Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh well, it had to happen! 17:26 - Sep 8 with 13044 viewsRammo

I was hoping that as my little man grew older he'd start coming to more games with me and we'd enjoy the football experience together. He used to like coming to the occasional game and has been a junior blue for several years.
But tonight he came home from school and announced he is going to support Chelsea and a small piece of my soul died
I've even got to go and buy a strip for him now as the ITFC one he doesn't want to wear any more!
I just hope he sees the error of his ways when he gets old enough to know better.

Even when you feel down always remember its just a game.

Oh well, it had to happen! on 20:03 - Sep 8 with 4914 views12th_Man

You've let yourself and all of us down

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

Oh well, it had to happen! on 20:16 - Sep 8 with 4907 viewsStenvict

Oh well, it had to happen! on 17:38 - Sep 8 by jas0999

Can you blame him? ITFC used to appeal to the kids. A real family club with gpfamily friendly feel. It doesn't seem to have that anymore.

There is also more pressure on kids to support the so called glory clubs.

Although I'm from Aberdeen I supported Town because my Dad encouraged me to as he was a big fan from the area, not because it was a family club, and now I attend every game home and away in his memory.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Oh well, it had to happen! on 20:27 - Sep 8 with 4887 viewsNazemariner

Ultimately your son can support whichever team he sees fit, but you do have a moral obligation to steer him on the right direction.

Some early brainwashing has made sure my 5 year old sons blood runs blue, but I know that sooner or later he will be tempted by the dark side. Even is he does switch allegiances there is not a hope in hell of me buying him another teams kit, let alone taking him to a game.
on 21:33 - Sep 8 with 4848 views_

Oh well, it had to happen! on 18:53 - Sep 8 by GlasgowBlue

I had a similar experience 2 years ago when my boy was 15. He was a season ticket holder from the age of seven, been a mascot and loved the club.Some national newspapers did a story on us when he won the True Blue award for all the travelling we did to and from Scotland to watch games. My proudest moment was when Arsenal scored their third goal against us in the League Cup semi final and he burst into tears. I thought he was a Town fan for life.

Two years ago he was packing for a school trip to Barcelona to train at their complex and he wouldn't pack his Ipswich kit because people would laugh at him. I had to buy him a Rangers, Man U and Arsenal strip.

He listens out for out results but that's as far as it goes.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2017 18:55]

Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:16 - Sep 8 with 4810 viewsGodzilla

Children do not have to always get what they want, ever heard of we can't afford it.
Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:21 - Sep 8 with 4803 viewsDurovigutum

Took my boy to the Europa league final, he wanted a Man Utd shirt after that. £60? No. I would rather he was a Norwich fan than a Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City "fan". Seriously. He went to the Ipswich summer soccer school and then the Brentford game (wearing his Ipswich "Barcelona" change kit) and now he's forgotten Man Utd even exist.... FIFA is set as ITFC as his "home" team, he and his little brother are now junior blues too. Don't give up so easily... His other team are Barcelona, but that's because we went to see them at the Nou Camp at Easter and is allowed...
Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:39 - Sep 8 with 4795 viewsGunnsAirkick

This will upset some but here we go.

My wife is a scummer. When it comes to kids she is adamant that they will support the Budgies (we live in Norwich). If the choice is between them and Man Utd or Chelsea I will actively make them support the Budgies if they won't support Town. I cannot bear them going down the glory hunter route.
Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:40 - Sep 8 with 4784 viewsnorth_stand77

Sit by his bed every night and whisper repeatedly in his ear while he sleeps.

Simple brainwashing should rectify the situation.
Login to get fewer ads

Tell him to buy his own sh1tty Chelsea kit (n/t) on 22:48 - Sep 8 with 4781 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:48 - Sep 8 with 4776 viewsGodzilla

Oh well, it had to happen! on 22:39 - Sep 8 by GunnsAirkick

My wife is a scummer. When it comes to kids she is adamant that they will support the Budgies (we live in Norwich). If the choice is between them and Man Utd or Chelsea I will actively make them support the Budgies if they won't support Town. I cannot bear them going down the glory hunter route.

Man, this is a shocker, sort this out yourself, you may need to grow some.
Oh well, it had to happen! on 23:03 - Sep 8 with 4766 viewsSwansea_Blue

Makes sense to me. Support your locsl club and all that. There's more chance of them getting to games at Carrot road than in London, so more chance of them becoming football fans. If they choose to 'support' another team but never go to games then they'd not really be fans; more like those people at work who only come out of the woodwork when we play a big team in the cup - inevitably they are Liverpool or Man U fans, but have never been to the home ground. The sort of people you'd like to punch, hard. A 'proper' Norway fan is preferable to that.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

on 23:28 - Sep 8 with 4744 views_

Oh well, it had to happen! on 07:40 - Sep 9 with 4678 viewsTractorWood

Totally agree, sadly. I can still have a conversation with a Norwich fan about football they actually witness live. Even if they only want to talk about possession.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Oh well, it had to happen! on 07:45 - Sep 9 with 4678 viewsbrogansnose

I'd do the same Gunny.

I did indoctrinate my lad and gave him no choice whatsoever but he's happy with that now. His favourite line now when a Chelsea, Man U ect fan pops up is ' Oh yeah, get to many home games ?'
Oh well, it had to happen! on 07:48 - Sep 9 with 4672 viewsm14_blue

Move to Ipswich
Oh well, it had to happen! on 08:10 - Sep 9 with 4659 viewsBluefish

Keep taking him and getting him signed for junior blues. They all go through the glory club stage but if you play it right he will come round. Some fully grown posters on here still go through the glory club stages.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 9:55]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Oh well, it had to happen! on 08:34 - Sep 9 with 4632 viewsEly_Blue

Dare I ask how old is he?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Oh well, it had to happen! on 08:40 - Sep 9 with 4625 viewsDyland

Oh well, it had to happen! on 08:10 - Sep 9 by Bluefish

Keep taking him and getting him signed for junior blues. They all go through the glory club stage but if you play it right he will come round. Some fully grown posters on here still go through the glory club stages.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 9:55]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Oh well, it had to happen! on 08:48 - Sep 9 with 4614 viewsJ2BLUE

This is your failure. You could have ensured another soldier in the blue army. Instead you've helped kill football. Disgusted with you.

You do at least have the chance to salvage this if you're willing to invest the time. Lovebomb him. Say he can have his Chelsea shirt but you want to show him some things first. Take him to Planet Blue to see the pitch, buy him some ITFC branded tat, show him the statues outside the ground, watch the play off final with him, watch highlights of us beating Chelsea, offer to sign him up for the Junior Blues which would make him feel part of it.

We are counting on you. Report back for abuse/praise later.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 8:49]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oh well, it had to happen! on 09:15 - Sep 9 with 4596 viewsBlue_Armee

Oh well, it had to happen! on 19:52 - Sep 8 by SpruceMoose

You control his world at that age. Just deny Chelsea even exist.

I can relate to this as when I was a young boy I was a glory hunter and wanted to support the best team in Europe.

However because I was born in Norwich I was told I was not allowed to support Ipswich. Obviously I ignored the yellow idiots and my son's have both now grown up supporting ITFC.

They have had to go to school in Norwich and have had dogs abuse for years but they are blue through and through and I am so proud of them.

Hopefully in time your son will prefer to be part of what it means to be a Town fan, and I'm sure he will.

Poll: Mexit or McStay? Not what you want but what you think will actually happen

Oh well, it had to happen! on 09:29 - Sep 9 with 4589 viewsgt81

Oh well, it had to happen! on 19:52 - Sep 8 by SpruceMoose

You control his world at that age. Just deny Chelsea even exist.

Who?
Oh well, it had to happen! on 10:47 - Sep 9 with 4546 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 21:33 - Sep 8 by _

The thing is he was there for a week, training every day so he needed a few kits. I had his blue Ipswich, white Ipswich, Orange Ipswich and his England kit packed.

Other than Rangers he has no allegiance to Arsenal or Man U. Just gets the piss taken out of him by the other lads for supporting Ipswich.

Pointing out that we Beat Barcelona 3-0 and 1-0 40 years ago doesn't seem to impress his mates.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

on 11:00 - Sep 9 with 4533 views_

Oh well, it had to happen! on 10:47 - Sep 9 by GlasgowBlue

The thing is he was there for a week, training every day so he needed a few kits. I had his blue Ipswich, white Ipswich, Orange Ipswich and his England kit packed.

Other than Rangers he has no allegiance to Arsenal or Man U. Just gets the piss taken out of him by the other lads for supporting Ipswich.

Pointing out that we Beat Barcelona 3-0 and 1-0 40 years ago doesn't seem to impress his mates.

Oh well, it had to happen! on 11:13 - Sep 9 with 4528 viewsGavTWTD

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Oh well, it had to happen! on 11:40 - Sep 9 with 4504 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 11:00 - Sep 9 by _

They were going cheap in the Nike outlet at Tillicoultry.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024