Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Don't you hate modern football? 23:10 - Jun 14 with 9753 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Southampton have sacked their manager because they only finished 8th this season and didn't qualify for Europe. Though they did reach the League Cup final.

8th and a major final isn't enough for Southampton apparently.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:11 - Jun 14 with 8028 viewsKieran_Knows

I don't think they were best pleased with the style of football though....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:14 - Jun 14 with 8017 viewsRoyKeanesDog

If you think the League Cup is major final you belong north of the border mate.

Poll: Best Football Song

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:16 - Jun 14 with 8014 viewsSWGF

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:11 - Jun 14 by Kieran_Knows

I don't think they were best pleased with the style of football though....

Too defensive according to some. Players pleading with him to let them attack more.

Can't envisage such horror.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:17 - Jun 14 with 8008 viewsCoco

Style of football was boring fans to tears.

Take note Evans.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:18 - Jun 14 with 7994 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:14 - Jun 14 by RoyKeanesDog

Whilst it's nowhere near the FA Cup, it's a bit of a step up from their last final.. the Johnstone Pain Trophy

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:40 - Jun 14 with 7942 viewsJimmyJazz

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:14 - Jun 14 by RoyKeanesDog

just imagine us in a league cup final - Priskin 1-0

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:57 - Jun 14 with 7905 viewsStenvict

When I heard this earlier I was shocked, simply because I thought he'd been sacked 2 weeks ago. It was fairly obvious towards the end of the season he wouldn't be in charge next season.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:02 - Jun 15 with 7894 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Don't you hate modern football? on 23:18 - Jun 14 by The_Romford_Blue

Whilst it's nowhere near the FA Cup, it's a bit of a step up from their last final.. the Johnstone Pain Trophy

It's not classed as a major trophy though.

Login to get fewer ads

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:09 - Jun 15 with 7882 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:02 - Jun 15 by RoyKeanesDog

Maybe not

Though the Southampton fans were buzzing when they drew with Liverpool in the second leg at anfield to qualify for the final

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:25 - Jun 15 with 7857 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:09 - Jun 15 by The_Romford_Blue

Maybe not

Though the Southampton fans were buzzing when they drew with Liverpool in the second leg at anfield to qualify for the final

You were buzzing when we equalised away at Barnsley. Doesn't make it a major final.

Don't you hate modern football? on 01:09 - Jun 15 with 7826 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:25 - Jun 15 by RoyKeanesDog

You were buzzing when we equalised away at Barnsley. Doesn't make it a major final.

I'd take a League Cup Final now, as I would have done when the bastards (and Liverpool and Arsenal) knocked us out of the semis.

There are a couple of bigger prizes I know but we have to cut our cloth and I seem to remember the excitement against Arsenal relatively recently.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Don't you hate modern football? on 05:25 - Jun 15 with 7767 viewsitfctilidie

Don't you hate modern football? on 01:09 - Jun 15 by Lord_Lucan

I'd take a League Cup Final now, as I would have done when the bastards (and Liverpool and Arsenal) knocked us out of the semis.

There are a couple of bigger prizes I know but we have to cut our cloth and I seem to remember the excitement against Arsenal relatively recently.

(and Birmingham and Arsenal) knocked us out of the semis**
Don't you hate modern football? on 06:45 - Jun 15 with 7691 viewsNo9

The 'English' disease
Don't you hate modern football? on 07:33 - Jun 15 with 7607 viewsITFC_Forever

Southampton fans sick of the defensive football.

They've finished around 8th the last few seasons without having to bore the pants off everyone, so aren't impressed with Puel's methods.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Don't you hate modern football? on 07:44 - Jun 15 with 7595 viewsfactual_blue

Haven't you only ever known 'modern football'?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:25 - Jun 15 with 7488 viewsmaccyd9

Don't you hate modern football? on 07:33 - Jun 15 by ITFC_Forever

Southampton fans sick of the defensive football.

They've finished around 8th the last few seasons without having to bore the pants off everyone, so aren't impressed with Puel's methods.

More importantly they believe they can get a better manager and isn't that what it's about? Progression?

They've been linked with Tuchel so really, the decision to sack him should only be reviewed against who replaces him.

I seem to remember the same outcry when they replaced Adkins with Pochettino. Didn't work out too badly did it.
Don't you hate modern football? on 09:34 - Jun 15 with 7455 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:25 - Jun 15 by RoyKeanesDog

Whether it's major or not isn't important. Winning it gets you into Europe, and even though that's the 2nd tier European competition it then makes it easier to attract players. Besides the second tier of European football isn't so bad in it's own right - we seem to have made plenty of mileage out of it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:38 - Jun 15 with 7450 viewsLankHenners

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:25 - Jun 15 by maccyd9

More importantly they believe they can get a better manager and isn't that what it's about? Progression?

They've been linked with Tuchel so really, the decision to sack him should only be reviewed against who replaces him.

I seem to remember the same outcry when they replaced Adkins with Pochettino. Didn't work out too badly did it.

The whole sacking Adkins, getting in Pochettino maneuver was masterminded by former chairman Nicola Cortese, on a system put into place by former owner Markus Liebherr (before his death). Cortese has since left after disagreements with current owner Katharina Liebherr, so it's not really the same behind the scenes at the top.

Point being, I wouldn't be so hasty to make an immediate comparison to Adkins/Pochettino. Saints fans have a bit of concern that the more impulsive way the club is working now could undo one of the tightest and best executed plans put into place when Liebherr and Cortese oversaw a club with -10 points in League 1 to 8th in the Premier League.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:41 - Jun 15 with 7432 viewsITFC_Forever

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:25 - Jun 15 by maccyd9

Very true - if you think you improve the team, then you bring in a better player, or in this case manager.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Don't you hate modern football? on 09:59 - Jun 15 with 7387 viewsPendejo

Don't you hate modern football? on 00:02 - Jun 15 by RoyKeanesDog

Not until we win it eh?

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Don't you hate modern football? on 10:00 - Jun 15 with 7377 viewschicoazul

No i dont hate it. If you have a target as a Manager and you fail to hit it then you get moved on. Puel was probably on IEO £1m a year and will be getting paid that until he gets a new job for the length of his contract.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Don't you hate modern football? on 10:04 - Jun 15 with 7365 viewsLord_Lucan

Don't you hate modern football? on 05:25 - Jun 15 by itfctilidie

(and Birmingham and Arsenal) knocked us out of the semis**

**And Liverpool.

I had forgotten about Birmingham.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Don't you hate modern football? on 10:10 - Jun 15 with 7350 viewsstickymockwell

8th was a great finish, but it was a strange season in the fact 6 points separated them from 17th and then it was a massive jump to Everton who finished 15 points ahead of them. they were closer to relegation in terms of points than they were to the team above them.
Plus they played crappy football.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Don't you hate modern football? on 10:13 - Jun 15 with 7348 viewsCaptainObvious

Agreed. Ipswich finished in the lowest position for 50 odd years and the manager just decides if we wants to stay or not. Crazy modern football.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Don't you hate modern football? on 10:15 - Jun 15 with 7347 viewsOsborneOneNil

Romford, I go to 3 or 4 Saints games a year and last season was woeful, especially when compared to the exciting breed of attacking football they've served up for the years previous. No goals in the last 5 home games, for example.

You saying it's awful they've sacked him is the same as the outside world continually saying that MM is doing wonderful at Town and working a miracle. No, he's not, he's killing the fan base off by playing boring, negative, dull football.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024