Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paracetamol / NHS 11:04 - Nov 21 with 9858 viewsgiant_stow

Someone I know got out of hospital yesterday after having both kneecaps replaced (had them done on Thurs and was treated beyond well in a state of the art NHS hospital, so this isn't a rant). On leaving they told her that they don't give out Paracetamol has it costs a few pence in the shop, but the NHS pays £9.20 per packet.

I just don't understand how that can be? Anyone know why that's the price? Are all drugs that much to the NHS?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:00 - Nov 21 with 3085 viewsbluefunk

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:50 - Nov 21 by BOjK

I discovered - by chance - that if you by ibuprofen over the counter they sell you them in greater quantities. I was offered either 48 or 96.

May well be the same with paracetemol (unless high quantities of ibuprofen are safer).

an overdose of paracetamol can be fatal, perhaps that's why? only a guess
Paracetamol / NHS on 12:01 - Nov 21 with 3083 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you sure they didn't mean the prescription cost rather than the amount they pay?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:05 - Nov 21 with 3076 viewsgerard1947

I can't exactly remember the figures but it was reported on 5 Live this morning that a drug that a few years ago was being sold to the NHS for less than a tenner is now being sold for over £200 per prescription. It was thought the costs of manufacture hadn't risen much either.

I'm sure the NHS are getting ripped off somewhat by the drug companies and I'm not confident the NHS are that good at challenging it.

That said I do understand that development of new medicines are dependant on profits on existing drugs.

On the subject of knee replacements, they are life changing operations. My wife has had both of hers done, painful for a few months following the op but well worth it.
Paracetamol / NHS on 12:07 - Nov 21 with 3065 viewsBurwell_Blue

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:07 - Nov 21 by giant_stow

I sh1t you not. This was word for word from the main nurse who'd been looking after her - its policy at UCH on Euston road.

Perfectly correct and has been that way for years.

Always ask your GP if what you are about to receive will be cheaper to buy yourself rather than through prescription.
Paracetamol / NHS on 12:35 - Nov 21 with 3036 viewsLord_Lucan

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:43 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

I think what has happened has been misinterpreted here...

We had the same when my wife had an operation - and they said you may as well buy the paracetamol at the shop (including the one in the hospital) because if they prescribe it to you then you have to pay the normal prescription cost - which presumably is now £9.20.

Obviously if you were pregnant, or U18, or unemployed or whatever other allowances they are they could prescribe it for free, but in most cases it's better just to buy it over the counter

Not while she was in there though surely, Whilst captive it is free.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:38 - Nov 21 with 3042 viewshampstead_blue

Makes perfect sense.

If you spend a few pence on a generic drug, you will save the NHS and yourself a fortune.

It applies to many other generics like ibuprofen

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:44 - Nov 21 with 3033 viewsRyorry

Cost of bureaucracy in the NHS by Ryorry 14 Nov 2017 17:39
Was chatting with my NHS podiatrist yesterday as she tended my feet in a clinic held weekly at my GP's surgery -

1. They (NHS Podiatry Dept. from local hospital 15 miles away) have to pay *rent* to my (NHS) GP's practice for the use of the room!! Anyone like to come up with a rough figure for the cost of the admin on that? Form-filling, accountant's time? etc

2. This room needed new cleats on the wall for each of the two cords for each of the windows' blinds - elfen safety so children don't climb across two desks and hang themselves on the cords ... The cleats were bought and installed, but then their installation had to be confirmed as done. HQ wouldn't accept such confirmation over the phone from the podiatrist, but insisted on sending *two* men in a van from miles away to check... well, maybe each man couldn't count to more than one?! [doh]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Paracetamol / NHS on 14:04 - Nov 21 with 2987 viewsBlueBadger

Prescriber time, storage and pharmacy vetting time.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2017 14:06]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Paracetamol / NHS on 14:05 - Nov 21 with 2983 viewsBlueBadger

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:00 - Nov 21 by bluefunk

an overdose of paracetamol can be fatal, perhaps that's why? only a guess

Basically that. Studies have shown that whilst you won't put off the genuinely, desperately ill who are trying to overdose on them, you will discourage most i they have to go from shop-to-shop.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Paracetamol / NHS on 14:10 - Nov 21 with 2981 viewsBlueBadger

Paracetamol / NHS on 12:38 - Nov 21 by hampstead_blue

Makes perfect sense.

If you spend a few pence on a generic drug, you will save the NHS and yourself a fortune.

It applies to many other generics like ibuprofen

Pretty much any generic, over-the-counter drug falls into this category.

Paracetamol / NHS on 14:13 - Nov 21 with 2979 viewsBluebell

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:48 - Nov 21 by usm

Prescriptions are £8.60 - or at least they were this morning.

This is the reason.

GPs will advise you to buy paracetamol from Sainsburys or the like instead of paying full prescitpion price.
Paracetamol / NHS on 14:22 - Nov 21 with 2964 viewsNo9

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:05 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Given it's out of copyright and that's why it costs 20p in Boots I don't see how that can be correct.

SB

It is easy - the NHS has to procure within guidelines set out by the SoS which is why both the 92 & 2012 health bills need to be repealed
Paracetamol / NHS on 18:09 - Nov 21 with 2920 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/21/canadian-drugs-firm-accused-overc

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Paracetamol / NHS on 18:35 - Nov 21 with 2912 viewsgerard1947

Paracetamol / NHS on 18:09 - Nov 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/11/21/canadian-drugs-firm-accused-overc

That's the one.
Paracetamol / NHS on 18:51 - Nov 21 with 2901 viewsSwansea_Blue

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:07 - Nov 21 by giant_stow

I sh1t you not. This was word for word from the main nurse who'd been looking after her - its policy at UCH on Euston road.

Wouldn't be the first time a company with a framework contract takes the pee and charges well over the market rate. It happens wherever companies can get away with it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paracetamol / NHS on 19:07 - Nov 21 with 2894 viewsRadlett_blue

Paracetamol / NHS on 11:54 - Nov 21 by homer_123

Standard prescription cost.

Any erstwhile chemist will review your prescription and advise you if you can buy cheaper over the counter.

There is strong evidence to support two things:

1. NHS overpaying for drugs by not being efficient
2. NHS overpaying for drugs based on monopolies and price fixing

That being said, paracetamol isn't one of those - it's simply cheaper to buy it over the counter and the advise from the doctor or nurse in this situ is sound and sage.

A decent chemist will point you in the direction of the cheaper, generic off patent drugs, but some make them hard to find so the unwary consumers pay £5 for something that should cost about 40p.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024