Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... 08:51 - Oct 28 with 13544 viewschristiand

What would be your first move? He couldn't have seen too much from yesterday's game to give much hope, even the level of heart, commitment and wanting to compete must have been put into question. So what would you do in PL's situation?

Run to the hills isn't an option though!!!!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:52 - Oct 28 with 5526 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Drill after drill, after drill!!

Mainly on set pieces!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:52 - Oct 28 with 5523 viewsDubtractor

Look through the free agents list to see where we can add some desperately, desperately, needed quality.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:53 - Oct 28 with 5509 viewsRadlett_blue

Sort out the defence & make us hard to beat. That's what Mick did.
Decide on a core formation & largely stick to it.
I would go with a back 5 of Bart; Donacien, Chambers, Pennington & Knudsen.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:55 - Oct 28 with 5498 viewschristiand

I think I'd have to ask all the squad who actually wants to play for Ipswich Town? If so, what does it mean to play for this club?
[Post edited 28 Oct 2018 8:56]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:58 - Oct 28 with 5450 viewsMullet

Get them out on the training ground, do the first session with the ball as if it's pre-season.

Sit down with the coaches and captain for an hour.

One to one meeting with each player - tell them you know XYZ about them, you've seen this and that, this is your expectation for them in the next month - half of the season - year etc.

Start again Tuesday.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:00 - Oct 28 with 5418 viewsPJH

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:53 - Oct 28 by Radlett_blue

Sort out the defence & make us hard to beat. That's what Mick did.
Decide on a core formation & largely stick to it.
I would go with a back 5 of Bart; Donacien, Chambers, Pennington & Knudsen.

I think that that defence is the best that we have but Bart's confidence is really shot isn't it?

The whole squad seems to have gone backwards but him more than most.

To start with Paul Lambert has just got to accumulate a few points and get the players believing once again that they can win games.

Next weeks Preston game is huge.
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:01 - Oct 28 with 5405 viewsBluebell

If I were Paul Lambert tomorrow morning I would worry considerably because I would have changed sex!

As for the footballing side, I would drop most of Hurst's players apart from Gwion Edwards and take a good look at all the others and ask them what is their best position. I would then take training with the players playing in those positions.

I would speak to the people running the academy and find out which players would be ready to step up.
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:02 - Oct 28 with 5389 viewstextbackup

I’d pick my back 5 and absolutely drill into them how to work as a unit.

We aren’t going to score fck all, so we NEED that piss poor defence to hold strong.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:04 - Oct 28 with 5371 viewsJ2BLUE

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:52 - Oct 28 by Marshalls_Mullet

Drill after drill, after drill!!

Mainly on set pieces!!

This. And defending crosses.

My first non training thing would be a big speech about a reset, forget this whole relegation battle narrative and focus on getting to 19th. From there it's a simple case of matching the results of the teams below us. We can do it. A couple of wins soon and this crisis becomes a heck of a lot more manageable. I'd say we're better than xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx and xxx wven if I didn't believe it. I'd drop something in about MM telling me I could trust the players he left behind and that he believes they are more than good enough to get out of this. Then i'd tell all the new recruits they were signed for a reason and it hasn't worked out so far but that was the past and now they have a golden opportunity to prove they were the right signings. This season can still be successful and we can still build for a push up the table next season.

Followed by endless drills. Pick a formation and drill it to death. Use overload training where the attacking team have more players. Drill tomorrow, Tuesday and Thursday. Wednesday and Friday off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:07 - Oct 28 with 5341 viewsHerbivore

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:01 - Oct 28 by Bluebell

If I were Paul Lambert tomorrow morning I would worry considerably because I would have changed sex!

As for the footballing side, I would drop most of Hurst's players apart from Gwion Edwards and take a good look at all the others and ask them what is their best position. I would then take training with the players playing in those positions.

I would speak to the people running the academy and find out which players would be ready to step up.

Your first move would be to alienate half the squad? Let's hope Lambert doesn't take that approach.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:12 - Oct 28 with 5284 viewsPJH

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:07 - Oct 28 by Herbivore

Your first move would be to alienate half the squad? Let's hope Lambert doesn't take that approach.

The recurring things regarding Hurst that have cropped up for me since before the season started are "too much too soon" and "out of his depth".
We know that Lambert is not out of his depth and he can't change too much too soon so he has to create a solid squad from what he has got and get them believing in themselves again.
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:18 - Oct 28 with 5240 viewsHerbivore

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:12 - Oct 28 by PJH

The recurring things regarding Hurst that have cropped up for me since before the season started are "too much too soon" and "out of his depth".
We know that Lambert is not out of his depth and he can't change too much too soon so he has to create a solid squad from what he has got and get them believing in themselves again.

Absolutely, he needs to get everyone pulling together very quickly. I don't believe the squad is as bad as some think, there is some ability in there (though we are light up front) but confidence and belief are at rock bottom. Get these players believing, which will come from knowing their roles and how Lambert wants them to play, and there's enough about the squad for us to start picking up some points.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:20 - Oct 28 with 5220 viewsericclacton

I would wear my kilt, and play my bagpipes then i would growl at people and have a drink.

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:33 - Oct 28 with 5153 viewsSuperfrans

I disagree. I think there’s lots to work on.

>> settle on your core players - be decisive, decide who your best 14/15 players are, get them onside, work with them.
>> decide on your back 4 - drill them on set pieces. Spend all this week defending them. Mine would be Donacien, Knudsen, Chambers, Pennington in a 4. No messing around with 3s or 5s for now.
>> scour your contacts book for a dominant target man, available as a free agent, get him in until Jan. preferably two.
>> all the above to give Downes, Dozzell, Lankester a platform - the confidence that we won’t concede stupid goals, and that we have someone to aim for upfront.
>> get in a psychologist and work on confidence throughout the team.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:34 - Oct 28 with 5134 viewsbluelady

I will probably get lambasted for this but I think players like Nolan could really step up with the right direction.... Edan is another, showed some real class at times but both playing in a really struggling team that had no direction under a manager it appears who didn’t like the “arm around” approach. Look how players just caved in under Keane, this reign shows similarities. First thing Paul Lamberts needs to do is put a big arm around them all, tell them it’s ok daddy is here now everything is going to be ok as long as they believe (or words to that effect). I think defensively and in the centre of the park we are good enough to keep up (just) it’s up top we are stuffed... players like Huws May find it “easier” to return under a decent manager, who knows what has been said directly to players, enough has been said in the press that has been uncalled for in my opinion
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:46 - Oct 28 with 5048 viewsVaughan8

We are hopeless upfront but I'm not sure there is much we can do there.

Need to work on the defence. Letting in at least 2 goals a game with our weak attack is almost certain defeat (ok we got lucky at Swansea getting 3 goals but it's unlikely to happen too often)
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:52 - Oct 28 with 5000 viewsChocorange

Sit all the players in the centre circle and summon the biggest Beast from the East snowstorm to ensure all games are called off from now until January transfer window opens......
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:54 - Oct 28 with 4993 viewsSuperfrans

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:04 - Oct 28 by J2BLUE

This. And defending crosses.

My first non training thing would be a big speech about a reset, forget this whole relegation battle narrative and focus on getting to 19th. From there it's a simple case of matching the results of the teams below us. We can do it. A couple of wins soon and this crisis becomes a heck of a lot more manageable. I'd say we're better than xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx and xxx wven if I didn't believe it. I'd drop something in about MM telling me I could trust the players he left behind and that he believes they are more than good enough to get out of this. Then i'd tell all the new recruits they were signed for a reason and it hasn't worked out so far but that was the past and now they have a golden opportunity to prove they were the right signings. This season can still be successful and we can still build for a push up the table next season.

Followed by endless drills. Pick a formation and drill it to death. Use overload training where the attacking team have more players. Drill tomorrow, Tuesday and Thursday. Wednesday and Friday off.

Yes, very much agree.

What’s critical is that the manager breaks down our current problem (voiced by many on here as, we’re sh!t, the players arent good enough, we’re already down) into individual factors we can work on. This is critical, from day one. And you’ve laid several of them out well there.

It’s not rocket science, it’s what every one of us does every day in our jobs, I’m sure.

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 09:54 - Oct 28 with 4979 viewsEwan_Oozami

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 08:58 - Oct 28 by Mullet

Get them out on the training ground, do the first session with the ball as if it's pre-season.

Sit down with the coaches and captain for an hour.

One to one meeting with each player - tell them you know XYZ about them, you've seen this and that, this is your expectation for them in the next month - half of the season - year etc.

Start again Tuesday.

And while the 1-2-1s were going on let the rest of the players loose on the training pitch with some footballs to run, pass, shoot, practice crosses, set pieces, whatever they want to do and just let them get used having a ball at their feet again.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

on 09:54 - Oct 28 with 4973 views_

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:08 - Oct 28 with 4913 viewsAce_High1

on 09:54 - Oct 28 by _

Its a bit of myth used a lot in last 5 years that we need players with Championship experience. Also this narrative about how tough a league it is and only good solid British pro's with experience can cope. Hence why we historically sign squad filler like the useless Coke, Douglas etc.

What we need is quality - players who want the ball, can pass, keep the ball and create chances. Our strikers are not very good but what service to they get? Next to no chances created every game. I have been saying for years the balance and quality of our midfield has been atrocious for the last decade.

The reason the defenders pump it long is because there is no one in midfield wanting the ball and our full backs are not good enough to burst forward with the ball.

When we signed Mings, he didn't have Championship experience but he had quality (both physical and skill) meaning he could bomb forward with pace and power and create opportunities. Cresswell was the same but he was all about quality on the ball and picking a pass. Now we have Knudsen who cannot pass for his life. I don't know what people see in the guy, he is just not very good at all.
If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:18 - Oct 28 with 4856 viewsSuperfrans

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:08 - Oct 28 by Ace_High1

Its a bit of myth used a lot in last 5 years that we need players with Championship experience. Also this narrative about how tough a league it is and only good solid British pro's with experience can cope. Hence why we historically sign squad filler like the useless Coke, Douglas etc.

What we need is quality - players who want the ball, can pass, keep the ball and create chances. Our strikers are not very good but what service to they get? Next to no chances created every game. I have been saying for years the balance and quality of our midfield has been atrocious for the last decade.

The reason the defenders pump it long is because there is no one in midfield wanting the ball and our full backs are not good enough to burst forward with the ball.

When we signed Mings, he didn't have Championship experience but he had quality (both physical and skill) meaning he could bomb forward with pace and power and create opportunities. Cresswell was the same but he was all about quality on the ball and picking a pass. Now we have Knudsen who cannot pass for his life. I don't know what people see in the guy, he is just not very good at all.

I agree, we have decent centre backs, they need to be organised and drilled. Pennington and Chambers are both perfectly good in this division. Nsiala at a push too.

Yesterday we played yet another different defensive formation. It’s nuts. Get your back four and stick with them.

The best back 4s are a unit - Dixon-Winterburn-Adams-Bould, Mills-Burley-Beattie-Hunter, etc etc. Build a unit.

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:22 - Oct 28 with 4840 viewsGuthrum

A cup of coffee and some breakfast.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

on 10:24 - Oct 28 with 4824 views_

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:18 - Oct 28 by Superfrans

I agree, we have decent centre backs, they need to be organised and drilled. Pennington and Chambers are both perfectly good in this division. Nsiala at a push too.

Yesterday we played yet another different defensive formation. It’s nuts. Get your back four and stick with them.

The best back 4s are a unit - Dixon-Winterburn-Adams-Bould, Mills-Burley-Beattie-Hunter, etc etc. Build a unit.

If you were Paul Lambert on Monday morning....... on 10:32 - Oct 28 with 4784 viewsJ2BLUE

on 10:24 - Oct 28 by _

Do you remember a couple of weeks ago when you were mocking me for suggesting there might a clause in Hurt's deal to pay him off cheaply?

sacked by PhilTWTD 27 Oct 2018 16:07
There was a pay-off but not a huge one from what I gather. There'll have been a clause in the contract about a termination I assume.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024