Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... 10:01 - Feb 28 with 10321 viewsblueysbackside

....would anyone like Frank Lampard in charge?
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 11:10 - Feb 28 with 3697 viewsBlueBadger

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 10:56 - Feb 28 by goat_man

As long as he wasn't given a stupidly long contract without at least proving he plays the correct positive attacking football then why the heck not? It would be something exciting and different to look at, which is what we desperately need.

Plus, he's VERY famous. What's his press conference game like?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 11:21 - Feb 28 with 3675 viewsCurrie10

No I would not!
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 11:22 - Feb 28 with 3675 viewsmonty_radio

Does anyone know if Lampard had done his coaching badges?

And, even so, it would seem an unlikely backwater to take himself off to.

Personally, I'd rather not be "Frank Lampard's Ipswich" or "Frank Skinner's Ipswich" either (tho' he'd probably be first in line at W.B.A. after Pardew).

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 11:29 - Feb 28 with 3672 viewsbontcho

At least it would be interesting and would probably suggest a change in philosophy and a few quid spent on the team. Often with appointments like this it is about who they surround themselves with.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:05 - Feb 28 with 3624 viewsmonty_radio

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 11:29 - Feb 28 by bontcho

At least it would be interesting and would probably suggest a change in philosophy and a few quid spent on the team. Often with appointments like this it is about who they surround themselves with.

So might he bring in Rio, Gary and Stevie G too?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:10 - Feb 28 with 3621 viewsHarryWright

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 10:54 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Of course though, when the only real selling point for them having the job is the fact that they are famous...

Just calling him famous is slightly untrue, he quite clearly has knowledge of the game - plenty of experience and has worked under some top managers. I think he has a bit more than just fame playing at the top level for that long.

If you're saying it's only the fact that he's famous then we might as well appoint Ed Sheeran.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:11 - Feb 28 with 3621 viewsKitman

no.

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:19 - Feb 28 with 3614 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:10 - Feb 28 by HarryWright

Just calling him famous is slightly untrue, he quite clearly has knowledge of the game - plenty of experience and has worked under some top managers. I think he has a bit more than just fame playing at the top level for that long.

If you're saying it's only the fact that he's famous then we might as well appoint Ed Sheeran.

Agree with that.. And most importantly he has worked under a number of different managers.

I can't think of any United player who played the majority of their football under Fergie who has gone on to do anything (Keane & Neville) as they only know one way of working, which was clearly an exceptional period in time with an exceptional manager.
Login to get fewer ads

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:29 - Feb 28 with 3610 viewsblueislander

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:10 - Feb 28 by HarryWright

Ed Sheeran? - Perfect.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:50 - Feb 28 with 3594 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I mean it could work but it would be a hell of a lucky gamble if it did. Wouldn’t actual coaching experience and qualifications be of more benefit?

Marcus Bent played under lots of managers too, we should probably consider him aswell

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:50 - Feb 28 with 3593 viewsHarryWright

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:29 - Feb 28 by blueislander

Ed Sheeran? - Perfect.

I see what you did there
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:58 - Feb 28 with 3583 viewsHarryWright

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:50 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I mean it could work but it would be a hell of a lucky gamble if it did. Wouldn’t actual coaching experience and qualifications be of more benefit?

Marcus Bent played under lots of managers too, we should probably consider him aswell

I'm not saying it would work. It's quite clearly a huge risk, however all managers start somewhere with no experience.

Again I don't think Bent is a good comparison. Lampard played at the top level, and the same club for a number of years not to mention managers of a much higher quality than Bent. He's been to world cups and got a number of caps for England, I'm sure he probably has an idea of youth development having been at Chelsea for so long.

There are much safer options out there but I think it's harsh to dismiss Lampard just because he isn't experienced.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:04 - Feb 28 with 3576 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:58 - Feb 28 by HarryWright

I'm not saying it would work. It's quite clearly a huge risk, however all managers start somewhere with no experience.

Again I don't think Bent is a good comparison. Lampard played at the top level, and the same club for a number of years not to mention managers of a much higher quality than Bent. He's been to world cups and got a number of caps for England, I'm sure he probably has an idea of youth development having been at Chelsea for so long.

There are much safer options out there but I think it's harsh to dismiss Lampard just because he isn't experienced.

All managers start somewhere - yes, preferably lower down the ladder or within the coaching ranks before progressing to manager

And if we’re going to go for playing experience, wouldn’t someone who has experience of the Championship be a much better fit for a Championship side than someone who has none? But then they’re probably not as famous as Lampard I guess

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:16 - Feb 28 with 3563 viewsHarryWright

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:04 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All managers start somewhere - yes, preferably lower down the ladder or within the coaching ranks before progressing to manager

And if we’re going to go for playing experience, wouldn’t someone who has experience of the Championship be a much better fit for a Championship side than someone who has none? But then they’re probably not as famous as Lampard I guess

No need to be condescending. Why does it have to be down the ladder? Jim done a decent job here in his first job. I guess there's a difference in that he knew the club/league inside out but it's an example of someone taking there first job at this level.

I don't buy this whole experience of championship is needed. It's knowledge of football generally, look at Wagner and Jokanovic - both successful neither played in this league.

I'm not even saying I'd want Lampard as manager just think it's harsh to highlight his only credential as being famous.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:31 - Feb 28 with 3558 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:16 - Feb 28 by HarryWright

No need to be condescending. Why does it have to be down the ladder? Jim done a decent job here in his first job. I guess there's a difference in that he knew the club/league inside out but it's an example of someone taking there first job at this level.

I don't buy this whole experience of championship is needed. It's knowledge of football generally, look at Wagner and Jokanovic - both successful neither played in this league.

I'm not even saying I'd want Lampard as manager just think it's harsh to highlight his only credential as being famous.

You answered your own question with Jim

And Jokanovic and Wagner were a bit different in that they had extensive coaching experience before managing clubs over here

Lampard has next to no coaching experience, and as far as I can tell from a Google search no coaching badges. The latest I could find was from September saying he was doing them and occasionally helping out Jody Morris with Chelsea U18’s. He also has little knowledge or experience of the division. Other than being someone people have heard of, I’m struggling to see any reason he should be in the running for a Championship job

There is of course a small chance that Lampard could be an absolutely brilliant manager, a complete natural who could step in and be a success from day 1. But it is incredibly more likely that he isn’t

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:46 - Feb 28 with 3545 viewsHarryWright

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:31 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You answered your own question with Jim

And Jokanovic and Wagner were a bit different in that they had extensive coaching experience before managing clubs over here

Lampard has next to no coaching experience, and as far as I can tell from a Google search no coaching badges. The latest I could find was from September saying he was doing them and occasionally helping out Jody Morris with Chelsea U18’s. He also has little knowledge or experience of the division. Other than being someone people have heard of, I’m struggling to see any reason he should be in the running for a Championship job

There is of course a small chance that Lampard could be an absolutely brilliant manager, a complete natural who could step in and be a success from day 1. But it is incredibly more likely that he isn’t

I think all in all I agree with you, he shouldn't be in the running at this point because he doesn't have his badges and he hasn't got any experience. I do think however he deserves to be categorized as more than just famous.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:50 - Feb 28 with 3531 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:46 - Feb 28 by HarryWright

I think all in all I agree with you, he shouldn't be in the running at this point because he doesn't have his badges and he hasn't got any experience. I do think however he deserves to be categorized as more than just famous.

Ok, famous and former very good player

We’ll pop in the pool with Keane, Neville, Barnes, Ince, Adams and Shearer then

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 15:52 - Feb 28 with 3525 viewsHennikerBlu

Not for me, not enough experience. Its not just coaching in this league you need to be able to wheel and deal, especially on zero budget. The reality is few top players make great managers. I hope he does if that is what he wants as I admire him as a player. Has reacted to matters involving the press in the past, which I can completely understand as they were personal. But a thick skin is critical in the job to enjoy all that cough cough feedback.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 15:54]
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 16:21 - Feb 28 with 3510 viewsSwansea_Blue

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 14:19 - Feb 28 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Agree with that.. And most importantly he has worked under a number of different managers.

I can't think of any United player who played the majority of their football under Fergie who has gone on to do anything (Keane & Neville) as they only know one way of working, which was clearly an exceptional period in time with an exceptional manager.

Steve Bruce has done pretty well. And Sparky, although he had a decent stint at Chelski too after Urnited. But generally yep, despite Fergie being an incredibly successful manager his players haven't been able to make the transition.

Feck knows with someone like Lampard. My first thought was 'no way', yet get the right team around him and who knows. He hasn't got much experience as a coach, but neither did SBR or Burley when they came here. It comes down to their approach and attitude and the ability of ME to make a good call on what will fit us. Which is why I have no expectations as ME's track record is a bit rubbish.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 17:19 - Feb 28 with 3494 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 16:21 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

Steve Bruce has done pretty well. And Sparky, although he had a decent stint at Chelski too after Urnited. But generally yep, despite Fergie being an incredibly successful manager his players haven't been able to make the transition.

Feck knows with someone like Lampard. My first thought was 'no way', yet get the right team around him and who knows. He hasn't got much experience as a coach, but neither did SBR or Burley when they came here. It comes down to their approach and attitude and the ability of ME to make a good call on what will fit us. Which is why I have no expectations as ME's track record is a bit rubbish.

I’ve obviously made my thoughts clear already in this thread, but...

Burley had managed 2 other teams prior to joining Town, and been coach of another
Robson had been coaching for approx 10 years before joining Town, and had experience managing Fulham

Lampard has not finished his coaching badges, and his experience amounts to helping out with Chelsea U18’s, seemingly for a few months at best

He may well make a good manager, but there really isn’t a logical reason to even consider him
[Post edited 28 Feb 2018 17:19]

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 20:42 - Feb 28 with 3467 viewsLower_North

It's a no from me,sorry.
if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 20:55 - Feb 28 with 3459 viewsParisBlue

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 17:19 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Burley had managed 2 other teams prior to joining Town, and been coach of another
Robson had been coaching for approx 10 years before joining Town, and had experience managing Fulham

Lampard has not finished his coaching badges, and his experience amounts to helping out with Chelsea U18’s, seemingly for a few months at best

He may well make a good manager, but there really isn’t a logical reason to even consider him

So...would you prefer a Simon Grayson or a Phil Parkinson?

Both reasonable managers but neither particularly exciting.

Is Lampard or Arteta any more of a risk than Darrell Clark, the Cowley's or the dutch geezer?

It's all irrelevant though. We've another 2 years of MM.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 21:00 - Feb 28 with 3459 viewsVic

Our two best managers were both recently retired players, with limited management experience.

It’s the Ipswich way.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 21:02 - Feb 28 with 3456 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 20:55 - Feb 28 by ParisBlue

So...would you prefer a Simon Grayson or a Phil Parkinson?

Both reasonable managers but neither particularly exciting.

Is Lampard or Arteta any more of a risk than Darrell Clark, the Cowley's or the dutch geezer?

It's all irrelevant though. We've another 2 years of MM.

No, I’d rather an up and coming manager but one with experience - preferably successfully in the lower leagues

Yes, he would be

I still think he’ll go, but we’ll see

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 21:14 - Feb 28 with 3443 viewsVic

if Mick does leave at the end of the season..... on 17:19 - Feb 28 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You sure SBR had been coaching for 10 yrs before he came here? He had a v brief stint as player manager in Canada, and then a year at Fulham.

Hardly experienced.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024