong then I believe PL will put it right again, that's the reason for having a good manager is it not?

Well said.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:40 - Nov 28 with 4659 viewsBlueBadger

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:49 - Nov 28 by artsbossbeard

"players who have had a passing and attacking ethos drummed out of them for multiple seasons"

*uncurls toes manually*

He clearly also didn't see how much we were fruitlessly knocking it long/into the channels on Friday either. We didn't look much different to how we did under Mick, dare I say it...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:43 - Nov 28 with 4646 viewsTractorWood

I agree to an extent but people were gushing about Hurst early on. Let's win a game before we confirm he's the second coming?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:49 - Nov 28 with 4630 viewsTractorWood

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:40 - Nov 28 by BlueBadger

He clearly also didn't see how much we were fruitlessly knocking it long/into the channels on Friday either. We didn't look much different to how we did under Mick, dare I say it...

Devoid of any creativity, no retention or pace in passing through the midfield. Isolated wide players and striker up top left to chase scraps. I like Lambert's approach off the field but it's fairly meaningless if we still can't put together a decent 90 minutes.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 10:49]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:52 - Nov 28 with 4610 viewssolemio

Dear Paul Lambert on 08:49 - Nov 28 by artsbossbeard

*uncurls toes manually*

You use your hand(s) to uncurl your toes?
Dear Paul Lambert on 10:53 - Nov 28 with 4611 viewsMonkey

8 shots on target in 3 games.

2 points from 3 games.

0 wins so far.

I really really really want Lambert to succeed and Town to go up but i genuinely don't get the love in. He's been great off the pitch absolutely but whats on the pitch is what counts. Maybe hold off on the love letters for now?

Poll: Which division do you honestly think Ipswich will be in next season?

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:27 - Nov 28 with 4548 viewsArnieM

Herb, you really just can’t help yourself can you! You have to find fault in anyone else opinion/ view. Thank God I’m not sat next to you at PR...assuming you actually go of course!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:36 - Nov 28 with 4525 viewsnoggin

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:27 - Nov 28 by ArnieM

Herb, you really just can’t help yourself can you! You have to find fault in anyone else opinion/ view. Thank God I’m not sat next to you at PR...assuming you actually go of course!

I think he's agreeing with the OP but preparing himself for the worst.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:46 - Nov 28 with 4488 viewsGeoffSentence

Ramsey and Robson still get talked about, perhaps a better comparison would be John Duncan who also gets talked about.

Discussion of previous managers impact is perfectly valid, more so when it is a recent one who's recruitment still makes up the bulk of the squad, and who's training methods and ethos over the past 5 years clearly still have an impact.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:48 - Nov 28 with 4477 viewsBlueBadger

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:49 - Nov 28 by TractorWood

Devoid of any creativity, no retention or pace in passing through the midfield. Isolated wide players and striker up top left to chase scraps. I like Lambert's approach off the field but it's fairly meaningless if we still can't put together a decent 90 minutes.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2018 10:49]

Like Mick, Lambert is a competent-to-very-good manager working with an 'it-is-what-it-is' squad. If we're going to survive this season it's not going to be pretty. Nor will we start playing like mid-to-late 90's Arsenal in seasons going forward.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dear Paul Lambert on 12:08 - Nov 28 with 4413 viewsBecclesITFC

Dear Paul Lambert on 10:40 - Nov 28 by BlueBadger

Which is a million times better than we have been in the first 8 games.
Dear Paul Lambert on 13:10 - Nov 28 with 4304 viewsHerbivore

Dear Paul Lambert on 11:27 - Nov 28 by ArnieM

Bless you, dear. I'm not finding fault per se, it's just that the OP has had misplaced optimism early doors before and I worry how he might cope with further disappointment. We all want Lambert to succeed, not all of us think he's the saviour just yet off the back of 2 points in 3 games. I'm not sure why you feel the need to have a pop at me so much, you rarely post but when you do 9 times out of 10 it seems to be to try and start a row with me. You need to chill, babe.

Dear Paul Lambert on 13:52 - Nov 28 with 4216 viewsFrimleyBlue

The thing is though Herbs, I'm my view. we may still go down. But that's because of Hurst not Lambert. The squad is was it is, we can all see the problems within the lineups but unfortunately it's as good as can be for now. It MAY be too late come January for Paul to get in reinforcements.

But what Lambert has done so far in his time here is rebuild that gap between club, manager and a fans. This is important. We may go down, but we all go down together. That way to look at getting back up, we may have a support base to help us do that.

Whilst I've not yet gone to a game under Lambert, you can tell there's a lot of people who have really enjoyed their time at games. Something we as a club haven't provided to paying supporters over the last 18 months at PR.

So I get what you're saying about it going wrong, but lets be honest, it's already gone wrong lamberts just trying to correct it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Dear Paul Lambert on 17:47 - Nov 28 with 4090 viewsHerbivore

Dear Paul Lambert on 13:52 - Nov 28 by FrimleyBlue

The thing is though Herbs, I'm my view. we may still go down. But that's because of Hurst not Lambert. The squad is was it is, we can all see the problems within the lineups but unfortunately it's as good as can be for now. It MAY be too late come January for Paul to get in reinforcements.

But what Lambert has done so far in his time here is rebuild that gap between club, manager and a fans. This is important. We may go down, but we all go down together. That way to look at getting back up, we may have a support base to help us do that.

Whilst I've not yet gone to a game under Lambert, you can tell there's a lot of people who have really enjoyed their time at games. Something we as a club haven't provided to paying supporters over the last 18 months at PR.

So I get what you're saying about it going wrong, but lets be honest, it's already gone wrong lamberts just trying to correct it.

I agree with a lot of what you say, I just disagree that the current positivity will be remotely intact should we go a further 5 or 6 games without a win and be adrift. Let's sincerely hope that doesn't happen and that we get the win tonight that kickstarts our season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024