Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? 17:39 - Jan 10 with 33425 viewsamy73

There will always be pressures and individual problems but, in general, the NHS seems to be in much better hands under the Tories. It’s never treated so many people so efficiently.

I think Labour are playing a dangerous game here by running it down.
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:38 - Jan 11 with 4291 viewsLeoMuff

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 19:56 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

The problem with an insurance based system is will you let someone die if they have opted out.

We really need a compulsory £10 a month health tax.

Politicians would have got slaughtered in the past but I reckon if the chancellor stood up and said “Now look here, the NHS is bankrupt. We are going to introduce a £10 a month compulsory health fee and every penny will go to the NHS and you will get your teeth done for free as well from now”, I reckon it would go down well****

*** aside from the fools that jump on things for no other reason but to criticise.

It’s all very well billing us £10 per head, when companies like Shell, Starbucks, Kellogg’s , vodaphone et al pay less in corporation tax then I pay in income tax, that to me is where reform needs to be made and put back into things like health and social care.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:44 - Jan 11 with 4280 viewsGlasgowBlue

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:38 - Jan 11 by LeoMuff

It’s all very well billing us £10 per head, when companies like Shell, Starbucks, Kellogg’s , vodaphone et al pay less in corporation tax then I pay in income tax, that to me is where reform needs to be made and put back into things like health and social care.

Corporation Tax. Like the NHS, was a great idea in the last century but is unworkable today.

It was fine when the majority of business was done from buildings in one country. Now business is far more fluid and doesn't recognise borders in the same way it once did. Do you tax a business that is making a loss overall but a profit in one particular country? It's impossible to regulate unless you had a world tax system and that ain't ever gonna happen as each country makes their taxes more competitive to attract business from another country.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:45 - Jan 11 with 4282 viewsGunnsAirkick

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 19:47 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

A national debate where we take the emotion out of the conversation and look at how and why survival rates, patient outcomes and satisfaction are better in most other EU countries than ours.

We pay for the NHS out of our taxes and NI contributions so it's not free yet are we getting our bang for our buck. Could an insurance based system with safety nets for those on low on no income as they do in Holland work?

I don't know. But find me a politician who is brave enough to instigate that debate and I'll listen to him or her.

My concern is a drift onto an American style system with those who can't afford it are left without cover; you then have an enforced tiered health system. Some kind of flat rate tax or even just raising taxes in general (for those in employment and can afford it, so most of the population) I'd be all for, that way people who can't afford it still have access to the same treatment as everyone else.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 21:46]
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:47 - Jan 11 with 4277 viewsGlasgowBlue

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:45 - Jan 11 by GunnsAirkick

My concern is a drift onto an American style system with those who can't afford it are left without cover; you then have an enforced tiered health system. Some kind of flat rate tax or even just raising taxes in general (for those in employment and can afford it, so most of the population) I'd be all for, that way people who can't afford it still have access to the same treatment as everyone else.

This is something I addressed earlier on. As soon as somebody mentions an alternative to the NHS the counterpoint put forward is the USA. Probably one of the worst health care systems in the world. We should be looking far closer to home in Europe.

Edit. And I am against any sort of taxation to fund it as it keeps the service in the hands of politicians.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 21:54]

Iron Lion Zion

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:57 - Jan 11 with 4262 viewsLord_Lucan

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:45 - Jan 11 by GunnsAirkick

No. Raising taxes in general will not help The NHS as the money will be filtered into something else. A specified compulsory health tax is the only way to go. Mind you that is what national insurance contributions were supposed to be for.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 22:12 - Jan 11 with 4242 viewsGlasgowBlue

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:57 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

No. Raising taxes in general will not help The NHS as the money will be filtered into something else. A specified compulsory health tax is the only way to go. Mind you that is what national insurance contributions were supposed to be for.

I'm going to give this a read when I have the time. The foreword makes interesting reason and addresses your fears regarding an insurance based system.

https://iea.org.uk/publications/universal-healthcare-without-the-nhs/

It would be far more insightful to benchmark the NHS against social health insurance (SHI) systems, the model of healthcare adopted by Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Israel. Like the NHS, SHI systems also achieve universal access to healthcare, albeit in a different way, namely through a combination of means-tested insurance premium subsidies, community rating and risk structure compensation. Unlike in the US, there is therefore no uninsured population (even homeless people have health insurance), and there is no such thing as a ‘medical bankruptcy’. When it comes to providing high-quality healthcare to the poor, these systems are second to none: in this respect, there is nothing the NHS has achieved which the SHI systems have not also achieved.

If a politician tried to start this debate he would be jumped on as a heretic.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 22:13]

Iron Lion Zion

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:14 - Jan 12 with 4204 viewsNo9

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 18:33 - Jan 10 by GlasgowBlue

A bankrupt economy under Labour would destroy the NHS. That said, it's an outdated system of health care that sees us lag far behind our European neighbours in survival rates.

This is well worth a read.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/the-nhs-cannot-heal-itself/

We have to see past the NHS as some sort of religion or envy of the world. It's neither. We should be able to discuss a better way of offering healthcare in this country.

More rubbish from the 'speccie'
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:21 - Jan 12 with 4200 viewsNo9

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 22:12 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

I'm going to give this a read when I have the time. The foreword makes interesting reason and addresses your fears regarding an insurance based system.

https://iea.org.uk/publications/universal-healthcare-without-the-nhs/

It would be far more insightful to benchmark the NHS against social health insurance (SHI) systems, the model of healthcare adopted by Switzerland, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and Israel. Like the NHS, SHI systems also achieve universal access to healthcare, albeit in a different way, namely through a combination of means-tested insurance premium subsidies, community rating and risk structure compensation. Unlike in the US, there is therefore no uninsured population (even homeless people have health insurance), and there is no such thing as a ‘medical bankruptcy’. When it comes to providing high-quality healthcare to the poor, these systems are second to none: in this respect, there is nothing the NHS has achieved which the SHI systems have not also achieved.

If a politician tried to start this debate he would be jumped on as a heretic.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 22:13]

To have an insurance based system you need two things
Competent honest insurance companies = missing from the UK.
People who can afford insurance; it may have escaped you, although it shouldn't but the UK has vast numbers of Foodbanks to feed people and serious numbers of homeless.

How do homeless people who can't afford to feed themselves afford insurance?

I have business contacts and friends in Europe, there is considerable unrest over the 'inusrance systems there, as an example the Dutch governemnt has been forced to rethink the whole thing. It doesn't work.
Login to get fewer ads

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:39 - Jan 12 with 4193 viewsblue_oyster

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:49 - Jan 12 with 4194 viewsGunnsAirkick

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:47 - Jan 11 by GlasgowBlue

This is something I addressed earlier on. As soon as somebody mentions an alternative to the NHS the counterpoint put forward is the USA. Probably one of the worst health care systems in the world. We should be looking far closer to home in Europe.

Edit. And I am against any sort of taxation to fund it as it keeps the service in the hands of politicians.
[Post edited 11 Jan 2018 21:54]

I'm not against a premium as long like you say there are safety nets in place for those that cannot afford it. I like Lucan's idea and it seems to be along the lines of what you're saying.

If you mean giving more power to Health Professionals to run the service with the NHS also remaining a public institution that also wouldn't be a bad thing. If you mean completely handing it over to private ownership then I think that is a slippery slope towards an US style system (I am not saying that you want an US style system, just that it is a concern for me personally as we do follow America in a lot of ways).
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 9:56]
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:51 - Jan 12 with 4190 viewsGunnsAirkick

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 21:57 - Jan 11 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well. I meant a stand alone tax or premium for those that can afford it (most of the population), I like your idea a lot.

EDIT: If people are alright with paying £12 p.m. for their T.V. Licence, surely a similar amount for the NHS is a no brainer?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 9:55]
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 10:43 - Jan 12 with 4163 viewsRyorry

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:49 - Jan 12 by GunnsAirkick

I'm not against a premium as long like you say there are safety nets in place for those that cannot afford it. I like Lucan's idea and it seems to be along the lines of what you're saying.

If you mean giving more power to Health Professionals to run the service with the NHS also remaining a public institution that also wouldn't be a bad thing. If you mean completely handing it over to private ownership then I think that is a slippery slope towards an US style system (I am not saying that you want an US style system, just that it is a concern for me personally as we do follow America in a lot of ways).
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 9:56]

Cost of bureaucracy in the NHS by Ryorry 14 Nov 2017 17:39
Was chatting with my NHS podiatrist yesterday as she tended my feet in a clinic held weekly at my GP's surgery -

1. They (NHS Podiatry Dept. from local hospital 15 miles away) have to pay *rent* to my (NHS) GP's practice for the use of the room!! Anyone like to come up with a rough figure for the cost of the admin on that? Form-filling, accountant's time? etc

2. This room needed new cleats on the wall for each of the two cords for each of the windows' blinds - elfen safety so children don't climb across two desks and hang themselves on the cords ... The cleats were bought and installed, but then their installation had to be confirmed as done. HQ wouldn't accept such confirmation over the phone from the podiatrist, but insisted on sending *two* men in a van from miles away to check... well, maybe each man couldn't count to more than one?! [doh]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 10:49 - Jan 12 with 4157 viewsNo9

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:51 - Jan 12 by GunnsAirkick

Sorry I didn't explain myself too well. I meant a stand alone tax or premium for those that can afford it (most of the population), I like your idea a lot.

EDIT: If people are alright with paying £12 p.m. for their T.V. Licence, surely a similar amount for the NHS is a no brainer?

I have had a letter from our dentist to say that, as of March this year, they will no longer offer an NHS service because the money from the government doesn't cover their costs.
I can either 'pay per visit' of take out their preferred Dental Insurance
The latter costs £350, p.p. per annum X 2 for my wife & I, and only covers part of the costs.
The additional costs mean I have to budget for at least £1k per annum.
on 10:57 - Jan 12 with 4148 views_

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 11:15 - Jan 12 with 4131 viewsLord_Lucan

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 09:51 - Jan 12 by GunnsAirkick

Let's face it, how much do people pay per month on Sky TV?

I think I pay about £70 a month which is ridiculous - note to self, sort your life out - I reckon on average people pay at least £30, this is purely to watch cr4p on TV.

Means tested? If you have to, but how many unemployed people haven't got Sky? Edit. That was a bit harsh.

Remember that Smash advert? the aliens laughing about us peeling potatoes, you could turn that around to a health tax. "They pay £70 a month to watch sh1t but they have no one to help them when they are dying"

[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 11:53]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 11:17 - Jan 12 with 4127 viewsunbelievablue

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 11:15 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

I think I pay about £70 a month which is ridiculous - note to self, sort your life out - I reckon on average people pay at least £30, this is purely to watch cr4p on TV.

Means tested? If you have to, but how many unemployed people haven't got Sky? Edit. That was a bit harsh.

Remember that Smash advert? the aliens laughing about us peeling potatoes, you could turn that around to a health tax. "They pay £70 a month to watch sh1t but they have no one to help them when they are dying"

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 11:20 - Jan 12 with 4117 viewsBackToRussia

on 10:57 - Jan 12 by _

Have a quick look through "her" post history if you want to be further stupefied.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:06 - Jan 12 with 4092 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 11:15 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Another way would be to charge people for services that are not illness related. For example it costs the NHS £6000 for a normal birth (no complications). I can’t see any reason why the parents shouldn’t cough up at least half of that if they can afford it

Edit: actually scrub that idea... we just need to start taxing everyone a LOT more
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:07]
The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:35 - Jan 12 with 4073 viewsRyorry

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:06 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

Another way would be to charge people for services that are not illness related. For example it costs the NHS £6000 for a normal birth (no complications). I can’t see any reason why the parents shouldn’t cough up at least half of that if they can afford it

Edit: actually scrub that idea... we just need to start taxing everyone a LOT more
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:07]

Fertility treatment tho ... ? Over-populated planet, and being able to have kids = a gift, not a right?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:36]

on 12:38 - Jan 12 with 4064 views_

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:35 - Jan 12 by Ryorry

Fertility treatment tho ... ? Over-populated planet, and being able to have kids = a gift, not a right?
[Post edited 12 Jan 2018 12:36]

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:42 - Jan 12 with 4058 viewsNo9

on 12:38 - Jan 12 by _

This of course opens debate as to what should / & should not be available on the NHS.
Somethings could be done on a 'loan' basis, such as fertility treatment.
Some such as drunkedness on a PAY per visit.
Sports injuries to be covered by Insurance - ditto motor accidents
& so on & so on
on 12:43 - Jan 12 with 4056 views_

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:42 - Jan 12 by No9

This of course opens debate as to what should / & should not be available on the NHS.
Somethings could be done on a 'loan' basis, such as fertility treatment.
Some such as drunkedness on a PAY per visit.
Sports injuries to be covered by Insurance - ditto motor accidents
& so on & so on

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:45 - Jan 12 with 4053 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

They should probably be putting it up as much as possible
on 12:46 - Jan 12 with 4051 views_

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:45 - Jan 12 by FrowsyArmLarry

They should probably be putting it up as much as possible

The NHS is in the best state of its life, so why are Labour attacking it? on 12:51 - Jan 12 with 4047 viewsRyorry

That's my stand in that particular debate, yes.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024