Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel 09:12 - Jan 28 with 1310 viewsYppswyche

Despite all the practise we got last season, we still find it difficult to break down teams set up to frustrate with neutralising defensive tactics or a low block. Maidstone were very lucky but they also defended like beasts.

We’ve drawn 8 games this season, 2 against Leicester, 1 against the Budgies, then the remaining 5 against teams in the bottom six places in the table.. it’s a pattern, and a lot more teams are going to set up to frustrate us through the back half of the season.

We’re also surprisingly wasteful for a team that has scored so many goals in 18 months. The squads a lovely bunch of guys, super talented footballers, playing beautiful stuff, but we don’t often have a ruthless edge really, nor do we have a proper goal b*stard who would sell his granny to rustle the onion sack
Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 09:18 - Jan 28 with 1246 viewsDubtractor

Ha, I like the term 'proper goal b@stard'. And we really could do with one.

Generally agree with what you've posted too, we do struggle against teams that set out to frustrate, and in this division, with better/fitter defenders doing the frustrating, it is even tougher to break down. That's what Norwich did to us(second half especially), the second half against both QPR and Stoke followed that pattern too.

That's clearly part of why we've brought Sarmiento into the squad, and getting 2 strikers in this week will hopefully complete the jigsaw.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 09:59 - Jan 28 with 1135 viewsitfcserbia

We had 38 shots over 90 something minutes. How much of breaking down would you need to get a goal? I'd say we'd "broken" them down quite enough, it was the finishing that was missing (pun intended). Their keeper made 12 saves, most of those were made fairly easy with again poor finishing.

My impression was that our players started very well, breaking them down attack after attack and after 15 minutes it should've been 3:0 and they sort of felt that and (maybe even unconsciously) thought this is going to be easy. That's where it went wrong, all in hindsight of course...

Semper fidelis!
Poll: Would you sack Paul Cook?

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 10:16 - Jan 28 with 1056 viewsPlums

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 09:18 - Jan 28 by Dubtractor

Ha, I like the term 'proper goal b@stard'. And we really could do with one.

Generally agree with what you've posted too, we do struggle against teams that set out to frustrate, and in this division, with better/fitter defenders doing the frustrating, it is even tougher to break down. That's what Norwich did to us(second half especially), the second half against both QPR and Stoke followed that pattern too.

That's clearly part of why we've brought Sarmiento into the squad, and getting 2 strikers in this week will hopefully complete the jigsaw.

Most teams do struggle to break down teams like that. It's never going to be easy and usually requires an element of luck or serious bravery e.g. give them throw ins in our own half to force them out.

I think this challenge is presented as a McKenna failing but in reality the best sides in the world face this problem week in week out. How many times have we seen talented England sides have difficulty against so called minor teams?
For me it's a puzzle to solve, not a specific criticism of our set up that's particularly fair.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 10:21 - Jan 28 with 1016 viewsFrimleyBlue

16 shots on target. 3 off woodwork. Etc

I think we broke them down with ease tbh.

Re watching the game again. Apart from the actual finishing there is nothing wrong with our performance yesterday.

Time and Time again we got at them. We got through them. Their keeper turned into the world's best keeper for the day. But also our finishing obviously was awful in some attempts. The crazy thing is the non league striker scored with a lovely chipped finish.. our multi million broadhead had a one on one and placed it to the keepers foot. I mean come on.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 10:41 - Jan 28 with 968 viewsStokieBlue

I think as a fanbase we are really in danger of over-analysing this performance.

We had 37 shots, they had 2. On virtually any other day we win that comfortably, one of the shots in the first 5 minutes goes in off the post and we romp away.

On any performance graph there are tails, yesterday was a tail event and should be treated as such. You could even split it into attacking and defending graphs and it would be a tail event on both of those given the 2 shots and 2 goals stat.

So I think if one takes an analytical look at it then it was just one of those events that happens from time to time. I'm not even sure we need to change much apart from getting that focal point striker but even then a tail event like yesterday can happen.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 12:25 - Jan 28 with 845 viewsYppswyche

Yep, I mentioned the lack of clinical finishing in general, and the need for someone who adds that edge, and also that we were very, very unlucky, but I would say that a lot of the shots on target yesterday were scuffed and rushed as the lads were harried well by their 10 men behind the ball. Credit to them, as Town played well, but other than Broadhead’s one on one miss and Fridge’s free header there weren’t many clear openings made despite the domination and the bonkers shot count.

This game was an obvious freak outlier, but I used it open the convo that despite us playing fantastic football and being 2nd in the league, it’s noticeable that the games we’ve dropped points in most are against the lowest placed sides, which considering those teams points totals isn’t played out against a lot of their opponents.

Not critical of KMc, or the team, merely pointing out the trend for discussion
Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 12:49 - Jan 28 with 784 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 09:59 - Jan 28 by itfcserbia

We had 38 shots over 90 something minutes. How much of breaking down would you need to get a goal? I'd say we'd "broken" them down quite enough, it was the finishing that was missing (pun intended). Their keeper made 12 saves, most of those were made fairly easy with again poor finishing.

My impression was that our players started very well, breaking them down attack after attack and after 15 minutes it should've been 3:0 and they sort of felt that and (maybe even unconsciously) thought this is going to be easy. That's where it went wrong, all in hindsight of course...

Not many clear cut opportunities in that lot. A lot of pop shots from 20 yards out and weak as piss headers of floaty little chips into the box. Creating quality chances was an issue whatever the headline stats for attempts was.

But yes, a bit more luck in the first 15-20 minutes when the post was their best defender and it could have been very different.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:22 - Jan 28 with 714 viewskpblues

Also worrying was the Maidstone manager saying " we knew Ipswich's limitations".

Curious to know what those limitations are.
Obviously they are widely known.

Could it be that we play high so are easily get caught on the counter or is it that we can't breakdown teams who park the bus.

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Login to get fewer ads

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:33 - Jan 28 with 679 viewsFrimleyBlue

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:22 - Jan 28 by kpblues

Also worrying was the Maidstone manager saying " we knew Ipswich's limitations".

Curious to know what those limitations are.
Obviously they are widely known.

Could it be that we play high so are easily get caught on the counter or is it that we can't breakdown teams who park the bus.

It's laughable tbh.

They scored from our corner because our tracker was injured. Then scored from a foul not given.

What ever limitations they knew of.. They didn't show it imo just got lucky which is fair play to them.. but to make it seem like a masterplan is going to far imo.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:37 - Jan 28 with 669 viewsBseaBlue

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 10:21 - Jan 28 by FrimleyBlue

16 shots on target. 3 off woodwork. Etc

I think we broke them down with ease tbh.

Re watching the game again. Apart from the actual finishing there is nothing wrong with our performance yesterday.

Time and Time again we got at them. We got through them. Their keeper turned into the world's best keeper for the day. But also our finishing obviously was awful in some attempts. The crazy thing is the non league striker scored with a lovely chipped finish.. our multi million broadhead had a one on one and placed it to the keepers foot. I mean come on.

Excellent post this. Certain things didn't go our way but we definitely broke them down.

Hopefully 2 strikers come in and that will add to sticking the ball in the back of the net.
Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:40 - Jan 28 with 653 viewspointofblue

As an aside, didn’t realise Stoke were in the bottom six.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Yesterday highlighted what is still our Achilles heel on 13:57 - Jan 28 with 602 viewsTrequartista

Of those draws, I would say only QPR where we were woefully under strength was the result of not breaking down a team, and they did plenty of attacking as well. All the others were away from home where we weren't facing a low block and Leicester. All other home games we've scored at least 2 goals, which is quite remarkable.
[Post edited 28 Jan 13:57]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024