Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Possible bad news regarding Airbus 07:56 - Jun 22 with 11690 viewsStokieBlue

This is incredibly bad news if it happens, we need companies like this operating within the UK. 14,000 jobs (including highly skilled design jobs) with the knock-on effect for 4,000 suppliers (110,000 jobs in the wider supply chain).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/22/airbus-plans-uk-cuts-amid-fears

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:36 - Jun 22 with 3329 viewsBOjK

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:27 - Jun 22 by No9

We shouldn't be too surprised. Airbus started considerations after Mr camerons annoucement of the Referanda in 2013 and some key staff have already moved to Tolouse, one of my aquaintences is living the carefree life of a house husband after hif wife took up the offer & moved from Bristol.

Others are doing much the same e.g. Mini have taken over the old Vlvo factory in Born S. NL

None of the news media has the balls to make a full assessment of who has started to move and who is making addditional preparations.

I took a tour of the Mini garage recently (with Mrs BOjK, who drives one). The efficiency of the production line is amazing. You can tell how much work has gone into streamlining the manufacturing process.

Parts arrive all the time, but hardly wait around on the site. Straight off the lorry, then turned into cars (mostly by robots), just before the next lorry arrives.

The site is surprisingly close to the centre of oxford, with no room to expand. Not only would keeping more stock onsite to counteract the potential effects of slowdown at the ports be ruinously expensive, it is practically impossible as there isn't the space. Instead they'd have to try store the good elsewhere. Which would mean sourcing land, getting planning permission, and building a storage facility somewhere in Oxfordshire. Where of course sites suitable for industrial development are both plentiful and cheap.

I've no idea what contingency plans they (and Nissan, and others) have put in place, but "no-deal" would cut them off at the knees - Airbus spoke of costs of £1bn per week of accrued delay. But even the golden scenario of a transition to a life outside the Customs Union would be a major handicap.

Our political classes sadly just don't have the skills to manage these problems and agree on and then deliver an appropriate strategy. I didn't realise it would be this bad. I fear the worst.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:37 - Jun 22 with 3329 viewsSwansea_Blue

Posturing no doubt to pressure the government into a softer Brexit or to give them concessions? But it's not an empty threat. A massive business Airbus - this applies across the whole business of course, including defence and space, not just the commercial airliner side. They're so embedded into European satellite and defence programmes it's hard to see how there won't be big changes in the UK even if they can sort something out for the civilian airline side.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:41 - Jun 22 with 3318 viewsSwansea_Blue

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:27 - Jun 22 by No9

We shouldn't be too surprised. Airbus started considerations after Mr camerons annoucement of the Referanda in 2013 and some key staff have already moved to Tolouse, one of my aquaintences is living the carefree life of a house husband after hif wife took up the offer & moved from Bristol.

Others are doing much the same e.g. Mini have taken over the old Vlvo factory in Born S. NL

None of the news media has the balls to make a full assessment of who has started to move and who is making addditional preparations.

Yes, preparations have ben under way for a while. I'm good friends with one of their Directors.

And you wouldn't expect anything else. You can't expect companies like this to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the government to decide what it wants. They need clarity and they need it now (well, 2 years ago ideally).

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:45 - Jun 22 with 3311 viewssoupytwist

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:37 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Posturing no doubt to pressure the government into a softer Brexit or to give them concessions? But it's not an empty threat. A massive business Airbus - this applies across the whole business of course, including defence and space, not just the commercial airliner side. They're so embedded into European satellite and defence programmes it's hard to see how there won't be big changes in the UK even if they can sort something out for the civilian airline side.

Which is one of the reasons why Brexit being about taking back control was always a nonsense. We'd be swapping one bunch of faceless unelected bureaucrats (if you believe that) for a load of multinational corporations demanding their own concessions / arrangements in order to stay here or just sodding off altogether. We've seen Nissan telling the government what to do, they won't be the only ones.
Jacob has 15 children.... on 11:14 - Jun 22 with 3280 viewsBrianTablet

Jacob has 15 children.... on 10:36 - Jun 22 by unstableblue

... all being brought up as Victorians

"The chimneys of the British Empire shall forever be spotless."
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 11:29]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:25 - Jun 22 with 3263 viewsBurwell_Blue

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:30 - Jun 22 by soupytwist

I think he/she means that if the government had taken notice of those who felt disenfrachised by UK politics at an earlier stage then they wouldn't have used their vote in the referendum to express that frustration with the government.

Or if they'd been offered a different way of expressing that frustration, instead of the referendum. Like a general election perhaps, clearly the one in 2010 wasn't a good enough opportunity. Or the chance to change the voting system in this country so that minority parties like UKIP (who were unlikely to win a parliamentary seat under first past the post) could potentially stand a better chance.

Oh, but there were those chances and other people chose to vote differently.

Your first paragraph is bang on the money. Previous governments misseed the opportunities to satisfy the will of the people, in particular to immigration.
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:27 - Jun 22 with 3257 viewsHerbivore

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:25 - Jun 22 by Burwell_Blue

Your first paragraph is bang on the money. Previous governments misseed the opportunities to satisfy the will of the people, in particular to immigration.

Can you clarify what to mean by that please?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:32 - Jun 22 with 3253 viewsBurwell_Blue

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:27 - Jun 22 by Herbivore

Can you clarify what to mean by that please?

I thought that was pretty clear to be honest.

It remains my opinion that the vast majority of leave voters had no issues in the main of remaining in the EU. The vote of leave was placed purely as a sign of exasperation with a small portion of the current economic climate.
Login to get fewer ads

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:33 - Jun 22 with 3251 viewsHerbivore

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:32 - Jun 22 by Burwell_Blue

I thought that was pretty clear to be honest.

It remains my opinion that the vast majority of leave voters had no issues in the main of remaining in the EU. The vote of leave was placed purely as a sign of exasperation with a small portion of the current economic climate.

That's not any clearer. What do you think the will of the people was and what did the government fail to do?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:36 - Jun 22 with 3249 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I haven’t read that article but on the news this morning they were talking about relocating production to China. Last time I checked China wasn’t in the EU either so what’s it really about?
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 11:41]
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:54 - Jun 22 with 3229 viewsfooters

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:36 - Jun 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

I haven’t read that article but on the news this morning they were talking about relocating production to China. Last time I checked China wasn’t in the EU either so what’s it really about?

If you read just the first two sentences of the article, you'll get your answer.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:56 - Jun 22 with 3226 viewsBOjK

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:36 - Jun 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

"I haven’t read that article but ... "

Classic internet.

I'd suggest you should, and also read Airbus' Brexit planning document (it has been heavily abridged for public consumption - it is only two pages)

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:06 - Jun 22 with 3219 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:56 - Jun 22 by BOjK

"I haven’t read that article but ... "

Classic internet.

I'd suggest you should, and also read Airbus' Brexit planning document (it has been heavily abridged for public consumption - it is only two pages)

Ok, I’ve read it now. Looks like we should force through no deal asap to minimise disruption because I’m certain we will not get any sort of deal no matter how long we drag it out.

We should already have done this.... giving the rest of the EU longer to think about it is just giving them more opportunity to plan for this sort of thing. A year ago they would have had to come up with a bespoke arrangement just for airbus
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:10 - Jun 22 with 3214 viewsHennikerBlu

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:45 - Jun 22 by soupytwist

Which is one of the reasons why Brexit being about taking back control was always a nonsense. We'd be swapping one bunch of faceless unelected bureaucrats (if you believe that) for a load of multinational corporations demanding their own concessions / arrangements in order to stay here or just sodding off altogether. We've seen Nissan telling the government what to do, they won't be the only ones.

In fairness, I would say the EU has more influence from corporations than any other 'government' bar the US:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/lobbyists-european-parliament-brus

"30,000 lobbyists and counting: is Brussels under corporate sway?

From mobile phone charges to nations' interests, these shadowy agitators are estimated to influence 75% of European legislation"

Pre-referendum article from the Guardian.
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:33 - Jun 22 with 3183 viewsNo9

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 08:13 - Jun 22 by Steve_M

To think we're two years on from the referendum and the government still does not have a realistic and achievable plan for a future trading relationship with Europe. It isn't remotely surprising that firms with integrated cross-border supply chains will need serious contingency plans for the loss of single market access.

There seems to be a complete lack of understanding amongst most politicians or media commentators as to just how important the single market is to the UK's economic prosperity. It's all a bloody game to most of them, they won't be going to Broughton or Sunderland if Nissan pull out and tell the people there why they lied to them.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 9:42]

While Mr Rees-Mogss company sets up in Ireland to avoid the problems?
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:39 - Jun 22 with 3177 viewsNo9

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:36 - Jun 22 by BOjK

I took a tour of the Mini garage recently (with Mrs BOjK, who drives one). The efficiency of the production line is amazing. You can tell how much work has gone into streamlining the manufacturing process.

Parts arrive all the time, but hardly wait around on the site. Straight off the lorry, then turned into cars (mostly by robots), just before the next lorry arrives.

The site is surprisingly close to the centre of oxford, with no room to expand. Not only would keeping more stock onsite to counteract the potential effects of slowdown at the ports be ruinously expensive, it is practically impossible as there isn't the space. Instead they'd have to try store the good elsewhere. Which would mean sourcing land, getting planning permission, and building a storage facility somewhere in Oxfordshire. Where of course sites suitable for industrial development are both plentiful and cheap.

I've no idea what contingency plans they (and Nissan, and others) have put in place, but "no-deal" would cut them off at the knees - Airbus spoke of costs of £1bn per week of accrued delay. But even the golden scenario of a transition to a life outside the Customs Union would be a major handicap.

Our political classes sadly just don't have the skills to manage these problems and agree on and then deliver an appropriate strategy. I didn't realise it would be this bad. I fear the worst.

Nissan have told the business secretary he cost of establishing a third party provider of components just to satisfy their needs is £100 mn & they won't be doing it.

All these suppliers, however are jut the other side of the English channel

I suppose Lawson could always fill the boot of his motor as he drives the HoL to drop us even deeper in it?
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:57 - Jun 22 with 3157 viewsSwansea_Blue

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 12:33 - Jun 22 by No9

While Mr Rees-Mogss company sets up in Ireland to avoid the problems?

Yeah, they know we're heading for a car crash alright.

In fairness, it can't be easy balancing common sense against the opportunity for cheap political capital!

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:08 - Jun 22 with 3145 viewsClapham_Junction

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:30 - Jun 22 by soupytwist

I think he/she means that if the government had taken notice of those who felt disenfrachised by UK politics at an earlier stage then they wouldn't have used their vote in the referendum to express that frustration with the government.

Or if they'd been offered a different way of expressing that frustration, instead of the referendum. Like a general election perhaps, clearly the one in 2010 wasn't a good enough opportunity. Or the chance to change the voting system in this country so that minority parties like UKIP (who were unlikely to win a parliamentary seat under first past the post) could potentially stand a better chance.

Oh, but there were those chances and other people chose to vote differently.

The main issue IMO is that the government has used the EU as a scapegoat or distraction for the problems caused by its own policies, and much of the media has happily supported them in doing so.
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:09 - Jun 22 with 3142 viewssoupytwist

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 11:25 - Jun 22 by Burwell_Blue

So, having voted out the New Labour government which declined the opportunity to limit immigration from new member states of the EU and not getting any action from subsequent governments on the matter (other than a commitment to limiting net migration to 100,000 per year) those who voted out decided to remove us from the institution that made possible some of the immigration to this country?

They appear to have emptied the bath, and forgot about the small child that's also gone down the plughole. Well done them.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 13:11]
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:11 - Jun 22 with 3139 viewsNo9

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:41 - Jun 22 by Swansea_Blue

Yes, preparations have ben under way for a while. I'm good friends with one of their Directors.

And you wouldn't expect anything else. You can't expect companies like this to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the government to decide what it wants. They need clarity and they need it now (well, 2 years ago ideally).

The tories don't understand how companies like Airbus work.
The utilisation of highly skilled tecnicians is somethign beyond their comprehension
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:12 - Jun 22 with 3134 viewsNo9

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 08:12 - Jun 22 by dickie

And using up all the north sea fish stocks

You need to study the history of fishing in Uk waters
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:30 - Jun 22 with 3112 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 08:17 - Jun 22 by nrb1985

Fish

the dutch have electrocuted them all - with their new way of fishing
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 14:42 - Jun 22 with 3065 viewsBurwell_Blue

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 13:09 - Jun 22 by soupytwist

So, having voted out the New Labour government which declined the opportunity to limit immigration from new member states of the EU and not getting any action from subsequent governments on the matter (other than a commitment to limiting net migration to 100,000 per year) those who voted out decided to remove us from the institution that made possible some of the immigration to this country?

They appear to have emptied the bath, and forgot about the small child that's also gone down the plughole. Well done them.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 13:11]

" those who voted out decided to remove us from the institution that made possible some of the immigration to this country?"

That doesn't actually make sense, however one would presume that given the wake up call of voting out, you would hope that the government would drastically reduce immigration?
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 14:45 - Jun 22 with 3063 viewsSarge

Where's pickles66666 when you need him, to reassure us all that it's ok and we didn't need Airbus anyway? It's not like him to go quiet when his completely nonsensical opinions are challenged.
Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 14:47 - Jun 22 with 3061 viewsSarge

Possible bad news regarding Airbus on 10:23 - Jun 22 by Burwell_Blue

Sigh. If only the government had heeded the warnings that were given, then I and many others would have voted remain instead of using our vote as a chance to sulk and show our displeasure.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2018 10:24]

If you were willing to put thousands of people's livelihoods at risk to make some point to the government on a matter you don't even support then frankly you shouldn't be allowed to vote. It's a disgrace.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024