Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker for Saturday 15:54 - Jan 8 with 4453 viewsbluesbrothers

Feeling a bit flat as was sure we’d get someone in first week of Jan. We really can’t afford to go in to the game Saturday without someone in place.

Anyone know when Stansfields recall window is?
Striker for Saturday on 15:56 - Jan 8 with 3434 viewsKieran_Knows

I imagine it will be Broadhead or Jackson through the middle.

I think it'll be latter part of the window before we see a striker through the door.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Striker for Saturday on 15:59 - Jan 8 with 3390 viewsHerbivore

Even if we sign a striker this week there's no guarantee they'd start on Saturday after only a few days with the squad. The way we play takes a bit of time for new signings to adjust to. I suspect we'll see Jackson up front on Saturday as his pressing will be useful as Sunderland like to build from the back. He could give that lummox Ballard absolute kittens in fairness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Striker for Saturday on 16:05 - Jan 8 with 3296 viewsLankHenners

Similarly don't want to go into the game with the options we currently have up front but we probably will so I'd go Jackson - his work rate and willingness to charge players down more suited to this game but hope the chances fall to Chaplin instead.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Striker for Saturday on 16:06 - Jan 8 with 3294 views_clive_baker_

I wouldn't be holding my breath about getting Stansfield tbh. With Mogga in there now they'll be doing everything to keep him, and from Fulham's perspective he'll be getting valuable experience under a very experienced manager.

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't have a new forward in time for Sunderland, certainly not to start the game. My guess is:

Hladky
Clarke Woolfenden Edmundson Humphreys
Travis Luongo
Burns Chaplin Broadhead
Jackson

Assuming Davis is still out. Hard one to call though as Williams might be OK to come back in. There's also the option to play Tuanzebe at right back and switch Clarke, although a right footed left back is sub optimal, especially with such an onus on them getting forward and I don't really like Clarke on that side. Further forward he might start Broadhead up top and bring Hutchinson, Harness or Sarmiento in from the start. Or Ladapo in a straight change for Jackson. Its also questionable whether Travis comes straight in too, I just think it's perhaps more likely than Luongo and Taylor together which I don't believe is a pairing we've seen all season.

Hard to call.
Striker for Saturday on 16:09 - Jan 8 with 3248 viewsbournemouthblue

Striker for Saturday on 15:59 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

Even if we sign a striker this week there's no guarantee they'd start on Saturday after only a few days with the squad. The way we play takes a bit of time for new signings to adjust to. I suspect we'll see Jackson up front on Saturday as his pressing will be useful as Sunderland like to build from the back. He could give that lummox Ballard absolute kittens in fairness.

I actually thought Jackson did alright at Stoke, it looks like he had a better understanding of the role than he did when he has just been thrown in there previously

Ladapo looks so off it now, I don't think there is much way back for him now

I fear he probably is a League One slayer but not really suited to our system, he probably needs a partner to do the donkey work.

It's a shame but I imagine we will sign someone more like Hirst and move on.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Striker for Saturday on 16:10 - Jan 8 with 3241 viewsReusersTown

Striker for Saturday on 15:59 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

I think the counter to that would be that neither Jackson nor Ladapo allow us to play the way we usually play.
Striker for Saturday on 16:15 - Jan 8 with 3149 viewsHerbivore

Striker for Saturday on 16:10 - Jan 8 by ReusersTown

I think the counter to that would be that neither Jackson nor Ladapo allow us to play the way we usually play.

Jackson does more so than Ladapo as he runs across the line well to stretch the back 4. Worth noting he did the role to pretty good effect for most of the home game with Leicester and for the home game with Leeds. In both of those games we created and threatened well against good sides. He's not like for like but he can do a passable job up there, he occupies defenders pretty well.

Striker for Saturday on 16:17 - Jan 8 with 3114 viewsZx1988

Fairly low key, but who had 'Monday afternoon' on the sweepstake?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Login to get fewer ads

Striker for Saturday on 16:20 - Jan 8 with 3075 views_clive_baker_

Striker for Saturday on 16:15 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

Jackson does more so than Ladapo as he runs across the line well to stretch the back 4. Worth noting he did the role to pretty good effect for most of the home game with Leicester and for the home game with Leeds. In both of those games we created and threatened well against good sides. He's not like for like but he can do a passable job up there, he occupies defenders pretty well.

I would definitely much rather Jackson than Ladapo. Personally I would almost stop considering the latter as an option, other than someone to throw off the bench if we're in search of a goal, he's OK in and around the box.

As you say Jackson is always a willing runner and was decent against Leeds and Leicester. Certainly doesn't make the same intelligent runs as Hirst, but has the physical attributes and the will at least.
Striker for Saturday on 16:23 - Jan 8 with 3028 viewsNthQldITFC

Good point re the Leicester game particularly.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Striker for Saturday on 16:35 - Jan 8 with 2905 viewsSomethingBlue

Could be very wrong but I think the chase for a serious Hirst replacement will go to the wire and there are no guarantees. It's an absolute dogfight for strikers at the moment, not just here but around Europe, and most sellers will hold onto their cards for as long as possible. We have been very good in the transfer market for 18 months now but even by recent standards I'll be hugely impressed if we can get a player of the required level. Aware this is not the most positive take!

Jackson to start for me, though – we know how to make it work well-ish with him up there even though it's far from perfect.
[Post edited 8 Jan 16:36]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Striker for Saturday on 16:38 - Jan 8 with 2854 viewsBobbychase

After everything Gamechanger and Ashton have done in transfer windows over the past two years, this is a depressing post. We're eight days in

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Striker for Saturday on 16:40 - Jan 8 with 2823 views_clive_baker_

Striker for Saturday on 16:35 - Jan 8 by SomethingBlue

Could be very wrong but I think the chase for a serious Hirst replacement will go to the wire and there are no guarantees. It's an absolute dogfight for strikers at the moment, not just here but around Europe, and most sellers will hold onto their cards for as long as possible. We have been very good in the transfer market for 18 months now but even by recent standards I'll be hugely impressed if we can get a player of the required level. Aware this is not the most positive take!

Jackson to start for me, though – we know how to make it work well-ish with him up there even though it's far from perfect.

I agree Somethingy, we might have to be patient.

Jackson is at least suited to our approach. Him with Burns, Chaplin and Broadhead behind all know the system very well, and know how to execute it. I think that's the most likely, at least to beat them up for for the first 60 - 70 minutes, at which point Hutchinson, Sarmiento and co can be introduced against tired legs, perhaps with Broadhead / Ladapo at the top of the 4.
Striker for Saturday on 16:49 - Jan 8 with 2723 viewsIllinoisblue

Striker for Saturday on 16:40 - Jan 8 by _clive_baker_

I agree Somethingy, we might have to be patient.

Jackson is at least suited to our approach. Him with Burns, Chaplin and Broadhead behind all know the system very well, and know how to execute it. I think that's the most likely, at least to beat them up for for the first 60 - 70 minutes, at which point Hutchinson, Sarmiento and co can be introduced against tired legs, perhaps with Broadhead / Ladapo at the top of the 4.

But if we fail to get any of our top level targets, whoever they may be, surely we’ll take a punt on a lower league up and coming striker. To not sign a striker in this window would be the first misstep of the new owners. Obvs there’s no guarantee a big money signing would work just as there’s no guarantee that any new player will fit in, but to do nothing just doesn’t seem a likely choice.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Striker for Saturday on 16:54 - Jan 8 with 2661 viewsEssexBloo

Striker for Saturday on 16:35 - Jan 8 by SomethingBlue

I agree it feels like we will have to be patient on this one.

Given the market and that we can’t spend top end fees with FFP I think it’s unlikely we will get the general ‘wow’ factor that some people may be after. However, with Ashton and McKenna I’m sure any signing will add value and be fairly shrewd.
Striker for Saturday on 16:55 - Jan 8 with 2658 views_clive_baker_

Striker for Saturday on 16:49 - Jan 8 by Illinoisblue

But if we fail to get any of our top level targets, whoever they may be, surely we’ll take a punt on a lower league up and coming striker. To not sign a striker in this window would be the first misstep of the new owners. Obvs there’s no guarantee a big money signing would work just as there’s no guarantee that any new player will fit in, but to do nothing just doesn’t seem a likely choice.

I can't see us doing nothing. We needed someone before Hirst got injured, we need it even more now. I'm sure something will happen, I just make it unlikely that we'll have said addition as an option for Saturday. Its true that its competitive out there though, everyone wants a forward so it's not an easy deal to do I imagine. Will probably rely on a few dominos falling further up the chain, just as there's likely a club further down the chain waiting on us to recruit before they take Ladapo.
Striker for Saturday on 16:57 - Jan 8 with 2611 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Striker for Saturday on 15:56 - Jan 8 by Kieran_Knows

I imagine it will be Broadhead or Jackson through the middle.

I think it'll be latter part of the window before we see a striker through the door.

If that's the case we'll be third soon because while Jackson works hard, he's not Hirst and Broadhead is better in the midfield than in that position. We need a Hirst replacement x2, no iffs or buts, if that's the system we play we cannot limp on with Jackson, Ladapo or another in a makeshift if we are going to make the automatics with Southampton and Leeds being as good as they are. We will also struggle on Saturday in my view if we try the limp on approach.
Striker for Saturday on 16:58 - Jan 8 with 2604 viewsBobbychase

Striker for Saturday on 16:55 - Jan 8 by _clive_baker_

I can't see us doing nothing. We needed someone before Hirst got injured, we need it even more now. I'm sure something will happen, I just make it unlikely that we'll have said addition as an option for Saturday. Its true that its competitive out there though, everyone wants a forward so it's not an easy deal to do I imagine. Will probably rely on a few dominos falling further up the chain, just as there's likely a club further down the chain waiting on us to recruit before they take Ladapo.

They were going to sign someone as backup to Hirst anyway, now we need more bodies.

People just need to be patient. Do we want someone in NOW just to tick a box or wait a bit and get the right person? Short memories - our transfer business last January was the difference between automatic and play-offs.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Striker for Saturday on 16:58 - Jan 8 with 2598 viewsIllinoisblue

Striker for Saturday on 16:55 - Jan 8 by _clive_baker_

It is like one massive housing chain albeit slightly more exciting. And in some ways just as nerve wracking.

I don’t recall the original purpose of the January window or what the benefits are. Surprised some club hasn’t moved against it for restraint of trade.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Striker for Saturday on 17:00 - Jan 8 with 2582 viewsHerbivore

Striker for Saturday on 16:57 - Jan 8 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

If that's the case we'll be third soon because while Jackson works hard, he's not Hirst and Broadhead is better in the midfield than in that position. We need a Hirst replacement x2, no iffs or buts, if that's the system we play we cannot limp on with Jackson, Ladapo or another in a makeshift if we are going to make the automatics with Southampton and Leeds being as good as they are. We will also struggle on Saturday in my view if we try the limp on approach.

When was the last time you had a dry night?

Striker for Saturday on 17:01 - Jan 8 with 2559 viewsFrimleyBlue

Striker for Saturday on 17:00 - Jan 8 by Herbivore

When was the last time you had a dry night?

Out of curiosity herbz. What have they said which you dint agree with?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Striker for Saturday on 17:10 - Jan 8 with 2470 views_clive_baker_

Striker for Saturday on 17:01 - Jan 8 by FrimleyBlue

Out of curiosity herbz. What have they said which you dint agree with?

The suggestion that we'll actively adopt an approach to 'limp on' is a bit ridiculous for a start. It clearly isn't a strategic approach we'll opt into voluntarily. The club has made no secret of the fact we're trying to strengthen up front, even KM's pre and post match spoke about it as a priority area. We're quite clearly in the market.

Our hands are somewhat tied though, it's not football manager. The intersection of the Venn diagram between 'available', 'in budget' and 'better than what we've got already' probably isn't too vast, and is unlikely to throw up a 'Hirst replacement x2'. If it was as straight forward as that everyone would be doing it.

I would guess we've got a few targets in mind but the selling clubs need to strengthen before they let them go.
Striker for Saturday on 17:13 - Jan 8 with 2421 viewsFrimleyBlue

Striker for Saturday on 17:10 - Jan 8 by _clive_baker_

The suggestion that we'll actively adopt an approach to 'limp on' is a bit ridiculous for a start. It clearly isn't a strategic approach we'll opt into voluntarily. The club has made no secret of the fact we're trying to strengthen up front, even KM's pre and post match spoke about it as a priority area. We're quite clearly in the market.

Our hands are somewhat tied though, it's not football manager. The intersection of the Venn diagram between 'available', 'in budget' and 'better than what we've got already' probably isn't too vast, and is unlikely to throw up a 'Hirst replacement x2'. If it was as straight forward as that everyone would be doing it.

I would guess we've got a few targets in mind but the selling clubs need to strengthen before they let them go.

I don't see them saying we would be adapting that approach on purpose. Just that by not signing a striker anytime soon we are indeed just limping on with what we've got which doesn't give out a lot of confidence about it. I feel they are feeling the same as the large majority of fans at present.

There's an understanding from all that things take time.. but whilst we go through that wait we are making do with what we have.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Striker for Saturday on 17:17 - Jan 8 with 2368 viewsReusersTown

I'd definitely agree with that but would also say that it's evident that we've been comparatively toothless in the last two games, so would definitely role the dice, if we had dice to roll.
Striker for Saturday on 17:19 - Jan 8 with 2339 views_clive_baker_

Striker for Saturday on 17:13 - Jan 8 by FrimleyBlue

I don't see them saying we would be adapting that approach on purpose. Just that by not signing a striker anytime soon we are indeed just limping on with what we've got which doesn't give out a lot of confidence about it. I feel they are feeling the same as the large majority of fans at present.

There's an understanding from all that things take time.. but whilst we go through that wait we are making do with what we have.

We're making do out of necessity. I don't believe for a second its a lack of appetite or willingness to invest. And if we agree on that, then I'm not sure what the club is meant to do. The only alternative at this stage would be to add players that aren't any better than what we've got, and you've been critical of that yourself in the past with Ahadme.

We can't magic these players up. If they were out there and deals to be done, they would've been done already. It'll happen as soon as they're feasible, people need to relax.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024